Your car "Then" and Now

29 Chandler

Wasn't this car the subset of a thread as to its year, series, ect from an auction listing? Neat car......fun history.

Ed- Yes, it was  discussed last November/December before it was sold at auction. In the thread, it was incorrectly stated that the car had the wrong engine. The car was called a 1909 for many years which is how the auction company listed it-which is also the date on the title. The Model 16s were built in 1909 and 1910, but this car retains 1910 features and is appropriately numbered on the frame and engine.

There are some upgrades to the engine that were done in the teens or twenties, but the engine is correct for a 1910 Model 16. The car still retains its original frame tag and Selden patent plate and, of course, the crankcase retains a proper 1910 Model 16 engine number. Not many of the surviving Model 16s retain their original frame tag and Selden plates. The engine modifications are basically a water pump that is now driven by the magneto drive instead of the troublesome Model 16 crankcase mounted water pump, oilers on the rocker arms, and a later Rayfield carburetor with a modified intake manifold and an added vacuum tank. All of these are actually improvements from the original Model 16 design, although I will probably lengthen the down pipe of the intake manifold a little and go back to gravity feed for the carburetor. The gas tanks are high enough relative to the carburetor that gravity feed will be more than adequate.

The body of the car is basically as it was found in the 1930s photo. The cowl assembly, seat assembly and seat frame are original (as are the floorboards, fenders, hood, splash aprons, etc). The seat riser was modified which can be seen in the old 1930s photo. At some point a second external 1911-1912'ish Buick gas tank was added and the rear deck wood was modified. It still has the original 1910 Model 16 gas tank under the seat and it is plumbed to use either or both tanks.

10 Buick 7.jpg

10 Buick 6.jpg

10 Buick 8.jpg

10 Buick 12.jpg

10 Buick 10.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with ED, NEAT CAR. Nice to see you have taken off some of the "equipment" added to return it to the way it looked as close as possible when built. The modifications mechanically: if they work and make the car more useable and are of the type that can be corrected "eventually" then i would leave as is, with adjustments to look like they were done "in the era" . ( that phrase seems to have become my new by word) . Happy that the car now has an owner /caretaker that will share it with all by driving it down the road.

W

On 8/29/2021 at 6:37 PM, SC38DLS said:

Waiting for insurance and hoping I get to fix it and not total it.

In this state total is just an economic decision to not pay any more money. Do not give the insurance company the title, and you keep ownership. Might affect the insurance payout, as total price includes salvage value, but keep the car!

Definitely talk with Ed.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

Some beautiful cars....

444014884_1933GrahamBrillon.jpg.87ffcc73684bf5dcb507b0918bd8a46f.jpg

My 1933 Graham taken in 1935 with my Aunts and Uncles, my Mom was not born yet, the young lady on the left is now 92.

1721944935_1933Graham.jpg.cc83f78e04624a534912d0f007c11767.jpg

My Mom in the Graham when she was about 10, 1953?  Must have been a last ride, it was sold around that time.

1195799371_Summer2020small.jpg.f911382dda4482cb5dd95de4937380c5.jpg

Found and bought the Graham back in 1999,  the Out for a drive last fall

• Like 21

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Will that Buick out perform your 1912 Ford, that is the question. Bob 

Millard Newman always said that the two best cars to take on one of his challenging Transcon Tours were a pre-1915 Silver Ghost or Model T Ford. Since I never owned (and will never own) a pre-1915 Ghost, I took my Ford. For reliability and  "get there and back security", my money will always be on the Ford. If I could only own one old car, it would be a brass Model T.

That being said, a Model 16 Buick has been on my "cars to own" list since I road in Francois Therou's car at a SoCal HCCA Holiday Motor Excursion when I was a kid. These cars hardly ever come up for sale and, typically, I was never in a position to own one. I guess. Sometimes you just get lucky and the motoring stars align.

• Like 2

The January 1987 "AUTO LOCATOR "ad for my 1937 Buick. I drove it home from Holidaysburg, PA.

57 wounderful miles untill the clutch went out and had to have a rollback the remainder ofthe trip.

680487185_1937Ad001(1024x549).jpg.c84bf2ca51a33ffe4ff6d1c0afd1fb82.jpg

Where it had resided in my garage for 25 years untill I was able to get it back together.DSCF1349.JPG.7ea3eb079c038c05968226beff9630cf.JPG

On its way to the shop April 2012 for it's "Driver Restoration".

DSCF1356.JPG.cfc2239fb659c48ced60a5bbd30437d7.JPG

2017 BCA National at Brookfield Wis.

DSCF6136.JPG.ffc8dd5cdd73b9ef50f1c2fe52c9189f.JPG

On the way home from our Mason/Dixon picnic. August 1st 202120210801_190034.jpg.e7072ac7472f7dbdc35636551781262c.jpg

After a month we are still trying to get a settlement from the other fellow's insurance since he was at fault.

My J.C. Taylor carrier would give me what I had it insured for (not enough I am sad to say) and I could keep the car. The other company wanted all my invoices of work performed and then would not accept them since they were over a year old! Also they stated a $2,500 buy back. Which left me slightly over what my company would give.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

Millard Newman always said that the two best cars to take on one of his challenging Transcon Tours were a pre-1915 Silver Ghost or Model T Ford. Since I never owned (and will never own) a pre-1915 Ghost, I took my Ford. For reliability and  "get there and back security", my money will always be on the Ford. If I could only own one old car, it would be a brass Model T.

That being said, a Model 16 Buick has been on my "cars to own" list since I road in Francois Therou's car at a SoCal HCCA Holiday Motor Excursion when I was a kid. These cars hardly ever come up for sale and, typically, I was never in a position to own one. I guess. Sometimes you just get lucky and the motoring stars align.

I remember reading about that Model 16, think it was the most famous one. If you were to build a Toy Tonneau body would it fit on your chassis? 

Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I remember reading about that Model 16, think it was the most famous one. If you were to build a Toy Tonneau body would it fit on your chassis? 

Bob 

The Model 16 was made as either a tourabout, toy tonneau, or roadster.  Therou's car was a tourabout. The chassis, hood, front and rear fenders,splash aprons, running boards, front cowl, front seat assembly and back deck assembly are the same for all models. The only difference is what type of rear body was fitted onto the back deck behind the front seat. Since my car still has the original gas tank underneath the front seat, it was most likely originally sold as either a tourabout or toy tonneau. The roadster came with a large, exterior gas tank mounted on the rear deck.

Since I have no plans to restore the car other than to do the essential mechanical repairs to make it a reliable driver, it will remain the same cosmetically. I like the look of the car just as it looks today. Plus, I am a speedster kind of guy so this car, it its current form, fits the bill just fine. To do a complete restoration on the car would be too involved and the car would loose its 110 year old accumulated charm. 

Interesting side note: the Therou car was recently resold and now lives about 15 miles from me!!! Small world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

On the way home from our Mason/Dixon picnic. August 1st 2021

After a month we are still trying to get a settlement form the other fellow's insurance since he was at fault.

My J.C. Taylor carrier would give me what I had it insured for (not enough I am sad to say) and I could keep the car. The other company wanted all my invoices of work performed and then would not accept them since they were over a year old! Also they stated a $2,500 buy back. Which left me slightly over what my company would give.

Ouch! I am so saddened to learn of this misfortune. Your insurance company might be able to fight them for you, perhaps? I sure wish you the best. 

On 9/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Will that Buick out perform your 1912 Ford, that is the question. Bob 

Define "out perform".  I have put maybe 3,000 miles on the Buick including over 1000 miles so far this year since we bought the car.  With the Old Car Festival & the Lansing-Dearborn tour this coming week and the Red Flag Tour in Iowa later in September we will put on another 500 or more miles.  The '13 car is a great great tour car.  For comfort and reliability it is the "go to car".  Top shelf quality.

As to the Model T, it is a very different car.  Light weight, smaller vehicle, but it runs well so far.  I am still  "sorting it out" since we have only had it about a year and a half.  It is running better as I continue to fix items.  Hopefully it will have new paint, upholstery, top, and all of the mechanicals checked by next spring. 

I have the different vehicles because I tour with different groups and utilize different cars. One car will not cross all of the groups that my wife and I tour with.  The two reasons that I bought a '12 T is to be able to tour with a group that only allows '12 & older cars in the group.  I could have bought any '12 and older car but the second reason is if the Model T Club does another coast to coast tour in maybe '28 or so, God willing and the creek don't rise my wife and I are going to take our two grandsons on that tour.  They should be about 11 & 14.  We figure that if we get to go on that tour together the boys will either hate us, love us, but they will NEVER FORGET us. 🙂.  Just giving the money is somewhat meaningless but giving them experiences will last their lifetime.

Our only reason for owning the cars is to drive them, and we do.  If you do not drive them collect stamps or coins.

• Like 3

The history of my 1915 McLaughlin touring car is known from new.  When I acquired the car from a man who owned it from 1969 until 2015 he gave me this B & W photograph from a TV series the McLaughlin had starred in.  The next picture is the owner and his son in 2015 the day I took the car home and the last photo is following a long restoration and was taken Saturday two miles from my home.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5525 (2).JPG

DSC_1399 (2).jpg

DSC_5504 (2).JPG

• Like 8

On 8/31/2021 at 9:10 AM, PFindlay said:

One more for me ... my 1910 Russell-Knight.  Russell cars were built in Toronto from 1905 - 1916.  They began building Knight engined cars in 1910 using Daimler-Knight engines.

Top picture:  it's a little hard to tell, but I'm 99% certain this is my car.  The picture was taken in 1912 in Perth, Ontario.  The occasion was a flower parade celebrating the opening of the annual fair at the brand new fairgrounds.  The picture was labelled as "The Senator's car."  The Senator was Peter McLaren, a very wealthy lumber baron and federally appointed senator.  The newspaper said his son Willie was driving in the parade.   ....

I'm still researching the story of this car, so if anyone has further info please contact me.

1924350621_Russellthenandnow2.jpg.99d291380b602643246262ad77e14ea5.jpg

UPDATE:  Today I received a couple of manuals that had been in the previous owner's collection.  Included was a 1910 Russell-Knight parts book.  Hand written inside the cover was the name W. L. McLaren (the senator's son) along with the serial number and engine number of my car.   This confirms that the car in the 1912 flower parade is my car.  A great find!

• Like 8

These photos show the original owner of my 1915 Buick C25, and a current view.  I am sixth owner of this car; the only car of mine for which the full ownership history is known.

Biddle w Buick.jpg

P5161853.JPG

• Like 11

The 1932 Cadillac pictured was recovered from a barn in Pennsylvania around 1963 by the previous owner. It had been stored in his garage till 2013, when he passed it on to me. I had been advised to run from this project and run fast. Not willing to follow good advice, here it is how it looks today. Still work in progress.

I believe this picture was taken in 1971

PICT0039.JPG.fb823cadef6f950fdb27240cc58afcbe.JPG

August 2013

13517025_IMG_2220(1024x768)(Medium).jpg.9c5cdf450641040a76f47c196b9f3fda.jpg

September 2021

179053164_DSCN5164(Medium).JPG.01028aadfef710d72a47539747fd43c9.JPG

• Like 15

This thread kinda makes me sad,  of course you can see my car's "before" pic as my Avatar.

It now sits partially restored in an enclosed car trailer at home.

A long story of patience and money,  I ran out of one,  and it wasn't the spendable one. 

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand.

The personalized license plate I was going to get would have read NVR-AGN!

I don't think it was supposed to be this way.  I entered into this with a quote from the shop doing the work and my good faith.

I got tired of explaining to family and friends why my car wasn't done and we were a year past expected completion date AND over budget.....  was the only person keeping track of how much was spent and what stage the car was at the guy writing the checks?

And very hard to look at the Studey and Buick crashes. Best of luck you guys.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, Alex D. said:

The 1932 Cadillac pictured was recovered from a barn in Pennsylvania around 1963 by the previous owner. It had been stored in his garage till 2013, when he passed it on to me. I had been advised to run from this project and run fast. Not willing to follow good advice, here it is how it looks today. Still work in progress.

I believe this picture was taken in 1971

PICT0039.JPG.fb823cadef6f950fdb27240cc58afcbe.JPG

August 2013

September 2021

Your Caddy is gorgeous now, Alex D. Great post. And I cannot help but admire that 2-door Pontiac station wagon in the background of your first photo, regardless of its rough appearance. I confess that I was unaware that Pontiac even made a 2-door wagon that year OTHER than the Safari (the 57 Safari was Pontiac's version of the Chevy Nomad). I don't think I have ever seen a 2-door non-Safari 57 Pontiac wagon. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

Along with what 1937McBuick had said I have a lot of admiration for you folks who go all the way with a restoration that for all intents and purposes brings a car back from the dead. My 1952 Plymouth was not in bad shape in 2002 when I bought it but it took me about 17 years to get it running reliably and looking half decent.  And I did almost all the work myself.  There were whole years that I really did not do much of anything and others(especially the first few) where I spent a lot of time on it. It's most likely as far along as I am gonna take it as whet is left is beyond my skills and my body's abilities.  So to follow through all the was is really to be commended.

11 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Alex D. Glad you did not run away from that 1932 Cadillac. Looks fabulous. You have a lot to be proud of.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It has been quite the learning experience and Journey that is not quite over. Now it’s time to find someone to do the proper interior.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lump said:

Your Caddy is gorgeous now, Alex D. Great post. And I cannot help but admire that 2-door Pontiac station wagon in the background of your first photo, regardless of its rough appearance. I confess that I was unaware that Pontiac even made a 2-door wagon that year OTHER than the Safari (the 57 Safari was Pontiac's version of the Chevy Nomad). I don't think I have ever seen a 2-door non-Safari 57 Pontiac wagon. 

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder, Very rare!

22 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

This thread kinda makes me sad,  of course you can see my car's "before" pic as my Avatar.

It now sits partially restored in an enclosed car trailer at home.

A long story of patience and money,  I ran out of one,  and it wasn't the spendable one. 

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand.

The personalized license plate I was going to get would have read NVR-AGN!

I don't think it was supposed to be this way.  I entered into this with a quote from the shop doing the work and my good faith.

I got tired of explaining to family and friends why my car wasn't done and we were a year past expected completion date AND over budget.....  was the only person keeping track of how much was spent and what stage the car was at the guy writing the checks?

And very hard to look at the Studey and Buick crashes. Best of luck you guys.

If I can finally get this resolved there will be a very solid 1937 Special sedan available... Just some minor work required.......NOT. Seriously, the front clip is still nice with rechromed front and rear bumpers untouched as are the running boards. Engine still runs fine. And all the lights still work!

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

If I can finally get this resolved there will be a very solid 1937 Special sedan available... Just some minor work required.......NOT. Seriously, the front clip is still nice with rechromed front and rear bumpers untouched as are the running boards. Engine still runs fine. And all the lights still work!

I don't like to derail threads but there is very little I need to take my car to the finish line.   

My car will get done,  but for sanity's sake it's best where it is right now, resting.   I expected to be driving my car last year at about this time with what I could accept AND expect.....  with a "reasonable" cost over-run.   Not being expected to swallow what ever someone tried to shove down my throat.   There were NO SURPRISES going into this restoration,  everything was easily seen.    The cost over-run didn't even include the money I spent on the side that never went through the shop....  parts and having gauges and a steering wheel recast, etc.

My apologies if I come across as bitter,  but this hasn't been the best experience.  I never wanted this project to be a blank check and ending in me hating the car because of other people's attitudes and actions.   This too shall pass......

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

On 9/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, 1937McBuick said:

My apologies if I come across as bitter,  but this hasn't been the best experience.  I never wanted this project to be a blank check and ending in me hating the car because of other people's attitudes and actions.   This too shall pass......

Sometimes a 'Time out' is good with a project.  Perhaps that is why I have more than one car to work on.(?)

As found January 1996

Found.jpg.ffddd44923f7a4039a81f51ae7ba0e92.jpg

After 3 1/2 years of nights & weekends this is it.  Looks the same today after three sets so tires and 21 1/2 years.

Buick@Parkers.jpg.f18a74570565874c587f0e9078936fea.jpg

Still a Buick 8, Deluxw Edition.   The sales material asked,  "Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a BuicK?"  I said yes.

• Like 2