Deloreans For Sale

TAKerry

I just looked at hemmings and there is a pair of Deloreans for sale. One has around 1500 miles the other 14 miles! AND the 14 mile car has been stripped down for use as a parts car!! They are consecutive serial numbered, never titled. I think these cars are love/hate, probably more hate, but I love them. 

sorry i have no idea how to post a link.

• Like 2

Just copy the URL from the box at the top of your browser screen and past it into your post.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1981-delorean-dmc-12-1?utm_medium=Promoted Listing&utm_source=Classifieds&utm_campaign=1981-delorean-dmc-12-1

You can also link to text in your post by using the little "chain" icon at the top of this new post box.  Here is the link to those Deloreans.

Screenshot_2021-02-18 Deloreans For Sale.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I drove one once. It rode and handled like a lumber wagon. I disliked the tiny opening part of the door window. Cool cars, though.

I had a customer who owned one and I was the lucky auto electrician that got to work on it, trying to get at the wiring under the dash with the high door sill really tested my back.

A pretty cool find. thanks for sharing, but I think my sports car days are behind me.

I've had a 57 Porsche Speedster, a 57 Corvette,  A 65 Mustang Conv.  a 72 240Z

a 77 280Z a 79 28ZX, a 300 ZX, a Speedster Replicar, a MGTD Replicar a 68 AMX, a Fiero GT.

8 VW's and a couple of dune buggies, a couple of street rods and way to many other

cars to remember.   

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well, I did have the franchise and sold a bunch. My head technician was in great demand in the Chicago area as he was a bright modern technician with loads of electrical and computer knowledge.  We seemed to be a "go to" store for answers.  We even had one painted red for the area Budweiser distributor, done by my friend Tim Ohlendorf at his restoration shop.  It was amazing.

Way underpowered for me but fun to drive anyway.  My daughter finally found me to be cool as she did not mind being brought to middle school in the car.  Now, you can get one with single or dual chargers on them with plenty of horsepower from the DeLorean company in Texas.  They can make a DeLorean from ground up for you. www.delorean.com

John was a hero of mine at one time and getting to sign the agreement with him in Vegas was special.  Still bothered that it all did not work out.  If he was able to bring it out at the price point he had hoped for and if it had better handling and power it could have been a success.  The economy at the time certainly did not help.  Still recall our first truckload being delivered.

• Like 5

Steve, I find that information fascinating. Like I have stated, a Delorean is def near the top of my 'bucket list' cars, maybe someday (when I get one I will have to pick your brain, lol). I have never ridden in one, I did have the pleasure of sitting in one at a local show one time. I know they have a rep for being underpowered but what car wasnt in the 80's?  To me its not always about going fast, although in a car that looks like it should be, well maybe it should! 

20 or so yrs ago you could buy them all day long for $10-$15k, now $40k will barely buy a nice one. I have seen the red one come up for sale a couple of times. Now I know why it was red. 

• Like 1

One of our local car club members had one and said it leaded so bad he might as well have not bothered even closing the doors. 

Did you see that dumb question on the listing that someone asked? 
"Does the 14 mile car run and drive?"

I nearly spilled my Scotch!

Terry

• Like 1

What percent of these vehicles are existing? I would opine over 90%. If 90% then they would not be so rare. Now compare that to some high end models from 1933 with a 4% survival rate or less. If I was a collector I think I would desire the rare older vehicle as compared to the DeLorean. Yet, the history behind the DeLorean is interesting and the style is appealing.  

Ah, but there are more people alive that remember the Delorean from their youth than remember a car from the 30's in their youth! So, more interested parties. Plus the movie connection never hurts.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Wonder what a Bricklin goes for...

Bricklin, the car or the man? Last I heard, Malcolm was going for art instead of cars.😄

• Like 1

When I first saw the posting for a pair for sale, I thought I knew the cars. A guy in Delaware has a pair (or did as of a couple years ago), gathering dust in a warehouse. Waiting for the price to top out? After reading "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors", well, this was a sad last chapter.

I would doubt they had a 90% survivor rate. Probably higher than a lot of cars but not that high. I am a bit more versed on 2nd gen firebirds and the thinking there is about 30%-40% survival. Rare doesnt equate desirability or value. Not to sound like a broken record but I had a 1913 Rudge, A few years ago it was one of a couple of running examples in the US, concours winner.  Compared to how many 1913 era Harleys and Indians are out there. You could buy 10 Rudges for the price of an equal Harley/Indian.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

One of our local car club members had one and said it leaded so bad he might as well have not bothered even closing the doors. 

Did you see that dumb question on the listing that someone asked? 
"Does the 14 mile car run and drive?"

I nearly spilled my Scotch!

Terry

My cars have 1970's era T tops,  say no more!

• Like 1

In a convoluted way around this thread, I know an auto collector that one time had a couple of early 70's mustangs there were sequential serial numbered. I think they were used by a tire company for test vehicles. One had around 30k miles  the other was less.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

What percent of these vehicles are existing? I would opine over 90%. If 90% then they would not be so rare. Now compare that to some high end models from 1933 with a 4% survival rate or less. If I was a collector I think I would desire the rare older vehicle as compared to the DeLorean. Yet, the history behind the DeLorean is interesting and the style is appealing.  

They had parts to complete a lot more cars than ever got made, which would have greatly aided in the survivability 

1 minute ago, BucketofBolts said:

If there are still existing a great many parts then does that mean the percent of cars manufactured can be sustained to almost 100%? If yes then my assumption is that rarity is not a big reason to purchase one of these vehicles. 

There are so many parts around the mob in Texas is assembling new cars from them

On 2/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, padgett said:

Wonder what a Bricklin goes for...

They are far less money than a DeLorean. For good reason. But, they do have good engine/ trans. combo's 351 Ford or 360 AMC. Terrible build quality, mismash of materials and gull wing doors that trap you inside. I'll never sit in one again!

On 2/19/2021 at 10:21 PM, BucketofBolts said:

Wikipedia says that around 9,000 were produced and 6,500 remain, I don't know where they got their numbers from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMC_DeLorean

10 hours ago, John348 said:

Wikipedia says that around 9,000 were produced and 6,500 remain, I don't know where they got their numbers from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMC_DeLorean

From the person currently selling the two ....

Jim

1 hour ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Yes I have one of those Caddys as well!

A few weeks ago we had a lull in the winter weather, so I decided I would pull out the XLR-V since the concrete was dry & let it run for a while.  Unfortunately the battery had gone down too far & it would not start. I hit the door button to get out, it did not open & I see a message on the dash saying cannot detect fob (or something to that effect) It was then I realized I had set it on the table after unlocking the door. I now know when the battery is low, the distance to sense the fob is shortened greatly. Since I had never used the emergency release before it took me about 10 seconds to scan my memory as to where it was on this particular car! 

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

I used to do a lot of motorcycle touring with my brothers. In W VA on a trip we stopped to look at the map. My brothers Full Dress HD would not start. Like it had ran out of gas. Luckily we were a few blocks from a great HD dealer. Not sure of the year of the bike but it was only a year or so old at the time, it was a first gen with a factory alarm/lockout. Not like the key fob things today, but had a button to push and activate. Anyway, the computer went kaput and put the bike on lockout. Luckily the shop had ONE in their inventory and fixed it right away.  The ironic part is my brother whom is a bit old school, did not believe in using the push button alarm for a motorcycle, one of his fears was that he would set it and it would not 'unset'. About a year later he traded for a BMW.

• Like 1

That's OK I also have a retractable you cant drive if the console gets wet. And is no tonneau cover available. (Merc SLK)

Yes Crossfire was a rebodied SLK320 (R170). Coupe even has the retractable brace behind the seat. Best for height impaired people who can fix weird electronics.

ps are many things that were fixed in the '06 XLR. Looked at quite a few before deciding on an 89 Allante with hardtop I can reprogram for a fraction of the cost. By the time the XLR came out the Northstar was mostly fixed.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1