Bullitt Mustang Auctions Today

72caddy

16 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Yesterday I was told by a veteran Mecum auction seller who was there that it was not a real sale but who knows really.  I did not see the sale but did the TV cameras pan to the happy buyer like they often do?

Phone bidder.........no TV shot...............could have guessed. I like Fords, I drive them as daily drivers, and have a 1915 T. That said, as I regular attend most of the big auctions, and see most of the big dollar stuff sell in person or in the back room afterwards, and am rather well connected to the "big car" grapevine..........not only have I not heard any verification that it was a "real" sale.........not one single of the "big" car buyers mentioned the car or the fact it was for sale.........now.......all of the afore mentioned means nothing, but people choke paying a million dollars for established collector cars with comperable sale numbers.............4 mil for a Ford Mustang.............and I like them, and I like the car............I don't see it. If the platform were a factory works job, with total one off fabrication, platform, drive line, ect.......yes............a "stock" car from a movie by the "king of cool" ...........hard to believe. Time will tell.............

PS- If you know the auction game.........there was NO WAY the car wasn't getting bid to one bump below the real reserve..............to protect everyone involved. The chandelier in most auctions is VERY BUSY bidding on most cars.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever may or may not have happened, we're probably not going to hear about it. If it was a legit sale, it's going to be whisked away into a collection where it will never be seen again. If the sale is indeed bogus, Mecum has already bought the car at the final bid, they will act if the deal went through, and will very quietly sell it to someone else without any fanfare, regardless of profit or loss. There's just no way they'd let the marquee lot at their biggest auction, a car that has been hyped for nearly two years in a traveling road show, become a joke. The hit to their credibility would be significant.

I've also heard talk that Frank Mecum purchased it for his own collection, but that's unlikely. That would be a pretty substantial breach of ethics in the auction world--would you ever buy from Mecum if you thought you were bidding against the house?

I doubt we'll hear anything more about the car, which, by itself, will be strange. There will be no denial or confirmation of anything regarding its sale beyond what we already know, and the guy who ultimately ends up with it will probably have to sign a confidentiality agreement regarding how it came into his possession.

• Like 2

Ed, I thought it was the Coke machine in the corner that did a lot of the bidding?

There have been numerous discussions questioning how Mecum beat out the really big auction houses for a chance to sell this car.

I’m thinking that they did so by guaranteeing owner of car a sale of X dollars.  I further think that Mecum this had to buy the car, and that’s why no one has come forward to brag about buying it.

Most anyone who shelled out that kind of money for an iconic vehicle would now be beating their chest and shouting “look at me!” in order to get their fifteen minutes of fame.

I have no personal knowledge of this, just conjecture on my part.  Time will tell the true story......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

There's just no way they'd let the marquee lot at their biggest auction, a car that has been hyped for nearly two years in a traveling road show, become a joke. The hit to their credibility would be significant.

Nothing new in the Antique/Classic/Used car auction world. These types of sales are nothing but carefully choreographed marketing campaigns/gimmicks. The pre and post sale “buzz” in the media, both in commercial and social (including this thread), is far more important and valuable to the house than (alleged) final value result of any single lot. Even more so if it’s “televised” which requires very tight control of “perception” and cannot be left for chance of some sort.

... pretty substantial breach of ethics in the auction world--would you ever buy from Mecum if you thought you were bidding against the house?

Most people choose to believe in these fairytale results and play into the hand of aforementioned “buzz”.

This is how “used car” auction houses portray themselves as relevant and stay in business.

Ethics ? In used car auction business ? I know I shouldn’t generalize, but having seen top-tier operators engaging in rather questionable behavior and practices more than once, why would I expect 2nd (or 3rd ?) tier house be much different.

I doubt we'll hear anything more about the car, which, by itself, will be strange. There will be no denial or confirmation of anything regarding its sale beyond what we already know, and the guy who ultimately ends up with it will probably have to sign a confidentiality agreement regarding how it came into his possession.

Nothing strange. Antique/Classic/Used car auction history, at least as long as I’ve followed it from sidelines (30+ years) has been littered with countless similar examples of highly hyped, unexplainably/unexpectedly high result sales of nothing special cars which then never showed up for display anywhere by anyone until perhaps years later at a another auction venue, consigned by another “anonymous” entity.

P.S. Matt, I hope you won’t take above wrong. None of it is directed at you or your business. Just quoting your comments for context.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Gentlemen.......if you think the sale of such a car is interesting.......ponder this..........what makes more money, the actual auction, or the video/TV show?

It's amazing that no one talks about the other very, very special sales.............the ones where the auction house ends up buying back the car under legal action/threat of legal action. Now those ARE the best kept secrets , and they are never discussed.........would love to see the contracts for non disclosure on one of them.............they are effective.........because the cars and the deal drop off the face of the earth...............never to be seen or heard of again. 

PS- The big three auction houses live stream the sale for customers and hobbyists........but we don't see them on TV. Good reason....it's bad business. Real good cars don't need promotion or TV hysterics to sell.......there is usually a long line of willing customers with a check in hand.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

what makes more money, the actual auction, or the video/TV show

Good point, Ed.  That's become true of "reality" shows like American Picker, the show is what's making more money for them now than selling  a sign or two, the actual items are just a sideline to get people to buy Antique Archeology merchandise in their stores.  I haven't seen first hand, but understand that the actual "picked" items, if they come up for sale, are very highly priced.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

..........what makes more money, the actual auction, or the video/TV show?

It's amazing that no one talks about the other very, very special sales.............the ones where the auction house ends up buying back the car under legal action/threat of legal action. Now those ARE the best kept secrets , and they are never discussed.........would love to see the contracts for non disclosure on one of them.............they are effective.........because the cars and the deal drop off the face of the earth...............never to be seen or heard of again. 

PS- The big three auction houses.......bi=ut we don't see them on TV. Good reason....it's bad business. Real good cars don't need ...TV hysterics to sell.......

See comments about marketing* and TV* on post above yours. 😉

... and I've saying these things for years/decades, including earlier on this thread, but most people prefer (bliss of) ignorance sprinkled with fairytale dust as it appears/sounds more exiting than reality.

Besides, if cars like "Bull***t Mustang" were seriously viable for great results, any one of the "the big three" (= top-tier) houses would be a first to sign them up.

* I know fair number of people in both industries and most of them admit how gullible and easy to influence vast majority of general public, including those into old cars**, is. Many of them make or have made fortunes of that gullibility. 

** Evidenced by apparent popularity of TV (Reality ?) Shows about buying/selling/customizing/fixing up/etc of old cars. Talk about fairy tales !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

But, there’s no such word as “gullible”.  Go ahead, try to look it up in your dictionary.....

I apologize for any misspellings my comments may include, but OTOH given that English is not my native language nor have I ever received a moment of formal education for it, I hope my writing is still clear enough to get the points across.

I could probably manage to convey my thoughts with few other (also self taught) languages, but since this forum mainly caters to English reading/speaking/writing audience, I’ll do my best to pay more attention to avoid further elementary mistakes like that.

• Thanks 1

"Merchandising!  Where the real money from the movie is made!" (Yogurt, from 'Spaceballs')

Shop Now

8523858f-ffd8-4fe9-98e4-7a4799117de5.gif
f4b63932-ae11-4ab6-bc4c-c4ec3e25a1a2.jpg
5bbdb0c6-5567-4507-b800-c8ad06837950.png

Mecum Facebook Mecum Twitter Mecum Instagram Mecum Pintrest Mecum Youtube
7867209e-d7d7-40d6-b0dd-ea6b99de1445.png

64a386e1-f8fe-4fae-9a03-eb4e4fcd0179.png
445 SOUTH MAIN STREET // WALWORTH, WI 53184
OFFICE HOURS // M-F 7AM-6PM CT // PHONE (262) 275-5050
EMAIL mecum@mecum.com

This email was sent to mike.smith1961@hotmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Mecum Auctions · 445 South Main Street · Walworth, WI 53184 · USA
Edited by Tom Devoe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom Devoe said:
"Merchandising!  Where the real money from the movie is made!" (Yogurt, from 'Spaceballs')

Shop Now

8523858f-ffd8-4fe9-98e4-7a4799117de5.gif
f4b63932-ae11-4ab6-bc4c-c4ec3e25a1a2.jpg
5bbdb0c6-5567-4507-b800-c8ad06837950.png

Mecum Facebook Mecum Twitter Mecum Instagram Mecum Pintrest Mecum Youtube
7867209e-d7d7-40d6-b0dd-ea6b99de1445.png

64a386e1-f8fe-4fae-9a03-eb4e4fcd0179.png
445 SOUTH MAIN STREET // WALWORTH, WI 53184
OFFICE HOURS // M-F 7AM-6PM CT // PHONE (262) 275-5050
EMAIL mecum@mecum.com

This email was sent to mike.smith1961@hotmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Mecum Auctions · 445 South Main Street · Walworth, WI 53184 · USA

I know it's all about the money, but does this seem kind of... tacky to anyone else? Who buys this crap to celebrate an auction company?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

No real difference between car salesman and politicians, just talking a few more zeros.

" never to be seen or heard of again. " - until the next auction which will hype the last one.

I prefer unusual cars while still affordable, have always been plenty (and some are now over a quarter mil)

Spending more time on my new TV these days, need conduit for all the cables and never had a TV that needed a keyboard and mouse before (and is blocked from Amazon prime, need a Roku for that). Hve been watching Scottsdale at 3x, is little of interest so far. Been saying all in will be 38 hours. Good thing I have a big DVR.

ps Motor Trend must be getting desperate. $12 (with advts) for a year ? "holiday" promo

On 1/15/2020 at 8:02 AM, edinmass said:

The chandelier in most auctions is VERY BUSY bidding on most cars.

The cynic in me really likes that one. At one point in time I would switch from those televised auctions to professional wrestling for a return to reality.

Recently, I have been switching from the news to reruns of Green Acres . I think that started when each news segment was a reporter interviewing a reporter.

Just sitting here smiling about the possibilities for a new definition of chandelier.......and "breaking news".

One last thought, my Grandfather taught me never to take a man's last dollar. In an emergency there are a lot of things that dollar can do for him. Now, every dollar up to that last one, well, that's pretty much fair game.

Bernie

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Bullitt swag just defies logic, $28.00 bucks for a Tshirt celebrating a car you didn't buy or sell. Bob 

Well, does not defy logic any more than any other marketing swag purchase.

I've never understood why anyone would buy/pay for T-shirts or other swag promoting some commercial entity or product.
Why should I or any consumer pay to advertise someone else’s business or product ???

If a business or company wishes me to use or wear their promotional products in public, I've always expected them to either give such gear to me for free or in some cases I've even requested and received additional compensation for doing so, like the actual product I'm helping to market for them.

While I do have stacks and stacks of them in the closets, most still new in the wrappers, I've never bought/paid for a promotional T-shirt or other such products in my life. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TTR said:

I've never understood why anyone would buy/pay for T-shirts or other swag promoting some commercial entity or product. 

If a business or company wishes me to use or wear their promotional products in public, I've always expected them to either give such gear to me for free or in some cases I've even requested and received additional compensation for doing so, like the actual product I'm helping to market for them.

While I do have stacks and stacks of them in the closets, most still new in the wrappers, I've never bought/paid for a promotional T-shirt or other such products in my life.

I brought the same thing up with my teenage son several years ago. A steady stream of $25.00 + hats and shirts added to his wardrobe and likewise that of all his friends. I have lots of commercial promotional hats and shirts as well , but they all were given to me by manufactures sales or service reps.  

Somehow the younger generation thinks its perfectly normal to pay for the privilege of advertising someone else's product. Yet another aspect of youth culture that makes no sense to my older brain.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

I wear promo shirts all the time... bought from Goodwill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

IF the T shirts & hats are a REAL Mecum deal, they had to be designed and manufactured BEFORE the auction, unless the clothing business moves at light speed. Bob 

You must not follow sports. Whomever wins the Super Bowl on that Sunday by the next morning the stuff is in the stores. The losing teams stuff is off to a 3rd world country as a donation.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

IF the T shirts & hats are a REAL Mecum deal, they had to be designed and manufactured BEFORE the auction, unless the clothing business moves at light speed. Bob 

You think so ? 😉

This reminded me about auctioning of another high profile (& much higher valued) vintage car few years ago where some TV show personality had been filmed supposedly  “predicting” the sale result surprisingly accurately, although that footage wasn’t released until seconds AFTER  the gavel had fallen and then later (next day ?) someone leaked/revealed that numerous identical “takes” with different figures had been filmed.

54 minutes ago, TTR said:

This reminded me about auctioning of another high profile (& much higher valued) vintage car few years ago where some TV show personality had been filmed supposedly  “predicting” the sale result surprisingly accurately, although that footage wasn’t released until seconds AFTER  the gavel had fallen and then later (next day ?) someone leaked/revealed that numerous identical “takes” with different figures had been filmed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

You must not follow sports. Whomever wins the Super Bowl on that Sunday by the next morning the stuff is in the stores. The losing teams stuff is off to a 3rd world country as a donation.

If you see me at a jock event call 911 someone has a 1911 Colt in my back. Bob 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you see me at a jock event call 911 someone has a 1911 Colt in my back. Bob 

Same here, except having already endured few close call weapon related incidents in my younger years, I’m not sure if a single handheld would be enough to convince me wasting time at any “professional” sporting event. Add straight jacket and shackles, maybe... 🙄

• Thanks 1

LOL..!!!! I like the Santa's part from TTR.! 

I can almost be sure that the new buyer of the Bullitt car may be the same guy that got  the Fangio's W196 car ..! 

He's buying all of this cars..

Like Matt mention before.. they have so so much money .. they don't know what to do with it,!

If that's the case .. i will send you a picture of me with the car next time i get back home..

MB_01_2000.jpg

I recollect that Steve sent a goodwill message to the Veteran Car Club of Australia for  the 1970 FIVA International Rally from Sydney to Melbourne in April 1970.  I think it was reported that he had cars in the category of big Stearns and Simplex.  I know his hot mustangs would have done half an hour in 20 minutes;  but photos of his great early big Antiques might have been essential interest to many of us.    His lever action Winchester impressed me.  My father had a 32/40, that he used for deer shooting before military 3006 Garrand s were available.  Someone broke into the locked storage and stole the 32/40, but I still  have the ammo.  It would have been good to control foxes here.  I would like to see photos of Steve's big early cars if anyone knows .

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I am waiting for one of my grandkids to ask me who this Steve guy is.  Then the next generation will sell it for $350 a ton.

I saw a story the other day that some actor that has recently played Elvis in a movie had no idea before the movie who he was.   His only exposure had been from the Lilo and Stitch Disney movie.    Steve M was a big celebrity,  Elvis was the biggest.

• Like 2