72caddy

Bullitt Mustang Auctions Today

This will be an interesting auction. Lots and of speculation over what it will go to, so I thought we could do own ūüėÄ

If McQueen is a 5X factor (past items related to him) plus movie provenance I'll say $1.5M

Opinions?

I think it'll bring crazy stupid money; we're all going to be shocked tomorrow. There are more than a few guys who will want to own the most famous movie car ever built, with being able to see if your ass is the same size as Steve McQueen's being frosting on the cake. I don't think the auction estimates are out of line. There's just no way something like this lays an egg on the block.

• Like 1

A Mustang, a green one, movie prop, only value is the fact that McQueen sat in it. Wake me up when the auction is over. Bob 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll say it goes for more than $2M...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, coachJC said:

sold for 3.4 million dollars

Not too bad for a days work.

1 hour ago, coachJC said:

sold for 3.4 million dollars

The guy bought it for $3500 from an ad in a magazine. Not a bad investment!  This morning on CBS news the owners wife said she drove it to her job as a schoolteacher in NJ.  She said the exhaust noise was loud so she had to take it easy through some neighborhoods on her way to work. 

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Just now, 1937hd45 said:

Who was the first looser? 

Wow, talk about mixed emotions - obviously had the bucks to play the game but comes away empty handed.  Do you think he's happy having not spent the $ or sorry he didn't go all the way?  If it were me I think I'd be disappointed not getting the prize on this one.  I know how mad at myself I feel when I get beat at a silly little evil-bay auction.  Hard to figure if I just gave up too soon or came to my senses early. 

Terry

Question for the Mustang lovers. WHAT does the new owner do with this now? His money sure, but there are far BETTER cars out there for less money. Bob 

• Like 1

I am with  Bob on this one seeing it is a movie prop where Steve only sat in it. What would the actual driven car sell for. Maybe as high as the experimental GT40 price tag I think was around the $7,000,000. mark.  

Why did someone pay over $10,000 for a leather license plate?  There is no easy answer other than they have the funds and wanted it.  I’ve never had those kind of bucks in my wallet and if I did I’m not sure what I would buy with it if I did.  

• Like 2

How many Bullitt cars were there ? Studios always have backups. Of course occasionally the same car gaggle is in more than one movie (American Graffiti and Two Lane Blacktop).

As with all expensive things, the guy who bought it considers $3.4 million pocket change, more or less. It is very hard for people like most of us to fathom, but there are people in this world with so much money that they simply can't spend it fast enough to even keep up with interest. The Walton family makes $77,000 a minute just sitting around earning interest. $77,000 A MINUTE. Watch just one episode of your favorite TV show, earn your interest, and this Mustang is paid in full. And that happens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So before you decide the guy was a fool, remember that this was akin to you or me deciding whether to get extra cheese on our pizza. A luxury, maybe, but not something that will impact your financial affairs in any way.

There is an insane amount of money out there in just a few peoples' hands--most of it, in fact. They're buying stuff just to have something to do. After you own 15 houses in 12 different countries and seven yachts and 250 cars and a football team and two private jets, what else is there? This is one of those things, and now the buyer has something that nobody else has.

It's just that easy.

• Like 3

Matt; as is usually the case, you hit the nail on the head of who pays these sort of prices. And for all practical purposes the division between  " those " people and the rest of us is so great that we can almost consider there to be a separate reality that each group lives in. Even a 5 million car is nothing compared to a 75 million or more piece of art. And yet at least a few are sold in that sort of price range each year.

The one thing about this particular sale that may seem a bit illogical to many of the gearheads on this forum is that the actual car is really not all that special. There are quite a few green 1968 Mustang fastbacks out there, and virtually none of them would even hit $100,000.00, many even sub $50,000.00. For what is essentially the same car.  Just not that specific car.  At least we all now know the price of fame.

Greg in Canada

The stunt car was allegedly found recently in a Mexican junk yard (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15342240/authenticity-of-bullitt-mustang-in-mexico-confirmed-drivetrain-and-much-bodywork-not-original/).  I wonder if the new owner of the 'hero car' will try to complete the set...?  I hope the new owner of the McQueen car simply preserves the car as-is and circulates it for others to see.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

There is an insane amount of money out there in just a few peoples' hands--most of it, in fact.

My niece is a physio therapist of some sort. A developer in Toronto fly's her and her husband  first class to where ever he is goes for a holiday and usually to the Mediterranean where he has his mega yacht. She will be on call for the week or two if someone has any pains. He also brings along a hair makeup stylist also with her husband. Brings a whole new meaning of traveling light.  

Have had cars like that before, are usually ragged out, sometimes decent, and a few hundred dollars. I lose interest fast and sometimes just give away to clear the space. Would never make it if needed a paycheck.

57 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

My niece is a physio therapist of some sort. A developer in Toronto fly's her and her husband  first class to where ever he is goes for a holiday and usually to the Mediterranean where he has his mega yacht. She will be on call for the week or two if someone has any pains. He also brings along a hair makeup stylist also with her husband. Brings a whole new meaning of traveling light.  

No reason whatsoever to find a cure, great gig, very lucky lady. Bob 

The name of the cars buyer being tossed around, if correct, will come up as ‚Äúnot an arms length transaction‚ÄĚ and make the sale price meaningless. To each his own............I thought the actual market value would be about 400k. Someone please post the name of the buyer if they know it as fact.

Yaaaawn! 

Like with many other overly hyped, unexpectedly/unreasonably high,¬†not to mention unexplainable high¬†auction result¬†for a ‚Äúnothing¬†car‚ÄĚ or one with questionable at best provenance,¬†until someone reputable (here ?) can¬†verify beyond doubt this having been¬†a ‚Äúreal‚ÄĚ transaction, I don‚Äôt see any¬†reason to¬†take¬†it¬†seriously as such.
For decades, if not longer, the auction/used car business¬†history has been¬†littered with similar¬†‚Äúsmoke & mirrors‚ÄĚ nonsense¬†stories and apparently will continue to produce them as¬†long as there are enough gullible people to believe in fairy tales.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a car bought new or previously owned  by Santa Claus coming to an auction and breaking all kinds of sale records some day.

• Like 1