1931 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe Royal Coupe on eBay

I see a very nice "survivor" 1931 Chrysler CD8 Royal Deluxe Coupe on ebay today, wonderful patina, looks original throughout although may have an old repaint. Be interesting to see what it sells for (if it sells), has a reserve. ebay# 303432299568. Maybe someone on here who knows how to load ad onto AACA forum. Not Mine, car is in Michigan. Pretty rare car.

I am wondering if she is really an 8 ?

The distance from the side louvers to the grille looks kind of short for an 8.

The brightwork alone is worth what the current 8K + bid.

But lots of time for the late bidders to jump in.

Wishing I had more room, Would make a very nice DW's car..............

Mike in Colorado

22 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

I am wondering if she is really an 8 ?

The distance from the side louvers to the grille looks kind of short for an 8.

The brightwork alone is worth what the current 8K + bid.

But lots of time for the late bidders to jump in.

Wishing I had more room, Would make a very nice DW's car..............

Mike in Colorado

The eight cylinder engine in the ad....DEFINITELY an eight....

CD8 engine2.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

BB, yes there is a thermostatically controlled gizmo that opens the grill as engine warms. There is a butterfly valve in manifold as a heat riser to warm fuel in bowl etc at startup, with a pull on dash. I like the fact this car appears so original, ad says drives nicely, suggesting one could buy it and drive it just as it is. I expect it would be a big attraction at nearly any car event. 

Also, there is a red / maroon '31 Chrysler "Royal Special" fully restored for $24,500.00 in Ault Colorado.

It is listed on Classic cars.com

Engine bay looks quite clean and the grey upholstery looks well done.

Listing shows 40,850 on the clock.

F Y I

Mike in Colorado

11 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Also, there is a red / maroon '31 Chrysler "Royal Special" fully restored for $24,500.00 in Ault Colorado.

It is listed on Classic cars.com

Engine bay looks quite clean and the grey upholstery looks well done.

Listing shows 40,850 on the clock.

F Y I

Mike in Colorado

Problem is the maroon car is a open quarter sedan,  and the black car here is a business coupe.

image.thumb.png.09054160a35583145662f1a459b6eec9.png

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, deaddds said:

I didnt know they had 4 speeds then. Thought they all had 3 speeds.

In addition to the usual three speeds, there's an ultra-low first gear that you probably would never use (high gear is still the usual 1:1, no overdrive). It's really like there are two first gears, and they both share the same left-and-down slot. That first gear slot is actually forked, and depending on which side of the fork you choose, that's which first gear you get. It would be impossible to shift, say, from the ultra-low first to the regular first, but you can go from either first gear to second, as usual. Packard had a similar setup, maybe others, too. I don't know why in 1931 or so everyone thought they needed that ultra-low gear--it was as if they said, "Well, it's the Depression and all, people are going to use their Chryslers as tractors because they can't afford both." Strange but there it is.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, deaddds said:

I didnt know they had 4 speeds then. Thought they all had 3 speeds.

Most Chrysler products of the era had a three speed, but Chrysler had a four speed.

For the machinery geeks out there, Heavy Duty (or "extra low" as some called it) ratio was 3.627-1, starting gear (1st gear) was 2.483-1, 2nd gear (accelerating) was 1.383-1 and final drive (also called speed or direct) was 1-1. Reverse was 3.137-1, so extra low was even higher ratio than reverse. Final drive in Extra Low at rear was about 15-1. Don't know just why they went to this "extra low", most likely seldom used. 

The extra low-low seems unnecessary  today in most cases. I have a 1929 Franklin Roadster that when  its full of people front and back and I get caught at the light in Lakeville near home I always use it. The light is at the base of a 10% grade and starting out in regular low makes the old girl grown  a bit. The gearbox is a Warner T-77 with low low all to the left and down. Regular low is right next door under reverse. I can take the motor up to speed and shift right into regular low like cutting butter with a hot knife. Its a sweet gearbox...

But getting back to the reason  WHY many cars had them back in the day is  MUD. The roads were lousy and imagine churning along on a muddy soft road. What gear would you use? LOW- LOW . I'm sure.  This is my guess....

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mike you are correct, add that most roads had no shoulder so if you went off with one rear wheel you could easily get stuck with out the low gear to get you out.

At the Franklin Club trek Bill Harrah decades ago brought a 1930 Franklin Pursuit ( dual cowl) phaeton . I was riding with him and his current girl friend at that time and on one of the tours he backed it into a soft area with one rear wheel . So he indeed did use that low first gear and the car just walked its way out with out any need for a tow or assistance. We both smiled at each other about that - he lady friend didn't understand.........😊

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

great looking car, but really doubt it will sell. There is a 31 Auburn that has been listed 3x and cant make 20k. Much nicer condition and a suicide door vicki.

this market is so so soft right now. Easier to sell a model A  Ford.

Mercer09 , If you are referring to the cream 31 Auburn with plum colored fenders listed at $ 38,500 on this forum what do you think that car has over this Chrysler? Im curious?

great looking car, but really doubt it will sell. There is a 31 Auburn that has been listed 3x and cant make 20k. Much nicer condition and a suicide door vicki.

Mercer09 , If you are referring to the cream 31 Auburn with plum colored fenders listed at $ 38,500 on this forum what do you think that car has over this Chrysler? I am curious?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Auburn-8-98A-/153770334556?hash=item23cd6d195c%3Ag%3AJC8AAOSwKc5dvXu4&nma=true&si=ySj2mdoCuZeaI80Pj79KgEB71js%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
This 31 Auburn bid to $17k, did not meet reserve, he wanted $38k.
I like the Chrysler.

31Auburn.jpg

Edited by 1950panhead
x (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

ME TOO.. Ive had Auburns. 1931 sedan 32 sedan and a 32 Phaeton sedan. Neat cars and run great but they are not the quality of the Chrysler. (In my opinion)

38 Seems like alot of money for that sedan.  YEs it's a 2 not 4 door but it's still a sedan.  If I had 38 G and was looking I would borrow the extra and buy an open car. 

The Chrysler is a different story I like Auburns but would take the Chrysler over the Auburn.  Especially if I had my choice at the same money. 

13 minutes ago, mikewest said:

ME TOO.. Ive had Auburns. 1931 sedan 32 sedan and a 32 Phaeton sedan. Neat cars and run great but they are not the quality of the Chrysler. (In my opinion)

Auburns are basically assembled cars.   The lesser build quality is very evident if you have a Packard or Pierce Arrow parked next to one and sit in both.   What Auburn doesn't have in build quality they made up for in cool factor.  Very nice styling and neat features, especially on the later 851/852 cars.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

I also would be concerned about the wood in the Chrysler. doubt it has ever been touched..................

The most wood in the car is around the roof opening and rear window opening. Not really a big concern on this car.

• Like 4

The Chrysler is a better road car than the Auburn and far better engineering in my humble opinion. OK....I AM biased, but the Chryslers were way ahead of the game when it came to reliability.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, mercer09 said:

the auburn is down to 29k on ebay now............ still not going to sell.

lots of choices out there. few buyers. many dreamers...............................................................

Auburn - 29K is probably a little too high and 17K is definitely too low - while a closed car, Auburn's are a little different via very active club and huge group of fans matched to the cars being very roadworthy  - just takes a while for word to spread and .... - A dreamer will figure out what it takes if they truly want a car and I see it happen at least every other week (if you want one it is a pretty dangerous game to believe you are the only one in the crowd that is willing to step up to the plate  - "snooze you loose" comes to mind as an expression). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 1/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, keiser31 said:

The most wood in the car is around the roof opening and rear window opening. Not really a big concern on this car.

An earlier Auburn is NOT a 1934-1936 - the earlier cars are entirely wood structured and they used Poplar (and as a result it is lucky any Auburn pre-34 survived other than they were good looking and ....).

A 34-36 also has wood, though in a phaeton it is for tack strips only, a Cabriolet has wood in the rear tub, and a Sedan has upper body wood, but all the cars have steel lower body frame sills. 

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Auburns are basically assembled cars.   The lesser build quality is very evident if you have a Packard or Pierce Arrow parked next to one and sit in both.   What Auburn doesn't have in build quality they made up for in cool factor.  Very nice styling and neat features, especially on the later 851/852 cars.

As to assembled cars - yes, Auburns are assembled cars, but they owned or had financial interests in probably 80% plus of the suppliers matched to few of the parts interchanging with anything else, so technically I would not consider them really assembled cars in the true sense of other 20's/30's "Assembled" cars.. 

And, yes Auburn's are perhaps Buick quality (if that), but that is also the joy in them - in cost cutting and making a cheaper car they also made the car lighter, more simple, and that matched to a decent powerplant gives you a great road car that looks really good too. 

Sidenote:  35/36 Aluminum cylinder heads, any year Lycoming casting quality, 32-36 Columbia two-speed axles and ... do take some mechanical smarts and pocket change. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, John_Mereness said:

Not a 1934-1936 - the earlier cars are entirely wood structured and they used Poplar (and as a result it is lucky any Auburn pre-34 survived other than they were good looking and ....).

A 34-36 also has wood, though in a phaeton it is for tack strips and ..., a Cabriolet has wood in the rear tub, and a Sedan has upper body wood, but all the cars have steel lower body frame sills. 

I think what Keiser was referring to was on the Chrysler, the car contained very little wood. The 31 Chrysler only contains wood where interior trim pieces need to be attached, and of course across the top opening. The basic structure of the car was not wood, like a lot of cars in the day, but made of steel.

I'm no aficionado of the Auburns, other than very much liking their style. But I would suspect that the paint scheme on the one pictured above has to have a negative impact on it's saleability?