1931 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe Royal Coupe on eBay

Just checked evilbay, and the coupe is up to 15,200, with 5 days to go.

Earlier post says the reserve is 25K.

I don't think it will make the reserve.

Especially for a "project car".

If I had a spare 25K and had to choose, I would take the red /maroon sedan, as it is a "finished" car.

Heck, that is less than half the price of a new  Lincoln.

Park em side by side and see where the crowd goes.

Just my opinion, the Auburn @ 29K seems to be a kind of "step child" and not a good deal.

Sure glad we got the "31 CG when we did.

Mike in Colorado

But is an indication of what could be.  I'll work it like the main stream media does a story.  ;) A little random info that could be evidence not even yet proven and you have a whole story that sounds like an ironclad case in a couple of hours.  Creative writing seems to be more of a requirement toady to be a journalist than being an actual reporter.  I'll make it work for me as well. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, GregLaR said:

I'm no aficionado of the Auburns, other than very much liking their style. But I would suspect that the paint scheme on the one pictured above has to have a negative impact on it's saleability?

From a dealer perspective, I will tell you via Kermit the Frog's song, "It is not easy being Green" (and surprisingly even people who like Green cars will use Green as a negotiation tool as they know problem upon their sale - and even when Green are popular in time period), White is probably next hardest, then Tan & Browns and Oranges, then Tans/Browns, then "stay around Brown", and then there is a saying that Grey cars do not win major awards (Pebble Beach Concours recently proved that wrong two times, but the cars were truly extraordinary and would have been so in any color).  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, mercer09 said:

I also would be concerned about the wood in the Chrysler. doubt it has ever been touched..................

Surprisingly, not much wood in the Chrysler of this era (enough still but not much), that said it turns out that most decent looking things generally have solid wood - anything weathered though it becomes my first research point. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, auburnseeker said:

38 Seems like alot of money for that sedan.  YEs it's a 2 not 4 door but it's still a sedan.  If I had 38 G and was looking I would borrow the extra and buy an open car. 

The Chrysler is a different story I like Auburns but would take the Chrysler over the Auburn.  Especially if I had my choice at the same money. 

There will always be some step up to get into an Auburn sedan - there has been historically since the Club was initiated (good looking cars of the time matched to drivability, strong Club, fun Club, and ...).

23 hours ago, mercer09 said:

dont think so Randy- one car does not make a market.

But three might.  Those other 2 examples were in a similar price range all sold at auction during the last year.  Either the market is getting soft and I'll get my deal,  or it just means not the place to sell that vintage of Packard,  Especially when you are walking away with 20-24% less than the hammer price. 

Hear that Packard guys looking to sell in the next range.  You have something in this range and are thinking of selling,  let me know before you send it to auction and pay the auction house 24% plus transport fees.  A scratch off lottery ticket may be luckier. 

Back to our original programming, this Chrysler Coupe is a FINE car matched to exceptional original condition !  

You buy an Auburn for another/other reasons though (I rarely see Auburn owner's doing a balancing - we buy the cars very purposefully and it is for their looks, drive-abity, great Club, and ...).  And, yes we know that in process cut corner,  though in doing so they actually produced a fairly well built car (just falls lower down on the luxury chain).  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

There will always be some step up to get into an Auburn sedan - there has been historically since the Club was initiated (good looking cars of the time matched to drivability, strong Club, fun Club, and ...).

Well it won't be from me , unless it's into a Convertible sedan then that would be the step up I would go for.  With the price of the Packard sales though of those 3,  maybe I'll become a Packard guy yet. 

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Well it won't be from me , unless it's into a Convertible sedan then that would be the step up I would go for.  With the price of the Packard sales though of those 3,  maybe I'll become a Packard guy yet. 

I understand, though equally can take you to owner after owner's garage who would have nothing other than an Auburn or Cord (or on more rare occasion Duesenberg) parked there - they are Die-Hard loyal to the brand.

I tried Packard's (lots of them) - it is hard to deal with a dad who preaches Packard engineering is in the brass cars, the first and second generation Twin Six, the Twelve, Torsion-Bar Suspension, and the V-8 (this rubbed off from my Grandfather who was a key in the Merlin project and was also not a fan of Packard engineering outside of their aviation potential). 

38 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

well the Chrysler has been bid over 20k and still hasnt met reserve..............

on that note, we dont know that the seller isnt shilling the bid upward either.

My logic is often not the same as other buyers - I would say the Chrysler Coupe is one of the best survivors even over probably most early 1930's Chrysler's found 1950's to current. As a result, you can use the car pretty much as is (sure, you may have to focus on it mechanically though).  And If you ever wanted to restore it you would have the best of the best of the bunch.  I actually would pay more for the car - not the price of a restored one (which as a sidenote I would probably not be interested in to begin with), but more than you would think for an unrestored one. Also, a nicely equipped car with wire wheels, sidemounts, luggage rack, and rumble seat matched to being a good looking car to begin with. 

11 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

My logic is often not the same as other buyers - I would say the Chrysler Coupe is one of the best survivors even over probably most early 1930's Chrysler's found 1950's to current. As a result, you can use the car pretty much as is (sure, you may have to focus on it mechanically though).  And If you ever wanted to restore it you would have the best of the best of the bunch.  I actually would pay more for the car - not the price of a restored one (which as a sidenote I would probably not be interested in to begin with), but more than you would think for an unrestored one. Also, a nicely equipped car with wire wheels, sidemounts, luggage rack, and rumble seat matched to being a good looking car to begin with. 

The Chrysler definitely interests me more than a restored car does. Just get in it and enjoy it and watch the jealous people wave at me....

6 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

The Chrysler definitely interests me more than a restored car does. Just get in it and enjoy it and watch the jealous people wave at me....

My experience with "original" cars is that they can be carefully revived - but I have never found one yet that I can "get in and enjoy" without a year of painful work to get them capable of that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I understand, though equally can take you to owner after owner's garage who would have nothing other than an Auburn or Cord (or on more rare occasion Duesenberg) parked there - they are Die-Hard loyal to the brand.

I tried Packard's (lots of them) - it is hard to deal with a dad who preaches Packard engineering is in the brass cars, the first and second generation Twin Six, the Twelve, Torsion-Bar Suspension, and the V-8 (this rubbed off from my Grandfather who was a key in the Merlin project and was also not a fan of Packard engineering outside of their aviation potential). 

There are two major prewar car cults out there.   Buick guys and Packard guys.    Maybe a couple other I can't think of,  but it is funny how loyal those guys can be to their brand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are two major prewar car cults out there.   Buick guys and Packard guys.    Maybe a couple other I can't think of,  but it is funny how loyal those guys can be to their brand.

And then there's me. I am so loyal to Chrysler that I won't even buy a Dodge or Plymouth. That 31 Chrysler coupe is better than any Packard or Auburn in my eyes. And although you may not agree, it is more rare. There are more Packards and Auburns and even Duesenbergs than there are early thirties Chryslers, especially the big Imperials. The early thirties Chrysler eights are some of the most underrated cars in their vintage, both in engineering and in beauty. Just my two cents worth. Obviously, I am biased.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

And then there's me. I am so loyal to Chrysler that I won't even buy a Dodge or Plymouth. That 31 Chrysler coupe is better than any Packard or Auburn in my eyes. And although you may not agree, it is more rare. There are more Packards and Auburns and even Duesenbergs than there are early thirties Chryslers, especially the big Imperials. The early thirties Chrysler eights are some of the most underrated cars in their vintage, both in engineering and in beauty. Just my two cents worth. Obviously, I am biased.

I'm a huge fan of the early 30s Chrysler,  especially the CL.

• Like 1

The absence of pin striping may suggest the paint is old but not original. Most original CD8's I have seen had pin striping on edges of fenders, belt line etc. In this case it would have likely been a shade of light green similar to wheels. Not a big negative, but might influence price for some, I see it is over $23K now with 2 days to go. if reserve is $25K as someone suggested, should make that. My initial thought was $30K.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

The absence of pin striping may suggest the paint is old but not original. Most original CD8's I have seen had pin striping on edges of fenders, belt line etc. In this case it would have likely been a shade of light green similar to wheels. Not a big negative, but might influence price for some, I see it is over $23K now with 2 days to go. if reserve is $25K as someone suggested, should make that. My initial thought was $30K.

My experience is that pinstripes of the era are pretty fragile - they tended to rub through easy and then people "removed" them as they looked spotty/sketchy.  There is a local guy that is probably the best pinstriper on the globe and he will "fix" the stripes for me and that is what we have done with a variety of 30's original stuff that are worn. I also have a great pinstriper as a whole.  And, I know how to pinstripe myself.  Basically, between the three of us we can put a stripe back on a car so 99.9%  of people cannot ever tell.  Do, I have guilt - nope as pinstripping is really cool on a period car and should be spectacular. 

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

My experience is that pinstripes of the era are pretty fragile - they tended to rub through easy and then people "removed" them as they looked spotty/sketchy.  There is a local guy that is probably the best pinstriper on the globe and he will "fix" the stripes for me and that is what we have done with a variety of 30's original stuff that are worn. I also have a great pinstriper as a whole.  And, I know how to pinstripe myself.  Basically, between the three of us we can put a stripe back on a car so 99.9%  of people cannot ever tell.  Do, I have guilt - nope as pinstripping is really cool on a period car and should be spectacular. 

Oh my !!!!! Yes, Yes, YES !!!!!  The pinstripes are a part of the car. Would you not replace the running boards which a previous owner had sent out to be re-covered and lost in the process ? Exactly the scenario you describe was inflicted on the original paint on my '27 Cad. EXACTLY !  But traces were left, and we were able to accurately replace the 'stripes. Perhaps you can see some of the evidence in the "before" picture. I left a witness on the lower stripe between the two door handles. I don't know if the video compression applied to this format will allow a viewer to see this, even if you click into high resolution. And I sure wish I knew how to get the intended sequence order in posted pics. Seems to display in some random fashion. I am sure there is no confusion here, so I think my intent is clear.    -    Carl 

P.S. Just checked, and yes, high resolution does show what I am getting at. I really do wish I could post in proper order though.

FB2D9F77-D5ED-41BB-8E68-220E9D066613.jpeg

E79AFA31-CC82-43E9-AFEC-C3956624B9ED.jpeg

05349F66-28CC-4E8C-88AE-DFFE2A62952E.jpeg

49337529-8C92-451C-9FF8-DDBE569976E0.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The best pinstripe guy on Globe and I just (by darkness of night or what have you) did a friend's 1920's Franklin - as it goes through the show circuit though as an extraordinary original car I am not going to spill the beans and say which car it is or post a photo or .... - lets just say an extraordinary original car is now looking a little more extraordinarily cared for in surviving (and if anyone has seen a Franklin of era with original stripes - they are spectacular). 

Yes it cam from the man that uses the Handle; PovertyCove...... from the coast of Maine .... very nice car, runs like a swiss watch..... and can you believe he let it go for $5K.... the market is down enough for some of use 'Lower income guys", to be able to Enjoy these Pre-war machines....   a photo of the back....

dodge 4.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 3macboys said:

$25, 100 and reserve is off 

Now in a week or two we will see if it really sells.  With the high no sale / sold rate, It might just end up back on.  Then if so I doubt it will hit 25 again.  Highest number is usually first time through.  After that seems to be 30 percent less or more. 

• Thanks 1

Randy,

having watched ebay since its inception, I see sales at around 40% on all of the classics that sell there. Not a great rate, but millions of viewers that is hard to find on any other venue.

If I list 4 cars- I sell 1-2 and consider it a good platform, considering the low cost.

and yes, when it doesnt sell the first time, it inevitably sells for less the 2nd time around. The exception is on something really rare and desirable. Sometimes the price can go higher, but doesnt happen often.

Has to be a very desirable species.............

7 hours ago, sunnybaba said:

Yes it cam from the man that uses the Handle; PovertyCove...... from the coast of Maine .... very nice car, runs like a swiss watch..... and can you believe he let it go for $5K.... the market is down enough for some of use 'Lower income guys", to be able to Enjoy these Pre-war machines....   a photo of the back....

dodge 4.jpg

I will take 2 at that price for sure....   I am just finishing sorting out a 31 Plymouth and all that is left is figuring out why it won't stay in reverse.

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1