The Royal family puts Antique Car on their Christmas Card how about that

Mark Gregory

Driving home for Christmas! Prince Charles and Camilla chose a snap of themselves motoring along in a classic car in Havana for their 2019 festive card

• Duke and Duchess of Cornwall have released their official 2019 Christmas card 
  • Prince Charles, 71, and Camilla, 72, seen driving through Havana in a vintage car
  • They were lent the British 1953 black MG TD during their visit to Cuba in March
  • Last year their more formal card showed Charles and Camilla at Clarence House

image.png.1bee3b712564be7f0bcb7a11403a353f.pngPrince Charles and Camilla's Christmas card 2019

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Wow, that means Prince Charles can drive a clutch.  Wonder when he last actually drove a car.

Royals are different from you and me. I remember a story where Princess Di had all his front trouser pockets sewn shut so he couldn't put his hands in them -- didn't look regal.

I'll bet any film footage of the two 70-year-olds trying to get in/out of the car has been confiscated.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's interesting to read what the Royals can and can't do.  Can't eat certain seafoods, due to possible food poisoning.  Public displays of affection are not allowed, even casual touching of arm is discouraged.  Once the Queen quits eating, EVERYONE quits eating.  Can't be in a plane or boat with whole family in case of an accident.

They do NOT lead a normal life, that's for sure.

Prince Charles is, I believe, a large man, I don't see how he can even fit in or drive an MG-TD.....not much room, and itty-bitty brake and clutch pedals...

From the position of each of the couples hands, you can almost convince yourself it has dual controls. Do you remember in the early '50s when we were in elementary school being introduced to young Prince Charles in "My Weekly Reader"? We were led to believe we would see him being crowned king some day. Some of us may, others will not. I would really like to stay healthy enough to see that. Long, LONG live HRH Elizabeth 2nd !!    -   Carl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

It's interesting to read what the Royals can and can't do.  Can't eat certain seafoods, due to possible food poisoning.  Public displays of affection are not allowed, even casual touching of arm is discouraged.  Once the Queen quits eating, EVERYONE quits eating.  Can't be in a plane or boat with whole family in case of an accident.

They do NOT lead a normal life, that's for sure.

Prince Charles is, I believe, a large man, I don't see how he can even fit in or drive an MG-TD.....not much room, and itty-bitty brake and clutch pedals...

If you are under 6' you can drive a TD.

Actually,  Charles is average size: 5' 9" tall, weight 165 lbs. His father and brother Andrew are both 6' tall.  Many of their pictures are made beside the Queen, who is small. I think that makes us think the royal gentlemen are larger.

Queen Elizabeth II may be small, but having seen her in person,  she certainly presents a royal presence. 

"Prince Charles is, I believe, a large man, I don't see how he can even fit in or drive an MG-TD.....not much room, and itty-bitty brake and clutch pedals...

Not so my friend. My step father, a veteran of WWII( Canadian) met him and told me he was quite suprised how short the Prince of Wales is. Wiki states 5Ft 10 in. Likely a bit shorter than stated. The MG-TD is a good fit.

Edited by Ed Luddy
clarity (see edit history)

Interesting, I didn't know he was that short, as mentioned pictures seem to make him appear tall.

I was in the process of buying a TD once, but the pedal placement was awkward to me, and the one I was test driving had so little power that running over a shadow slowed it down....so I passed.  Beautiful little cars though....

Actually, there is a good shot of Charles and Camilla in the car. He seems to be sitting quite comfortably. There is also a shot of him helping her out of the car. The car is owned and was restored by a Cuban resident who was asked to let Charles drive it. It is a British 1953 MG. I think Charles favourite car is his Aston Martin.  Just because in official photos people are chauffeur driven, doesn’t mean that the next day they don’t leap in the driver seat of their other car. 

Erica

Hummm.. it seems that in Cuba they hang a lot of rear view mirrors.

In this country we hang a lot of horns and lights on the front end.  I guess the Cubans worry more about who's following them, instead of who might get in their way.

Paul

According to the AP article the Prince commented  after driving the MG 

"It has an incredibly powerful accelerator."

Really?? An MG TD?? Incredibly powerful?? Maybe the Queen should loan him the money for an Aston Martin or a Bentley Continental Speed GT.

Don

19 hours ago, DLynskey said:

According to the AP article the Prince commented  after driving the MG 

"It has an incredibly powerful accelerator."

Really?? An MG TD?? Incredibly powerful?? Maybe the Queen should loan him the money for an Aston Martin or a Bentley Continental Speed GT.

Don

Maybe it had  Russian Diesel engine in it, as many cars in Cuba have.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

The vast majority of the MGTDs produced were exported - most of them to the US.  Those were left-hand drive cars specifically made for the US market (and a few other countries driving on "our side of the road.")  It certainly would not be uncommon to find one in Cuba, and it looks nicely restored.  Never been there, but I understand there is a small group of enthusiasts who are actually into restoration, rather than just cobbling things up to keep them going. 

Had the pleasure to meet Prince Charles years ago when he presented trophies at an antique auto show I helped organized in Scotland.  He is not a tall person at all, in fact I was quite surprised at his relatively small stature compared to what I'd expected.

I'll not comment on his "escapades" but accept the fact that people who drive MGs tend to be a bit on the wild side anyway.  My wife actually somehow becomes an almost different kind of person behind the wheel.  She just doesn't seem to understand you can't used them to straighten out twisty country roads and believes those "warning 15MPH" turn signs are merely suggestion.

It's always good to see MGs here, regardless of who is driving.

Terry

The Prince of Wales was often seen picking the boys up from school and activities in the Aston. I've read HRH Elizabeth would often give the guards the slip and sneak out in a Vauxhall Estate Wagon, though I'm sure she no longer drives. Face it- HRH was a motor pool mechanic in WW2. She's a gearhead!