Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

Okay, I lied, slightly.  Opening bid will be $7250, going live 10:00 PDT Saturday.  This covers some of the extraneous fees.

I am in over my head.  I just don't have the resources y'all do.  I don't.  Getting this to Hershey would be a major ordeal, finding a place to keep this already is.

Let's hope it cracks 9k at least.

It's nice to have a truck and trailer, a nice property to keep several cars at, the financial wherewithal to fix anything and everything the best possible way.

That's just out of my league right now.  Believe me, I'd love to collect Packards and early brass stuff--but I can't.

14 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Now at $9299 on Craigslist...if anyone is interested. 

I went this route a few months ago selling my truck....just about all the buyers were scammers... it was relentless, the same with Ebay, but not as bad. After a month of the nonsense, I removed the listing from those venues and listed on Hemmings....sold within two weeks. The FB Market was new to me as well, I tried it out with selling my auto lift - sold that day !

Just my opinion.....

Good Luck with the sale.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrcvs said:

How do you even see what others like this sell for?  Craigslist only has my local market with limited similar cars for sale.  Hemmings is all I know, and that's more national and high end.

I never represented this car as a show car.  It's a fun driver.

Go to Ebay, click on advanced search, and select completed listings. You won't be very happy with what you find. I checked Model A Fords on there earlier today and saw that they have recently been selling for a bit less than I expected. 

4 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Also how do I get this to Hershey?

Drive it. If you sell it, you can call a friend to pick you up and bring you home. Otherwise, you can rent a uhaul auto transport trailer and tow it with a pickup truck. If you don't have a pickup truck, you can borrow or rent one. 

20 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Drive it. If you sell it, you can call a friend to pick you up and bring you home. Otherwise, you can rent a uhaul auto transport trailer and tow it with a pickup truck. If you don't have a pickup truck, you can borrow or rent one. 

Is the Car Corral for AACA members or car anyone just show up? Bob  

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Is the Car Corral for AACA members or car anyone just show up? Bob  

You would have to be an AACA Member to sell a car in the Car Corral. If you were not a member, you could join quickly and inexpensively. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 48Firetruck said:

Dealerships are a little different, you're not just blindly buying a car at a swap meet or sketchy online listing. Dealers don't sell cars, they sell a SERVICE that provides cars which have been gone over, detailed and don't hold surprises. More importantly though is once you decide on that "must have" particular car , you can find a dealer who's done all the work of locating it and either has one ready to go on their floor or knows where one is. That's worth something,...or you could save a few bucks and look around for possibly years trying to find a pristine example that may never come. 

I sent a guy Matt's  direction just for that reason on a car. All different parts of an industry. Hobbyist can make a few bucks on their cars, you just have to learn a little about what you are buying. There are great buys out there on just about every type of car. Buy a car that they made 6 million of, you might have a hard time getting top dollar, unless condition and body style are working in your favor. 

• Thanks 1

I've vacuumed it out previously.  1970's or so interior, not original, not bad but not pristine.

Yes, I could wash and wax, but it does have spots of rust, it has touch up from a darker can of spray paint, it has chipped paint.  It was like that when I bought it, in 2014 that did not seem to be a huge concern.  The issue was obtaining a Fordor at a reasonable price then.  Things have obviously changed.  I am just sprucing up that which requires attention.  That is, painting, etc.  No misrepresentation here.

I did do an ebay search.  That offered less than mone is purely junk, plain and simple.

Mr. CVS, please try to forget, if you will, the monetary aspect

of your ownership.  Few car owners are wealthy.  And while

no one should spend money wastefully,

consider the VALUE and WORTH of things like this

that can't be measured:

---Did your family have some curiosity or involvement with the old car?

The car will be a part of family memories, and you can't measure that.

---Did you give your friend or a neighbor a ride?  That has no price.

---Did you drive it on scenic roads, to get away from life's busy hours

for a while?  Peace and restfulness are valuable.

---Did you take your car to a show?  The average bystander doesn't

think like a judge.  Your car may have brought back memories

from many decades earlier.

---Did you boost up a child so he could look inside, or pretend to drive?

That memory may last his lifetime.

Little things like these seem intangible, but are the true

SUBSTANCE of owning an old car.  Whatever your car sells for,

it is going to spread those intangible qualities to a future owner.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

Yes you have to be a member (free), you only have to provide the information you choose and you can control who sees it publicly. I consider it safer because If I'm interested in something I can look at the sellers profile and ratings from previous transactions, if they seem legit I can use the direct messaging system to contact them at which point they can look at my profile and decide if they want to contact me back or block me, forever hiding any information between us. Craigslist doesn't have that feature. Most people who have trouble with Facebook haven't actually used it or have used it irresponsibly by sharing their entire life story publicly. Not saying it's the best platform but it's the biggest one currently.

Possibly I am a bit paranoid , but it's not the other Facebook members I would be concerned about. It's Facebook itself as an information gathering and data mining organisation. And nothing I have seen over the last few years in any venue from Government hearings downward make me feel any confidence about the benignness of Facebook and similar sites.

I still see little evidence that Facebook is anything other than a information gathering, packaging and sales organisation. And I am not talking about information within posts, but rather information about members and their contacts. Just too much going on behind the scenes at Facebook for my personal "sniff test".

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. CVS, please try to forget the monetary aspect of

your ownership.  Few car owners are wealthy.  And while

no one should spend money wastefully,

consider the VALUE and WORTH of things like this

that can't be measured:

---Did your family have some curiosity or involvement with the old car?

The car will be a part of family memories, and you can't measure that.

---Did you give your friend or a neighbor a ride?  That has no price.

---Did you drive it on scenic roads, to get away from life's busy hours

for a while?  Peace and restfulness are valuable.

---Did you take your car to a show?  The average bystander doesn't

think like a judge.  Your car may have brought back memories

from many decades earlier.

---Did you boost up a child so he could look inside, or pretend to drive?

That memory may last his lifetime.

Little things like these seem intangible, but are the true

SUBSTANCE of owning an old car.  Whatever your car sells for,

it is going to spread those intangible qualities to a future owner.

No, no family involvement.

I just drove an elderly gentleman, the original owner of a Model A Ford 30 years ago around in his car sometimes, and loved doing so, thinking I'd never own one, as they bought big bucks then.

For other reasons you describe, I would like to keep this car.  I definitely live in the wrong neighborhood, though, and that's the reason for selling it.  I did just take it for a spin, and a neighbor did yell "I love that car!".

30 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Possibly I am a bit paranoid , but it's not the other Facebook members I would be concerned about. It's Facebook itself as an information gathering and data mining organisation. And nothing I have seen over the last few years in any venue from Government hearings downward make me feel any confidence about the benignness of Facebook and similar sites.

I still see little evidence that Facebook is anything other than a information gathering, packaging and sales organisation. And I am not talking about information within posts, but rather information about members and their contacts. Just too much going on behind the scenes at Facebook for my personal "sniff test".

Greg in Canada

Facebook scares me beyond belief.

I don't wish to sound paranoid, but there is this huge mining of information out there.

You cannot even go into a restaurant anymore without a camera watching you shove your face...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, old car fan said:

Also think if you touch it up,some folks would wonder,leave it as is, polish only

Yes, some pi$$ed me off when I listed it before, which is why the whole thread got deleted.  I'll list it for sale elsewhere, but I'm trying to sell a car and I get replies to my ad from folks who have no interest in it pointing out what's wrong or perceived to be wrong.  How does that help me sell a car?  I don't need constructive criticism in a for sale ad.

Maybe the classifieds section of this forum needs to be like other forums, where you post an ad and the only thing allowed thereafter is Sold or I'll take it!

Will consider trades.  Pre 1898 firearms or a Registered Magnum.

4 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

If average working folks are buying a second car - it is something to get them to work - not a weekend pleasure driver.

Things are tight right now.

Jim

That's right!  America is not the prosperous nation you think it is.  My wages don't even keep up with inflation.

• Like 1

Dealers usually do a little touch up.  Touch up usually doesn't mean you are trying to hide something,  it means you are taking care of the car.  Same with polishing and needed repairs.  Anything you put off,  the next guy has to do,  and will want money off to do it.  Are you going to buy the car with rust spots showing at the dealer or the cleaned up one you really have to look to see the issues?  If the buyer doesn't even have to get out of the car to see issues,  he's not going to buy the car.  Go back to Matt's post he's a dealer,  he knows how to sell cars or wouldn't be in business after all this time. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think members tear cars apart on here, unless they have obvious issues or when sellers complain their overpriced cars aren't selling.   I have had some really nice cars and some not as nice more needy cars I have listed on here.  No sales but also not bad experiences .  Of course I haven't tried selling any parts cars for restored car prices or stating how rare and valuable my common car is.  Might be part of the reason. 

It also helps to know the market on what you are trying to sell up front so your information is correct as is the pricing.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't think members tear cars apart on here, unless they have obvious issues or when sellers complain their overpriced cars aren't selling.   I have had some really nice cars and some not as nice more needy cars I have listed on here.  No sales but also not bad experiences .  Of course I haven't tried selling any parts cars for restored car prices or stating how rare and valuable my common car is.  Might be part of the reason. 

It also helps to know the market on what you are trying to sell up front so your information is correct as is the pricing.  

Careful...……………..you don't want to be accused of educating people. Feelings could be brused. Bob 

Honestly, I don't see anyone bashing the OP,  or giving unsolicited advice. The OP opened this thread with a complaint about no one being interested in his car. Many members replied with helpful advice and very honest comments, most of which were pretty constructive.

Just because the OP doesn't want to hear it doesn't make it less true.

We've been here many times before, where someone doesn't want to believe that their car is not worth what they think it is worth. Sadly, no amount of logic and reality is going to change that.

Just my $.02, for whatever it's worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Have you done a research on the number of Model A's are on the market currently? If there is a huge supply then you will struggle to get want you want unless it is well 'valued'. Regardless of age, people will always sort the best value they perceive and negotiate hard when there is a surplus of supply. If it was here in OZ, you would probably get us$15-$20k, Ford people pay ridiculous prices for them here IMHO. 

THIS part of the forum is appropriate for discussion of what's wrong and right with a car.  The Classifieds ads are not.

When I bought it this was supposed to be a reasonably priced driver, something to drive and enjoy.  Bought at a reasonable price then, so reasonable at the time that could easily sell and get out of it what one has in it.  Especially since that some time between purchased in 2014 and now, but likely closer to 2014, club members stated there was an upsurge in interest and values for the Model A.  Most obviously, this was nothing more than fleeting.

1 minute ago, mike6024 said:

You purchased it in 2014? Haven't had it long then.

Depends on your definition of long.

When you are relying on storage on someone else's property and have no good property of your own in sight, it can be a very long time.

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Are you good with tools? If so take the accessory step plate off and  get rid of it or step up and buy two more and install in the PROPER location. That is the first tip that there are other problems with this vehicle. Buying public isn't as dumb as you think. Bob  Fordor1.jpe

Where should it be?

I didn't install it.

Don't folks just buy driver's anymore, something to have fun with, the location of the step plate is inconsequential?

Seems like this hobby consists of high end buyers who want perfection, and pay for it.  Not a problem there.  I'd expect the same.

Or, low end buyer's who expect perfection, and don't want to spend anything.  You know already what I think of that!

Same as trying to sell a low end house.  Been there, done that!  Buyers don't want to spend anything, but they want absolute perfection.  Realtor told me that's because they are so tapped out already that they cannot afford any problem whatsoever.

This country is way too middle class-lower middle class.  Myself included.

I can remove it, but it seems like it is located in the wrong place.

This car came with the pebble grate when I bought it.  Someone told me that was an after market addition, and so I removed it and sold it on eBay.  I never liked how they look, anyways.

5 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Okay, I lied, slightly.  Opening bid will be $7250, going live 10:00 PDT Saturday.  This covers some of the extraneous fees.

I am in over my head.  I just don't have the resources y'all do.  I don't.  Getting this to Hershey would be a major ordeal, finding a place to keep this already is.

Let's hope it cracks 9k at least.

It's nice to have a truck and trailer, a nice property to keep several cars at, the financial wherewithal to fix anything and everything the best possible way.

That's just out of my league right now.  Believe me, I'd love to collect Packards and early brass stuff--but I can't.

I drive mine when I need to go somewhere.  If someone buys it, I’ll take a Uber home. BTW, it’s not for sale......

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)