1933 Pontiac straight 8 - inherited - would like to see if it starts but I don’t want to touch anything without the proper instructions

Onoudidnt14

Difficult to find much information on our vehicle if I’m correct with the year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I inherited the vehicle and it is original as far as I can tell so far. I would like to see if it starts but I don’t want to touch anything without the proper instructions. Thank you

• Like 2

Photos would be helpful.  There should be plenty of help available here. It should be difficult to confirm the year if you provide pics of the data plate and a good description.  The question of originality should also generate a lot of discussion.

Terry

Great looking car.  Any ideas on plans?  There is a grocery list of stuff you can do to get it back on the road.  The top looks (good/no holes) so the interior wood might be good, a large consideration with a 1933 car.  I would move it inside, either way, till you decide what to do with it.  The fact the tires are up is a good indicator someone worked on it in the last 20 years.  Nice looking original car, they keep getting more rare.

I LOVE the 33/34 Pontiac.  I see more Model J Duesenbergs than any body style of that year Pontiac.

Assuming the car is free,  spend as little as possible to make it presentable and runnable.  if you try to paint it, upholster it, etc, you will be underwater fast.

I do not know your mechanical skills but this is a pretty easy car to work on, if you enjoy that.  If you are looking to have some one sort out the car, that is a good plan also.  I would check with the local car shops and see if anyone works on the old cars near you.  Make a list, brakes, fuel system, engine, ect. put together estimates for work, add it up and decide what you want to do.  Unless there is a major engine problem, (I would start getting the engine running first, and see if you have any oil pressure) it should be a relatively ($2K-3K) project to get it road worthy.   Tires are getting crazy $200 each approximately, hold off as long as you can, I would have the wheels powder coated before tires, so you know the wheels are good.

Good Luck

Great car.  Do what you want with it but keep it correct.   If there is a lot of sentiment attached to it and you can afford to, by all means get it repainted in the original color combination.  The interior may be usable with just careful cleaning and some minor repairs to keep things from getting any worse.  Mechanically, it may be sound but would need all systems checked and brought back to life carefully.  Yes, it is in a sense an "original car" but it certainly didn't come like it is now when it was new, so I'd prefer to call it just unrestored.  Unless you like that thing called "patina" don't be afraid to do some restoration and make it look good. 

Best thing to do is join AACA and your local Region/Chapter so you can enjoy the car and all the things that come with the hobby.  When you are working on a car, the best place to get advice is in a local club.  Talking to fellow old car enthusiasts is much better than just checking the yellow pages for someone to help with the work.

Terry

• Like 3

If you are going to join a club I would join the POCI Early Times Chapter and AACA's Chapter called Oakland Pontiac Worldwide region.

The nice thing about the Early Times Chapter is you can be a member of the chapter only and not belong to the POCI club.

All Pontiac's in 1933-34 are straight eight's. 1933 is the first year of the design and 1954 is the last year. This is Ben Anibal's Pontiac engineering department and G.M. research laboratories design. From the get go the engine has full flow oiling and more importantly has main and rod and cam bearing inserts and NO more poured bearings which makes rebuilding easier. The engine starts out at 223.4 cubic inches and by 1950-1954 ends up at 268 cubic inches, also the Pontiac flathead straight six ( 1935-1954) is derived from the eight and shares many parts. These engines are very reliable and noted for their smoothness and they easily pass the Quarter test in which many other engines fail.

• Like 2

A nice rig, Onoudidnt14. The U.S. car industry was about kaput in 1933, so the remaining carmakers were offering a lot for the money, and this straight-eight Pontiac is a case in point. The difference between your Pontiac and the Model T from six years earlier is like comparing a a 2014 Explorer and a 1964 Galaxie!

I have only come across the body plate so far and am unable to find another serial plate or such. This is all new to us and has been a dream of both of ours. I have been doing as much research as I can but can only read so much. All the help and or advice from everyone is wonderful and greatly appreciated. All I have done so far is clean it up on the inside. The tire jack and oil can is still under the front seat

• Like 1

Take Pfeil's advice and join Early Times Chapter. (I haven't joined Oakland Pontiac Worldwide yet, but I intend to). Unfortunately most of Early Times' site is down right now because they are updating it. There is normally a bunch of useful documentation there. I'm sure it will come back. Early times holds a national "flathead reunion" every year. I believe it will be in Kentucky in 2019. Last year was Ames, Iowa.

Here is a 1934 Eight at the 2018 reunion. It is all original and on it's second owner!

H0Wf4B3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Most Fisher body car would have an aluminum plate nailed to the passenger side main by the front of the front seat. If you have a mat lift it up and look along the sill in the whole door opening. Sometimes they were on the sill on the side of the front seat close to the bottom of the latch pillar. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have revived a number of old cars and gotten them running after they had been sitting up to 30 years. If it was my car I would start by carefully cleaning and inspecting. Then go on to put some oil down the cylinders and see if it will turn over by hand. If it will turn over, remove the oil pan and clean out the sludge. Pontiacs had an oil filter built into the oil pickup that needs to be cleaned out. Would also check for sticking valves. If the car was stored inside, with the spark plugs in and air filter on, chances are it is not seized up.

Once it has fresh clean oil and is turning over it is time to check the distributor, clean the points, inspect wiring, and clean and adjust the carburetor. I would not change or replace anything unless it was necessary at this stage to get it running. If I could get the engine to start and run, would then go on to change oil in transmission, differential, grease the chassis,  repack wheel bearings, rebuild brakes etc.

Is there an AACA club in your area or some other old car group? It would be a big help if you had someone local who could help you and who is familiar with the old models. Cars have changed so much, a good mechanic today would be lost with a car like that.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1933 Pontiac straight 8 - inherited - would like to see if it starts but I don’t want to touch anything without the proper instructions
On 8/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, Robert G. Smits said:

The bottom two have been on the car since 1934. The top one is rare and I have never seen one on a car,

only in collections

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

That Indian looks like he got the pox from one of those infected blankets.  :D

And, before anyone gets offended or upset - I am an Indian with a roll number through the BIA.

• Haha 2