Classic Cars at Salvage Auctions

MarkV

Know as much as possible about the type of car. Look for damage everywhere,.

Take the low value for a driving car (#3), take a stab at the repair cost and subtract another 20%.

Salt water damage is one of the worst to deal with, more so, if the car has been sitting for months.

If it is a car like a Mustang or 57 Chev you will be bidding against the car flippers.

No experience in the salvage auction. but I’d say look for all the same red flags as you would a normal car. In Tennessee i think it’s not to hard to title a car that’s 30+ years and less than $3,000. As long as is not stolen! Also be careful what you buy just because it’s “old” doesn’t mean it’s worth anything. Otherwise you’ll end up like me with a bunch of junk that’s cool to you but not to anyone else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

No experience in the salvage auction. but I’d say look for all the same red flags as you would a normal car. In Tennessee i think it’s not to hard to title a car that’s 30+ years and less than $3,000. As long as is not stolen! Also be careful what you buy just because it’s “old” doesn’t mean it’s worth anything. Otherwise you’ll end up like me with a bunch of junk that’s cool to you but not to anyone else!

There is nothing better than owning things YOU love.

That has always been my benchmark....... ;)

Over the years I have owned a number of "branded" cars that were repaired buy a local dealer. They came at a substantial discount compared to the same make and model that had not been wrecked. Now sometimes these cars had hidden issues that cost a few dollars to fix but overall, I got a lot of miles out of them for a reasonable outlay. Having said that, there is no kind of guarantee that will protect you from undetected hidden damage. The seller may in all honesty think the car is OK and not be trying to unload a dog. In my case, I viewed it as an acceptable risk. Everyone has to determine their own level of risk tolerance and act accordingly.

I would be more concerned about the title. A salvage title will make the car extremely difficult to sell and will likely slash its value by 50% or more on the open market, no matter how nicely you restore it. This 'Cuda had a salvage title simply because it was disassembled at the time of a divorce, the wife won it and called the insurance company, and they totaled it. Boom, instant salvage title. Not flooded, not wrecked, not crushed, just in pieces when the insurance company looked at it.

007.JPG.599eeb26e59c756bc01d8c091d94730e.JPG

The car was absolutely beautiful and had the straightest sheetmetal I've ever seen on one of these cars. Sweet-running small block, new interior, lots of upgrades. After three or four years on the market, we were able to give it away for $20,000, which was entirely due to the salvage title. With a standard title, I bet I could have gotten $35-40,000 for it in a matter of months. Nobody would touch it.

There are pitfalls to buying a salvage vehicle, but this is one most folks don't think about and which probably has the biggest financial impact on the transaction. Think carefully before you're tempted by a cheap buy-in. There are surely other cars out there that don't have an anchor tied to them that you could buy.

Just a thought...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I would be more concerned about the title. A salvage title will make the car extremely difficult to sell and will likely slash its value by 50% or more on the open market, no matter how nicely you restore it. This 'Cuda had a salvage title simply because it was disassembled at the time of a divorce, the wife won it and called the insurance company, and they totaled it. Boom, instant salvage title. Not flooded, not wrecked, not crushed, just in pieces when the insurance company looked at it.

The car was absolutely beautiful and had the straightest sheetmetal I've ever seen on one of these cars. Sweet-running small block, new interior, lots of upgrades. After three or four years on the market, we were able to give it away for $20,000, which was entirely due to the salvage title. With a standard title, I bet I could have gotten $35-40,000 for it in a matter of months. Nobody would touch it.

There are pitfalls to buying a salvage vehicle, but this is one most folks don't think about and which probably has the biggest financial impact on the transaction. Think carefully before you're tempted by a cheap buy-in. There are surely other cars out there that don't have an anchor tied to them that you could buy.

Just a thought...

Even if nothing wrong can be found every prospective buyer is going to cry foul and use the salvage title as leverage for a lower price. If the car is sent to auction they will have to announce the salvage title before the sale.

• Like 1

A salvage title on an older car would not bother me at all if it was a project car.

If a car was totaled in 1960, it  probably had $1500 damage, a drop in a bucket compaired to restoration costs.

It would be repaired to factory specs during the restoration anyways.

29 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Problem is the Salvage brand stays with the car basically forever. It may not matter to you but it might matter a lot when you eventually try to sell the car. 

Correctamundo!

Every single guy calling on that 'Cuda up there said he didn't mind the salvage title and understood that the car wasn't ruined, but he was deathly afraid of what would happen when it came time for him to sell it. That was the rub. Nobody was afraid of it, but everyone was afraid of someone else being afraid. At that point, it's the same thing.

• Like 2

Coming back from Lower Virginia to Pa several weeks ago I passed several open car haulers carrying cars clearly labeled FLOOD CAR. I wonder where they were going and what made them valuable enough to be transported at least several hundred miles rather than have them scrapped locally. Nearest recent flooding was in Texas?  

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Just a thought...

I wonder if the fellow that bought it also bought a highly collectable historical document that seemingly matched this car?

i worked at a dealer that sold most of their cars with branded titles and saw a lot. some of the cars marked flood, had less damage than if you'd left the windows down on a rainey day. the best cars for the consumer were the ones that were recovered thefts. they usually had no damage at all. and often if we sold a car with a reconstruct (that's how they are marked in delaware) title into another state, they would get a normal title in that state.also, many times we would have a car with a salvage title that had a clean carfax report. best advice is to have the car looked over by a pro and go from there. you can also talk to the seller to see why it's at a salvage auction, you'd be surprised how many honest people there still are in this world

Not classic but was pickup truck shopping last summer.  First truck I looked at had mud smears on the headliner and mud filling all the nooks & crannies in the frame.  Also a new bed. 

Small time local dealer swore the car had a clean Carfax but when I texted a pic of the VIN/door sticker to my son he asked why we were looking to buy a Canadian truck? 

Title didn't indicate Salvage but it was very obvious this truck had been submerged for some time.  Didn't even bother to see if everything worked or what the interior smelled like.  Interesting if someone was able to wash the title of the Salvage condemnation when bringing it into the US? 

Funny, the next truck I looked at was also imported from Canada.  WTH?!   Granted our dollar is stronger than theirs but is the paperwork that simple to import a newer vehicle these days?