HOOD UP VS HOOD DOWN

Doug Novak

I do several local Car Shows with my '68 AMC AMX which does well and is an AACA Grand National Car as well.

After the pass two local Shows I came to the realization that to compete having hood up is mandatory for reasons I understand and agree to, but

there's no better joy to me then just to get people walking the show field to stop and want to examine the car and talk about the car.

The first of the last two shows I went Hood Up and when they called for the Awards I put the hood down, then as I walked to the gathering  I looked back

at the car with the Hood down and realized how much better it looked with Hood Down. At the next Show, over 200 cars, I Showed it Hood Down knowing it

would disqualify it from Judging and Awards. I don't need any more Trophies, I more or less am retiring it from Awards and instead offering it to the

general public to admire a enjoy. This proved true the second show. With Hood Down People would walk by and do a double take turn and come back and

really look it over. Lots of conversations that day more then any I can remember. Hood Down from now on, only exception wll be Hersey but once judged for

a forth Preservation Chip, I think the hood then goes down for the rest of the day.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Doug and 1937.  Hood down looks much better.  It really shows off the shape of the car.

If having the hood down disqualifies you from judging, I think I will go this route and keep my hood down.

I will have to admit, however, several "lookers" do have some comments about my engine, etc., with the hood up.

I usually start out with the hood open since not many people are familiar with a 356ci flathead straight eight.  It does gather a lot of comments.  The side-opening hood is a novelty to most.  Unfortunately with the hood open, the very over-the-top Cormorant hood ornament isn't displayed in all its ostentatious glory.  I swear it's the most photographed item at the local car shows.  I will always close the hood if someone asks me to for the sake of taking pictures.   After a couple of hours,  I close the hood simply because the cars look their bulbous best with it down.   I don't do the judging thing.

1949 Custom.JPG

1950 Custom.JPG

• Like 1

I agree with everything Doug wrote.

If a hood must be up, keep it up only until the

judges have finished.  Then put it down so

everyone can enjoy the styling and overall view

of the car.

Personally, I'd rather see the hood down all the time,

unless the engine is something quite unusual.

I take pictures of cars for our regional newsletter,

and have done so once or twice for our national magazine,

and the cars are ALWAYS pictured with their hoods down.

It's a shame to pass up some interesting cars because the

hoods are up and the owner isn't around.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I always keep the hood on my car closed, but will open it to show interested people what the motor looks like.

The most memorable instance of this was about 2 years ago when I was at a local cruise night with my 1936 Packard std 8 club sedan. Several fellows who had newer

cars, modifieds, but obviously worked on their own machinery, were looking at my car which is completely stock. We started a conversation and they asked to see the motor.

I opened the hood and they were really interested and asked intelligent questions. So, there I was standing with about 4 guys who all had long hair, some braided, lots of tattoos,

etc. when one of them said "Wow, its a straight eight" all the other guys who were his friends nodded and looked further, I was taken aback at the comment, but my 20 year old son

poked me with his elbow when he noted my reaction and told me "DAD, THINK ABOUT IT, THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN A STRAIGHT EIGHT BEFORE, BUT THAT'S ALL YOU OWN".

The kid was right.

I have an idea for this, I understand the reasons for both sides and I understand the need to have them open for judging.  Let's take a typical AACA Meet, or any other event that is structured. In most cases 99% of the time the cars are released at 3PM, maybe have a time where the hoods are to be closed from 1:30 to the release time. allowing for photos and other appreciation for spectators. I love looking down the row of cars at Hershey in classes 26b to 27e just to see all of the great colors. When the hoods are open it does take away from the visual impact   

• Like 2

I also have and show a '74 Porsche 914 and have fun with the younger ones when I open the front hood and rear trunk lid

while telling them there's no engine, or ask them where's the engine.

The car has an air cooled VW flat four,  mid engine mounted and  low behind the seats and hard to see.

It really depends on body style, and a features, in my opinion. If it's a "little black dress" type, you don't need to see anything else, because it looks fantastic just from outward appearances. If you drive a "pantsuit", such as myself, you have to open the hood. Otherwise it looks like any other burgundy pantsuit.

I take all my pictures while the cars are pulling in. That's why I get to all the shows early! Hershey kills me because I have to stay with my car until judged. As far as my car though, the hood is always left up.Do you know how much effort it takes just to scrape and sand the burned paint off the heads and exhaust manifold before repainting them, and the admiration I get at shows when others can't figure out how I manage to keep them in shape? Every week I wipe any dirt dust and grease from the engine compartment, apply Vinylex to the hoses and plug wires, and replace any labels that appear wrinkled from the heat and moisture. The spectators appreciate it!

If you are with your car and you have hood up or down, and there is an interest from some one looking at the car I try to generate conversation to get a feel for what they want or need to see. I have no problem closing the hood or opening it to let them see the engine or to take pictures, either way.  My current status is to go in hood down. Usually you can judge a person's interest and then ask them if they want the hood up. Same with the Trunk. Usually the ones that are showing their car will want to see everything which I have no problem with and enjoy doing it. If I'm not at the car it will be Hood Down from now on.

One other thing that we are all subjected to is the Award Process at many shows is Peoples Choice, which I think Hood Down is best to do, or Participants Choice which might be better Hood Up. Problem sometimes I see with Particapants Choice is it becomes vote for your buddies car, or your Club Members Car.

For me none of this matters anymore, I'm done chasing Trophies, I have enough (36) and I don't want any more. Now I'm in it for the fun not the glory.

AACA Judging on the other hand, is the best I've ever experienced, totally different and fare, IMO.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)

7 hours ago, cutlasguy said:

I take all my pictures while the cars are pulling in. That's why I get to all the shows early! Hershey kills me because I have to stay with my car until judged. As far as my car though, the hood is always left up.Do you know how much effort it takes just to scrape and sand the burned paint off the heads and exhaust manifold before repainting them, and the admiration I get at shows when others can't figure out how I manage to keep them in shape? Every week I wipe any dirt dust and grease from the engine compartment, apply Vinylex to the hoses and plug wires, and replace any labels that appear wrinkled from the heat and moisture. The spectators appreciate it!

3 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

Might depend on the crowd as to those who are knowledgeable about engines and those who don't care what the engine looks like.. Hood up takes away from the beauty of the Body while Hood down takes away from the technical or mechanical. If you are at a Local Small Town Show the participants also showing their cars can appreciate a clean, correct, or modified engine, but if the families in the town come out to see the cars, they most likely would like to see the car as it would be shown at the Dealers Show Room. Most Dealerships sell more cars that are seen on the Show Room floor usually, if not always, with the hood down.  

I had my '21 Chevy pickup at a cruise night some years ago,had the OHV open rocker arm/pushrod/flywheel engine idling so slow you could count every stroke.A hippy type walked by,stopped,and remarked "Wow,man.The original Chevy small block" ! I love it.

I take a lot of photos,though,and prefer the hood down.

Jim

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)