Shrink wrapping a car for shipping?

If you could find the white protector sheeting they put on new cars when they ship them . You can just put local to that window , I think it is removed with heat gun at dealership .  If not keep vents of heating system open and it will exchange air as you go down the road .

When I sold my 1926 Chevrolet coupe, the guys wrapped it in plastic on the trailer and then they were down the road. They went from southern Oregon to southern California.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that the car was in a fire and was fairly rickety to be on a trailer until the wrapping job. I used to have photos, but recently lost a bunch from my computer.

• Like 1

You can buy heavy-duty stretch wrap and mummify the car (up to 120 gauge) or shrink-wrap like they use on boats. You need a heat gun to use the shrink wrap. You can even purchase a vent and an access door for the shrink wrap. I use Uline. They deliver the next day in my area.

Phil

I had an '87 AMC Eagle as a daily driver back when I was maybe 22 or so. Working at a church camp I had a staff of kids and they knew I loved the car. They wanted to prank me by covering my car with chocolate syrup but were worried I would be mad they got it on the paint so they shrink wrapped it to protect the car. It was successful but took longer to clean up than if they had just covered it with chocolate. They also poured water on the camp kitchen stoves to put out the pilot lights they were concerned about once. Fun times.

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

Never ever use duct tape on automobile paint. I have spent too much time removing that adhesive in my collision shop days. And if think paint is bad, try removing it from a vinyl roof!:o

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Never ever use duct tape on automobile paint. I have spent too much time removing that adhesive in my collision shop days. And if think paint is bad, try removing it from a vinyl roof!:o

The 55 had some duct tape on the trunk and I still don't have it all off. I haven't actually addressed it yet so if you have ideas, please share them. 

If anyone of my friends want to host me overnight on my trip from Tx to Or and have room for a truck and car hauler, and have a good enough reputation with this group, let me know. The prospect of sleeping on guard in rest stops isn't my first choice. Just know I won't trust anyone unless other AACA members are willing to vouch for you. 

On the duct tape removal, try Goo Gone, it seems to work on adhesive removal better than anything else I've tried.

I'm going in a month to pick up my Pierce Travelodge trailer, and it's wrapped in the boat wrap mentioned, that's the best way to go if you can.  If you're going to wrap it in plastic, find some industrial stretch wrap, it comes in different strengths and if properly stretched when applied will work well, I've moved an early small car in the back of a pickup using stretch wrap...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

On the duct tape removal, try Goo Gone, it seems to work on adhesive removal better than anything else I've tried.

I'm going in a month to pick up my Pierce Travelodge trailer, and it's wrapped in the boat wrap mentioned, that's the best way to go if you can.  If you're going to wrap it in plastic, find some industrial stretch wrap, it comes in different strengths and if properly stretched when applied will work well, I've moved an early small car in the back of a pickup using stretch wrap...

I got rolls of stretch wrap from Lowes at his direction. He said he's used it before. 

Last time I transported a car on an open trailer I used something called Road Wrap to cover the front of the car and the open / missing window.

It's like shrink wrap with a mildly tacky surface on one side.  I put it over the front to protect the car from stone pecks and over the window opening, it was a side glass, to keep rain and other stuff from entering the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-6-x-100/dp/B005UQKPWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1494424902&sr=1-1&keywords=road+wrap

There was a bit of tape residue to remove once I got the car home.  I used Goo Gone to remove the residue.  A quick wipe and it was gone.  I'd recommend testing on small area to see if it will affect your paint before going all over your car with that stuff.  The 20 year old lacquer on this car didn't seem to be bothered by it but your mileage may vary.

WParo in VT

10 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

If anyone of my friends want to host me overnight on my trip from Tx to Or and have room for a truck and car hauler, and have a good enough reputation with this group, let me know. The prospect of sleeping on guard in rest stops isn't my first choice. Just know I won't trust anyone unless other AACA members are willing to vouch for you. 

NEVER sleep in rest stops.  That is where social deviants and trollers pick on easy targets.  try airbnb for safer accommodations.

• Like 1

I stretch wrapped a 48 Indian motorcycle I bought and hauled 1000 miles. I had never seen this done but felt it would work well to protect from road hazards, inclement weather, and make it more secure for an overnight stop. I put enough layers on that you could tell it was a motorcycle but most would have trouble determining what type new or old so it didn't attract attention. Used standard stretch wrap then 3" wide packing tape over it every foot or so to make sure it would not begin to separate or flap in wind. the wrap stayed secure and it arrived in same condition it started in. A motorcycle is easy, a car would be a lot more work but doable. You definitely want to tape over top of the wrap.

• Like 1

Goo Gone or Goof Off to remove tape residue.

Plastic wrap will trap moisture and cause severe rust problems over time. 2 weeks may be ok if it is in a dry climate. In a wet climate it will get wet inside the first day and never get dry.

Best way to protect the car at night, get a big dog and let him sleep in it or beside it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kgreen said:

NEVER sleep in rest stops.  That is where social deviants and trollers pick on easy targets.  try airbnb for safer accommodations.

Note taken but I will have a trailer and most Airbnb's don't have the right parking. Also, did I mention that I can't back up a trailer (need pull through parking) and I need to keep an eye on the car? Lol

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I've traveled with a trailer as well and can vouch for difficulties at some places.  I'm planning a trip to the UP with my car and trailer.  I've selected the airbnb places I want and contacting them in advance for parking limitations.  Hotels ussually have ample parking for trailers.  Just hoping you stay safe.

• Like 1

DO NOT use the Road Wrap stuff that tripwire suggests. I used it on my '46 Ford "Woodie" and it took hours of polishing to remove the spots it left in the paint. Perhaps because my car is black had something to do with it, but I will NEVER use it again. It left hundreds of small round spots. I called California Car Cover, the place I purchased it from and was told "we have had some complaints". I would be very careful of any plastic against the paint except the "collision wrap" Roger suggests. The body shop I frequent covers the cars in the shop with it and never has an issue. Be careful though, the one I am familiar with has printed on it which side should be on the paint. If the car is left in the trailer too long heat may cause a problem with some plastics. The major car shippers do cover the bottom cars in a double decker transport, why not give them a call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Isn't it worth the difference between an open and closed transport?

Or spend a couple hundred bucks and have a glass shop put a window in.

I am hauling it myself and am driving anyway. It's over 2k to ship enclosed. Also, I can't find help here to get the window fixed or I would. It still wouldn't address that the doors and trunk don't lock. There is no hardware because there is a remote kit for them that was going to be installed. Bottom line is I don't have a lot of help here which is why I haul them 2200 miles to home. I run out of options and do what I have to do to get it done, including sleeping in the truck to keep an eye on things. 

2 hours ago, kgreen said:

I've traveled with a trailer as well and can vouch for difficulties at some places.  I'm planning a trip to the UP with my car and trailer.  I've selected the airbnb places I want and contacting them in advance for parking limitations.  Hotels ussually have ample parking for trailers.  Just hoping you stay safe.

Thanks. I can't leave this car unattended as it will have parts inside and the only security will be the wrap. It's not an ideal situation but I appreciate your concern. 

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Goo Gone or Goof Off to remove tape residue.

Plastic wrap will trap moisture and cause severe rust problems over time. 2 weeks may be ok if it is in a dry climate. In a wet climate it will get wet inside the first day and never get dry.

Best way to protect the car at night, get a big dog and let him sleep in it or beside it.

My Pitt will be traveling with me but she will be in the truck with me. She will hear any noises and alert me and wouldn't let anyone in the truck. Lol

That wrapping idea concerns me.

I don't think I have ever seen a plastic wrapped load the wasn't flapping at speed.

I remember a guy that had pulled a tarp over his new paint job and pulled it down with bungees to get it to a swap meet.

Only a hundred miles or so but it indeed ruined his new paint.

56 minutes ago, JACK M said:

That wrapping idea concerns me.

I don't think I have ever seen a plastic wrapped load the wasn't flapping at speed.

I remember a guy that had pulled a tarp over his new paint job and pulled it down with bungees to get it to a swap meet.

Only a hundred miles or so but it indeed ruined his new paint.

Yes I have heard of that with covers but am told shrink wrap is different. At any rate I have no other choice. 

When I sold my 68 GTO two winters ago the shipper that picked it up layed the wrap on the bed and wrapped the complete car. I remember him saying they had to cut a hole in the back to let the air out when driving or it would become a balloon and start coming apart at the seems.

Thinking about this after seeing it pop up a few times, I would just cover the seats and go.Maybe a piece of plywood cut and stuck in the window opening would be OK.

I had a '53 Jaguar shipped open from Washington state to New York and the seller cut two pieces of plywood and chalked them into the windshield opening. I don't think it was rained on.

All this wrapping and cover stuff gives me images of the person coming out of the bathroom with a trail of toilet paper behind them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Thinking about this after seeing it pop up a few times, I would just cover the seats and go.Maybe a piece of plywood cut and stuck in the window opening would be OK.

I had a '53 Jaguar shipped open from Washington state to New York and the seller cut two pieces of plywood and chalked them into the windshield opening. I don't think it was rained on.

All this wrapping and cover stuff gives me images of the person coming out of the bathroom with a trail of toilet paper behind them.

When I've been caught with the toilet paper trail, coming out of the bathroom, I quickly tell folks I have a fax coming in. 

• Like 1

I think that it may work Victoria. I have received parts that were shrink wrapped with no discernible damage. Whatever you do don't apply duct tape to your paint. Two instances, one forty years ago when I had a friend bring back a Pierce Arrow back from Utica NY to Seattle. An original car needing restoration. Previous owner had prepped for shipping by using the stuff. When removal was attempted the original paint came with it. Second instance was a friend's 1935 Studebaker which was taped and shrink wrapped for shipping from Pa to Seattle. Problem arose because sr was on for about a month, as he visited family. When removed, it was claimed, that the paint had actually sagged, and in spots was no longer flat. It seems that a quick turn around and paint condition are critical.

• Like 1