My English teacher's red pen would be on fire with this Ad.

auburnseeker

I ran across this ad on ebay.  I couldn't help but think of my English teacher and his red pen.   This one would have been solid red.  

What is a" frame full salad"?

"1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good shape little no rust on the rocker panels nothing too seriousa car that has a lot of potentialcar has a 351 Cleveland engine that has been change four years ago as 90000 miles all interior trim has been repainted Chrome is in very very not too bad shape interior seats of minor wear and tear new carpet new headliner new dash pad on steering everything is pretty well in very well working order new tires trunk is in fantastic shape original paint no holds very very little rust very good potential do this car paint has a little bit of wear in it but no big Ford deal if needed to contact telephone number"

Looks like it could be a good car but between the bad photos and poorly written description alot of people will probably just pass it over. 
I did just realize this is listed as in Canada, so hopefully it's just a language barrier. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I ran across this ad on ebay.  I couldn't help but think of my English teacher and his red pen.   This one would have been solid red.  

What is a" frame full salad"?

"1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good shape little no rust on the rocker panels nothing too seriousa car that has a lot of potentialcar has a 351 Cleveland engine that has been change four years ago as 90000 miles all interior trim has been repainted Chrome is in very very not too bad shape interior seats of minor wear and tear new carpet new headliner new dash pad on steering everything is pretty well in very well working order new tires trunk is in fantastic shape original paint no holds very very little rust very good potential do this car paint has a little bit of wear in it but no big Ford deal if needed to contact telephone number"

Looks like it could be a good car but between the bad photos and poorly written description alot of people will probably just pass it over. 
I did just realize this is listed as in Canada, so hopefully it's just a language barrier. 

Buy a comma for gosh's sake.

• Like 2

A break in sentences would be nice.  The way it flows (if you want to call it that) you have no idea whether the seller is talking about the last item or the next one.

I'm still curious as to why the frame is full of salad?

Is that the definition of a true field/ farm car? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I cave costed a few sad abs myself tanks to auto carrot.

(I have posted a few bad ads myself thanks to autocorrect)

• Like 1

A lot of people don't think it matters, that the world is waiting for that particular car to be listed, and regardless of quality of ad, there'll be 100 people lined up at the door the second the ad hits....

Little things like pictures, condition, grammar, price, don't really matter to these people.

Now, if your ad reads "1933 Pearced Error, no top, sum silly metal tag reads "LaBaroon", car two heavy with big Vee engine, grate shape, $2500", then the world might beat a path to your door!!

In reality, buyers are much pickier these days, and without knowing some details, may not even call on the car.  Calling on a car where the price isn't listed, or the seller won't tell you the price in the first minute of conversation, is wasted effort in most cases.  I once called on a car I was very interested in at a fair price, the seller went on and on about details that, in his mind, made his car worth more, and in the end quoted an asking price about three times market (and this was after almost an hour on the phone!).

Buying a car is easy, selling one can be a challenge......

• Like 2

I don't think I would call, even if there was a phone number.  When I see stuff like that, I assume is a Nigerian in a Burger King with Wi-Fi, re posting pictures from somebody else's ad.  I'd bet he'll ask me to send money via Western Union because he's out of the country at this time.  Keep Shopping.
  • Like 1

John_S_in_Penna said it right when he said "Occasionally, we've had ads like that on our forum! ".  You also have a lot of posters that do not know the difference between present and past tense.  Ending a sentence with to is also incorrect.  You also have people who don't know the difference between to, two and too.

Y'all from south of the 49th otta go easy on my Quebecois and French fella citizens.  It aint their fault that they cant speke the most common language in the world.:):):)

54 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I wasn't trying to be part of the grammar police squad,  but when it is almost completely impossible to understand what the seller is trying to sell, even with the pictures included, that makes it worthy of a comment or two.  Hmm or is it too??? ;)

Not YOU.......ME.

I'm a grammar Nazi....... :D

I didn't study English enough to know if that's a problem, but if I was describing a number 1 condition classic car to someone that was a car guy and wanted to know how nice it was, I very likely would use those 2 words together the same way.  I call it emphasis.  It does get a point across. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gangster said:

I watched a guy talk on TV this evening for an hour and twenty minutes, he used 'very very' at least twice, may need to check where he was born, sounded frenglish  to me.

Bob

Yeah, I've noticed that his use of superlatives is somewhat similar to Martha Stewart's, but even more annoying because he's very,very redundant. I recall a thread about spelling from a couple of years ago that got quite contentious, quite quickly, before it was finally taken down by a moderator. Towards the end of the ranting some irate individual declared, "Those who can spell are the ones that must be bowed down to." I replied, "Well, now you're ending sentences with prepositions just to iritate us."  The whole thread disappeared all together shortly after that. I think that this is a subject that a lot of folks are quite touchy about, so tread cautiously.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

All right, here's an actual job description on a very nice website, looking for automotive craftsmen. I copied it so the two mistakes are real....or are there three?   I will give you the actual website if you PM me, I wouldn't want to embarrass the owners of this business publicly:

"Metal Fabricator   /One who will master their craft so our body technicians will not have to work with pour quailty.   "

Spellcheck,  but proofread afterwards (or should it be after words?)......

Give the person a break.  The vehicle and I would guess the poster is located in Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada.  A suburb of Montreal.

I wish I could read/write/speak French as well as the poster of the ad can write in English guessing the poster is a French speaking person.

I think I would have at least removed some of the mess inside the car before taking pictures. With digital cameras, it is quite easy to retake pictures to replace blurry attempts. This is a car I personally like, but the ad would definitely make me think twice about considering it - probably not fair, but that's just my gut feeling.

16 hours ago, Tinindian said:

John_S_in_Penna said it right when he said "Occasionally, we've had ads like that on our forum! ".  You also have a lot of posters that do not know the difference between present and past tense.  Ending a sentence with to is also incorrect.  You also have people who don't know the difference between to, two and too.

Y'all from south of the 49th otta go easy on my Quebecois and French fella citizens.  It aint their fault that they cant speke the most common language in the world.:):):)

The most common language in the world?  I didn't see any Chinese in that advertisement.

• Like 1

Even in China and all over the world the air traffic controllers speak and work in the English language on the air.  The only place that there is any difficulty using English is some airports in Quebec.  Some of them will give you a hard time if you  don't/won't  speak French.

Everyone has different skills and backgrounds, and

of course we can be understanding of others.

That doesn't keep us, though, from impersonally

taking a stand for excellence in anything--including writing.

For example, I'm not a great painter.  So someone who 

is kind wouldn't criticize my painting if he was talking to me.

But impersonally, such as on the show field, people can

set standards for excellent painting, and appreciate those

who do it well.

5 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Even in China and all over the world the air traffic controllers speak and work in the English language on the air.  The only place that there is any difficulty using English is some airports in Quebec.  Some of them will give you a hard time if you  don't/won't  speak French.

So, what you are saying is that these people are provincial? :D

Item specifics

Condition:    Used

Seller Notes:    “1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good working order. Frame full salad clean floor has nothing with Russ little lower rust on the rocker panels nothing too serious has a 351 Cleveland engine has been changed for years ago cars and very good running order trunk is immaculate no holds original paint car needs nothing but a driver”

Here's the frame is filled with salad part. Could be the full frame is solid is what was meant.

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good shape little no rust on the rocker panels nothing too seriousa car that has a lot of potentialcar

nothing too seriosa, sounds nice, almost has an Italian ring to it. 

• Like 1

I just wasted a bunch of time writing a clever addition to this fun discussion. Signed it , and stupidly went through it to make some clarifying edits. ZAP ! GONE ! I keep forgetting to post , AND THEN edit. That is a good trick for clumsy computer oafs such as myself. Once posted , ones creative works are robust , and aparently handle post posting edits ad infinitum. This thing I a bit nasty to me tonight , so I think I will do something else for a while.   - Carl

10 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Item specifics

Condition:    Used

Seller Notes:    “1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good working order. Frame full salad clean floor has nothing with Russ little lower rust on the rocker panels nothing too serious has a 351 Cleveland engine has been changed for years ago cars and very good running order trunk is immaculate no holds original paint car needs nothing but a driver”

Here's the frame is filled with salad part. Could be the full frame is solid is what was meant.

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door sedan in very good shape little no rust on the rocker panels nothing too seriousa car that has a lot of potentialcar

nothing too seriosa, sounds nice, almost has an Italian ring to it. 

My original thought was that we shouldn't need an interpreter or the Rosetta Stone to read an ad for a fairly common old car.  

Even if they just had some kind of sentence break(with each new thought starting on a new line)  excluding any punctuation, it would have been a whole lot easier to decipher. 

• Like 1

I used to search common misspellings looking for a deal. Convertable was probably the most frequent one I used. At some point, about a year ago, I just thought "I really don't want to buy a car from a person who advertises like that." Cars carry too much of the previous owner's personality with them. I have one car that was the person vehicle of a local dealership owner. It always feels creepy and a little greezy when I drive it. Just imagine driving that and then getting into one permeated with stupid.

OK, now, the "meated" in permeated is not like greezy meat in the first car.

Bernie

I have had any number of stupid cars.  Always the fault of the machine, not the mechanic in my case.  Don't start me on engineers who design things that only a left handed Nicaraguan ski jumper can fix.  

• Like 1