AACA Museum & AACA, What is Going On

midman

I am hoping that once the excitement dies down and those who see the museum as an ego building monument to their immortality move on to greater things it may be possible for the museum and the AACA  to cooperate again. I would like to see figures on how many cars have actually been donated to the museum, and how many are on long term loan, and who actually owns what. 

I don't know if it will do any good but I think that an idea from the NC Region Annual Meeting is a good one. The NC Region suggests its members to write letters to all of the Museum Board Members. I agree that putting them on notice that their recent actions have consequences is a good idea. I have letters going out in today's mail to the Museum's Executive Director and each of the Museum Board Members. Here is my message to them:

"Due to the recent actions of the Board of Directors of the AACA Museum, Inc., I wish to be removed from any and all mailing lists, email distribution lists, or other contact information lists that you may have.

Over the years, I have been personally responsible for some cash contributions as well as non-cash contributions to the AACA Museum, Inc. I have also previously encouraged the Cape Fear Chapter AACA, NC Region AACA, as well as my fellow members of both of those AACA clubs to make donations to the AACA Museum, Inc. 

I am unhappy with the actions of the board of directors of the AACA Museum, Inc. The museum board’s actions clearly display a lack of appreciation of the financial and other contributions of the Club, its Regions, its Chapters, as well as those of the individual members of those groups over the lifetime of the museum.

Until a change of leadership or a change in the leadership’s direction back towards a cooperative working relationship with AACA occurs, I will no longer be a financial supporter of the AACA Museum, Inc.    

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Matthew C. Hinson"

In case anybody else is interested in their mailing addresses here you go...

Jeffrey Bliemeister 161 Museum Drive Hershey, PA 17033
Alan Brechbill 479 English Ivy Court Hummelstown, PA 17036
William D. Cammack PO Box 74 Fort Valley, VA 22652
Richie Clyne 950 Rancho Circle Las Vegas, NV 89107-4620
J. Thomas Collins 800 Avondale Road, Apt 4K Wallingford, PA 19086
William H. Edmunds 678 Stoverdale Road Hummelstown, PA 17036
Hank Hallowell 688 Heiden Drive Hummelstown, PA 17036
Edward Lacey 160 Lamb Tavern Lane Glenmoore, PA 19343
Albert Porter 1 Kellocks Run Road Hummelstown, PA 17036
William  Rothermel 548 Wallingford Road Lancaster, PA 17601-3526
Ms. Toni Rothman 4 Kerlin Court Garnet Valley, PA 19060-1339
Donald E. Schell 1700 Olmsted Way West Camp Hill, PA 17011
Richard P. Sills PO Box 6446 Lancaster, PA 17607-6446
William H. Smith 2083 Schoolhouse Road Middletown, PA 17057-3633
Dale J. Yingst 1341 East Main Street Palmyra, PA 17078
  • Like 1

Our Region voted last night to have nothing more to do with the Museum, including our yearly $500 donation to support upkeep of a car.  We also supported our President sending a letter asking for our $500 this year to be returned.  The vote was Unanimous.  Also, I never got the letter, but a past president of another region sent it to me by email.  I agree with the comments by Jim Jones above, and I still feel the club should cut it losses, separate and move on with a necessary facility elsewhere in the Hershey area.  The club owns the current headquarters and library building, and some of the cost of the new facility could be repaid when the current facility is sold.  I think any legal action would be debilitating to the treasury, as well as their of course.  Avoid legal costs anywhere possible unless it is a quick slam dunk deal.....and legal action never is.

• Like 3

In the end everyone, the deed is done.  We have separated ourselves from the museum but wish them great success.  Anything that will help preserve this hobby and introduce our wonderful cars to the public is of service to the automotive community.  AACA will now concentrate even more on how to grow our club and provide the best service and benefits to our members as possible. AACA has tried to present the facts, not make this personal in any way and to handle our business ethically and responsibly.

This is a big year for the club with the introduction of the Zenith Award competition and the first ever joint AACA and CCCA meet. New awards for the HPOF/DPC classes (5 cards gets you a mug).  Moving forward is what we should be doing. Thanks for all the letters, calls and emails of support as it does mean a lot.

• Like 12

Oh why did I sign on here this morning?!

I've decided to accept and move on, (and it was a particularly difficult decision for me to do so.) That being said I really would not encourage writing harsh letters to the Museum folks now after the fact. Let's let it be! The decision has been made and the two groups will go on with their separate plans. We don't need to play Hatfields and McCoys fussing and throwing stones at each other anymore. No one gets anything out of that.

Let's PLEASE put all that effort into our Club and Library, meets and tours.

• Like 4

Steve I agree with what you 100%. We're still Posting a lot about the Museum, all negative understandably. The good thing is we see now that a merger is, and never was going to be possible due to lack of mutual support from those running the Museum. There's a lot of "stirring the pot" on this subject which is a distraction to us looking forward to the new direction the AACA Club is partaking in for the good of our Club. The best position I believe to take with the Museum is to just ignore them for now and hope time will change things for the better.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 2

All of this is just another reason I stay out of most club activities. About 20 years ago when I was very active in our local region - including serving as Co-Chair of the 1996 Grand National, Ron Barnett approached me about considering getting involved at the national level and maybe one day running for the AACA Board.  While I appreciated his confidence in me, my response was "I really have too much fun in the hobby to ruin it by being involved in club politics".    The best way for me to get out of a national club is to see all the dirty laundry of club politics being aired and potentially tearing clubs apart.  I know club politics happens but I like it better when it is kept behind the scenes.  (I did go against my own rules and became a national board member in a single marque club and after seeing the politics, I left the board and the club and am no longer a member of either so I should have listened to my own advice LOL)

Having said that - I guess I fail to see that what happens between AACA national and the museum affects me personally.  I support the AACA by being a member, and to be honest, other than the one visit I took to the museum, it has no real benefit to me that I can see.  I see no benefit to writing the museum board members and telling them my thoughts because I doubt they really care.  We elect a AACA Board and I figure they are more "in the know" to make the right decision(s) than me as an average member.  If I ever get tot he point where I truly disagree with what the board decides, I can always quit paying my dues and not worry about it any longer LOL

• Like 2

Everyone has to do what they feel is best. Personally, I think that, as someone who has contributed to the museum in the past, I need to let the museum board know that I disagree with their recent actions. Hopefully, the museum board will quickly realize that a majority of their previous contributors wish them to return to their previous cooperative attitude towards the club. I think that the majority of their contributors are members of the club. Their recent change of direction towards an adversarial position with the club is going to cause them to lose donations. If they realize the feelings of their prior contributors, perhaps it will help them correct their recent actions quickly to return to a cooperative working relationship with the club sooner rather than later.  

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

return to a cooperative working relationship with the club sooner rather than later.  

Seems to me it was a one way street. Our funds, contributions, and labor all flowed to the museum and we got free admission in return............ Duh!

As my mother used to say "We got the chicken, they got the cow."................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

In todays mail, I received a three page, double sided letter from the AACA Museum explaining their side of the issue. I'm sure all members will get one. Quite frankly at this point, I have know idea who to believe. Can't we get an arbitrator or something and kiss and makeup.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

In todays mail, I received a three page, double sided letter from the AACA Museum explaining their side of the issue. I'm sure all members will get one. Quite frankly at this point, I have know idea who to believe. Can't we get an arbitrator or something and kiss and makeup.

Apparently your letter took a bit longer to arrive than most. If you will read all of the posts in this discussion you will find explanations refuting the incorrect information contained in that letter. The museum board was not interested in arbitration. 

I joined the AACA in 2003 after I retired and had more time to attend auto shows.  I have always thought the museum was run by the club and I never had any reason to believe otherwise.  Then things hit the fan and I discover I was wrong.  So now we have cut our ties and moved on.  I'm OK with that.  What I don't like is that the museum calls itself the AACA Museum.  That is so wrong.  I think they need to come up with a new name.  Does the club have a copyright for the AACA name?  If so, it should be a simple matter to require them to stop using our name.  That way, new members coming on board the club will not be mislead as I was. 

• Like 1

I too have not received the Museum letter, but many of my friends have.  Over the years I have participated in their annual Museum Show, volunteered and assisted with preparation of some of the cars and exhibits prior to the Museum opening, bought tickets for the Corvette raffles and donated money.  Living only 32 miles from there I visit it a few times each year.  Perhaps I have not received the letter because they are sending them out in alphabetical order or know my loyalties are with the club.  

Eric, I received my letter from the Museum on Friday, January 27,  My last name begins with T and I live on the Left Coast--both of which means that I receive many mailings late.  I noted that the letter was sent via non-profit organization postage (less than first class), i.e., non=profit junk mail--which will further delay delivery.

Bob Hill, I have no idea why YOURS is so late!

• Like 1

I bought a raffle ticket on a car at a Buzzy meeting last summer from Marty that I believe was drawn at Hershey. Was that fund raiser for the museum or the club. If it was for the museum it will be my last dollar going there. 

46 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I bought a raffle ticket on a car at a Buzzy meeting last summer from Marty that I believe was drawn at Hershey. Was that fund raiser for the museum or the club. If it was for the museum it will be my last dollar going there. 

It was a shared fund raiser!

4 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Joe, 

At that time we were still doing joint fund raising for the Library and the Museum. Also at at that time our negotiations were proceeding.

It was always our wish for both organizations to succeed, and for both organizations to benefit our members.

I still wish success to the Museum, but my loyalty at this time is to OUR AACA CLUB and OUR AACA LIBRARY.

5 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Joe, 

At that time we were still doing joint fund raising for the Library and the Museum. Also at at that time our negotiations were proceeding.

It was always our wish for both organizations to succeed, and for both organizations to benefit our members.

I still wish success to the Museum, but my loyalty at this time is to OUR AACA CLUB and OUR AACA LIBRARY.

Glad to here that as it shows the club was cooperating with the museum to the end. Thanks Marty.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When the separation between the club and its museum

first took place, people were discussing whether the 

name "A.A.C.A." should be on the museum.

Now--I see from letters dated April 21 being sent to regions--

the club is forcing the museum to delete "AACA" and

"Antique Automobile Club of America" from its name and publicity.

The AACA's lawyer has written to the museum for just such a purpose.

Your regions' officers should be getting the letters if they haven't already.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

And, for discussion, what does everyone think

our (former) museum's new name should be?

None of us may be part of the museum or its management,

but our ideas will be as good as anyone's.

Have not heard that it is going to change, John.  Did you hear something to the contrary or do you want "what if" ideas?

Just for morbid curiosity, does anyone have a copy of the letter they can post, if that is allowed?

I, like many others, am tired of the whole museum discussion, but just can't help but rubber-neck to try to see the rest of the story.

Also, there are still many AACA sites (including the magazine) which still have descriptions of the club, and in the description stating the club operates the museum.  Has someone been tasked with changing the wording of said comments?

David, any help you can give us in ferreting out the remaining references to the museum please let us know. I thought we had all the magazine ones fixed but realize there are still some here in our P & P manual which has not been revised yet and maybe others.

News travels fast.  We wanted to inform the region and chapter president's quickly.  Yes, AACA values its 80+ year heritage of its name and it seems appropriate if there is no affiliation whatsoever with the museum that it is in our mutual interest to change. Our legal counsel and the club feel it important to not mislead anyone as to the true nature of our entities.

David, there is nothing to hide but the letter came from our attorney to the museum and is not something at this time that should be posted in my opinion.  There is nothing but a straightforward request for them to voluntarily give us back our name.

We wish the museum nothing but the best but we are charting our own course for the future. 

No problem on not posting the letter, I understand completely, just thought I'd ask!

The March/April 2017 Antique Automobile Magazine, page 99, "AACA An Introduction", fourth paragraph, has the line "The club, through its headquarters, publications, Library & Research Center, museum, and membership...."

(this may have been changed by the next magazine??)

I had seen some references not long ago on the website, but it looks like y'all fixed them, well done!  I couldn't "ferret" out another reference!

Not suggesting that our asking the Museum to remove our name from their building, literature and correspondence is improper, but, I doubt that the Museum would appreciate what our suggestions for a new name for the Museum might be. Could fuel a new fight between us and them which is counter productive. However, they would be smart to identify them selves with "Hershey Entertainment" and name the Museum something like, "The Hershey Auto Museum".