YOM plate confusion leads to arrest for driving classic car

1935Packard

He was told to pull up his shirt and could have been shot. He reached for his belt area to grab  the shirt bottom but they wanted him to pull his shirt up and off by the collar.

Wife reached into the car to grab her crutches and they thought she might be reaching for a sawed-off shotgun.

Me and my "outlaw" Franklin.

I used to live in San Diego, California before moving to Texas (thank goodness). I owned (and still do) a 1921 Franklin touring car with a top speed of about 38 mph.  

We loved to take the car into eastern San Diego county and drive in the foothills and mountains. Of course, we would always pull over to the right to let cars pass. One time, about 13 years ago, we were on just such a jaunt east of Alpine when a sheriff's car pulled behind us with red lights flashing. We were driving on a two-lane highway. The Sheriff accused me of illegally passing cars on the right while going up the previous grade. In response, my wife and I couldn't help it -- we just burst out laughing. I told him it was not physically possible for my car to go over 45mph, much less pass cars going up a hill.

The sheriff kept us by the side of the road for about 30 minutes, conferring on the radio. Someone must have talked some sense into him, because he let us go with a warning -- not for passing cars on the right, but for moving over onto the shoulder of the road to let other cars pass. I told him I always moved over to the right to let other cars pass me; he stated that driving on the shoulder was not allowed.

Anyways, he left and we continued on our way. To this day, I almost wish the sheriff had written me up for passing cars on the right doing 60 mph uphill in my 1921 Franklin. I would frame that citation.

• Like 1

I'm certain being a GOOD police officer has to be one of the toughest jobs in the world and that routinely dealing with the scum of the Earth tends to make one jaded but these officers just plain exhibited really poor judgment...............Bob

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Someone told me once that the State Police wont hire a person with a high IQ as they may get bored with the job.

There was a quiet study done once comparing the police hiring practices of Newark, NJ and Boulder, CO (maybe Colorado Springs). Newark was said to deliberately avoid hiring the highest IQs, using mid-IQs as their goal, while the CO town hired the highest IQs. The results were that the CO police force suffered endless turn overs,  but the Newark police force remained fairly stable. Boredom was simply too much for the smarter cops. On the other hand, I bet that being a cop in Newark is probably less boring for any cop, regardless of IQ.

Happend to a friend with a "32 Ford with YOM plates. He was driving thru a mid western state and was pulled over. Cop pulled him and his wife over and when he walked up to the car window he started lecturing my friend about "you think you can just put any old plate on a car and you won't get caught"? My friend tried to explain that in NY if a plate matches YOM you can register a car with it. The cop said "never heard such a law". After about 30 minutes the cop walked back to my friends car, handed him back the registration and said "you are free to go", not "Im sorry for stopping you I was mistaken". Oh well!

I keep a copy of the NC statute regarding YOM plates in each of my cars along with the registration.

• Like 1

I have infinite respect for good police officers who do their jobs properly. But a lot of them are such idiots, and quite a few are so drunk on their power over regular citizens that psychiatric help is is order. I am totally not surprised at this incident. Sad, angry, shocked - but not surprised. And god forbid you try to protest while one of these idiots is ruining your day for no good reason other than their own incompetence. "If you complain, they're gonna get vicious / Kick in your teeth and charge you with assault" (MC5). 

• Like 1

Florida allows YOM plates. Have a few but never wanted to pay the $25/year extra. They do put the current registration sticker on them & what Florida LEO looks for. Have sometime felt sorry for neighboring states, Florida has over 100 different plates for special activities.

See here.

I remember when this happened last year. Disgusting.

Many years ago, I was ORDERED by a Califunny Highway patrolman to drive on the shoulder and stay out of the traffic lane with my model T.  Now, years ago, gasoline was a lot better than it is today, and the average model T could do 55 mph. My T had an overdrive, and would do 55 mph all day if I wanted it to. The speed limit on that road was 55 mph, and I was keeping up with traffic. I was not in any way an unreasonable hazard. 

Driving on the shoulder IS illegal (except for emergencies or farm tractors). But another law does say that you MUST follow a CHP officer's orders. So I drove on the shoulder for about four miles. Then, hoping he had found someone else to hassle, I pulled back into the traffic lane.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

1 hour ago, Plyroadking said:

Iowa allows YOM plates and you just keep your modem plates under the seat. You can bolt on any YOM plates you want, I keep copies of the vehicle code in the vehicles, I think I'm getting close to meeting and educating just about every cop in the area.

I have never heard of YOM plates before, and suppose California does not allow it. This does not seem reasonable in the least. An officer is m supposed to be able to call in a plate number and get the owner's name and registration status. Would that be possible? Your real plates are kept under the seat? Does the Motor Vehicle Department have the YOM plates you are using in their computer?

48 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I have never heard of YOM plates before, and suppose California does not allow it. This does not seem reasonable in the least. An officer is m supposed to be able to call in a plate number and get the owner's name and registration status. Would that be possible? Your real plates are kept under the seat? Does the Motor Vehicle Department have the YOM plates you are using in their computer?

California was the first state to allow YOM plates but being California they are handled a little differently than I've read about in any other state. Originally they were only for pre-1963 cars as all plates issued from 1963 and up are still current. They have recently done something to effectively re-issue the "black plates" but I am not sure what the details are other than I've seen them on brand new cars which looks weird to me.

For 1962 and earlier you need to find an original set of serviceable plates that match your model year. For some years, I think in the early 1950s, they issued metal tabs rather than plates if your car is one of those years then you need the earlier year plate and the tab for your year.

Here is the difference between California and any other state I remember hearing about: The numbers on the plates have to be "clear", i.e. not currently in use on any vehicle registered in California. The registration and (lack of driving restrictions) for YOM plates is exactly the same as a regular issue vanity plate. Once setup, the YOM plates are what are in the computer system for your car and are what are printed on your registration slip. You pay full registration each year and an additional "special plate fee". Because you are paying full fare the state has no limitations on driving. Your insurance company might care, but the state doesn't care if your drive the vehicle daily to work.

California also has a historic/antique tag you can get with reduced registration costs but those plates have driving limitations and I don't see many of them on things newer than the brass era.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, mike6024 said:

They have no record anywhere that ties me to that plate number, I asked about that when I first moved to IA as I moved here from CA and had registered YOM CA plates on my cars. They said they can add the YOM plate number as a "tracking number" but they didn't really want to. Surprisingly, every time I get pulled over its for the expired registration stickers that happens to be on the sets I'm currently using on the vehicles. On my 1983 the plates are stamped '79 but have 1983 registration stickers as all plates issued from 79 to 86? Were a stamped '79. I haven't met an officer yet that thinks my joke about me believing I just had to register the vehicle once when it was new is funny, but I'll keep trying

Florida has many, many plate options. I consider the plain blue and white "antique" plates ugly, rather have a normal plate.

Also "back in the day" Florida plates were coded by county, weight class, and use ("E" was a rental, rental companies fought it saying it made rentals targets. Today they put bar codes on the driver's side rear window). My Judge would have had a 7W-xxxx green (69-70) plate.

More specifically: "IV. REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHENTICATION OF A LICENSE PLATE:
Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or earlier. The license plate must be the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The license plate will be approved for issuance by the department as an authenticated license plate if the license plate has not been refurbished in any way and is still legible for law enforcement purposes. Authenticated license plates may only be issued to cars, motorcycles, and pickups weighing 5,000 pounds or less."

It is a little easier in Florida because there is only a rear plate. There used to be an "Arrive Alive" plate for the front but it has always been open (was told to take a Texas plate off the front once though). The Cobra Daytona use in Redline 7000 was rong.

West coast cops. In the eastern states they are a little more calm. I haven't seen one all worked up and excited since I got stopped driving the Rolls-Royce with the license plates from a '58 Chevy on it. He was shakin so bad the doughnut sugar was off his shirt had footprints in it.

I have YOM plates on the old cars. I take my wife out to special places for lunch and one weekend we were over in the next county with the '64 Riviera having the pizza slice special at a convenient store and gas station. We were sitting in the tall chairs in the "dining area" looking out over the Riviera. Their local patrol had U turned and come back angling in a few inches from my drivers door, blocking it. I told my wife "Watch this." They farted around on the radio for a few minutes, then sped away. She asked "What was that about?" I told her they just got a lesson in Year of Manufacture plates. I bet they choked on the New York State issued VIN, too.

Funny thing, if I had turned my car 110 degrees and moved it 40 feet back it would have been in the spot where I bought it 37 years ago. It was backed up to the gully at the Texaco station used car lot that became a convenient store.

I heard that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Does that work both ways?

Bernie

• Like 1

Once avoided a ticket in NJ for "enthusiastic shifting" when the officer saw my whole right hand was in a cast (bent Jag shifter was close enough to shift with my left). Wouldn't happen today, tires have a lot more grip. Can make the Crossie sound like an automagic.

Just because somebody does something for a living does not mean they do it well, 10-15% of everybody employed in any certain "profession" is not that good at it Doctors, Lawyers, Plumbers, Electricians, Cashier's, Chrome guys and yes even Cop's. While it is true that a police job can be hard, but most jobs can be hard at times. I have many friends who are retired NYC PD and said it was a pretty easy job. Yes there are risk's but they knew of those risk's when they took the job,We all heard "he (or she) is the best in their field" that means someone has to be the worst

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, padgett said:

I have an "E" plate (rental) with a "Hertz Rent a Racer" license plate frame for the Judge but a normal plate for the street. Two screws.

I must be missing something here? I am not sure what this ^ has to do with the the original post about YOM plates and the law enforcement's lack of knowledge of it

Well the "E" plate is a YOM for my Judge. Just if you want to be really correct. A Florida YOM should be for the proper county, weight group/vehicle class (but the state will register any clean YOM).

Point is that Florida has hundreds of YOM, Personalized, & special group plates. Local LE just looks for a current year sticker on the right side.

ps rippling in picture is plastic film cover.

7eplate.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, padgett said:

Well the "E" plate is a YOM for my Judge. Just if you want to be really correct. A Florida YOM should be for the proper county, weight group/vehicle class (but the state will register any clean YOM).

Point is that Florida has hundreds of YOM, Personalized, & special group plates. Local LE just looks for a current year sticker on the right side.

ps rippling in picture is plastic film cover.

7eplate.jpg

I am still not sure what, if anything at all this has to do with the original posters thread, but I now do have to ask what does local "LE", and "E" mean? I am well aware of the multitude of plates offered in Florida. I even have set of Horse Country plates on my tow vehicle that is titled in in Florida, I just think they look pretty nice, and sort fit the look of my truck. 

I would like to think Florida DMV dictates what is "really" correct, so if they don't require the county to be on YOM plate then why give them any ideas? I have 6 of my vehicles registered in the state of Florida, and never knew about the YOM plates, then again I never paid much attention to it. I did notice a few cars at the Naples meet with them on and just thought someone put them on for the show, I was not aware Florida allowed it.  I believe that the weight and class info is on the code on the plate sticker as well as your registration card. 

" I am still not sure what, if anything at all this has to do with the original posters thread, but I now do have to ask what does local "LE", and "E" mean? I am well aware of the multitude of plates offered in Florida. I even have set of Horse Country plates on my tow vehicle that is titled in in Florida, I just think they look pretty nice, and sort fit the look of my truck.  "

From an earlier post-

"Also "back in the day" Florida plates were coded by county, weight class, and use ("E" was a rental, rental companies fought it saying it made rentals targets. Today they put bar codes on the driver's side rear window). My Judge would have had a 7W-xxxx green (69-70) plate.

More specifically: "IV. REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHENTICATION OF A LICENSE PLATE:
Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or earlier. The license plate must be the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The license plate will be approved for issuance by the department as an authenticated license plate if the license plate has not been refurbished in any way and is still legible for law enforcement purposes. Authenticated license plates may only be issued to cars, motorcycles, and pickups weighing 5,000 pounds or less."

And this is a good example of why I stopped judging, no one seemed to want the level of detail I thought necessary for a "platinum" or points judged class. Would often also take several hours per car. My particular field was electrics, instruments and gauges, and options but also emulated Quigley a bit. For example in 1967 GM used 80 column punch cards to track orders. If you knew the option code, you knew which columns were punched. This meant that a "tach and gauges" could not be ordered with a safeguard speedometer even though both were legitimate options because both would need to punch the same column

Prior to 1975 Florida plates were coded by county (1-69, there being 68 counties in Florida at the time and the last for an registration from out of the state - we have a lot of snow bunnies), weight (D, <nothing>, W, and WW) or class (E- rental, C/V - commercial vehicle, DLR, etc.) but not both.

Counties were ranked by population so if you saw a "1" plate it was Dade county (Miami). You could also request a special plate if not issued so in my yout I had a '59 Jag XK-150s with 6-3442 (& have come full circle with  the GTP LQ1). Extra points if you understand that one.

LE is Law Enforcement. In Florida we have the FDLE - Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Texas had the "Department of Public Safety" but that always reminded me of the French Revolution.

Yes I do make obscure references sometimes but it is all on the Internet, you just need to know what question to ask. Do you need footnotes ?

25 minutes ago, padgett said:

And this is a good example of why I stopped judging, no one seemed to want the level of detail I thought necessary for a "platinum" or points judged class. Would often also take several hours per car. My particular field was electrics, instruments and gauges, and options but also emulated Quigley a bit. For example in 1967 GM used 80 column punch cards to track orders. If you knew the option code, you knew which columns were punched. This meant that a "tach and gauges" could not be ordered with a safeguard speedometer even though both were legitimate options because both would need to punch the same column

Prior to 1975 Florida plates were coded by county (1-69, there being 68 counties in Florida at the time and the last for an registration from out of the state - we have a lot of snow bunnies), weight (D, <nothing>, W, and WW) or class (E- rental, C/V - commercial vehicle, DLR, etc.) but not both.

Counties were ranked by population so if you saw a "1" plate it was Dade county (Miami). You could also request a special plate if not issued so in my yout I had a '59 Jag XK-150s with 6-3442 (& have come full circle with  the GTP LQ1). Extra points if you understand that one.

LE is Law Enforcement. In Florida we have the FDLE - Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Texas had the "Department of Public Safety" but that always reminded me of the French Revolution.

Yes I do make obscure references sometimes but it is all on the Internet, you just need to know what question to ask. Do you need footnotes ?

Thank you for clarifying your observations and comments. Part of the problem I have with these internet conversations is that I presume everyone is trying to stay on the topic when they reply to a post, and even more confusing when a poster presumes everyone knows what the voices in their head told them as they are posting. I am not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand the point you are presenting

Thanks for offering Mr Padgett, but no I don't need footnotes, at least you admit it, and yes you do make obscure references, a little more then just sometimes. Being you brought it up the sentence you wrote before that admission is a perfect example "Texas had the "Department of Public Safety" but that always reminded me of the French Revolution."  You got me on that one, I have no idea what point you are trying to make with that one

It is a darn shame that nobody appreciated your vast knowledge of the different states DMV coding of license plates as the "good example" you gave as to why you quit judging. So if I understand this one would better off in one of these events that you were a judge at if they used regular everyday DMV issue plates, or even better yet had none on the car at all. "Several hours to judge a car" you must have had a lot of judges or not a lot of cars for that task! I stepped back from judging myself in the last few years. I was the National Judging Chair for a specific make club, and I just found I never got to see the cars, or many of my friends

Did you attend the Naples Meet?  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2016 at 11:07 PM, John348 said:

Just because somebody does something for a living does not mean they do it well, 10-15% of everybody employed in any certain "profession" is not that good at it Doctors, Lawyers, Plumbers, Electricians, Cashier's, Chrome guys and yes even Cop's. While it is true that a police job can be hard, but most jobs can be hard at times. I have many friends who are retired NYC PD and said it was a pretty easy job. Yes there are risk's but they knew of those risk's when they took the job,We all heard "he (or she) is the best in their field" that means someone has to be the worst

Remember this when dealing with doctors, lawyers, cops, whatever...Half of all those practicing their professions graduated in the BOTTOM half of their class.

Can also just mean someone who does not test well. OTOH those in the top half may just read faster and not understand well. Testing well can also send the wrong message for example someone who really understood the physics of a dragster (don't tell me the maximum coefficient of friction is 1 when a top fuel can pull 4 gees) might sound like they understand calculus.

I think the bottom line here is that the police officers could have handled this situation a little better. When they realized they were in their 60's or 70's all three should have holstered their weapons. They could have explained the reason they were stopped and double checked the numbers and the entire situation would have been de-fused.  Three cops shouting three different commands helps nothing and only adds to the confusion. After all the dust clears and the lawsuits are settled it's the taxpayers that are going to foot the bill for their attorneys. Hopefully all the police will get is a suspension or fine and don't loose their jobs.

I was smiling more than bleeding sympathy when I saw this vid the first time. He had to do something that provoked suspicion. Even my car parked in front of a rural town convenient store with a license plate stamped NY Worlds Fair '64 aroused suspicion. The bad guys are cunning at stuff like that.

OR the Nevada cops saw the Washington State plate and mistook them for people from Washington, DC. And , seeing that trail for the last 200 years, I'd investigate as well.

Is it true the people of Washington State are lobbying to change the state's name to avoid confusion with that other bunch?

Bottom line, if I was that guy I'd spend about 15 minutes, three times a week with a couple of 5 pound weights and stop quoting the bad guys.

you-talking-to-me.jpg Especially in a taxi yellow Chevy.

Lighten up.

Bernie

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Can also just mean someone who does not test well. OTOH those in the top half may just read faster and not understand well. Testing well can also send the wrong message for example someone who really understood the physics of a dragster (don't tell me the maximum coefficient of friction is 1 when a top fuel can pull 4 gees) might sound like they understand calculus.

Well this might be true in some situations, but not in the case of any civil servant ( in this case it is three Police Officers) who do not perform their job well. These guys took a test, then a physical exam, and then a psychological exam. So it looks like they tested well, for them to make the list and move on to the next steps. My problem is that out of the three officers not one had common sence to stop the other two from their actions. Well.............and for the the rest of your comment again I have no idea what point you are trying to make or how it even relates to the topic, it must be me

No, just enjoying the conversation. Most of the LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) I know are really good guys. Used to be one of the few civilian members of FACCI,  InfraGard, and spent a lot of time working north of Clarksburg.

I agree, something does not sound right about the incident.

ps John348 - I used to have a 78 Sunbird with the same drivetrain as your Mirage (not available with AC). Think I broke or cracked just about everything possible including breaking the clutch linkage out of the firewall.

My best cop friend passed away a few years ago. We were a pretty good match. He wrote Santa a ticket for speeding once. It took about 20 minutes of everyone was  blowing the horn at Santa waving to them. I know the whole story.

He used to ride a horse with another sheriff in local fireman's parades. He was quite proud of the story about the little boy who exclaimed to his Dad about the part of the horse that surprised him. The other sheriff just said "yes he is." More in common.

Once we stopped into one of those little country bars for lunch when I was working the 3-11 shift. A few hours later I called in to work and said I was being detained by the police and couldn't make it.

In fact, I was out with him the day I was 29 years and 364 days old.  I said that was the last irresponsible act I'd commit before I turn 30. It was, I was over 30 for the rest.

I'm pretty comfortable with law enforcement. I know I earned every pull over and ticket I ever got.

I never had an incident with a woman on crutches but I remember a very angry man standing in the dust waving one in a parking lot as I drove off with his girlfriend. Just one more donut around him in the dust.

Entertaining thread for sure.

Bernie