JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Did a much shorter tour today, about 70 miles of driving, and it felt like we walked almost as much. Read on, my friends!

First we visited a clock museum, the only one in Canada, and it was very interesting. Lots of neat clocks from the 19th through the 20th century. Many stylish ones from the 60's that I recall family members having. Then lunch at the Canadian Forces Base in Petawawa. We ate in the enlisted mess, and a very nice cafeteria, it must of been quite a different from what my Dad enjoyed during his time in the army 75 years ago!

Lastly a walking tour of Pembroke with a guide telling us about the various murders and such that took place in early part of the 20th century. This was of course the warmest day of the week, mid 80's or so, and some folks were feeling the heat quite a bit, after nearly a couple of hours walking up and down the hills through town. We ended up back were we had parked our cars, but it seemed like we walked more uphill than down!

Keith

• Like 1

We had a good drive home, though the heat was building as the day wore on, but we made it home before dinner! About 900 miles or so all told for the five days, and the '56 Roadmaster ran perfect through it all. Oil consumption was quite reasonable, less than 1/4 of a quart, which included quite a bit of highway driving. This is less than I've have had it use in the past, but this spring I finally got to install the vent pipe that I bought from Lamar a couple of years ago.

Being a California car, in the 70's it had a retrofit of a primitive PCV system, but I have since returned it to the factory correct setup, so the crankcase is venting properly again.

I'm thinking that this is the reason oil usage is much less than before.

Keith

• Like 2

Headed out to the annual Yankee Chapter show today:

2016 yankee Chpt 01 .JPG

Partly Cloudy with small chance of rain, till later this evening. Then definite rain showers!

2016 yankee Chpt 02.JPG

But makes no difference.  The Queen is ready to travel.  When the sun did come out, it was another HOT one!

2016 yankee Chpt 03.JPG

But I love driving the big girl with the 4 40 A/C on days like this.  

2016 yankee Chpt 04.JPG

Yes, Linda stayed home, so all the windows were down.

2016 yankee Chpt 05.JPG

• Like 1

Of course it is always great to see our friends from the other Chapters but the show attendance seemed lighter than other years.  But there were more stunning Buicks that I had never seen before. 

2016 yankee Chpt 06.JPG

2016 yankee Chpt 10.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 12.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 09.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 07.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 08.JPG

2016 yankee Chpt 11.JPG

• Like 3

After the show we took Rt 68 over the mountain instead of the over crowded highways we used to get to the show.

2016 yankee Chpt 34.JPG

And I thought this must not be a college town!  If It was those signs would be brand new each week.

2016 yankee Chpt 35.JPG

Afterwards we took Rt 8 north just like last year.  What a great highway!!!  This year instead of veering off on a westward path in northern CT, we took Rt 8 through the Berkshires in Massachusetts all the way to the end.   WOW!!!  Seriously, this is a road that begs to be traveled!

2016 yankee Chpt 36.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 37.JPG

x

• Like 3

The last picture I got was this sweet lake on Rt 20 in Mass. 

2016 yankee Chpt 41.JPG

After that we ran into that rain that was predicted.  Worse , we decided to take the path home that went past Lebanon Valley Speedway.  Apparently they were hit with some heavy rains before we got there and to add to the traffic woes, people leaving the parking field dragged out a few dozen yards of mud, which we could not avoid. Then the state is replacing two bridges requiring alternating traffic in the one remaining lanes, so we spent a good 20 minutes or so in a backup for that. 

Still, a great ride in a great car, for a wonderful day.  Thanks Yankee Chapter folks for a nice event!   

• Like 2

I took the Wildcat out to a show & shine this afternoon. I was too late to get it in the show but enjoyed walking around seeing some different cars than I normally do and taking advantage of store special on Meguiars products. 

Once i I got tired of that I went further afield to look at a '96 Riviera for sale. It was fun but the car may need more than I want to put into it especially since I haven't seen bills for the '29 yet. 

I took the Riviera out on Friday and had a fun time. It almost cost me major money as I got stopped for going 97 in a 85 zone.

He was nice and after checking for a seat belt and some stern warnings on what would happen if he caught me again, he let me go.

Glad he did the fine would have been $ 307.00.

• Like 3

Hey John, I have to ask about the black shoes that 'The Queen' is sporting.  I noticed them in earlier photos, so were they on the car when you acquired it or did you install them.  It's interesting to me given all of the recent discussion on other threads regarding 'proper' whitewall widths and blackwall vs. whitewall, etc.  I do think the blackwalls work on the 2-door, maybe not so much if it were a 4-door, or with wheelcovers rather than road wheels...

• Like 1

Well, the car did come with the proper rims, hubcaps and whitewall tires.  I installed the road wheels with the blackwalls cause it's just my mindset.  The white walls help the hubcaps to blend.  Chrome road wheels, in my opinion, do not need the help.  That being said, I do have raised white letter tires on my 69 GS..

tn_IMG_9013.JPG  10 30 autumn buicks0001.JPG

• Like 3

Took the opportunity to join a fellow buick enthusiast at a show in Parkland, Washington in the south part of Tacoma.  Meant an early morning for me, as it's a 3 hour drive from Vancouver, but definitely a good opportunity to stretch the legs of the Electra given it ended up being a 350 mile round trip.  Not a huge show, but combined with a street fair, it made for an enjoyable day.  Turned out to be a very hot day pushing 100 degrees, and the heat was evident by 8:30 when I arrived, but it was a cool run in the morning and the car ran great.

tn_DSCN3003.JPG

Arriving at the "Peach Arch"  border crossing just before 6am.  This is at the northern tip of the I5.

tn_DSCN3009.JPG

Sunrise with the morning mist still in the fields in Ferndale, WA

tn_DSCN3013.JPG

Sun just over the horizon casting a shadow of the Electra in Mount Vernon, WA

tn_DSCN3015.JPG

Over the bridge into Seattle

tn_DSCN3049.JPG

69 Wildcat convertible at the show

tn_DSCN3056.JPG

Modified 50 Sedanette.  This car won best 50's, but unfortunately runs a 350 Chev. Nicely done car though

tn_DSCN3067.JPG

67 Wildcat and Electra 225.  I love the color combo on the Wildcat... it also has buckets and console with a built in Tach. 

tn_DSCN3076.JPG

And just for JD, here's a rather poor sunset picture.  It was a long day, but the car ran flawlessly, even in the afternoon heat on the way back at a steady 65-70mph and got 14 mpg which is not bad considering the speed (it does a little better cruising at 60).  Luckily was able to dodge the typically poor Seattle traffic on the way back, and decided to run home with the top down instead of running the a/c

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks Doug.  Great post.  That sunset picture from the left coast  is priceless!

12 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, the car did come with the proper rims, hubcaps and whitewall tires.  I installed the road wheels with the blackwalls cause it's just my mindset.  The white walls help the hubcaps to blend.  Chrome road wheels, in my opinion, do not need the help.  That being said, I do have raised white letter tires on my 69 GS..

tn_IMG_9013.JPG  10 30 autumn buicks0001.JPG

Wow - the 'before & after' really capture the attitude shift the car has with only the wheel & tire change!  I like the stock appearance, but man, she looks like she means business in the 'after' shot...

• Like 2

Thanks Em Tee!  My brother said the same thing when he saw it.  The only problem I have right now is I changed the rear springs and now the back is too high.  I have to put in new front springs to get the right angle again. 

I took the '41 Roadmaster to a local cruise tonight. A very lovely night weather wise here in Toronto. I was a bit unsettled when we went to start the '56, as a connection in the gas pedal linkage separated at a joint just under the floor. Rather scary, as I have hardly moved it since we got home from the 900 mile drive. Sure glad it didn't happen while we were on the road.

Keith

Buick41Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Last night I went to another local cruise in with the '41. A few interesting cars that I haven't seen before were there. A '73 Electra 4 door, in a slightly more orange colour than mine.

I was not able to talk to the owner too long, but he looked a 30 something guy, and loves the car. It looks to be quite original, and I think that velour type of material would be correct for the car, but I do not know for certain, but I'm sure that John will. Great cars, but rarely worth the money to do any serious restoration on them.

Plus a Canadian built army vehicle, called an Iltis, designed by Volkswagen, and built under license by Bombardier as an general light duty utility vehicle.

Also, rarely seen unless you're in the Edsel Club, 1960 Edsel, which was the last year, a short one at that, for this controversial car, and the love it/hate it horse collar grille was replaced by a less distinctive one, but was unable to stave off the inevitable.

Keith

Buick73FullSml.jpg

Buick73Int1Sml.jpg

Buick73Int2Sml.jpg

Iltis1Sml.jpg

Edsel1.jpg

Edsel2.jpg

• Like 1

That's a 75 or 76 Electra, and I am sure that's an original interior option.

I have had the 47' out several times this week. Drove to our general meeting and ice cream social last night. 

Tomorrow is my birthday, so as long as it doesn't rain, will be driving her tomorrow.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Tomorrow is my birthday, so as long as it doesn't rain, will be driving her tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Buick Brother!