JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Congrats on your new purchase Skeet! Its' a very nice looking car. Any troubles getting it going after its' long hibernation?

Keith

Ok not the weekend, but I finally found time to put the new shoes and hubcaps on the Electra to replace the Ralley's so had to take it for a shake down cruise.  I know it's correct this way, but after 14 years with the Ralley's it's a little hard to get used to!  I received the correct 67 rims from a Wildcat owner in Washington (thanks Badgerman!) and picked up a set of decent hupcaps from Ebay and had them sent to Smartin for his expert treatment.  Rides nice and smooth with the new rubber.

Before and After:

tn_DSCN0408.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

• Like 3

Nice Electra!

No pictures from me as I was too busy, but it was the "safety inspection" night at our local cruise, Wed (last night) night and yours truly is one of the two inspectors. This is not a full on inspection that is required to certify a used car here in Ontario, but a through visual check of lights, horn, parking brake, the steering is checked for looseness, fuel system for leaks, and so on. We checked 10 cars, and all of them passed, though a couple showed some wear in the steering system. The owners are generally happy to hear of the good things, but also the bad as well.

Keith

Doug and others, I am seeing some mighty nice pictures of Buicks here, please consider adding some of the nicer and most picturesque photos to the "Favorite Pictures of my PreWar/Post War/Modified/Performance/Reatta/Riviera Buick"   threads. The threads can be found pinned in each of the respective sub forums.  :)

I was able to at least get Beulah out to turn her around in the driveway and put the top down. She is still having some issues that are keeping her off the street.DSCF5203.JPGDSCF5204.JPG

• Like 2

I put sormewax on mine and then drove it up to the shady corner of the yard where I used a tiny brush to daub a little white paint on about 8 chips. Then back again. Big deal.

029.JPG

Tomorrow I plan to drive along Lake Ontario up to a restaurant in Lewiston where you can see Canada across the river. And Toronto from the hill.

Toronto-Lewiston.jpg

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I don't usually see a picture of my home town on the forum. Very neat. I live in the area on the left side of the frame.

Thanks Bernie.

Keith

• Like 3

Leaving tomorrow morning for the AACA Sentimental Tour. It will be about 200 miles tomorrow followed with 5 days of about 100 miles per day, followed by 200 miles back home. Temperature is expected to be in the mid 90s all week so I will certainly be happy that the 1937 Century has really good vent windows. 

• Like 1

This was a bit of a milestone day. It was 40 years ago that I bought the '56 Roadmaster! I cannot believe that so much time has passed. I have driven it almost 101,000 miles in the intervening years. It had 51,340 on it when I got it, and today it has 52,260 on it, plus once around, of course.

For fun and to celebrate this anniversary, my wife and I went out to our storage barn and took it out and did a cake and champagne toast to it.

Keith

56Buick1Sml.jpg

56Buick2Sml.jpg

56Buick3Sml.jpg

56BuickCakeSml.jpg

• Like 7

I rearranged the shop today so that the Wildcat is now accessible and the Electra is not so much. Luke also helped with the Electra - first time he's successfully driven one of the old cars (had trouble with the footwork of the clutch with the '41 previously). He will get a lot more practice on the trip to Allentown. 

Lights all all checked out on the Wildcat. Time to switch wheels, change oil, charge R134a, and do some shakedown. 

• Like 1

We drove 232 miles today most of it at speeds between 60 and 70 mph on major highways with temperatures over 90 degrees for all of it. Ready for tomorrow morning's start of the tour. Here are some photos of some of the Buicks in the hotel parking lot this evening. 

DSC_0514.JPG

DSC_0516.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

• Like 4

Tonight (Sun) I took the '41 out for a short drive. I has only been started and moved for the last couple of weeks, and it doesn't seem to like that, so I drove about 7-8 miles topped off the tank with gas, and it seems to be running a bit better.

Keith

• Like 1

I drove my 1956 Buick 34 miles on Saturday for our Oakhurst Road Rattlers Car Club breakfast.

• Like 2

2 miles isn't much but it was a successful drive. Maiden voyage after 6 years and 905 hour body-off project.

IMG_3475A.jpg

IMG_3476A.jpg

• Like 10

Very beautiful Riv, (aren't they all?) love the colour. Did you really count the hours you worked on it? I'm always afraid to do that!

Keith

Keith

I was very conscientious in keeping a spread sheet on hours. I recorded down to 15 minute increments. Besides the obvious I Included things like drive time to pick up parts, time researching authenticity, finishes, searching for parts, etc. 

More eye opening than labor is when you track every cost down to a can of paint at Walmart! It became very clear how turn key  quality restorations by a professional shop can easily exceed $120k

• Like 2

I admire your tenacity in keeping track of time and costs. In another life, so to speak, I used to do sales and pricing for work that our company would be doing, and I sometimes applied that to what I was doing on my car, and was very glad that I didn't have to be paying for all my labour! So I certainly understand how costly it could get for a full professional restoration.

Keith

This morning I took the '76 pace car to the mechanic to replace wheel nuts - the ones they'd gotten when we put on the red wheels were two piece with caps that would get loose and pop off. There are now solid nuts on there. We also sat Joseph down to go over some stuff since he will be working there for the summer. The household will get back some of the money we've spent there over the last 11 years. 

6 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I admire your tenacity in keeping track of time and costs. In another life, so to speak, I used to do sales and pricing for work that our company would be doing, and I sometimes applied that to what I was doing on my car, and was very glad that I didn't have to be paying for all my labour! So I certainly understand how costly it could get for a full professional restoration.

Keith

Hopefully you don't count hours like a lawyer does.  A 5 minute phone call gets billed as an hour.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hopefully you don't count hours like a lawyer does.  A 5 minute phone call gets billed as an hour.

No, unfortunately not. I always quoted fair, sometimes giving the customer some extra.

Keith

I had the '41 out today for about a 70 mile drive. Plus I went to a local cruise night last night. Quite a few interesting cars, a few Buicks, a Rolls Royce Corniche from the 80's and a late model Beemer done up as a tribute car to the still lamented, at least here in Canada, AVRO Arrow, RL 201. A truly state of the art fighter jet that was cancelled in 1959 by the Canadian Prime Minister of the day, John Deifenbaker. The company went out of business, and guess where all of those aerospace engineers went to? You guessed it, a nice place in Florida, NASA!

Keith

Bill's '41Sml.jpg

BMW_Arrow1Sml.jpg

Buick41Sml.jpg

BuickSkylarkGSSml.jpg

Rolls close up1Sml.jpg

Rolls1Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Out touring with the truck and having a nice drive at about 28 mph (according to GPS) and all of sudden bang, clang, clang, etc....

Threw no.1 rod through the side of the pan.  Now my number 1 objective is to get the engine repaired and running before Allentown.

Wow, that is terrible. I do hope that you are able to get it running in time for Allentown, as I'd love to see it.

Keith