Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Hoping to Keith but with having to change another fuel filter today, need to drop that tank and really clean it out!

Don't mind finding a quiet side road to change a filter around here but... can't imagine having the issue on the Toll Roads! :wacko: 

We had the '41 Roadmaster out for a bit of a test drive with the GPS for the first time to check road speeds against the speedo readings. As mentioned before I got the stock 3.9 replaced with 3.4's from a '55 Century, which I have had for some time, actually.

The speedometer was rebuilt a couple of years ago, and when it was returned it was quite accurate, though not perfect. With the new gears, it is more accurate at higher speeds, than lower ones. Here are a few samples, Old gears, 30 ind., 31 actual   New gears, 30 ind.,  37 actual     At lower speeds, it was even worse, like 20 mph, was almost 30. 

50 ind., 48 actual                      50 ind.,  55 actual

60 ind., 56 actual                      60 ind.,  64 actual

70 ind.,  75 actual

If you take the 60, 56 to 64 mph the roughly 15% difference in axle ratio works out exactly.

However, the point is that I will have less revs at a given speed than before, and the gears are quiet.

Though it is still on running as well as it should, I feel that progress is being made.

Keith

• Like 1

I drove my daily driver (brand X) 560 miles round trip to Austin, Texas today to look at this beautiful 1931 model 96-S that is for sale. Drove it out of seller's garage and back inside. He doesn't have any license plates on it yet.  Car still for sale. Runs beautifully but it is the proverbial 20-footer. Barney, if I had known of the show in Georgetown, I would have stopped by!

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

• Like 5

Hope sitting in and starting this qualifies.  Today was our Chapters annual Charity fund raiser, which we call Cruise Into Summer.  Turn-out was lower than last year although there was a count of 130 cars.  Anyway, our sponsor dealer drove the '25  from the showroom to the site, and I had a chance to sit in it and crank her up.  I must say, it felt like a million dollars to be able to do this!

DSC05820.JPG

DSC05822.JPG

DSC05823.JPG

DSC05824.JPG

DSC05827.JPG

DSC05830.JPG

DSC05832.JPG

DSC05833.JPG

DSC05834.JPG

DSC05836.JPG

DSC05837.JPG

DSC05838.JPG

• Like 9

I was confused for a moment thinking JD had photos of two cars but I ultimately figured out that the "green" one in the first photo is grass reflection. 

Gray drizzly day day here but I went and got the '66 Wildcat and drove it about 40 miles to the city house. Everything went well including the wipers, although they are not nearly as effective as those on a new vehicle. 

Here's a photo my son took after pulling it out of the shop. 

IMG_0213.PNG

• Like 4

Attended the Puget Sound Chapter's All Buick Open in Puyallup (just south of Seattle) on Saturday.  Left bright and early on Saturday morning for the 330 mile round trip.  A little over 100 cars showed up a cloudy day.  Rain was not forecast, and most of the day was perfect car show weather, but rain showed up by the end of the show and followed me most of the way home.  Most I've driven the Electra in the rain.  Car performed well, handling the Interstate speeds with ease.  A great show seeing and meeting a bunch of really great people!  At the end, a few of us stuck around to stage a picture with the big cars, 1961 through 1971 represented (with a  few years missing)

tn_IMG_2623.thumb.JPG.9c1578ecd915bfd10dceff32ed28395e.JPGtn_IMG_2609.thumb.JPG.ecb62a01e0de1d1e309690e3508dc93d.JPGtn_IMG_2615.thumb.JPG.35cde9ac70d1d4e34977b881e3dc2f64.JPGtn_IMG_2619.thumb.JPG.ebc19b3386e91255ff4f9d5972293a61.JPGtn_IMG_2627.thumb.JPG.ffd78034d4990a20fc0791a294032154.JPGtn_IMG_2632.thumb.JPG.f063955086d6764c448769c15ac38bac.JPGtn_IMG_2647.thumb.JPG.a30c9df24b8e2b8cff5f33a77d1ab128.JPG

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

At the end, a few of us stuck around to stage a picture with the big cars, 1961 through 1971 represented (with a  few years missing)

Neat idea!  The BIG car class...  I like it...a lot!

• Like 1

We took the '41 Roadmaster to the Tues night cruise in tonight. It started to rain right after we got there, so then everyone started to leave! It seemed like we brought the rain with us, but we were really just running from it! I took a few pictures of an interesting custom built, but they are still on my camera.

The '41 drives great, but it is still not running right. I started checking the distributor, and noticed that when I rotated the rotor back and forth it kind of rattled underneath the breaker plate, so I'm thinking that something has come loose on an advance weight, as a guess anyway. This is a freshly rebuilt one from Bob's which I installed very late last year. So I will call them and try for an exchange. I had another one, used, so I installed it, and the interesting thing is that it seems to be running much better, but it is still not right. Worse when hot, it seems to be surging/cutting out, but it never actually breaks down. I adjusted the carbs for air mixture and idle, and the idle quality is very nice, and low speed driving is nice, up to 30 MPH or so, then it runs poorly, I brought it home across the highway at 60, and it was way more drivable than before. Still pulls strong at full power.

This is getting very frustrating!

Keith

Not sure if this helps but are you sure the points are OK? 

I ask because I had an experience with my boat and it was points.

Took a trip across Lake St Clair and up the St Clair River to Sarnia and it performed flawlessly that day. Spent a great summer weekend and on the trip back down the St Clair River while out in the middle of the shipping channel (it really is not that wide in that area) the engine starts shuddering while at cruising speed loosing power!

I throttled back and it smoothed right out and after checking to make sure no weeds were around my prop, throttle back up but the shuddering returned before getting back to cruising speed. Fortunately we were coming up a Marina (the last one before entering Lake St Clair) limped on in to it and sure enough the points were breaking down and the condenser was weak.

Wasn't cheap at a captive audience repair facility but like being stranded on the side of a major highway, one does not want to be calling for a tow out in the middle of a major Lake (even in good weather).

Hoping it is as simple as that for you.

This has happened with a couple of sets of points, and condensers. Though I have a another brand new, older manufacture condenser, which I might give a try later today. The frustrating thing is there's nothing I haven't tried, at least once, so I'm not sure what I'm missing, or can't see.

I'm going to have a mechanic friend drive the car, and get his opinion.

Thanks.

Keith

• Like 1

As the old expression goes, "what a difference a day makes" is still true. Yesterday we took the '41 Roadmaster to a cruise in, and it was Spring, we were rained out!

Today its' Summer, and we drove the Electra, and it was a perfect evening to wander around the 100+ cars that attended. The two other big Buicks I photographed also were there, a '76 Electra, and the '72(?) Centurion. This time I talked to the owners for a bit, and found out that the Centurion has been a local car all its' life, and he is only the second owner, and bought it last year. Though it was painted once, it looks very good, inside and out. Also, and I didn't take any pictures of it was a 1978 Lincoln Town Coupe, a very original car with the build sheet and window sticker. An imposing car, and the last of the really big Lincolns, factory built anyway. To my memory, even back when these were new there were very few of the 2 door models around.  

I also posted a few pictures of last (Tues) night's cruise as well, taken right before the rain started. I don't want to mention any names, but when it started raining lightly at first, some late model muscle cars, all the same make (not made by GM) left at the first drops of rain! We waited in the car for a while, but the rain only got heavier, so the organizers called an end to the evening's cruise.

This huge custom was there, and I'd never seen it before. A bit of a Frankenstein, that I'm calling "The Beast". It must be at least a foot longer than my Electra, with a stance like a Hummer. The steering wheel has the Caddy emblem on it, so I'm thinking that the chassis is an Esclade, but that's only a guess. I'm also guessing that it took a few donor cars and for sure lots and lots of custom fabrication. A very interesting creation none the less.

Keith

Beast1.jpg

Beast2.jpg

Beast3.jpg

Beast4.jpg

TwoBuicksWednight.jpg

• Like 5

Convinced the wife to go out to the weekly Wednesday evening Cruise-in out on the east side and after parking had dinner. Forgot the camera so no pictures but there were about 75 or so cars and chatted with a few that we knew. Afterwards took the long way home via the lake and went down river to the center on the City. With the re-construction going on, there is still no place to really stop and take pictures even had I brought it so headed on home. 

Car is doing fine so far.

• Like 2

Brought the Wildcat home from service today. 

The 1929 is patiently awaiting rubber and then it will be able to tool around a bit. 

Looks like the 1959 floors may actually see some work soon too. Next thing you know I'll have too many moving cars in the city. 

• Like 4

On 2017-6-22 at 4:38 PM, Thriller said:

Next thing you know I'll have too many moving cars in the city. 

But with all the drivers you have at home isn't it a thrill when you show up at a meet all together? ;)

• Like 3

So, today I drove 3 of my 4 Buicks, plus my wife's '16 Envision. Don't know if that counts here or not, but it is a Buick! I had the Electra out for a cruise, then into the garage doing some final maint. before the trip to Wisconsin. The NOS fan clutch from Pete Phillips arrived yesterday, so that is now on, and works well. It is now getting an oil change, new rad hose, and a new gas tank sending unit.

Then I took the '41 over to my buddies place to look at its' poor running. He set the dwell, adjusted the timing, and it is still not running well, idle is slightly improved though.

I'm seriously thinking of putting one the Stromberg's back on to see what difference that makes, as he also thinks that the other issues are carb related.

Lastly, I took my wife out for a late lunch in the '02 Rendezvous.

Tomorrow, I'm likely not driving my fun cars too much, as I play piano for an audience in the morning, then I'm getting into changing the gas tank sending unit on the Electra. Wish me luck, as I don't often play in public and am a bundle of nerves.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Tomorrow, I'm likely not driving my fun cars too much, as I play piano for an audience in the morning, then I'm getting into changing the gas tank sending unit on the Electra. Wish me luck, as I don't often play in public and am a bundle of nerves.

Playing piano in public is NOT my forte either! :o

In my case TOTAL CHOKE and fail.....

However, love the ivories when alone and quiet.:)

• Like 2

Drove the Special out to the Marina I used to keep my boat at (before I sold it) as there was a large gathering of family and friends for fireworks tonight.

IMG_1504.thumb.JPG.e10cf6ad778b23d4b1c25474cfbf010d.JPG

Later, drove on Down Town to capture these shots.

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.783ae107a9da3fd022705b4b336f6854.JPG

Looking at the Ambassador Bridge.

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.c20e7d01e0fefa20206ee46659cce70c.JPG

General Motors Headquarters in Detroit, Michigan.

• Like 6

Hi All,

It has been a lovely sunny 62F autumn day here and a perfect opportunity for a trip out to catch up with some friends. Location is Lake Macquarie, on the New South Wales Central Coast (Australia) about 100 miles north of Sydney. My friend, the photographer, was adamant that I was to be in the photo...my apologies to you all, Cheers Paul    

DSC03777.JPG

• Like 9

I trailered my 1924 "cut-down" pickup for the 120 mile round trip on the freeway to Brooks Oregon for the Rendezvous yesterday.  (It would have taken much too long to drive it there on back roads).  Here is a photo of one of the Brooks Museum board members next to the "Boat-top Buick".  It is now for sale with the canoe. But there were no takers yesterday as it was the hottest day of the year & turnout for the car show was limited.

24 Buick PU at Brooks.jpg

• Like 5