JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Just got home from the weekend tour (driving the '41 Roadmaster) a short while ago. Mileage for the weekend was just short of 600. It ran along so great at 60-65 MPH, and over 70, when I wasn't watching the speedo. That is also quite accurate now, as last year I had Scott Speedometer Service rebuild the head, and he did a great job calibrating it, as it seems to be dead on with the GPS. It still has the stock 3.9's, verified by counting the teeth, though I do have a set of 3.4's but I haven't got around to installing them in it yet, but I wonder if its' worth the trouble at times. Lower revs would be easier on the engine, of course.

Temps were about 90 F here, and it ran a bit warmer, but stayed within 200 even at the traffic lights. Though if I'd hit a serious traffic jam, I think I would of had trouble keeping it from blowing its' top.

Gas mileage overall on the trip was about 15-16, with one leg of easy driving nearly 17, with is remarkably good for the big straight eight.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mary and I took the Riviera to a local car show Saturday and picked up a trophy for best of class (60's cars)  The show was for the Lions club to raise money for the disabled children's camp.

20160625_141208.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Pretty sure that's an Oldsmobile, no?

That doesn't bother me much, I spent last weekend at the Oldsmobile Homecoming, and it was AWESOME!

The weekend before was the big all wheels show out at the lake (about 20 miles outside of town).  Got there a little late, only spotted 2 other Buicks.  Finally got around to editing photos last night...

afton  006.jpg

afton  007.jpg

afton  008.jpg

afton  005.jpg

• Like 2

The winner of the long distance award given at the annual ROA meet held this week drove his 63 Riviera from Ely, NV to Williamsburg,  VA and will be driving it back.  One way was over 2500 miles. He won the same award last year driving from Ely to Chicago. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

We had the '41 Roadmaster out tonight for a shortish drive, a just for fun kind drive, as I needed to do something nice. Reason, I think that I have some issues with my '69 Electra.

I will post in the thread about it next. Titled, "My New Infatuation..."

Keith

Just got the '56 Roadmaster home, about a 60 mile journey, and it ran perfectly all the way.

Keith

• Like 1

We took the '56 Buick out to a cruise night tonight, just a bit out town, about a half hour's drive each way. A really lovely night to be out. We get so much lousy weather here that it is so nice be out and about, and not battling against the bad weather.

A very nice '65 Riv parked near us, and it had wheel covers so much like the ones on the Electra, except for the centre emblem. Also, I took a few pictures of a Nash Metropolitan. I kind of like these cute little cars.

Keith

CruiseVet2.jpg

CruiseVet1.jpg

Nash1.jpg

56BuickFirstCruise2.jpg

56BuickFirstCruise1.jpg

RivWheelCover.jpg

• Like 3

Got rear ended in my 92 Riviera on the way home from the ROA National meet.  Happened in NJ in stop and go traffic on the highway next to an exit ramp.  Somewhat of a small tap but enough to push in the bumper absorbers thus creasing the side impact rubber.  Guy took off up the exit ramp while yelling "sorry".  Boy did that just fix everything!!

WP_20160702_007.jpg

WP_20160702_004.jpg

Oh man!  What a bad situation Dave!  Chances are the bucko didn't even have insurance. 

Meanwhile, what the heck is going on with all this bad news in the last several posts.  Think I'll stay out of the cars today.

Not the weekend, but I brought the Wildcat in from the country today to give her the once over before we start the long drive east in 2.5 weeks. Before beginning the drive I put the chrome wheels with radials on. 

• Like 2

I've been driving the '56 Roadmaster quite a bit, what with it being at the house, and then the modern Buick had to go into the shop for some work, so that was my ride for the day.

Also, I took it to a couple of local cruise nights this week. My friend's '53 Caddy, recently on the road after a long restoration, the colour rendition on the full side is more accurate than the close up. A Vet that was nearly the same shade as my Castle Grey Buick, only a bit darker. I didn't get to talk to the owner, but I think that it must of been a stock colour.

Plus this rather customized Chevy Caprice, that has been showing up to a few this year.

Keith

DicksCad1Sml.jpg

DicksCad2Sml.jpg

BuickVetSml.jpg

ChevConvert1Sml2.jpg

ChevConvert2Sml.jpg

The Vette is nice, but as for the others, they are interesting....I wonder if the upholstery shop paid that guy to do the interior with that material?

• Like 1

We went to the local cruise night / show & shine with the Wildcat, pace car, and Reatta.  The Manitoba Classic & Antique Auto Club was one of the featured clubs, so we were able to park together.  For a time, we were the only Buicks there, but eventually '65 and '67 Riviera showed up, a '72 GS, a '54 LeSabre convertible (I've seen the car before, but couldn't find it after seeing it drive into the lot) were there as well as a Skylark convertible that was outside the show area.

IMG_2390.JPG

• Like 2

I am raising my hand because I just got back from the 2016 KISS Tour for one and two cylinder cars. I have participated in previous KISS tours as a trouble truck driver and as a passenger/navigator, but this was the first time driving my own car on this tour. 

KISS Tour Model F Buick.jpg

• Like 5

We had the '56 Roadmaster out for a short cruise, 15 miles or so, after supper on Sunday. No pictures to prove it though!

Keith

• Like 1

Big downtown car show this weekend. 800-ish cars. Not many Buicks, but chatted up the owner of a couple nice Opels. Made a banner and threw across the back seat; it started a lot of conversations.  Dad won his 3rd award at this show, and the GT its first.  Sure hope to see those Opels again.  

Most pix by my dad & brother, as I didn't get to walk around until the sun was down. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by SpecialEducation
Site didn't want to let me upload pix. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I went to the usual Tues night cruise tonight, and there were a a number of Buicks, and other interesting cars there.

Three tribute cars, the General Lee, Starksy and Hutch Torino, and a Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am, A nice '73 Riv GS that I had never seen before, my car and a couple of other Buicks, with a '48 Monarch mixed in.

Plus one of a varmint in our backyard.

Sorry, a few pictures wouldn't upload. I'll try tomorrow.

Keith

RivGS2Sml.jpg

RivGS4Sml.jpg

ThreeBuicksSml.jpg

Tribute CarsSml.jpg

• Like 2

Love that Roady Keith.  Rethinking a set of wide whites for my Super.

• Like 1