Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Today was the day that we lead the tour for the McLaughlin Buick Club Homecoming tour, about 155 miles in the '56 Roadmaster. It ran great throughout the day!

We visited two private collections, then a zoo. It all went well, and everyone had a nice time, and more important, I didn't lose anyone on the tour.

I'll post some pictures later.

Keith

• Like 4

Here's a few pictures of our travels from our last couple of days. The '56 Lincoln MKII is a car I've long admired, and an uncle had one through the late 60's to the early 80's, and this is the first one I've seen in a number of years. The mini rat rod also brought back memories, it was made from a ride on lawn mower of the 60's, as my grandfather father had the same one, sold by a large dept store here in Canada, Eaton's. I really wanted to drive it (my grandfather's), but I never did as I was too young at the time. He had lots of trouble with it, and with only 5 HP, to propel you, and cut the grass, it would seem a bit under powered!

The yellow Rolls Royce is a Silver Ghost model which according to our tour guide brought most of the owners bad luck with their marriages. The first owner divorced his wife to marry his mistress, but then couldn't as he was titled, and she wasn't, so he paid an impoverished Italian count to marry her, then divorce her, so she could become a Countess, and was therefore able to marry her! Wow, I'm glad I'm just a regular guy. It is currently owned by the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa, Ont.

The lion shot was taken at Jungle Cat World, which we visited on Tues.

Just a sampling of our adventures this week.

Keith

Chris1sml.jpg

Chris2sml.jpg

Lion1sml.jpg

CAMRolls1sml.jpg

• Like 7

Last night I ran the GS to the Wednesday night cruise in.  It's roughly a 40 mile round trip.  That car never fails to please!  Today, my friend Pete, his dad Vince and I did a dry run of most of the After tour we are planning for our Regional Meet, then we went to the last Hemming's cruise in of this season.  Ran  it with the 56, and drove approximately 140 miles in total.  The fuel gauge is giving me some issues now, so to be sure, I filled it before leaving and after returning.  17 MPG!  And it ran near perfect, with the only concern the inconsistent off line (4GC) stumble.  Meanwhile the tour promises to be a laid back, and scenic event. 

• Like 4

After resolving an issue with my camera and pc interface, here are a few pictures which I would have included in my last post.

Wednesday evening was picture perfect!  But we are losing sunlight earlier now, so here is the result:

59973d6756950_DSC07441(1).thumb.JPG.abf361d33efb9dc518886afc8610ea2b.JPG59973d74d1835_DSC07442(1).thumb.JPG.ce9ba6afe692c552a802e08b8990ff1c.JPG

59973ee1ba24a_DSC07439(1).thumb.JPG.aa9351f9c6a29c349fea17e39e78b37b.JPG

And two other notable cars I had a chance to see for the first time.

DSC07430.thumb.JPG.6d869712156b65b540faa3e1472e27b5.JPGDSC07431.thumb.JPG.6cd6c4cc19d54f49a42e9a40597e388a.JPGDSC07433.thumb.JPG.432ceee7fe521c5b17a21bfa4c206198.JPG

It's not often you see an Impala with it's original Blue Flame 6 and a 3 speed on the tree!

The Mustang was just exceptionally clean

DSC07434.thumb.JPG.89fc6797267b5e65332559c8271f7df5.JPG

• Like 9

As to distance, maybe 10 miles round trip but.... she did me proud getting there down the Main Street to the Waterfront for a local show and back home later that night. :)

IMG_1888.thumb.JPG.4f658d7ff37b84b94b1c9e4685b5d4b4.JPG

Great show and lots of cars I have never seen before.

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.79ccac375249b81bf6ec227ed1661289.JPG

Guys, I'm sure you all know by now, when the wife is happy, Life is good! :D

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.cc26a0a9bf9de73d5eabf8ab40bc8d4c.JPG

Good weather, good music, good friends = GOOD TIMES!

IMG_1925.thumb.JPG.e55eb213ab5118052b86f2734e6bc5db.JPG

• Like 6

Wednesday evening Bear Mountain NY cruise in. Over 300 cars. Always a great turnout. Took the Electra for its first cruise in and my first time at this venue this year. Around 40 miles roundtrip. 

IMG_7846.JPG

IMG_7854.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7811.JPG

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7838.JPG

IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 9

I recently acquired a 1938 Buick Century Model 61 project car. The car was a good running, driving car until the previous owner died in 1993. Unfortunately the owner's family left the car outside in Massachusetts weather until last year. Last year, the guy who last worked on the car for the previous owner bought it to save it. I bought it from him recently and am going to try to save it. The drivetrain is in relatively good shape but the body is a bit of a disaster from the decades of weather exposure. Yesterday I bought a battery. Today I hooked up the battery and a temporary gas tank. I started her up and drove her up and down the driveway a bit today. I got all of the doors opened up and pulled the seats out of her and used a shop vac  to clean about 4 or 5 more gallons of dust, rust, dirt, mouse nests and other debris from the interior. I used a garden hose to wash out the interior and left it out in the sun to dry out. It ran well until it ran long enough to empty my small temporary gas tank. After a quick refill, I let it run some more. While I don't have any good photos from today attached is a video showing the engine running. The idle is set high on purpose to be able to drive it because the accelerator linkage is currently missing. It starts from the carburetor linkage and even the horns work on the car.  It has good oil pressure and the temperature gauge shows a steady 180 degrees.  

VID_20170819_092654348.mp4

• Like 10

I drove the '15 truck to downtown Flint for the Back to the Bricks car show.  The show took up all of downtown Flint and then some.

The picture is of our truck in front of the GM Factory One today with other Buicks from the Buick club.

Here is the website for the building.  http://www.gmfactoryone.com/product/public/us/en/factory-one/home.html

'15 truck in front of Factory One Back to the Bricks 2017.jpeg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I put about 170 miles on the Skylark yesterday between a trip to PA for a clambake at a friend's place in the Poconos, and a cruise-in at a local restaurant here in Sussex County that has the event every Saturday night during the summer. My only disappointment was that by the time I got to the cruise-in the parking lot where the classics are displayed was full, so I had to park in the adjacent field among the great unwashed. Otherwise, it was a fun day.

• Like 4

I never got the chance to finish the story about our tour. We drove about another 150+ miles in the '56 Roadmaster and got home a bit late after the wrap up dinner, then were off looking a houses first thing Friday morning! We are planning to move at some point in the next year. Glenda has retired, and we would like to get a nice place with lots of parking out of the city.

I took a few pictures of our Thurs adventures, but they are still on my camera. We drove the '56 about 5-600 miles over the three days, and as usual, it ran perfect. It really is a great old Buick!

Today I had the '41 Roadmaster out for a short cruise to a local coffee shop for a cuppa, and a lunch snack. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get it out again later today, but now back to some work!

Keith

• Like 4

Our Western New York Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club had an ice cream social today in Williamsville New York. That is about a 120 mile round trip for me. I'm still hunting for my Caddy, but showing up with a Buick is OK too, even Pontiacs are welcomed. Last year I took my '60 Electra.

Now, this ride is no small undertaking and the pioneers have nothing on me. After leaving my town I crossed the muckland. That's the wet remains of the glacial Lake Tonawanda. Exiting the Muck I crossed the headwaters of the Oak Orchard River that drains the boggy areas of the remaining low spots. From there it is passage through Indian country, the Seneca reservation. Then the remainer I followed RT 5 the old cattle trail in the 1800's.

Well, I was lucky to do most of it at 60 MPH, top down, and sucking up sunshine.

Some people just drive that route and never know the adventure they are taking.

001.thumb.JPG.c41dfdd452c921050a86a98b347eb3c0.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I understand Keith! I wasn't liking it myself thank you.

The tire blew out doing about 45 mph on a very gentle curve and fortunately traffic was exceptionally light. It never shredded so no damage was done to the car fender but I just might have to send that front seat blanket I have in to be cleaned! :blink:

Looks like I will be asking Santa for a new set of tires for Xmas.

• Like 2

Racked up 324 miles on the Happy car ( the GS) Sunday, traveling to the Yankee Chapter show.  I did not take many photos of the trip or at the show either.  I have documented the trip several years so it's old news.  But I did get this one photo on the way over in the AM

599acd19a6763_DSC07540(1).thumb.JPG.1176f93a9a19007a2c7152e3f7f96c55.JPG

No, there are no mountains high enough in this area to be snow covered peaks.  Luckily the show was way south of the Vermont Green Mountains!

Turns out I never even got a picture of my own car at the show site, but here are a few others:

Here is the class winner and Dealership award winner ( Sorry for the fuzzy photo)  But I never saw a battery hold down like that!

DSC07554.thumb.JPG.d7413a609836fa3852466df243960266.JPG

DSC07562.thumb.JPG.f253ad4016fd45f64c2bfe26cfc14446.JPG

And, here is Philip Roitman with his ( practically) NEW Electra!  This car is gorgeous!

DSC07574.thumb.JPG.179c4b6edad90363e4dd75c9172d33d1.JPG

And the rest:

DSC07541.JPG

DSC07545.JPG

DSC07546.JPG

DSC07560.JPG

DSC07570.JPG

DSC07571.JPG

DSC07577.JPG

DSC07578.JPG

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Racked up 324 miles on the Happy car ( the GS) Sunday, traveling to the Yankee Chapter show.  I did not take many photos of the trip or at the show either.  I have documented the trip several years so it's old news.  But I did get this one photo on the way over in the AM

599acd19a6763_DSC07540(1).thumb.JPG.1176f93a9a19007a2c7152e3f7f96c55.JPG

No, there are no mountains high enough in this area to be snow covered peaks.  Luckily the show was way south of the Vermont Green Mountains!

Turns out I never even got a picture of my own car at the show site, but here are a few others:

Here is the class winner and Dealership award winner ( Sorry for the fuzzy photo)  But I never saw a battery hold down like that!

DSC07554.thumb.JPG.d7413a609836fa3852466df243960266.JPG

DSC07562.thumb.JPG.f253ad4016fd45f64c2bfe26cfc14446.JPG

And, here is Philip Roitman with his ( practically) NEW Electra!  This car is gorgeous!

DSC07574.thumb.JPG.179c4b6edad90363e4dd75c9172d33d1.JPG

And the rest:

DSC07541.JPG

DSC07545.JPG

DSC07546.JPG

DSC07560.JPG

DSC07570.JPG

DSC07571.JPG

DSC07577.JPG

DSC07578.JPG

It was a really nice show John and I did not expect to win my class with the car. Beautiful cars all around. It was a pleasure to finally meet you. I took a ride with the wife in the car Saturday to do some touring, shopping, etc.in CT. Sunday was free so, I followed another member back to Ct. to the show and the car drove great. It was good to hang with friends old and new. It was around 120 miles roundtrip to the show. Here are some pictures. P.S. Look at the kids face in John G's Buick dragster with the engine running! This is what the Bugle article was all about.

IMG_7888.JPG

IMG_7913.JPG

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7932.JPG

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7942.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7948.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7962.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7969.JPG

fullsizeoutput_5015.jpeg

• Like 10

Well, yesterday I took my Electra up to the other end of town for coffee with the old farts. Around noon I got the brilliant idea to get before and during eclipse shots of the car. What a plan!

So I pulled it onto the grass in a good spot.

001.thumb.JPG.fdab40d501d6618b6d8cf2fb23599cc1.JPG

And waited for the darkness to descend while I watched from the porch.

003.thumb.JPG.adab85247e2052b4210c31ada4a96c63.JPG

About all I saw was a shift in the starburst shine in the roof rail trim. Too far north. But I did remember I needed gas for the mower.

Bernie

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I had the '56 Roadmaster out to the local Wed cruise night. A nice evening, but it got quite chilly as the sun started to go down.

There was a '27 McLaughlin Buick, a local car for many years, that has rarely been seen in recent years, but it seems to be for sale now, though I didn't have a chance to speak with anyone about it. Also, one of my favourite cars, a V12 E type Jag, a '74 model, which was equipted with an automatic transmission, finished in a nice shade burgundy, and quite close to my '41, but just a bit lighter. A very striking combination, and though the interior looked original, and still in good shape, the paint work was absolutely stunning, and the Jag 12 nicely was detailed. One familiar underhood item was the GM A/C compressor.

Keith

AugCruise1.jpg

CruiseAug2.jpg

CruiseAug3.jpg

CruiseAug4.jpg

CruiseAug5.jpg

CruiseAug6.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Today we drove the '41 Roadmaster to the town of Bancroft, Ont., about 3 1/2 hours from home. This is an interesting part of the province, lots of hills and scenic views. We drove 190 miles to the motel and then we will be touring tomorrow and part of Sun.

Also, this is the first time our 17 year old son is home alone. I think that he is looking forward to a bit of independence, though his big sister will be in tomorrow to check up on him!

Keith

41BuickBancroft1.jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Also, this is the first time our 17 year old son is home alone. I think that he is looking forward to a bit of independence, though his big sister will be in tomorrow to check up on him!

Wishing you nothing but happy travels on your tour Keith. 

I don't know about big sister brother relationships but do know about big brother and brother ones. Again wish you (them) the best and find things in order when you get home. :)

It took 15 years before my boys started sharing some interesting stories with us and we had no idea. <_<

Come to think of it, I guess I shared some stories with my Dad after some time too. 

Forget what I said above..... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My kids get along together, and there are always things that might go on that you don't want to tell Mom or Dad about. My daughter is the kind of person that can't keep things to herself very well, but my son is another story. He'd be the one to keep things to himself for years and years, but he is an honest guy. I try to see my children realistically, I know I wasn't perfect, so I don't expect them to be either.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. We drove just under 80 miles on the tour today, as there are many cars that are pre 1920, and can't travel as fast, so this was a "travel at your own pace" day. We drove through some great roads, two lane blacktop, a bit of gravel, and only in sections where there was road work going on. This is a very hilly part of the province, with lots of granite outcrops and road cut through them. Very fitting for the era of cars we're driving.

The only other Buick was a 1916 McLaughlin(Buick), a six cylinder car. Personally I had never seen this car before, but the gent had it on the road since about 1987. This was the era when McLaughlin bought the running gear from Buick, but built their own bodies, similar to Buicks, but there were a number of differences. Quite a number of other cars too, the next newest was a '39 Chev.

Here's a few pictures a couple through the windshield of our '41, and the other of the '16 McLaughlin.

Keith

Tour16McL.jpg

TourWind1.jpg

TourWind2.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I took my '60 to the town a mile north of me and had coffee with a KB International owner this morning.  I rode the mower, trimmed some wildness in back, and wondered "what can I do that is easy?".

Brain fart! All the Buicks basked in the sun while temperatures soared into the high 60's. At least they got started and moved.

"I" did some buffing without bending over, just my style.

018.thumb.JPG.858902ec83dc8b76e781466ee57a1588.JPG

Brand X, but the Buicks got driven a little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

My kids get along together, and there are always things that might go on that you don't want to tell Mom or Dad about. My daughter is the kind of person that can't keep things to herself very well, but my son is another story. He'd be the one to keep things to himself for years and years, but he is an honest guy. I try to see my children realistically, I know I wasn't perfect, so I don't expect them to be either.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. We drove just under 80 miles on the tour today, as there are many cars that are pre 1920, and can't travel as fast, so this was a "travel at your own pace" day. We drove through some great roads, two lane blacktop, a bit of gravel, and only in sections where there was road work going on. This is a very hilly part of the province, with lots of granite outcrops and road cut through them. Very fitting for the era of cars we're driving.

The only other Buick was a 1916 McLaughlin(Buick), a six cylinder car. Personally I had never seen this car before, but the gent had it on the road since about 1987. This was the era when McLaughlin bought the running gear from Buick, but built their own bodies, similar to Buicks, but there were a number of differences. Quite a number of other cars too, the next newest was a '39 Chev.

Here's a few pictures a couple through the windshield of our '41, and the other of the '16 McLaughlin.

Keith

Tour16McL.jpg

TourWind1.jpg

TourWind2.jpg

I'm probably going to hear from a lot of you, but taking a picture while you're driving is no different than some teenager texting while they're driving. ? Give that camera to a passenger or pull off the road to take those pictures!

• Like 1

Its totally different with a point and click camera.  I'll point the camera in the general direction and snap a few pictures. Later ill look and see if I like any of them. Its not like I'm looking through a view finder or even at an LCD screen. Just point,click, and hope for the best.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

Who is to say that I took the pictures? I had passengers in the car at the time to do the dirty work! Please don't assume that I'm breaking the laws of the land.

Keith

I apologize. I didn't realize that your car was right hand drive and the passenger who took the pictures was sitting on the left side of the car. 

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

I apologize. I didn't realize that your car was right hand drive and the passenger who took the pictures was sitting on the left side of the car. 

The picture of course was taken from the left side of the car, at about my shoulder, but not by me, then cropped and moved about a bit to get rid of the extra so it looks good.

Distracted driving is a serious matter here in Ontario, which I try hard to avoid doing.

Keith

• Like 3

It was a little bittersweet today as I drove the Electra out to the country. Aside from some shuffling around, she is probably done for the season. There's just too many driving or nearly driving here in the city and I need to be able to house them. Aside from a lack of functioning AC, I really do like driving that car. 

I'm not sure it counts, but we also moved the 1962. Put some air in the tires and pushed it to one side of the garage after tidying up. The garage is big enough that I should now be able to drive the Skyhawk in when the time comes. 

• Like 6

Finally have time to sit down and do a post. Last Wednesday I went to Bear Mountain again with the Electra. Thursday was a Ct. Cafe Racers lunch in Norwalk Ct. again with the Electra. Saturday and Sunday was racing the 73 GS 455 in the SuperCar (Stock Tire) class at the NE Mopar Nats at EnglishTown NJ. Plus on Sunday my friends with the NE GS/GN Club came to EnglishTown to run in the MOPARS Vs. the World race. I wont post too many pictures this time! ;-) All in all a good car week.

IMG_8001.JPG

IMG_7999.JPG

IMG_8009.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8013.JPG

IMG_8014.JPG

IMG_8015.JPG

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

IMG_8018.JPG