JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

There was a big car show here today but I ignored it. I figured the pace car had seen enough miles for the year and will be needing the garage space in the city so I drove it out to the country. There Luke and I pulled the truck out and hooked up the trailer for an adventure to get the next addition (photos are on the computer that is presently acting up so it will be another post tomorrow). 

The the end count is that I drove one Buick, pushed and pulled another, and saw almost all of my Buicks (three project cars are in another building I didn't enter today) today. 

• Like 1

Took my wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson to Sno Top yesterday for ice cream and then stopped to the swan pond to see the ducks.  The local Model A club hosted their car show in Wampsville yesterday so we saw several 50's and 60's cars traveling on Rt. 5.  Also, a nice 1924 Packard convertible pulled in as we were eating our ice cream!

• Like 1

Took 'Roger the Roadmaster' to church rummage sale Saturday. (Put lots of finds in the trunk!)

:o

• Like 1

We took the '69 Electra out to visit my daughter on Sunday, and did some other driving around for a total of over 200 miles. It ran great the whole day.

At a corner, there was a small shop with a few cars parked out front. A Cadillac Allante, and a slightly modified '53 Buick. Shaved door handles, white and gold paint, and an interesting custom mod to the steering wheel and spinner.

Dual exhaust out of the back, so it was sporting some kind a V8, but there was no one there. By the look of the dash, I'm thinking that it was a Special, but all the badging had been removed.

Keith

Buick53Mod1.jpg

Buick53Mod2.jpg

Keith Electra.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/wtkern/sets/72157673672462015/

Larry Schramm and I ran the Dearborn to Lansing to Dearborn One and Two Cylinder Run on Thursday and Friday of last week as a 'modern' support vehicle in my 1923 Buick. ~240 miles.  Fun to work on some of the really early cars and to help and meet some really fine people.  My Buick's entire back seat was loaded with tools, floor jack, jack stands, compressor, extra battery, gallons of fluids, luggage, etc..  Name something useful, we had it onboard (tow strap being #1).

If you like early brass cars, lots of nice pictures in the attached link including a few (4?) Buicks (3 F's for certain).  We never saw some of the cars, I saw them for the first time in the link, as we were helping those needing assistance and tail-end-Charlie and the well running cars were well ahead.  No Buicks had their hood up.  Thursday was wet and some of these cars have no top, windscreen, doors or fenders or lights or some missing combination.

Also drove my Buick 130 miles round trip from Fenton, MI on Sunday to attend the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village (The Henry Ford), this time in the sunshine.

• Like 3

I am not sure if this would be the right place, but my lovely wife, Glenda, picked up a new Buick Envision tonight! A fully loaded model with more stuff than we'll ever need, or want.

Keith

Glenda'sBuick.jpg

GlendaMeEnvisionSml.jpg

• Like 5

Just think -- in only 15 or 20 years it'll start to get that lovely 'old car smell'!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My dealer has (had) one here in Saffron Red. It looked a lot more orange than your photos. Nice but I have t won the lottery yet. 

Edited by Thriller
Typo (see edit history)

Last weekend our nephew's wedding took place on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Cape Cod. Nantucket is a story in itself, and since this trip required a 2 night overnight in the parking lot, we took the Regal GS.  As a 2013, I'm not sure it's an old Buick consistent with this thread, but at this point it is an old Buick what with the 2017's arriving at the dealerships, so I'm just throwing this out there in case anyone is interested.

When we got back to Cape Cod from the wedding, we decided to run a loop around the Cape.  We drove to Chatham MA via Rt 28, which was too busy for any picture taking.  But there are numerous small towns and lots of quaint homes.  We also saw some obviously older homes which have survived the elements of time and salty weather and reeked of early American history.

At Chatham we went to the Coast Guard light house.   There is a public beach at this point and I was hoping we could get close to the water.

DSC03936.JPG

But close or not, it was a beautiful spot.  Not much free parking, but there may have been more of that around that I missed.

DSC03935.JPG

We decided not to walk down as Linda wasn't feeling well. There was an information board at this point which indicated the Pilgrims actually arrived in America at this spot. But they were anticipating landing at the Hudson River.  So they turned south, only to encounter a fierce storm and a natural rock jetty.  Thereupon, they turned north and went around the point of the Cape seeking shelter on the area now known as Princetown.  5 weeks after docking at Princetown they set sail west again and landed at Plymouth Rock.

After Chatham we drove north to Orleans, via the road closest to the water.  The houses along the water in this area are beyond imagination.  Why anyone needs palaces like that is anyone else's guess. Chances are they would pass by my house and ask themselves; why does this jackass needs 5 Buicks.  But, whatever the reason, the area is still, beautiful, and imaginative, and desirable.  But I did not get any pictures.

In Orleans we turned west and drove back via Rt 6A.  This area is also full of large newer houses and small towns, which make for a nice drive.  All this took about 4 hours and we stopped for a great dinner just before getting off the Cape.  I'd recommend this road trip if you have a day to spend in leisure.

Since we were so close, we went to see Plymouth Rock.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have always wanted to see the landing spot of the Pilgrims. 

Upon arrival we saw this:

DSC03969.JPG

And I thought, Wow!  What a structure!  This must be a great display for a big rock.  And the Rock is big.

DSC03943.JPG

But I was immediately struck with the thought that this cannot be what the Pilgrims saw upon arrival.

And, as usual, the information board tells much more of the story than I'd ever bothered to research.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Here is the information board in several pictures.

Plymouth Rock0001.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0002.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0003.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0004.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0005.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0006.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0007.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0008.JPG

So, there you have it.  The basis of American History is the recall of a 95 year old elder, who could not have been alive during the time of the event he recalled! 

Still, you have to start somewhere.  Just ask Jackofalltrades70 about that concept!

• Like 3

Anyhow, we stayed overnight in Sturbridge MA on the return trip, and had a nice leisurely drive home the next day. I did not record the total miles driven, but it was several hundred.  The Regal ran great!  It also received several compliments, which always makes me feel like I got the right car, and which, by the way , is why this jackass has 5 Buicks.  LOL.  Also I only had to fill up once enroute, and once when we got home, which was about the only economical part of this entire little adventure!  :rolleyes:

Here are a few more random pics from Plymouth rock

DSC03946.JPG

DSC03954.JPG

• Like 1

Doesn't the Mayflower still look good for being almost 400 years old!!  Actually, the original returned to England only to be scrapped according to my 10th grade History teacher (1965). 

• Like 1

Typically less expensive when it isn't your own child at least....

And we all know the Plymouth was Walter P. Chrysler's doing and that he got his start at Buick in Flint.

So, it all makes sense now.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just got home from a day tour through some more of the scenic byways East of Toronto. They would of been more scenic had it not been raining! We drove the Electra about 150 miles or so today. This brings the total mileage I've put on it to nearly 2,000. Of course it missed Allentown due to sickness, or else it would of been quite a bit more.

Keith

• Like 1

Went to the South-Central Regional fall meet in Burnet TX today and drove my 1991 Reatta.   I do not know the official numbers but we I counted 9 Buicks and one '67 Toronado.

Our meets have a light attendance as it is always a long drive to get to anything in Texas.   While attendance was small, we had some very important and well know Buick people there.

Pete Phillips was there with his 48 sedanette, Willie Pittman with his 55 Century 4 dr HT,  former Board member Jerry Courson '55 HT, South-Central Regional directors Willis Bell and Mike Middleton,

and Ben (regular poster here) came down from Wichita Falls TX.  Oldest Buick was a '33 4 dr model 50.

• Like 3

We drove the Riviera down to Ottawa, KS yesterday to attend the Ol' Marais River Run.  Well over 1,500 cars.  As Linda said  " lots of testosterone here."  Restored, modified, hot rod, muscle car, rat rod.  You name it; it was there. This video is from last year's event, but it's neat the way the residents and merchants welcome the car guys for the weekend's festivities.  

Edited by RivNut
I hate predictive text!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Final count: 2,004 cars registered.  Who knows how many, like myself, just drove down to look around.

I drove my unrestored '48 Super about 250 miles each way to the S. Central Regional Buick meet in Burnet, Texas. In Texas, a regional meet consists of nine (count 'em) Buicks--very sad numbers, but a nice meet nonetheless. It was in front of a hanger at the Burnet Airport, which houses a restored C-47 from World War Two. On the way home, Sunday morning, I stopped in deserted downtown Hico (pronounced "high-co"), Texas which is full of old, historic structures that have barely changed in 100 years. I could not resist parking the '48 in front of some of them for a few photos.

IMGP1111.JPG

IMGP1139.JPG

IMGP1153.JPG

• Like 10

Ok Pete and Ed the wheatland chapter is trying to get the chapter going again and we are doing a show on October 8 2016. You guys are invited as my guest. The guys Don and Matt are doing a great job along with our great leader Tom Sparkman. The show will be held at Scholfield Buick in Wichtia Kansas. Cant say how many cars will be in attendance but the Chapter has be rather quiet for the past 10 years go I think it will be a good start. It would be good to have you guys. Questions give me a call.

Thanks \

Chuck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

We drove the Riviera down to Ottawa, KS yesterday to attend the Ol' Marais River Run.  Well over 1,500 cars.  As Linda said  " lots of testosterone here."  Restored, modified, hot rod, muscle car, rat rod.  You name it; it was there. This video is from last year's event, but it's neat the way the residents and merchants welcome the car guys for the weekend's festivities.  

"We drove the Riviera" is an interesting statement from a man with four Rivieras in his signature....

• Like 1