I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo"

Right you are!  With my favorite actor of all time

and another Buick

image.jpeg

A true American heroe 

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/a-wonderful-life-jimmy-stewart-actor-and-b-24-bomber-pilot/

and Jimmy with the B-24 Liberator powered by Pratt & Whitney Wasp engines built by Buick!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Right you are!  With my favorite actor of all time

and another Buick

image.jpeg

A true American heroe 

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/a-wonderful-life-jimmy-stewart-actor-and-b-24-bomber-pilot/

and Jimmy with the B-24 Liberator powered by Pratt & Whitney Wasp engines built by Buick!

image.jpeg

Jimmy who?  I only have eyes for Kim Novak.  She's been on my radar since the movie Picnic was filmed in my old stomping grounds in central Kansas.  The Kansas town in Picnic was Salison, a combination of Salina And Hutchinson.  The swimming scenes were filmed in Sterling, and the Neewollah (Halloween backwards) event was filmed in Halstead and Harvey County Park. Watch Kim Novak  and William Holden dance on the pier.  Pretty sensual. ? 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Silly me , just rexamined Cuba photo , before someone corrected me.

Although what appeared at first to be a small red convertible , which I thought was a Morris minor , it is in fact a lovely American 40s convertible , even more  collectible and I know which I'd prefer.

Cheers

pilgrim

What's going on in this one?  Looks like one '54 parked next to another.  A good case-study of the differences between the big-series and the smaller in the shape of the trunk area and position of the reverse lights.  The reviews of the day found the bigger cars to be a bit bloated looking, but on the hard-top as seen here, I love the look.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 11:25 AM, JZRIV said:

Wonder if person taking first pic is a guy. 

attachment38.jpg

Just imagine who the photographer was. Probably the same type of husband who would take a picture like this.

002.thumb.jpg.c1d2d5e8cf7c12c8da00df4e4498b603.jpg

Loading groceries, changing tires; picking the right wife is important.

Bernie

001.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

I'm guessing the Mackinac Bridge??  Really stretching on this guess.

Good guess. I found the same picture with comments about "beach supervisors" but can't get my tablet to go to the original link or I'd post it. Started in 1954 and finished in 1957. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kgreen said:

I'm guessing the Mackinac Bridge??  Really stretching on this guess.

Good guess. I found the same picture with comments about "beach supervisors" but can't get Mt tablet to go to the original link or I'd post it. Started in 1954 and finished in 1957. 

1 hour ago, WQ59B said:

60 Buick Daytona.jpg

Here's the story that goes with the picture,

Buick took a modified Invicta to Day­tona International Speedway in January 1960 for a high-speed endurance run. The two-door hardtop was essentially stock, except for a 200-gallon pressure fuel tank in place of the rear seat.

How­ever, turning laps in the neighborhood of 130 mph made fuel consumption a problem with the big tank. The solution was to set up another Invicta as a mobile gas station to feed the test car on the run through a boom inspired by the method used to refuel military jets on long missions.

Seven drivers, led by NASCAR great Glenn "Fireball" Roberts, drove 10,000 miles in less than 5,000 minutes, aver­aging 120.186 mph for the run. Unfor­tunately, the 1957 Automobile Man­u­­facturers' Association agreement to not publicize performance denied Buick the opportunity to brag. The only publicity the run received came from Tom McCahill inMechanix Illustrated.

• Like 5

^ There is a 2-part youtube film of the event --an outstanding watch IMO; just loved it: that unmuffled 401 thundering around & around-- and they show a very small blue cylindrical tank in the trunk. Each refueling on the run was 15 gallons (took 6 seconds), and refuels occurred every 30 mins (about 4 MPG by the math). However, it looks like they were feeding the same under-trunk tank if they were going thru the license plate area. An in-depth engineering look at this car and the prep & engineering work would be fascinating- I wonder what became of the test car?

EDIT :: ANY fan of Buick Motor Division should do themselves a real favor and watch the 1960 Buick Daytona test :

Edited by WQ59B (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Williams Buick GMC of Charlotte, NC is the oldest Buick dealer in the Carolinas and has proudly served customers for 75 years.  Today, we are the premier Buick GMC dealer in the Charlotte metro area.  Read below to learn more about our company history! 

Mr. Lee Folger founded the company on October 1, 1937.  He was awarded an exclusive Buick franchise for the city of Charlotte, and the General Motors Holding Corporation was the co-investor.  The total amount in captial paid was $30,000.  

On August 19, 1938, the Pontiac franchise was was added so Lee A. Folger, Inc. became the exclusive Buick-Pontiac dealer in the Charlotte, NC area.  On this date, the dealership was moved from the 500 block of South Tryon Street to 318 West Fifth Street, the location of the former Pontiac dealer.

On August 16, 1939, Lee A. Folger, Inc. bought out General Motors Holding Corporation's stake in the company and cancelled the Pontiac franchise at the same time, making the company an exclusive Buick dealer once more.

On June 1, 1941, the company moved to 900 South Tryon Street in a new building constructed specifically for its use.

On January 16, 1960, Mr. Lee A. Folger passed away and on March 14, 1960, Mr. Spencer A. Folger was approved as the dealer by Buick Motor Division.

http://www.williamsbuickgmc.com/

On September 1, 1970, the company moved to a new facility at 5701 East Independence Boulevard in Charlotte, NC.

On April 11, 1992, Mr. Spencer A. Folger passed away and on November 12, 1992, C.E. Williams, Jr. was approved as the Dealer Principal by Buick Motor Division.  Subsequently, C.E. Williams III was appointed Vice President and General Manager, and D. Glenn Moore was appointed as Secretary-Treasurer. 

On May 30, 1993, Clarence E. Williams passed away.  Mr. Williams had served Folger's since June 1, 1939 as a stockholder and Secretary-Treasurer.

In December 1998, Folger Automotive expanded by purchasing the only other Buick franchise in Charlotte.  The facility was located at 400 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, NC. 

In 2006, the Folger Automotive Group bought the building and property at 7725 South Blvd. in Charlotte.  After General Motors restructured financially, the Folger Automotive Group was given the GMC franchise along with existing Buick one, and these franchises temporarily relocated to the current Folger Kia location, 7725 South Blvd. in 2010. 

In September, 2012, the name of the Buick GMC dealership was changed to Williams Buick GMC and opened a brand new facility at 8201 South Blvd.   
Ward Williams is the owner of Williams Buick GMC and Folger Automotive Group.

Buick 33.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kgreen said:

Williams Buick GMC of Charlotte, NC is the oldest Buick dealer in the Carolinas and has proudly served customers for 75 years.  Today, we are the premier Buick GMC dealer in the Charlotte metro area.  Read below to learn more about our company history! 

Mr. Lee Folger founded the company on October 1, 1937.  He was awarded an exclusive Buick franchise for the city of Charlotte, and the General Motors Holding Corporation was the co-investor.  The total amount in captial paid was $30,000.  

On August 19, 1938, the Pontiac franchise was was added so Lee A. Folger, Inc. became the exclusive Buick-Pontiac dealer in the Charlotte, NC area.  On this date, the dealership was moved from the 500 block of South Tryon Street to 318 West Fifth Street, the location of the former Pontiac dealer.

On August 16, 1939, Lee A. Folger, Inc. bought out General Motors Holding Corporation's stake in the company and cancelled the Pontiac franchise at the same time, making the company an exclusive Buick dealer once more.

On June 1, 1941, the company moved to 900 South Tryon Street in a new building constructed specifically for its use.

On January 16, 1960, Mr. Lee A. Folger passed away and on March 14, 1960, Mr. Spencer A. Folger was approved as the dealer by Buick Motor Division.

http://www.williamsbuickgmc.com/

On September 1, 1970, the company moved to a new facility at 5701 East Independence Boulevard in Charlotte, NC.

On April 11, 1992, Mr. Spencer A. Folger passed away and on November 12, 1992, C.E. Williams, Jr. was approved as the Dealer Principal by Buick Motor Division.  Subsequently, C.E. Williams III was appointed Vice President and General Manager, and D. Glenn Moore was appointed as Secretary-Treasurer. 

On May 30, 1993, Clarence E. Williams passed away.  Mr. Williams had served Folger's since June 1, 1939 as a stockholder and Secretary-Treasurer.

In December 1998, Folger Automotive expanded by purchasing the only other Buick franchise in Charlotte.  The facility was located at 400 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, NC. 

In 2006, the Folger Automotive Group bought the building and property at 7725 South Blvd. in Charlotte.  After General Motors restructured financially, the Folger Automotive Group was given the GMC franchise along with existing Buick one, and these franchises temporarily relocated to the current Folger Kia location, 7725 South Blvd. in 2010. 

In September, 2012, the name of the Buick GMC dealership was changed to Williams Buick GMC and opened a brand new facility at 8201 South Blvd.   
Ward Williams is the owner of Williams Buick GMC and Folger Automotive Group.

Buick 33.jpg

Great post Ken, thanks for sharing

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kgreen said:

Buick 33.jpg

Interesting side note, the other Buick dealer that was purchased...the selling family are current BCA members...

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 5