I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, the spokes (with base) bolts on with the lug bolts then a center cap is snapped into the wire spokes.

I think those were the simulated wire wheel covers, could have been standard on the Roadmaster in 53 but not sure. Wished they had carried them over into 54

2 hours ago, Elpad said:

I think those were the simulated wire wheel covers, could have been standard on the Roadmaster in 53 but not sure. Wished they had carried them over into 54

I was making reference to the same cover.  I just didn't express myself all that clearly.

Perhaps this picture of the wire part will help.  Then a cap with the Buick emblem would go over the opening in the center.  I'm not sure this is a Buick cover but the idea is there.

Image result for 1953 buick wire wheel cover

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

I was making reference to the same cover.  I just didn't express myself all that clearly.

Perhaps this picture of the wire part will help.  Then a cap with the Buick emblem would go over the opening in the center.  I'm not sure this is a Buick cover but the idea is there.

Image result for 1953 buick wire wheel cover

Got you 

thanks

13 hours ago, Elpad said:

They do look good on a 54 if you are willing to ignore the not quite correct aspect of it.

LL54Buick_1.JPG

• Like 4

Those wire wheel covers were supplied to GM and others by Lyons.

I had a set on my '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk that were factory options like this:

V1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-Paul-Commara

Here is an article showing the connection with GM:

http://www.classiccarstodayonline.com/2013/03/03/a-look-back-at-simulated-wire-wheel-covers-part-1-the-1950s/

They are kind of clunky looking.

Around that time rumors circulated that real wire wheels could be dangerous, more of those old time cracker barrel mechanics. In 1965 I bought a 1956 Packard Caribbean convertible. The owner told me he was concerned about the wire wheels and parked it out by a hedge row behind his house. Some kids came by and broke all the windows. I don't think I had much more than the towing into it, but that is the kind of thing that happens when stories float around and scare people.

BTW, a 10 year old car in 1965, no matter what it was, didn't bring a lot of money if it had some major damage.

Bernie

• Like 2