Sad news this morning, Harold Coker has passed

MrEarl

Received news this morning from his brother Bob, that Harold Coker fell and broke his hip yesterday and passed away this morning. The antique auto world has lost one helluva great member. His contributions were many. http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/27397363/business-political-leader-harold-coker-dies-at-84

https://www.google.com/search?q=harold+coker+car+collection&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&biw=1024&bih=615&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=H-xoVN-tOs6gyATws4KQCQ&ved=0CCgQ7Ak

http://blog.cokertire.com/glidden-tour-chattanooga/

Harlold taking care of his lil brother Bob (aka progoofoff here on the forum)

post-31987-143142832362_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142832378_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142832388_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

A truly great gentleman, full of love for this hobby, his wife and his family. Harold's loss is significant. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of getting to know Harold, take a 1/2 hour of your life and listen to this You Tube speech by him from last year's AACA Annual Meeting. It is full of love, laughter and inspiration which all describes our former AACA President to a T.

The old car world has lost a GREAT man, I always enjoyed talking with him and just exchanged emails with him on Friday, hard to believe he's gone. My condolences to Lil, Corky and his family.

Visitation will be at Chattanooga Funeral Home East, 404 S. Moore Road, on Tuesday from 3-7:30 p.m. The family will have a private graveside service.

The public is invited to a Celebration of Life service on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Woodland Park Baptist Church, 7501 Standifer Gap Road.

More info here: http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/11/16/288659/Business-Political-Leader-Harold-Coker.aspx

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

Harold has been a true friend to me and certainly to our hobby. He has been an example of what could be accomplished. He and Lill exemplify true decency and will both be in our hearts and prayers. Our condolences to Lill, Corky, Casey and Greg, Bob, and all the Coker family.

post-54863-143142832748_thumb.jpg

Guest AlCapone

My thoughts of sympathy to his family. May his soul rest in peace. He was a kind, generous man that gave much to our hobby. He will truly be missed. Wayne

A true pillar of the hobby for many years. This is a photo from the early 1960's of Harold with two of his cars. In those days all he could afford were Fords, but even then his Fords were only the best.

post-36901-143142833105_thumb.jpg

A big loss to the hobby.

Don

One of the greats - lets make sure we appreciate and learn as much as we can from these hobby icons - they can't be replaced!

Several years ago, I met Herold and Lill while standing in line for lunch at the Bakersfield Swap Meet. It was a pleasure to meet both of them.

Herold was a true southern gentleman & will be greatly missed.

My sincere condolences go out especially to Lill and the entire Coker family.

Met Harold 11 years ago at the Chickasha swap meet. My early-20s son sat down next to him in their booth at the end of the day and they talked for a half-hour as they watched Corky tidying things up. My son thoroughly enjoyed meeting and visiting with him. The Coker family's car collection has long been legendary, and I finally got the opportunity to see it last year while on the Glidden Tour in Chattanooga. We toured Harold's personal collection as well as the tire company's musuem, and Harold and Corky were both great hosts. Our hobby has had some wonderful ambassadors, and Harold ranks among the finest. He will be missed and fondly remembered.

A really warm and engaging, true "gentleman", the kind one doesn't see too often today. He also had a great sense of humor and never appeared to be too much in a hurry, (even if he was) to take time out to say "hello", chat and make one feel important. A great host as well. And a great conservative that loved his country dearly. He will be missed. John Rendemonti

Very sad news, he did a lot of great things for this hobby of ours, condolances to his family and friends. Back in the days of grass covered fields at Hershey the Coker tents were just up the hill from us, and it was one of the years we had rain. My favorite memory of Harold Coker is seeing him riding shotgun in a MERCER Raceabout with a smile from ear to ear as it raced down the isle spewing clods of mud everywere. The crowd love it! Bob