New Trend on eBay?

Harold

Several times in the past few weeks I've had people write to me graciously offering to buy my items at far below my opening bid or Buy-It-Now price.  One guy who wrote during an auction wrote again about 3 minutes after the item ended with his same lowball offer 'since it didn't sell'.   Are others noticing an upsurge in this type of behavior?

• Like 1

I think whether you’re open to offers, regardless of where it comes from, is really driven by your motivation for selling. Am I selling it to clear out my shed, as a business to make a profit, etc. but hopefully no matter what your motivation, in the end it will get another car back on the road. 

Ultimately, as I’m sure others will be quick to point out, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of what we think it is worth and a “no sale” is a pretty good indicator that there is something wrong. It could be price, description or just not the right people looking. You need to decide but perhaps that low ball offer is not that bad or perhaps no one actually needs that widget we can’t live without. 

Unfortunately you don’t have to look far to find an earlier conversation here about the way things are priced is affecting the interest in the hobby, be it parts or cars and I think there is a direct link to the “fair” price concept here and rarity of some parts being caused by stockpiling for that rainy day.

However regardless of the sale method as the seller you are in control of when you sell and I don’t think making an offer is a bad thing especially if accompanied with an explanation for the amount offered.

• Like 1

Most of my eBay listings are buy it now and offers are always considered. I find it nice and polite when people ask before posting an official offer on an item. Many items are listed with free postage, depending were the winner lives I some times sell at a loss. Bob 

I have done this in years past, making an offer and found one in ten responsive. I dont take the time any longer to do it, because so many folks have high expectations on price and think they own the motherload.

If I want something, I just bid on it. Also I no longer sell on ebay, as I found it a waste of time. Occasionally Ill list a car, but that is about it.

Owning a 70 deVille convertible, I'm always perusing the 1970 stuff for sale.  There's one eBay seller operating two stores with outrageous prices.  For example, he wants $489 for a $75 clock.  His M.O. is to alternate the same items between his two stores raising the price each time.  The first time he listed this clock was two years ago for $189.00.  That's just one example.  He must have 100 items on eBay.  How in the world is that selling practice supposed to work?  If it didn't sell at $189, why would it sell at $229, $289, $329, and now $429?  So I echo the sentiments of folks who say their part(s) will bring them the mother lode.

A fellow CLC member asked him why his prices were so high.  The guy had a tantrum, reported him to eBay, and the CLC member got a 3 day ban from bidding!  Another CLC member enquired about a 69 or 70 Eldorado he had listed that was astronomically priced at about 2-3x the normal going rate for that car in that condition but had some story about it being special.  I don't remember what the details were.  His response was that before he'd answer any questions, the person would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement with their signature witnessed by his lawyer and then returned before he'd get any answers.

I've had lots of good experiences on eBay buying and selling, but there are some real nut cases on there also.

I've seen items for sale that are fairly priced, but

others are very optimistically priced.  What one seller

disparagingly may think is a "lowball" offer may be

a genuine, sincere offer by someone who will appreciate the item.

Take, for example, car literature of the 1970's.

A large deluxe catalogue (for example, 1970 Buick) might be priced at 

$5 or more, and someone might be happy to buy it for that price.

That same catalogue in perfect condition was 50 cents at the

AACA Library sale a couple of years ago.  If an Ebay seller was

asking an optimistic $10, would he consider $2 a "lowball" offer? 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've seen a new thing on Ebay, an item is listed as an auction (not a buy it now), yet it has "or best offer" tagged.

I was assuming that this meant a buyer would consider a lower offer than his opening bid, not so.  Fellow had a little thing that was listed at an opening bid of $12, I offered $10, he counter-offered $25!  Thus, they are looking for a HIGH offer, not a lower offer, as it is on most buy it now items.

Ebay has gotten silly.  No reason at all to bid during the auction, the last 10 seconds is all that matters.

• Like 2

I've also been doing this for years.  The worst thing that can happen is that the seller says no. I usually wait until the item has been relisted a number of times without selling, figuring that the seller may have finally gotten the message that the starting price is unrealistic.

52 minutes ago, trimacar said:

No reason at all to bid during the auction, the last 10 seconds is all that matters.

Actually, it's the last three seconds.  If you put a bid in at 10 seconds, you will lose.

• Like 1

Just now, pont35cpe said:

Has anyone experienced this? Just within the past month, if I click on a item that I`d been watching after the auction is over, some other item comes up in its place.

Yes, I've noticed that when searching cars for sale on Ebay.

It is very frustrating.  Evidently, Ebay no longer lets you see the

details of an item whose auction is closed.  Instead, they 

show a "comparable" item which you don't want to see, and

which has little relation to the item you wanted.

Is there a way to get around Ebay's new inconvenience,

and actually see a past item?

• Like 1

Yeah, whats with that?  Is it controlled by the seller or is it a new device by EBAY?  I don't understand why the purity of a listing is convoluted by showing some other item after the auction ends.  Also, as per above, I simply do not understand the "Buy It Now" with make an offer.  I have responded to several of these sell auctions with the concept that the seller was willing to listen to other offers.  No such luck!  In this particular case, I think the seller was from China and was attempting some odd concept of marketing.  Finally and sadly, many fellows who have his garage full of spare parts, that could help others, and net him a bit of cash, should really "rethink" his position and take legitimately what he can make as opposed to getting upset because what he thinks he needs to sell his parts for simply does not result in a sell.  He is doing his wife no good service as when he dies, and we all will, she will either give the stuff away or send it to the dumpster.  I am starting to realize that very fact myself, I will not live forever!  EBAY has and is evolving and hope we as hobbiests are also evolving in our expectations.  Maybe the hobby needs to reboot.

• Like 1

I haven't found one yet.  It is very annoying though.  How are people suppose to research what an item is (especially if they want to sell it on their site) if they can't get detailed information about the item that has ended?  

I just price stuff to sell so I don't bother researching it,  but i could see this as having a real negative affect to a newcomer.   Ebay seems all about how to kick their own butt over and over,  but never going back only advancing with decisions made by people who seem to have never used their site. 

I don't think I have ever been asked how a change is working they have implemented as a seller.  My ebay bill every month has been near 900 or more,  so it's not like I'm an occasional seller.  I list 30 to 40 items every night 7 days a week and probably 355 days or more a year. 

Ebay even came out with a new program of guaranteed delivery within so many days. I just got bad feedback because the shipper took 11 days to deliver a package I just shipped within 24 hours of receiving payment.  Their new policy even said they would protect sellers that got shipments right out.  Seems that protection doesn't really exist.

Please someone start a new site to put the squeeze on them a bit.  They need the competition.  

I'm trying to think of one good thing they have changed in the last 5 years?  Buying or selling.

Still coming up blank here.  Can anyone help me out?

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To answer the OP question, I get messages all the time with lowball offers both during and after the auction period. Most are looking to circumvent Ebay rules and make a deal privately. I thank them for their interest, tell them I will not accept offers or sell outside of Ebay, and tell them I would welcome their bid. Since most of my prices are realistic it is surprising how many turn around and bid.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

To answer the OP question, I get messages all the time with lowball offers both during and after the auction period. Most are looking to circumvent Ebay rules and make a deal privately. I thank them for their interest, tell them I will not accept offers or sell outside of Ebay, and tell them I would welcome their bid. Since most of my prices are realistic it is surprising how many turn around and bid.

If the seller and I agree to a price, the seller relists the item with the new price as a Buy It Now.  The sale still goes through ebay and everyone is happy. 

FYI, I'm sure every seller thinks his or her prices are realistic.  When an item doesn't sell after three or four relistings, it's time to reassess that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Most are looking to circumvent Ebay rules and make a deal privately. I thank them for their interest, tell them I will not accept offers or sell outside of Ebay, 

Don, I know that Ebay tries to impose those rules:

No selling outside of their own system!

However, I say:  It's your item, and you can sell it

however you choose.  Ebay is a service--it serves YOU,

not vice versa!

If you are using their service to present your goods they should get remuneration, it's only fair. I wish they had it set up to run 30 seconds after the last bid (going, going, gone) that would stymie snipers and maybe bring higher bids for your product.

29 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

If you are using their service to present your goods they should get remuneration,

Don't they get remuneration when the item gets listed?

I only know that it costs about 90 bucks to list a car. So having paid for that advertising I would have no problem selling to a shopper that followed up on my advertising investment.

Since in my opinion not many cars really sell on that site anyway.

17 hours ago, Harold said:

Several times in the past few weeks I've had people write to me graciously offering to buy my items at far below my opening bid or Buy-It-Now price.  One guy who wrote during an auction wrote again about 3 minutes after the item ended with his same lowball offer 'since it didn't sell'.   Are others noticing an upsurge in this type of behavior?

Yes and it is insulting. A realistic offer is one thing but a "LOW BALL OFFER" is another.

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

Fellow had a little thing that was listed at an opening bid of $12, I offered $10, he counter-offered $25! 

Dave, think about it $2 less.... $12 was too much? As both a seller and a buyer on ebay I understand how the seller feels with the counter offer, and I have done the same. As a seller I must ask if the buyer really needs it, because $2 should not make a difference, if you really needed it.  

• Like 1

Yes, I understand the $2 difference isn't much, but when a listing says "or best offer" then my assumption is the seller might take less.

Plus, I'd still rather have the $2 in my pocket rather than his!

Also eBay contacts sellers and says try again by lowering your price by $2.00 some of the small parts I sell on there the profit is less than $2, how about eBay lower thier selling / listing price by $2, ?? Reminds me of the woman we had as a real estate selling my old house, she kept telling me to drop by listing price by 20 Grand 30 Grand, if I want to sell it I told her why don’t you drop your commission price, she said oh no I can’t do that,,, ,,right!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Yes, I understand the $2 difference isn't much, but when a listing says "or best offer" then my assumption is the seller might take less.

Plus, I'd still rather have the $2 in my pocket rather than his!

My apologies I missed the best offer part. 

I pay Ebay to sell stuff when I feel likes using them. If a seller looks at my item they will find Ebay suggestions under my listing of all the other items at lower prices. And Ebay will send them a notification if they looked at something I had and Ebay "thinks" it found something cheaper.

With all the help Ebay gives them to beat MY prices WHY would they ask me?

I have been, methodically throwing out potential Ebay items. Today was garage pickup in my neighborhood. Didn't like my priced. Look out your window, quick. See the big green truck? Maybe you can catch him.

Bernie

• Like 4

Yeah, whats with that?  Is it controlled by the seller or is it a new device by EBAY?

I believe ebay is attempting to keep buyers at bay from sellers, concerning making a lower offer and cutting the bay out. why else would they do it?????????????????????

What I find funny is, I can sell a car for a million dollars and only pay a commission of 125.

BUT

if I sell a rare pair of e and j headlights for 2000. the commission on that is 10% or 200.

makes no sense. the auctions ALL cost ebay the same amount to set up. I am with auburnseeker- wish somebody would come out with a better medium of competition!

Ebay is downright greedy!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

How are people suppose to research what an item is (especially if they want to sell it on their site) if they can't get detailed information about the item that has ended?  

The way to get to the closed auction you're looking for is to click on the word 'listing' at the top of the screen of the item they want you to see.  That word is in a different color and is a link to the original item that ended.

• Like 3

As usual though, they make a change then make it a mystery how to do things the way we were familiar with,  ultimately I'm sure losing some people along the way until you find the work around.  In today's short attention span  market place,  the last thing you want to do is throw up barriers,  as the people will just take a different route or skip the site entirely. 

I'm sure amazon lost a few customers after Yesterday's Prime Day debacle. 

2 hours ago, Harold said:

The way to get to the closed auction you're looking for is to click on the word 'listing' at the top of the screen of the item they want you to see.  That word is in a different color and is a link to the original item that ended.

Thank you, Harold.  You solved a big frustration--

for me and your fellow forum members!

3 hours ago, Harold said:

Thanks , I have been having the same problem. I get fed up and just exit ebay, I was hoping ebay might be keeping track of such behavior and reconsider the "improvement".

Greg in Canada 

23 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

FYI, I'm sure every seller thinks his or her prices are realistic.  When an item doesn't sell after three or four relistings, it's time to reassess that.

Very true. I do this but am continually amazed at how many sellers don't, leaving their items enshrined forever with buy-it-now prices five times realistic value plus a ridiculously high shipping cost.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Very true. I do this but am continually amazed at how many sellers don't, leaving their items enshrined forever with buy-it-now prices five times realistic value plus a ridiculously high shipping cost.

What I don't get is the sellers who list an item with an unrealistically low starting bid (say $100 for a car that should be worth $10K), a reserve that they won't tell you, and a buy it now at twice what the car is worth. I assume this has something to do with ebay's fee structure (which factors in the starting bid price), but frankly this just wastes everyone's time.  These cars never sell.  Of course, none of the high dollar cars sell on ebay. Just run a "completed auctions" search of your favorite one. Even the ones that do allegedly "sell" often are relisted (with the same ad and same seller) a couple of weeks later.

• Like 2

Joe,

low starting bids get people "involved" in the bidding. All the cars I see that start out at 10k and are only worth 10k, get no bids.

Engagement is the key in a good auction. Hence the low starting bids.

What I find faulty in most cases are the BIN prices. Youve pretty much told everyone what you want for the car and have left no mystery in the bid............

hence they often dont sell.  I would be surprised if the sell through rate is over 55% on cars on ebay.

19 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Joe,

low starting bids get people "involved" in the bidding. All the cars I see that start out at 10k and are only worth 10k, get no bids.

Engagement is the key in a good auction. Hence the low starting bids.

What I find faulty in most cases are the BIN prices. Youve pretty much told everyone what you want for the car and have left no mystery in the bid............

hence they often dont sell.  I would be surprised if the sell through rate is over 55% on cars on ebay.

Starting at $100 when the BIN is $20K tells me that the reserve isn't much lower than $20K, so why waste everyone's time bidding the price up $10 at a time?  The bids will never reach the reserve. 

My admittedly unscientific survey of Oldsmobile 442s on ebay says that the sell through rate is under 10% on cars priced over about $4K.

• Like 2

I firmly believe that 50% of the bids placed on cars are either the owner themselves or someone else they know, and at the least someone who is not interested in actually buying the car.  Too many vehicles appear bid over reserve, therefore apparently "sold," only reappear shortly thereafter in another new listing. 

That said, eBay is still an incredibly useful tool for many things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

When I come home with a box of "collectables" and old books that are out of my realm of interest I check the Past Auction Sales to find fair market value, then check current listings. it is great fun to read some of the over the top disruptions of things with a stupid asking prices. I list mine at 1/2 to 1/4 of their price

• Like 1

In the past few years, 98% of the stuff I list on eBay as an auction goes for the opening bid.   I find that setting a realistic price on a BIN works just as well,  plus you get a 30-day exposure instead of a few days.  The days of 'bidding wars' are over, in my opinion.

• Like 2