Do you take your car(s) to car shows?

KongaMan

Have you ever exhibited one of your cars at a car show?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever exhibited one of your cars at a car show?

• No.
    • Yes, but only a local cruise-in, etc. with no awards.
    • Yes, up to and including a show that gave out informal awards.
    • Yes, up to and including a show judged by defined criteria.
    • Yes, up to and including a 400-point judged show.

I don't care as much about trophies as I do about participating.  I am taking my 1991 Roadmaster Estate wagon with 231,000 miles to a show this weekend with all other makes and models.  I'll put a note on it for the judges not to waste their time judging it.  I know many other local people (including Buicks) will be there and it is a fund raiser for local charities, so I donate my $20, take a lawn chair and ice chest, park with my friends, and enjoy a day visiting and looking at other nice cars.  Can't beat that. Maybe someone who has never seen a Roadmaster wagon will see one.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TxBuicks said:

I don't care as much about trophies as I do about participating.  I am taking my 1991 Roadmaster Estate wagon with 231,000 miles to a show this weekend with all other makes and models.  I'll put a note on it for the judges not to waste their time judging it.  I know many other local people (including Buicks) will be there and it is a fund raiser for local charities, so I donate my $20, take a lawn chair and ice chest, park with my friends, and enjoy a day visiting and looking at other nice cars.  Can't beat that. Maybe someone who has never seen a Roadmaster wagon will see one.

I get a lot of passer-by comments in the parking lot about my 1994 Roadmaster "Woody" wagon.  So much different than the cookie cutter cars.  

20170907_083744.thumb.jpg.dbd8f98936b23dd9774de7ead7593e4a.jpg

• Like 2

I used to take my truck to local general shows when, oddly enough, it was cheaper to "enter" the show and park right there than to pay admission and walk 1/4 mile just to get in.  It was a nice truck, certainly not worthy of awards in my opinion, and never won any, but it made logistical and wallet sense to just enter the show.  I told the judges more than once to just skip it, and when it was drive-thru judging, I did not drive it through.

I would park it beside my family's actual "show" cars.

just a really clean 2003 Silverado with a few aftermarket changes

IMG_3582.JPG

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do not participate in Judged shows.  It's just not my thing and I don't enjoy sitting by my car for most of the day when I could be driving it to interesting places. 

I have shown my cars primarily at charity shows; & I will not pay to show my car unless the proceeds go to a qualified charity. 

I once won a cash prize at a charity show, and immediately donated my winnings to the charity and challenged other winners to do the same. 

I have either donated my trophies, or converted them to funny "Trouble Trophies" for local car club tours.

59b15f7bb035d_TroubleTrophy.thumb.jpg.dd96abdf9b9b5e5191e86cee927f62f0.jpg

• Like 3

When I take my cars to judged shows, such as Hershey,

I always check "Do Not Judge" on the application form.

I don't care about a trophy, but I want my car displayed

with others of its era.  Best of all is discussing the car

with people from the general public.  Pointing out features

gives onlookers a more fulfilling experience than when they

simply walk down the rows.

Features that seem routine to us may be entirely novel to a

teenager.  For example, I pointed out the bench seat in a car,

and how you could get in on one side and slide over to

the other.  To 13-year-old girls looking at the cars, that

was a wonder!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those girls also liked seeing the empty front

"engine" compartment in a Corvair--something

they wouldn't have seen if I hadn't asked the 

car's owner to open it for them.  Thankfully, their hearts

were thinking in the right direction that day.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The only award I've ever gotten was a prominent start plaque. Basically I'm the youngest guy there with a badly worn car but the drivetrain is 100% complete. I used to go to cruise-ins, too, but the one I went to, the guy that built my old engine is a prominent member in their group and the last time I went I was asked to leave. I did go to a drive-in on campus here, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Features that seem routine to us may be entirely novel to a

teenager.  For example, I pointed out the bench seat in a car,

and how you could get in on one side and slide over to

the other.  To 13-year-old girls looking at the cars, that

was a wonder!

That came in handy this summer when we had issues with the driver's door lock on the Electra and couldn't open the door. Of course it cropped up just before the National. 

It's just you. :P

I'd think that has more to do with being a TV show and wanting to get the actors in the shot.  Like the way 4 people don't sit around the table to eat; they sit in a horseshoe with no one at the camera end.

It's been a long time since I've had a car with a bench seat.  My last one got scrapped about 25 years ago.  It came in handy on high school dates, though.

• Like 3

I don't go to shows much anymore. It is easier to find a shady spot in my back yard.

I do have two trophies from the AACA 2014 Spring Meet.

I got one from the world's leading Larkin Products expert. He presented it as I was leaving. It is wood with a nice nail through it. I used the nail to mount it on my garage wall. It even has my class number and assigned parking space on it, very personal touch.

065.thumb.JPG.22c79ac3fa76373195f535c23b7d3d1a.JPG

Then I got a letter from AACA telling me I scored a third place and if I sent something like 30 bucks they'd sent me a trophy. I sent the money but I'm not planning to make a habit of that.

I keep that one on my dresser which is impeccably neat, except for tossing the debit card receipts out of my pocket and few few old watches.

006.thumb.JPG.40209f877ba698bc6ec037605a700deb.JPG

Planning on the Buick Nats in Denver '18. Probably fly out. I'll take my safety glasses with the side shields and try to look directly at the Buicks, kinda scary if you glance to the side and see some old guy in baggy shorts and those ankle socks they wear. I just shivvered.

Bernie

• Haha 1

I like the two extremes,   higher end shows or cruise-ins.  Our town has their fall festival next week with a cruise in sort of show.  I'll drag something over there for an hour so.  The following weekend is the Boston  Cup.

However, I have not had a car judged in over 10 years.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

A few years ago,the Two Cylinder John Deere club had a meet near here and I decided to crash the party with a John Deere service truck,I had correct for era decals made for the '21 Chevy and trailered it behind my '72 Chevy C20. Tractor shows usually have lots of room (ie.farms) so I'm allowed to show '21,'72,and trailer together.The best part is talking to interested and interesting people.

100_1290.jpg

1921 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup 005.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I entered my 1968 Buick Riviera in the Super Chevy Show at the Rockingham Dragway last Saturday (September 30, 2017) in the Other GM class. We took home an 'Outstanding in Class'  award for The Aqua Zephyr's first car show since we purchased it last June. 

20170930_095434.thumb.jpg.1dccf40ed6836833d6a000d5efd0ff2c.jpg20170930_170227.thumb.jpg.c951866a317a8627dc9e9f3921bbca36.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/19/2017 at 9:38 AM, alsancle said:

So I went to the town show Sunday.  Maybe 100 cars.  75% muscle. 20% 50s, 5% prewar.   Ran in to an old friend who I talked to for an hour and then went home.  It was nice.

IMG_3194.JPG

The US Mail Jeep section reminds me of the Mustang section at some shows I have seen. What class are they in? First?

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I attend shows for a few reasons:

1.  Get out of the house.

2.  Enjoy the day with my friends with similar interests.

3.  Attend shows for a good cause. 

4.  Share the car with people who are interested

If the shows have trophies, then great if my car receives the nod.  If not, no problem.   However, if I did a complete nut and bolt restoration to a T,  then concourse for sure.  I would hope the car would receive the nod and accolades.  That is what I worked towards as many have.   But, I'm not to that point in my life. Once retired, we will see. 

This issue will never be resolved.......

There are people that only go to get a trophy.....and I don't think any of them spend any time on discussion like this.

I like the parking lot show like "cars and coffee" and in some areas just a get together of cars on Friday or Saturday night.  Around here we have had these and without

the sponsorship of the mall or business, they are afraid of liability and these show often get shut down just when they are getting good.

People will bring almost anything to a "show" that has no fee and no trophy's.....it is understandable ..why would you pay an entry fee knowing your car had no chance of winning.

You might if the entry fees are going to charity, church or school, but otherwise why would someone bring their 1950 Studebaker P/U (poor paint, torn seats, maybe a crack in the glass) to a show and

compete with all the restored Fords and Chevys?

In my case.......this weekend my local club had a show at a Harley dealer.  I took the Reatta because it is not going to win anything at most shows, but it has A/C and the drive was about 40 miles.(nothing is close in Texas)

I only take the '39 Buick to close shows when the weather is mild, it is more likely to win but it also attracts more attention and questions.

At a retirement home show I had the '39 and this older lady and her daughter came over and ask about the year, when I told her it was a 1939 she said "that's the year I graduated from high school" that one lady was worth the trip.

1939 Buick 007.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 9

• 5 months later...

I had one car,1970 Dodge Superbee, that was good enough restored to take to a national judged event and I did. Trailered in a box to get there I scored very high in my class and also won best paint, which I did myself. The big difference between my car and my competitors was that mine was not only my daily driver till I got my truck/trailer, but also competed against pro restorers. Very proud of that car and my work.Most recently I’ve been going to regional goodguys events with the 53 Super on my header. Got the first ever bitchn buick award they have given. Love it. Not sure about everyone else but I like all forms of motorized entertainment. Shows,drags,autocross,motorcycles whatever looks cool or looks fun,I like it. Also have a near done 40 special sedan,51 Special sedan and 52Ford F1. I like going to indoor and outdoor shows. Usually end up parking,close the door and go walking around looking at all the others. What fun.

Almost never take my cars to shows anymore. Around here, they consist of 85% or more street rods, hot rod pickup trucks, and other modifieds. What's the point? I just don't enjoy seeing those. And I have too much work to do to sit around for 5 or 6 hours on a Saturday waiting for the awards to be announced.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• Like 3

I'm not allowed at the local Wal-Mart drive-in anymore because the guy that built/destroyed my engine is a club member. They were boring anyways. The only other meets I go to are local school organized events, and those are mostly Subaru "mods" with 4" exhausts. Also boring..

I go to some shows that I just like.  These are shows that usually require more than a warm up drive to get to, and have some other attraction, like the show by my last living uncle participated in near his house in New Jersey, or the BCA events in the States around where I live, or it's something our BCA Chapter does as a group, or it's the weekly cruise in sponsored by my BCA chapter.  Otherwise give me a drive in the country side! 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

When I do go to shows I take my 84 S-10 I so radically modified it that people ask me what it used to be. I was at one show where a young girl asked me how much I would sell it for. Before I could answer her, her mother chimed in and said the nice's thing, she told her daughter.......you can't put a price on art..  

PICT0011 - Copy.JPG

• Thanks 1