Street Rod Castoffs - A Great Way to Buy Parts

I recently bought an entire drivetrain from a 1932 Buick Series 90 coupe that was street rodded in Colorado in 2008.  This was a complete running and driving car at the time chassis SN 2635426 and engine SN 2783359.  The engine, transmission, rear end, front axle, four original wheels with tires all in in great condition, and numerous spare parts were stored inside in an extremely dry climate after not being used used when the car was converted.  Sad to see the fate of the original car from an AACA perspective but the owner did all of the work himself including the paint.  The family sold the items after the owner passed and I was thrilled to get them.  You never know what you have without an internal inspection but they said the car was running great before being street rodded; he did it as a project after he retired.  Has anyone else scored big buying street rod castoffs?

IMG_0129.jpeg.ad86be9128e39a1ae9fcbdd25216e0dc.jpegIMG_0146.jpeg.60f4b5bdfe0128c6b0d39c54f716e79d.jpegIMG_0138.jpeg.b7d62f265510aad33e93988dead0ca4a.jpegIMG_0155.jpeg.a6c7efdd4694caf2dda99cbdcc2f5dc1.jpegIMG_0156.jpeg.2792d774b8bd14210f8b2270fcc4672b.jpegIMG_0160.jpeg.da9ab950fc83066d2d8b9facfff241d7.jpegIMG_0162.jpeg.b3ca222bf6685a943ec9746a2e733692.jpegIMG_0167.jpeg.63bc8d3d4de9b0b3d68fc2534458233f.jpeg

• Like 8

I NEVER put down hot rodders. I have accumulated MANY great, original parts from them for my 1931 Dodge projects.

• Like 4

Restoration cast offs a great way to buy Hot Rod projects.

"That's not worth restoring"

"Good father and son project"

"Too rough for me"

"Oh! They ruined that car I didn't want."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BuickTom87 said:

You’re not selling anything right ?

Thanks for asking but I’m not selling any of these items at this time.  If the engine checks out I plan to use it in a car I already own.

Sorry to see the car street rodded BUT so pleased to see the parts removed have a good home and will eventually go back into a car that can benefit from them.

• Like 4

I have seen a few Model A chassis for sale over the years of which the body of the car suffered the same fate. I think it would be cool just to have a fully restored running chassis, but time, and storage for what would be the same as a fully functional car limits me.

I have gotten complete drive lines for my 30-U Plymouth twice.  Sadly, each time a solid running car was being rodded but at least good parts were saved from the scrappers!

• Like 6

Great topic.

Of course there are different views on this subject but when it really comes down to it, the owner has the right to do what he/she wants to do with their parts or machines.

The Purist is offended when vintage cars motorcycles or whatever are cannibalized.

The street-rodder, resto-modder, is trying to make a machine that is more drivable that a 50 + year old machine. And of course, a safer machine at road speeds of today.   

A 50 + year old machine may be restored to exact original specs, at a high $$ cost, which is great. It may be driven a little, and showed as a historical piece.  On the other hand the resto-modder is going to drive that machine. And maybe more people will see that machine, because it is able to be driven, like a new car. 

Not everybody will be pleased.

If the resto-modder offers up some hard to find parts, that may allow the authentic restorer to finally  get his/her machine finished.

Just recently I was able to get a restorer a very rare, actually non-obtainable part for a limited production motorcycle early 1930's, he was looking for this part for decades. That part only became available because of  restoration could not be completed.   

Some machines are destined to be donors, for others to survive. 

intimeold

• Like 3

Makes me wonder what percentage of the total automobile production has been saved in original form. I bet the majority were used up and junked by consumers.

I see them fueling up their cars at the convenient store, consumers, just using them up.

It is absolutely a great way to get parts.  The majority of my AACA Senior '35 Ford cabriolet came from a '35 Ford tudor sedan that was street rodded.  And the same all over again with a '36 Ford tudor sedan that was street rodded.  They get rid of all kinds of good parts.

2 hours ago, intimeold said:

Great topic.

Of course there are different views on this subject but when it really comes down to it, the owner has the right to do what he/she wants to do with their parts or machines.

The Purist is offended when vintage cars motorcycles or whatever are cannibalized.

The street-rodder, resto-modder, is trying to make a machine that is more drivable that a 50 + year old machine. And of course, a safer machine at road speeds of today.   

A 50 + year old machine may be restored to exact original specs, at a high $$ cost, which is great. It may be driven a little, and showed as a historical piece.  On the other hand the resto-modder is going to drive that machine. And maybe more people will see that machine, because it is able to be driven, like a new car. 

Not everybody will be pleased.

If the resto-modder offers up some hard to find parts, that may allow the authentic restorer to finally  get his/her machine finished.

Just recently I was able to get a restorer a very rare, actually non-obtainable part for a limited production motorcycle early 1930's, he was looking for this part for decades. That part only became available because of  restoration could not be completed.   

Some machines are destined to be donors, for others to survive. 

intimeold

Although I do not disagree with 99% of your comment, I am reminded of a video I saw awhile ago about a guy that built a 1000+hp early 60's mopar(I think, may have been a ford). He was video taping for some hot rod channel, the throttle got stuck and the car took off down a very busy street, rear ending a hapless driver by in a mini van. Pretty much destroyed the hot rod, and the 2 occupants suffered quite a few injuries. Later they made the comment about the brakes werent quite up to snuff but they took it out on the road anyway. 

Every time I hear of a high horsepower build, or see a blown monster of an engine I cannot help but to wonder how safe it really is. On a local cable access channel just the other night they spotlighted a fellow with a late 60's riviera. Again, he was proud that the motor was 1000+hp, it had the rear tubbed and giant racing slicks. When asked if he was going to take it to the track, the guy said he would not, it was just for driving on the road. Seemed a bit irresponsible to me, but what do I know anyway................

• Like 3

I know of a number of those types of Machines in my area. Huge engine, radical cam, tubbed fender wells with huge tires. Most are rarely driven and not nearly as practical to drive as the original car they started with. I always wonder what the point is.

• Like 4

About 10 years ago a fellow contacted me to see if I would have interest in the stock parts from a very nice '39 Ford sedan he was making  a street rod out of. I purchased the engine, transmission, axles, wheels, tires, gauges, banjo steering wheel/column and more. All was in great condition and was dirt cheap.

• Like 3

1929 Dodge Brothers business coupe was getting chopped recently. I got all I could for $300 running engine, trans, complete went to CA, the wood wheels went to Wyoming, the dash and interior components went to Australia.... I kept one part (front bumper) plus a healthy return on my investment and for my time to ship everything.

It is a shame to see what becomes of some of them, but there's no denying it helps us purists who like to keep them as close to original as possible. 

• Like 2

I've traveled far and wide buying stuff from hot rodders to gather parts up for the 30 Dodge - including all the way to Winnipeg (2 days drive) to get everything a fellow wasn't using in his build of a 30 Dodge Sedan - the whole interior, drivetrain etc.  Sad part was his grandfather had bought the car new but his car and his way to stay connected to him.  Picked up more stuff locally and in one of the best interactions, the fellow had done a fantastic job of keeping the interior original appearing that I was able to get pictures of, particularly the rumble seat area.   My father rodded the 51 Plymouth Wagon,  nothing radical by todays standards, but my parents have driven it all over and met lots of really nice people that they likely wouldn't have connected with had the car been restored - the but is, it's a one, maybe two owner car.  I know what is in it and understand it but my kids have no idea or point of reference for the various parts.  I find that's the case for any hot rod - they are built to one person's vision, which is rarely another persons.  A restored car on the other hand will continue on through many caretakers.  

• Like 1

When I bought my first 1934 Ford on 1972, a friend with a 33 Street rod came over and said, "Nice Car, Let's Chop the Top".   We were friendly and shared an interest that lasted another 40 years.   He introduced to many others and I obtained, seats, bumpers, cowl lights, wheels, mechanical 1parts and lots of knowledge.   Those old guys knew 34 Fords and where a source of much help along the way.   Now.

I'm the old guy who helps the younger ones.   I would guess most of them were only 10 to 20 years my

senior, but their experience was a wonderful find, as well as their parts.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Re-Position text. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

About 10 years ago I met up with a guy advertising 32 Plymouth parts, turned out to be a 31 PA coupe that he had just purchased as an all original turnkey car and was turning into a street rod, I thought that would be one less original car left and not something I would have done, so anyway I purchased everything except the body and interior. I traded many parts to get things I needed to get my car on the road.

I do not look down on this hot rod/street rod/resto mod way of thinking at all because it helped so many other people along the way. I also keep in contact with the guy I purchased from and met many other Plymouth PA/PB folks from that nice little PA coupe deal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kar3516 said:

I recently bought an entire drivetrain from a 1932 Buick Series 90 coupe that was street rodded in Colorado in 2008.  This was a complete running and driving car at the time chassis SN 2635426 and engine SN 2783359.  The engine, transmission, rear end, front axle, four original wheels with tires all in in great condition, and numerous spare parts were stored inside in an extremely dry climate after not being used used when the car was converted.  Sad to see the fate of the original car from an AACA perspective but the owner did all of the work himself including the paint.  The family sold the items after the owner passed and I was thrilled to get them.  You never know what you have without an internal inspection but they said the car was running great before being street rodded; he did it as a project after he retired.  Has anyone else scored big buying street rod castoffs?

IMG_0129.jpeg.ad86be9128e39a1ae9fcbdd25216e0dc.jpegIMG_0146.jpeg.60f4b5bdfe0128c6b0d39c54f716e79d.jpegIMG_0138.jpeg.b7d62f265510aad33e93988dead0ca4a.jpegIMG_0155.jpeg.a6c7efdd4694caf2dda99cbdcc2f5dc1.jpegIMG_0156.jpeg.2792d774b8bd14210f8b2270fcc4672b.jpegIMG_0160.jpeg.da9ab950fc83066d2d8b9facfff241d7.jpegIMG_0162.jpeg.b3ca222bf6685a943ec9746a2e733692.jpegIMG_0167.jpeg.63bc8d3d4de9b0b3d68fc2534458233f.jpeg

Hi,

Do you have any more info about the original owner?

I ask because the front and rear split bumpers are definitely not 1932 Buick, and the headlights don't look to be 1932 Buick either based on the dark ring.

Very interesting to see these non-32 items on this 1932 Buick...wonder what the owner had in mind...

They appear to be 1928-30 Buick, hopefully other experts can weigh-in...

You are the man for financing and storing and preserving these parts!

Some of us have been doing similar, if not for our future selves, or for future others who might be interested in being stewards.

Do you happen to know if the Wizard valve is bronze or die cast pot metal?

Thanks,

Mario

4 minutes ago, 32buick67 said:

Hi,

Do you have any more info about the original owner?

I ask because the front and rear split bumpers are definitely not 1932 Buick, and the headlights don't look to be 1932 Buick either based on the dark ring.

Very interesting to see these non-32 items on this 1932 Buick...wonder what the owner had in mind...

They appear to be 1928-30 Buick, hopefully other experts can weigh-in...

You are the man for financing and storing and preserving these parts!

Some of us have been doing similar, if not for our future selves, or for future others who might be interested in being stewards.

Do you happen to know if the Wizard valve is bronze or die cast pot metal?

Thanks,

Mario

Among the parts I received were the sealed beam headlight conversion inserts painted blue.  Apparently these were installed in the car when it was black and before it was rodded.  After painting them blue he apparently later reinstalled stock lenses.  Bumper looks like a 31…

A good friend sold a 1934 Oldsmobile 8 cyl coup that had no rust at all. Sat in his garage for 30 years then decided to sell having other projects to finish. Went to a hot rod builder but the deal was he got the drive line back. The engine ended up being sold to a shop out west going into a 34 roadster missing an engine. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

On the cars that I have 'streetrodded', they were all cars that restorers had rejected because they were either 'too far gone' in the eyes of the restoration folks or were models that were not rare or that did not have that much appeal.  Keeping in mind that my cars, if modified, are always 95% stock looking and are not 'chop it and shove a hemi in it' types, one thing I have ALWAYS done is make my modifications totally reversible and, accordingly, I have saved the original parts so that a future owner can bring the car back to totally stock if so desired.  In addition, I have gone so far as to stamp parts with something like 'NON-ORIGINAL, INSTALLED 20__' so that a future owner knows what is original and what is not. (e.g., attached photo of a so-stamped, additional brace I added to the x-member of one of my 34s).   While all of this does not make me a source of spare parts, I think I am doing my part to make sure that these cars are not butchered and are available for future restoration if deemed appropriate.  We're all in this together folks... .

34framebrace.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While I don’t consider my PB Roadster as a “Street Rod”, per se, she definitely is an (early’-‘50s, period authentic) Hot Rod and likely got saved only due to my decision to buy her nearly 35 year ago.

She was essentially a basket case and close to what edinmass calls “floor sweepings”, missing many of her original mechanical and trim parts and would’ve been a very difficult (& costly) if not a hopeless project to be restored back to her original form (which didn’t interest me), but she had the original frame with front & rear axles/suspension/steering and most of the her original body and other panels, not to mention, in spite of having been cannibalized as a parts car, still had the original VIN and title/registration papers + plates from 1952 when she had been last time registered for road use.

There was also ample evidence of her having been already “hot rodded” long before my ownership, likely back in the early 1950s

Fortunately (for me) I had a great local friend with a fully restored PB Convertible Coupe along with dozens upon dozens of prewar MoPar vehicles and truckloads of parts offered to give me any and all parts I needed in exchange to any and all parts that came with her but I had no planned need or use for.

Thanks to this agreement, which both of us were happy with, I was able to build/create a car I had dreamt of since my mid-teens and now, after nearly 35 years and 100K+ miles later, I still have and enjoy her several thousand miles annually and hope to continue until I get pulled off from this great highway of life.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Show us a picture of your PB Roadster, please.

Here's several from the day she arrived and made me feel like the happiest person on the planet.

There are plenty more in the thread "Long distance driving/traveling with vintage cars" I started 5 years ago.

Trying to act cool and hide the excitement:

image.jpeg

"Now what do we have here ?":

image.jpeg

Lovely:

image.jpeg

Yes !!

image.jpeg

First ride:

image.jpeg

Another with friends:

image.jpeg

Heaven on earth:

image.jpeg

P.S. I still love her as much, if not more today. We've been together more than half of my life and hopefully stay that way until death to us...

• Like 4

After reviewing these pictures I realized I still have that same $9.00 Timex I bought from Walton's retail supermarket (my previous, Swiss-made watch crapped out unexpectedly and I just quickly went to nearest store to get a replacement), but for past +/- 30 years it's been hanging off the inside rearview mirror of the Roadster, keeping very accurate time. Its OEM battery died couple of years ago after 30+ years of service and interestingly coincidential enough while the car was inoperative for +/-8 months during the engine rebuild, but got promptly replaced, so I'm hoping I don't have to replace it for at least another couple of decades.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TTR, I enjoy the pics you post of your road trips, after seeing these photos they have a different meaning to them. Its great to see someone hold onto (and build) and enjoy a car for as long as you have. Thanks for sharing the pics. 

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

TTR, I enjoy the pics you post of your road trips, after seeing these photos they have a different meaning to them. Its great to see someone hold onto (and build) and enjoy a car for as long as you have. Thanks for sharing the pics. 

Thank you Kerry and my pleasure.

I really appreciate your comment about the context between “what she was” and “what she became”.

For this same reason I’ve always carried (in the car) a small photo album featuring these and other photos showcasing the reconstruction process.

Reaching for it and showing the photos has always been a great way to answer questions like “Did you built it ?” or “How was it when you got it ?” and seems to give people I/we run into during drives & travel better appreciation and understanding of “our” relationship.

And as I’ve mentioned (more than once), I’m fortunate to have had 30+ year (& counting) career restoring and working on variety of vintage cars ranging from 1906 Holsman or 1937 Cord 812Sc to 1959 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder Competizione or dozen+ early Seventies V12 Ferraris and beyond, but can’t think of many cars I would trade my Roadster for, especially if I had to keep one or the other for the rest of life without any financial benefit or consideration.

She might be a bit of a Bride of Frankenstein, but I brought her back to life and love her as much as a person can (or should ?) of an inanimate object.

• Like 2

There are a lot of advertised engine and transmissions for sale. Running vintage engines pulled from project cars. You still can piece together a classic/collector car. The big cost is now getting the parts to your location. Shipping, transportation, fuel, food and lodging add up fast. I search out areas that I will be driving through when on road trips. I have always tried to sell off unused parts, even offering them for free, be for they go to the parking lot in the sky.

A0752EF5-D5BD-4B29-BF94-DDA016D3A965.jpeg