Neighborhood mechanics /painters - almost impossible to find anyone willing to help with old car repairs from their garage or yours

Buick35

It seems like it's almost impossible to find anyone willing to help with old car repairs from their garage or yours,just to help out,listen to good tunes,drink beer or (or whatever)or just hang out. I think they were more plentiful in the seventies. Easier to make buds.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Neighborhood mechanics /painters - almost impossible to find anyone willing to help with old car repairs from their garage or yours

It is simply a case of finding people with an interest other than being in that all too common self-absorbed state of mind and "what's in it for me" mentality.

As Peter has said - club buddies, but the path is never only in one direction and give more than you get. Never get cranky if they are there to help you, that will ensure that next time a plea for help will go unanswered.

Steve

It is much harder to find the “average person” who is interested in talking cars.  It’s the problem I run into with my neighbors.  With one or two exceptions all the others are big sports fans.  I’m not, so that puts me on the outside on those discussions.  The two that are, one is a VW /Audi tech and the other is not so much into cars made before about 1968.  The answer- I hang out here a lot and discuss older cars, repairs and other similar topics.  I can’t drive anymore so that limits my interactions too.

• Like 1

I joined a local Model A Club & AACA in 1972 when I bought my first 1934 Ford.   I still belong to both and consider most of my longest term friendships to be as a result of that.   Remember, it works both ways.   Try to be a better giver than a taker.    I found people who know how to do something that I don't, are more willing to tell me how than to show me.   That changes as friendships grow.

• Like 3

After retiring from working on German cars I met a guy in which I now consider him my best friend turned me on to pre war cars the first time he let me drive his 28 Whippet I was hooked I now have two of my own  and the word got around that I work on pre war cars I now have a garage full of projects More relaxing to work on more fun to drive. John

• Like 2

It used to be … 

Someone would extend their hand

to offer a handshake …

As a gesture of Friendship 

and their attitude was …

” What can I do for you ? “

Today when someone extends 

their hand - it usually is palm up

and their attitude is …

” What can you do for me ? “

As I get older - this just turns

me off - I have no time for

folks like that.

Jim

• Like 3

When I first started to drive there were a couple of go to 'shade tree' mechanics. The ones I knew had day jobs working for Chrysler or GM and tinkered on the side. My now deceased next door neighbor had a nice shop settup. He dabbled in restoration work, flipping cars and general mechanical stuff. The county came by and 'closed' his shop. The zoning was not correct!! He worked on one or two cars at a time and it never looked like anything was going on. Probably a big reason this kind of thing doesnt happen today. I cant imagine in FLA especially if you live with a HOA.

• Like 1

Joining a club and getting to know other members is essential. It's just as important to know where NOT to go for help as it is where to go and member input can be a big advantage.

Remember also those willing and able to help are generally hobbiests and are not really operating as  a business. You can't just ring their doorbell and expect to get a paint job.  It may take the recommendation of another club member to help get to know those "hidden resources."

There are also professionals and shops willing to help and take on small jobs but it's usually done based again on the recommendations facilitated by car club members. 

For example, our local MG club has been fantastic about helping keep our cars going. We hold several "tech" sessions every year. Many members are willing to share info, parts and their expertise.  Same with our AACA Region- lots of help and knowledge available - among members and friends. 

Gary56, there are lots of opportunities to talk about old cars in person or virtually. Many towns have local cars and coffee gatherings or local cruise ins. While many are attended by the new car/hot Rod crowd in my experience, old cars/owners attend as well and you can have great conversations with them. The old car also generates lots of visits and discussions with the newer car owners as well. They are always interested in our cars. From that you can get leads to local AACA chapters or other old car marque chapters to join as well as their national clubs to join and attend their events/shows to talk old cars with like minded enthusiasts who can answer your questions about your car. You are also a member of this forum so take advantage of that.  Lots of very experienced members here who are generous with providing answers or advice. Join AACA if you have not done so yet. Lots of benefits to include the magazine. What is the year/make of your 100 y/o car?  A picture(s) is always welcome by all here. In what general area are you located?  A forum member may reside near you and reach out to you

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2023 at 9:42 PM, Porsche 68 said:

After retiring from working on German cars I met a guy in which I now consider him my best friend turned me on to pre war cars the first time he let me drive his 28 Whippet I was hooked I now have two of my own  and the word got around that I work on pre war cars I now have a garage full of projects More relaxing to work on more fun to drive. John

Hi,I wish you were closer.I'm trying to help my son on his 69 Karman Ghia his brake lights and turn signals are inop. Wiring in general is a mess but at least it runs and looks great.Greg

On 12/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, Trulyvintage said:

It used to be … 

Someone would extend their hand

to offer a handshake …

As a gesture of Friendship 

and their attitude was …

” What can I do for you ? “

Today when someone extends 

their hand - it usually is palm up

and their attitude is …

” What can you do for me ? “

I have found this has become more prevalent since the age of communication has gone to the tap of a button on the computer. People are to anxious to have instant information - if you have something they want /need they demand you to give it to them. Most are not even polite. no manners,  This has turned me off and I have shut down a lot of ways to help people that I did in the past. Life is not getting longer and to cater to the whims of the self proclaimed important people that some feel they are I just ignore.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Gary56 said:

I live in south east Philadelphia  not far from the airport.  Is there anybody close that can help me with my 29 graham paige?

Im somewhat close but know nothing about your car unfortunately. Are you aware of the Simeone Museum in your neighborhood? Someone there may be able to help or know of someone that can.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:27 AM, CChinn said:

From that you can get leads to local AACA chapters

Gary56 go the AACA Home page from this site and you can join AACA on line.  Click on the Regions tab and you can find an AACA Region near you and how to contact them.  We have active regions right in your area.

In my experence at least the odds are against you finding someone who is both capable, and has any spare shop space. { and time to spare in this crazy world }  I am a reasonably capable guy , but I have 0.00 % empty covered space , and need at least another 4 or 5 hours a day just to get caught up on 6 months ago's stuff.  I suspect many are in the same situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is the reason I suggest everyone post their approximate location.  I think members on this board would be happy to help out if they knew they were close enough.  Most of my on-line Falcon buddies seem to be on the West Coast--3000+ miles is a bit too far.

Perhaps another reason is "LIABILTY".   What if..."slips trips and fall..."  We are all one frivilous lawsuit from bankruptcy.

My question to OP would be “How often YOU offer to help others in your neighborhood with jobs/repairs/tasks they may need (free ?) assistance with, be it their household or vehicle related ?”

5 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

This is the reason I suggest everyone post their approximate location. 

I thought this was an interesting comment from a person without a location in their "Location" box. 

So you made me Google and sure enough Littlestown is a place in Pennsylvania. I think most people not from lower central PA would not know that.😉

But you are near potato chips and a large Corvair parts business!

🦃🕎🍲☃️🍠🐖🎄🎄❄️

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 12:27 PM, TAKerry said:

Corvair parts maybe, but chips? Nowhere near Nottingham PA, home of Herr's LOL(about 5 minutes from my drive).

You, jest, sir.  Hanover, PA is the center of the potato chip universe---you cannot drive far without seeing some sort of UTZ facility.  I know that you can drive right by the HERR's factory in Oxford and not even see it.  Do they still do all the Christmas lights on the trees out by Rt 1?

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 12:12 PM, Frank DuVal said:

I thought this was an interesting comment from a person without a location in their "Location" box. 

So you made me Google and sure enough Littlestown is a place in Pennsylvania. I think most people not from lower central PA would not know that.😉

But you are near potato chips and a large Corvair parts business!

🦃🕎🍲☃️🍠🐖🎄🎄❄️

Interesting Omission---  I was referencing people who are looking for specific help should post their location.  If I cahnged my screen name to "Gettysburg Mike", a lot more people would know where I am--or at least near where i am.
That Corvair Farm almost had me restoring a Corvair--the assistance of a facility like that is not easily dismissed, but, alas, I went a different direction---there have been no Chevy connections anywhere in my family history---One Uncle was given a 1960 Chevy 2 door, salesman special by his employer,( Esskay).  It was STRICTLY for company business--no back seat; just a whole lot of cargo room.

1 hour ago, Littlestown Mike said:

You, jest, sir.  Hanover, PA is the center of the potato chip universe---you cannot drive far without seeing some sort of UTZ facility.  I know that you can drive right by the HERR's factory in Oxford and not even see it.  Do they still do all the Christmas lights on the trees out by Rt 1?

I know, I had a gf whose family lived in Hanover, spent a good bit of time in the area. Herrs is actually in Nottingham 3 or 4 miles south of Oxford. Yes, they do a spectactular Christmas light show. They used to have a big 'bike night' in the spring and a 'car cruise' late summer but that stopped about the same time as covid. They really are pretty good chips, LOL.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me being crushed to death under my old Willys would be looked at in the same way as Alexander being stepped on by a elephant.

The neighbors would cast a token glance and return to their sitcoms and smart phones with some comment like “Well, he died doing what he loved, and I’m not getting dirty pulling his old butt from under the car”.

I do belong to several antique and classic car collectors clubs. And I have attended some of the car shows in this area, and this was never done with the expectation of someone helping me. 
What I did seek was someone interested in cars, trucks, tractors, motor scooters, roller skates, ice boats, raising llamas or anything other than politics, finances, and selling something.

After nearly five years of peddling myself, disgusted as a old car, a old tractor or even a old motor scooter I have discovered that it is better to be alone sometime because every line cast my way came with a hook.

I lost a large part of myself in my wife’s passing. But, I had a passel of friends…at least until they started dying too.

It was then I realized that this is not the world of 1950, and the people who moved into my deceased friends homes were not the generation of the 1930’s or even the 1940’s.

Rather, they were easily trackable, not because they reach out to be friendly, but because they speed through the neighborhood at the same time every day, and can be easily identified by the blank stare on their face.

That is if you can catch them at a moment when their blacked out windows are down and their car sound system is turned low enough that you don’t puke before you see them.

On the several occasions I attempted to meet these folks by going to their homes and introducing myself, it took less than 15 seconds to realize it was a waste of time and effort. They were just too involved in snap-chat or Twitter to be bothered with a real conversation.

I have firmly concluded that those who are pushing themselves as being old car enthusiasts are either in their dotage, the same as me, or manicuring a potential buyer of something they have to sell.

The myth that putting your location, email and telephone number on your club profiles will, in some way, entice like thinking people to open up to you is a sheer fabrication.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the advocate for posting their approximate location would help in getting help. It did work and the nearly instantaneous reply was to point out that the advocate had neglected to list his/her own approximate location.

However, I am a oddity because I registered using my real name and the location could not be more definitive if it were given as a 8 digit grid number and included a GPS link to my house.

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 1