Historical Vehicle Plates

MarkV

1 hour ago, dodge28 said:

Historical plates may limit the drivability of the vehicle . Check, do your homework before deciding.

Not in Maryland, any and every body with a 20 yo car has them!! Way over abused. There are limitations but nothing is enforced and with the exception of the guys that abuse the pickups it would be hard to enforce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New York State has both Historical Plates and you can also use Year of Manufacture plate's. If you don't want a special plate you can register your antique car with standard New York plates.

• Like 2

Ours are boring maroon and say club permit and Victoria on them, though the numbers are different based on categories and separate from our regular cars. Pre 1932 started at plate 1 and everything later is much higher and prefixed with M for modified or H for hotrod 

Pre 1932 is also the only type that only has to have one plate (I’m convinced that whoever set the scheme up had an early car)

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)

Virginia has Antique Plates in black with white letters or yellow/orange plate with dark blue letters. You can get the yellow/orange plate personalized. One time fee for plates (we have front and rear) and one time fee for personalization. 

See examples on dmvnow.com.

At least 25 years old and have to sign that it would pass safety inspection. 

Virginia has more personalized plates than any other state! Because we charge less than other states. 👍

Illinois has two choices. A historical tag that limits driving to events, parades, demonstrations, and repairs. Cars must be 25 years old. Fire trucks must be 20.  Number two is called Extended Antique and has the same age requirements. The difference is that from March 1 to Nov. 1 the car can be driven without restrictions and only from Dec to Feb are there limits as in the regular historical plates. Yearly fees for plates are extended: $45, regular historic: $30 for five years.  Antique motorcycle plates are also available.

6 hours ago, MarkV said:

Who is even paying attention?

Here in VA the police are very much paying attention. People have been abusing the system and using antique or YOM plates for daily driver beaters to avoid safety inspections and emissions testing. If they see a clapped out car with antique plates taking the same route at the same time every day, they rightfully get suspicious.

In Ohio, a vehicle must be 25 years or older to obtain an historical vehicle plate.   They are to be on vehicles only driven to car shows or other related events.   Below is the latest version of the historical plate for Ohio, which has been pretty much the same for the last 40+ years, if not longer.

Until last year, Ohio required both a front and rear plate on all vehicles, but now only the rear plate is mandatory.  

Ohio does allow for a Year Of Issue plate to be displayed as a single plate or a matching pair; if it is the latter, the historical plate must be provided if so requested by a law enforcement officer.  

As for pricing, the historical plates on both of my vehicles were obtained for a one-time fee of $15, and is good for life for the same ownership of the vehicle; the YOI plate requires a one-time fee of $5.   I should note that mine were obtained in 1996 and 2007, so the fees in Ohio may have changed since then.

2DD071C2-5CB5-4247-B5EB-C471A4AB4A6B.gif

B9E2A6C3-33A4-4E71-861B-89589E1BA6F8.jpeg

I forgot to mention, we have YOM plates here in VA also.;)

15 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Not in Maryland, any and every body with a 20 yo car has them!! Way over abused. There are limitations but nothing is enforced and with the exception of the guys that abuse the pickups it would be hard to enforce. 

I saw a lot of this when I lived in BelAir, MD.  Old heaps---obviously NOT being restored --with rusty floppy fenders.  Yes, i wish the police would crack down on those who misues Antique Plates.  Knowing Maryland, they would be likely to just ban all Antique Plates to get rid of the violators, and that would hurt us all.

• Like 3

43215281721_c1425be3e7_c.jpg2018-07-05_09-19-58 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

MD also allows YOM plates. These are what I have on my car. You need to have a historic tag registered then the yom is permitted. My vehicle registration has my historic plate no. on it. You must keep those tags in the car. Mine are still in the original bag from the dmv in the trunk. My yom tags were a limited edition for the Bicentennial. My car was built late summer 1976 and the sticker on the tag is for 1977 so its appropriate. It was one of the first times that the state offered a 'special' tag. Its amazing how many people will comment on them having never seen them before. The girl at the dmv didnt even know what they were! Mom had a pair on her Cordoba when I was a kid and when I found a pair at Carlisle it was a no brainer.

The MD historic tags look just like our regular tag only says 'historic' at the bottom.

We also have a 50 year tag for cars that are over 50 years old. I had one of the first ones issued by the state on one of my motorcycles but cannot remember now what the difference/advantage of these are. Having a historic tag means no emissions testing where applicable, and the registration cost is something like $25 a year. That is why so many people with crap boxes abuse the system.

• Like 1

To add to what Joe states, if you have the wrong plates on your car and get into an accident your insurance could be in jeopardy and you will have the person you crashed into's lawyers salivating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Michigan offers a historic vehicle plate good for 25yrs and you can register plates from year of vehicle mfg.  I started with the historic vehicle plate on the 31 Buick and later found a really nice set of restored 1931 Michigan plates.  You have to be a little careful with year of mfg. plates because often the DMV will do a search to make sure the plates you are trying to register are not already registered to another vehicle.  In Michigan you have to submit a photo of the year of mfg. plates and a check for $35 via snail mail.  You will then get either a registration back in the mail if plates are accepted or you get your check back with a regrets letter.  Yer of expiration for regular historic vehicle plates is handled by sticker.

20230927_105857.jpg

LP 002.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

Maryland YOM plates need to be inspected at the dmv. They check the no. to make sure its not in use, then they check condition of the tag. The ironic part is that to register an antique car for the road there is NO inspection needed, BUT the antique license plate does need one? There is no additional fee on top of the historic tag fee.

In California, there appears to be four choices:

1.  Regular registration plates, but with a variety of available designs.

2.  The old “black plates”. These were brought back for older cars but have become very popular among owners of new black SUVs and sedans.

3. YOM plates. First must go through a DMV search to make sure they are not in use. Also need to have the correct clip on year tag for the upper right corner of the plate.

4. traditional antique/classic plates. One time registration fee but restrictions on use of the vehicle.

If you live in a region where vehicles must be smog checked, I believe the cutoff is 25 years.  I have been able to avoid smogging because I live 6 miles north of the “border”.

4 minutes ago, DrData said:

In California, there appears to be four choices:

1.  Regular registration plates, but with a variety of available designs.

2.  The old “black plates”. These were brought back for older cars but have become very popular among owners of new black SUVs and sedans.

3. YOM plates. First must go through a DMV search to make sure they are not in use. Also need to have the correct clip on year tag for the upper right corner of the plate.

4. traditional antique/classic plates. One time registration fee but restrictions on use of the vehicle.

If you live in a region where vehicles must be smog checked, I believe the cutoff is 25 years.  I have been able to avoid smogging because I live 6 miles north of the “border”.

There is not a one time fee you are charged each year

smog goes back to 1976

The odd thing about New York State DMV, Year of Manufacture Plates, is that you need to send in a picture of "original, unrestored plates" to get approved. I have a friend with rusty, unreadable 1932 plates and they were approved. They are so unreadable, that he has never in 10 years gotten a bill from an  E-Z Pass reader, but a beautifully restored pair of plates can't be used. What most people do is have their plates restored after they are approved. 

RI has an antique plate for cars 25 years old. The law was recently liberalized and, as a result, is now widely abused. YOM plates are impossible because all of the early numbers are still in use, mostly by pols and other big wigs who derive some sort of curious status from having an "early" number. Personally, I think the 25 year rule is ridiculous. It may have made sense 50 years ago but now it's just an invitation to register a rusty beater as an "antique." This does not bode well for serious enthusiasts since the reaction, when it comes, may well hurt all of us.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I've got authentic (i.e. YOM) plates on both of my antique cars and my two 40+ yr old motorcycles. I occasionally drive/ride them to work, but I carry a copy of the statute with me:

image.png.fe627ccc18154c50668af3a6f931f910.png

That "mechanical testing" clause is almost always true, as I'm constantly wrenching on these things and need to ensure that my repairs are successful and robust.

• Like 1

I have YOM plates (NY) on my old cars.  They aren't daily drivers, so they're registered as 'historical' (a prerequisite for YOM plates in NY).  IMHO the YOM plates really add to the authenticity of the cars; modern plates just don't look right to me on classic, otherwise stock appearing cars.

image.jpeg.2bcf5f2990cc7de844f62a11f4432af6.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Hi Frank. Virginia is a superb of Washington, DC., and it is nearly impossible to go anywhere near D.C. without going into Virginia. I mention this because we both know of a much talked about 1967 Corvette, presently being kept in a garage in Washington, Delaware. I have searched high and low in an attempt to see where this Corvette is registered, and if its owner has it registered as a “collector” car with a one time licensing requirement and some serious restrictions regarding how and where it may be driven.

DC is bordered by VA on the south, MD to the north. That particular car in question I believe is in Delaware about 2 hrs or so north of DC. Del. has a couple of options as far as historic plates. Realistically, I doubt this car is even driven anymore! My brothers uncle in law lived next door to the DE residence.

True, this Corvette's owner will never be allowed to drive it (or any vehicle) on the public streets again. So why bother to continue to register it? Oh, so others might drive it to keep it in running condition.👍

• Like 1

In Missouri, the choice is a newly issued antique plate or YOM. The YOM are considered antique plates and the car is restricted to 1,000 miles per year, as with antique plates, but I’ve never been checked. Initial registration for YOM is valid indefinitely. Like Michigan, a picture of the plate, a check for about $30 and request form is mailed and you get a response approved or denied. Denial would result if the same number combination already issued.

18 hours ago, LARRYCAROL said:

NJ has one time charge only. I have heard of people being stopped for using car as daily driver, cop saw same car every day and pulled him over . No vehicle inspection needed. 

IMG_3669.jpeg

In Belgium it is 30 years and to get these plates the car has to be original. no other big engine, different brakes, chassis etc... and ! technical 100% correct.

• Like 1

I have been running the New York State YOM plates for decades. They cost $25 per year and require insurance noted as Historic or Antique. The cars are required to pass an annual safety inspection. My whole insurance and license package for the cars is very reasonable. I am glad I can get it and follow the the restrictions closely.

It has always been easy to come up with a nice plate for the year I need. Once I bought a collection of 5,000 license plates that I sold on Ebay one plate or pair at a time. That was back when my daughter started college. She wanted to join a sorority and asked for $1,000 for the initiation fee. I asked her about it being a prestigious organization. And asked if it would be appropriate to join with money that her father got from selling old license plates. There was no hesitation from her of the sorority on taking that money.

The last batch of those plates went to Dolly World. There may still be a few hanging on the walls as souvenirs.