Tri Five Chevy Conversions

Steve_Mack_CT

I almost posted this one in the not mine section for discussion, but thought it might be an interesting enough topic for here.

Ok, relatively common black 57 2 door sedan, V8, red interior.  Nice enough car and the type of tri five I might want to add back to the garage so I follow these. (Selling mine was one of 3 regrets over the years).

The interesting thing, it is a converted 4 door sedan. A CL listing around $30k  I recall crude, doorhandles removed, back doors welded shut conversions back in the day but this one is pretty darn good. 

I have researched it a bit and I guess it is a thing, of sorts for tri fives.  The body style must lend itself to this type of surgery.

Blasphemy, a bitsa, or harmless good idea?  I will say seller is 100% up front which is nice to see.  

00w0w_4z1RTwmHsfD_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

01414_dsFCVHPDCva_0ic0a1_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

I have a buddy with a beautiful resto modded 57. When he was looking for a car to build I had my eyes out. There was what looked like a solid base at a local junk yard of all places with a stupid asking price of something like 5k! I called him and sent a picture. He was hesitant but came over and we went and looked at it anyway. Turns out it was a 4 door sedan that had the back doors welded in to make a 2 door. I had no idea people did that kind of thing and was a bit embarrassed that I led him astray. He had already figured it out from the pics I sent but wanted to see it anyway. 

Personally I would never buy one that has been altered this way. 

I have no issue with it as long as the seller is up-front about it.  It's no different than cloning a 440-6 Challenger R/T from a 318 car.  Given that complete, brand-new, '57 Chevy bodies are available, it's possible to do a factory-correct conversion on Tri-5 Chevys by replacing the doors and quarters.  The roof is the tricky part and it looks like this one was well done.

• Like 3

A lot of effort to do the job of weld and shut properly  and then have the issue of the front seat being able to move to have access to the rear seat to sit in. I am not in favor of modifieds and I like 4 door cars, but to each their own I guess. Not totally against but neither in favor .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

The last few 1957 Chevy 2-door sedans in good condition that I've sold didn't cost much more than the $30,000 they're asking for that chopped up sedan.

Don't confuse asking price with what it cost them to build the car.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Don't confuse asking price with what it cost them to build the car.

No, I certainly don't make that mistake. However, if Steve is looking at a cut-up 4-door for $30,000, it's probably useful to know that I sold this real 2-door sedan for about $32,000.

001.JPG.49a9ee167f868b0a475a599a898d8ded.JPG

Or he could have a real-deal hardtop for less than $35,000. I sold this one for $34,000.

001.JPG.d80b9a8dbd5f81577c70851c88440ca0.JPG

Admittedly they weren't perfect, but they were good cruisers and casual show cars. Prices on 2-door sedans aren't astronomical, which is why I'm puzzled by people making the investment to convert 4-doors. In fact, the whole Tri-Five market is quietly imploding and has been for the last 10 years. It's happening in slow motion so nobody really notices, but prices are off about 40% from where they were in 2008 or so. Good cars are out there at reasonable prices. Why settle for a cut-up car?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good info Matt.  On the smaller scale I’ve had a tough time selling 1:64 versions of tri-five Chevrolet cars and some early Corvettes.  In my booth at the antique mall now I have a Ertl die cast 1:18 1957 Chevy Bel-Air convertible in the iconic turquoise and white colors and no one seems to be interested in it. It’s only priced at $18.  On the other hand I had a 1:24 Diecast Pinto and 1:24 Gremlin that sold after just two days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 76 Caddy said:

DD Speed Shop on Youtube takes you through the process of converting 4 door cars into 2 doors.  Interesting how he does it.

Tim

I watch that guy on YouTube. He does nothing close to the caliber of what's shown above. Frankly, he's kind of a hack, but he's fun to watch (sometimes). He also doesn't try to misrepresent anything as being something else. So, nothing lost there. He makes his living as a youtuber, not as a guy who sells the cars that he works on. 

Just for materials, you're looking at $6k

realdealsteel.com/i-23901525-1957-chevy-4-door-sedan-to-2-door-sedan-sheetmetal-conversion-kit.html

They also say that you still would have to do extensive cutting and welding. Not sure how much you would have to pay a skilled fabricator to make all of that Sheetmetal fit.  Then you have to replace most of the interior. Add to that the upfront cost of a decent donor car and it seems like you could easily fly past $30K. 

• Like 1

Interesting discussion gents, one clarification though -this car is at market for an authentic 2 door sedan, and I am not interested in buying, just thought the conversion was interesting.  It looked well done to my eye but these are just CL pics..

Agree on Nomads and sport sedans, but I like most tri fives myself. 😊

• Like 1

If someone has more time then money and has the skills, and desires a two door this might be the easiest path to get attain one.  It is not a simple task to make it look right the front door on a four door is about 6" shorter, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, and then to finish it in black, you have to be a pretty good metal guy for it to come out looking good.

At least he got done! how many similar projects (dreams) end up as "shelves" in garages all over the world, never to be finished! 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, John348 said:

If someone has more time then money and has the skills, and desires a two door this might be the easiest path to get attain one.  It is not a simple task to make it look right the front door on a four door is about 6" shorter, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, and then to finish it in black, you have to be a pretty good metal guy for it to come out looking good.

At least he got done! how many similar projects (dreams) end up as "shelves" in garages all over the world, never to be finished! 

John, exactly.  Seller notes it was his dad's car and a gift to his father from his mother in 94.  So at some point in nearly 30 years, the idea was hatched and executed.  I thought it was a cool one off but apparently others have done it with varying levels of success.

@Matt Harwood curious what's your take on 50s cars in general, same decline?  Same can be said about  55- 57 Tbirds I suspect, maybe more so.

• Like 1

I was offered a near mint condition 1956 Bel Air 4 door sedan just yesterday. Turquoise and white, same on the inside. 235 PG. Owner is getting out of old cars and wants my opinion and appraisal on selling price. This after he told me of the extravagant amount spent on restoration by his family. I told him I will ask around my group of friends. One guy suggested the same treatment, make it into a 2 door. Would end up well north of $40k. 

Then today I find out my cousin wants to sell his 1956 210 (Delray) factory built 2 door sedan, also 235 PG in blue and white. Virtually in the same condition for approx $30k. Even though these prices are in Canadian dollars they are both quite high to me. BUT, a running driving factory 2 door, cruise nite ready vs. a 4 door nice driver is a no-brainer.  As Matt states, these cars are on the down slide as are a lot of 50's cars. The Tri 5 Chevy 4 door sedans are not an attractive car from the side view. My opinion only!

What difference on the side view of a 2 door sedan and a 4 door sedan? Just a missing door handle? Roofline the same, trim the same, dip in greenhouse bottom edge the same. I am speaking of a 57 Chevy. Just the 6" longer front door.

There's a rat rod guy on you tube who's always doing that to tri-five Chevrolets. He seems like a nice guy, and I'm sure he isn't made of money, but part of me wants to slap him upside the head when I see him do that to old cars.

Believe it or not, though, there's even a worse way to make a two door out of a four door '57 Chevy...and it's more common than you'd think. Such a project isn't a sign of how much you love two doors, it's a sign of how much you hate four doors. I don't hate any configuration of car enough to do this to it. 

1957-chevrolet-bel-air-shorty-is-a-butchered-barn-find-159116_1.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

What difference on the side view of a 2 door sedan and a 4 door sedan?

It's that little triangular window between the door glass and 'C' pillar.  It does look more cluttered than the 2-door sedan without it.

File:1956 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-Door Sedan.jpg - Wikipedia

That problem was addressed by the 4 door hardtop (like mine)...

1956 Chevy Bel Air 4 Door Hardtop | Classic cars chevy, 1956 chevy bel air,  Chevy bel air

And finally, the 2 door sedan:

1956 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Door Sedan

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

What difference on the side view of a 2 door sedan and a 4 door sedan? Just a missing door handle? Roofline the same, trim the same, dip in greenhouse bottom edge the same. I am speaking of a 57 Chevy. Just the 6" longer front door.

I think there is a difference in the back window?

Sorry, I jumped the gun before I saw the above post.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I think there is a difference in the back window?

Sorry, I jumped the gun before I saw the above post.

Both the rear and front glass are the same on the sedans, sport sedans or four door hard tops the windshield is the same as the coupes and convertibles the rear window is unique to that body style

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The picture above isn't my car, but is one I found online just like it.  The back glass on mine was actually replaced circa 1969. It was parked in the driveway in front of my grandparent's house and my grandmother went out to go somewhere and discovered the back window was broken.  She found a connecting rod laying on the back seat.  I still remember her showing it to me.  Brings new meaning to "throwing a rod"!  Fortunately they were able to get the glass replaced without any trouble.  I'm guessing the process was very much like replacing a windshield.

Here's an early picture of my car.

image.jpeg.0c59039ad666e79ddf6cdffad0acc87c.jpeg

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 6:53 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Women have a good eye for things. Ask any one and they will tell you six inches makes all the difference! 😉 

• Haha 3

My copy of Rolling Sculpture says the iconic Duesenberg radiator ornament was based on the low cost of labor and the high cost of tooling. I don't imagine many of those conversions were commissioned at the going labor rate.

If anyone is offended by these Chevies here is why my late friend Mike called me "The George Barris of the East".

001.jpg.33a76688e8a8ecb3cf9e5bb2bb9863d5.jpg

002.jpg.b79bdd76e953ab300f905768ed48ef62.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 9:53 PM, Frank DuVal said:

The rear door and rear quarter window just kill the looks for me. My personal opinion only!  I'm not a Tri 5 fan and prefer the 55-57 Ford's or Plymouth's.

The conversions make a lot of sense for people operating on a budget, or limited funds. If you can do the work yourself, you can get the body style you desire, at a better buy in price. Maybe? What surprises me, is that people do not customize the cars while doing the conversions. When it is done, you will not have a two door hardtop by the numbers, or a convertible. You will have a rebodied sedan. So why restore it, if you build a custom while changing the body style. You would have a better shot at a higher resale value, if your styling choices and quality of work are there. It is all fun stuff to do, lots of people convert Mercury sedans into coupes 49-51. I think there are kits to turn your Mustang into a fastback. If purchasing a cars from an investment standpoint, you would be better off buying an original car in the original body style you are wanting.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, 60FlatTop said:

My copy of Rolling Sculpture says the iconic Duesenberg radiator ornament was based on the low cost of labor and the high cost of tooling. I don't imagine many of those conversions were commissioned at the going labor rate.

If anyone is offended by these Chevies here is why my late friend Mike called me "The George Barris of the East".

001.jpg.33a76688e8a8ecb3cf9e5bb2bb9863d5.jpg

002.jpg.b79bdd76e953ab300f905768ed48ef62.jpg

Is that the famous "Soupe DeVille"?  ^_^