FANTASTIC old cars you dislike for purely emotional reasons?

JamesR

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Most posts here don't quite fit James' criteria.  I tried thinking of this based solely on emotion, and it was not easy.  To me style and mechanicals are not emotional.  I got one.

Triumph TR-7, never owned one and, when compared to a Fiat X/19 or some other contemporaries, they are not horrible looking.  The later convertibles & the TR-8 look even better.  BUT emotionally all I see is the car that killed Triumph.

Oddly, the Stag may have been equally responsible but I don't have that reaction with those.

And people around me say I am not an emotional guy...

TR 7's are pretty decent cars to drive. But the engine and 4 speed gearbox really let it down.  { the later 5 speed cars fixed 1/2 the problem. } TR 8's are good cars in nearly every regard. Any really good TR 7 survivor can easily be either turned into a TR 8 or fitted with a GM V6 and 5 speed. Either route works well.

Stag's have a lot more problems. The V8 version of the engine is if anything even worse than the 4 cyl { overheating then warped heads }. The 7's and 8's would be future candidates for ownership in my eyes, the Stag I will leave for others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

BUT emotionally all I see is the car that killed Triumph.

Oddly, the Stag may have been equally responsible but I don't have that reaction with those.

Yes, a car's place in history is another element that influences people's feelings about it. It can have a big negative impact on how you perceive a car. For example, Hitler's Mercedes (the big parade car) was a beautiful car that many people understandably hate. I'd also heard that the type of Lincoln convertible President Kennedy was assassinated in had depressed values among collectors for years because of that association, though when I brought that up on this forum a few years ago some folks said that wasn't the case.  I think archduke Ferdinand was killed in a car, too, but I don't know what kind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Triumph TR-7, never owned one and, when compared to a Fiat X/19 or some other contemporaries, they are not horrible looking.  The later convertibles & the TR-8 look even better.  BUT emotionally all I see is the car that killed Triumph.

It was company mismanagement and the militant labor union that killed Triumph, and the rest of the marques built by them at the time.  The build quality was atrocious, and it really showed when compared to the up-and-coming Japanese manufacturers when it was introduced.    The TR-7 was the right car for the time, as convertibles were threatened to be outlawed, which never did happen.  And when that came to pass, B-L responded with a convertible version two years later.   Later, when the 4-cylinder was considered to be too 'anemic', Triumph responded with the TR-8 with a proven V8 engine that was still offered in Range Rovers until the 2000's.  There was no reason for Triumph to fail.  Datsun never did offer a convertible version of its 240/260/280Z, and the closed version still sold very well.   One can only put the blame on British Leyland with their internal production problems, and workers who didn't give a sh*t about the product which paid their wages.

Craig

• Like 3

@1912Staver @8E45E guys I get it. Logic, history and facts say one thing.  But as @JamesR notes, this is emotion we are speaking about.

Another interesting turn this discussion could take is what level does emotion play in purchasing a collector car.  We generally accept a lot, I think. Afyer all, it has been said one is buying a dream as much as a car.  Smart sellers know this. New car dealers count on this as well.

2 guys go to buy a car. 

1st guy bases the decision solely on facts, reports and finances.  Heck, if he can save $50, that weird color is just fine...

The other is excited, and that model with a few more options caught his eye.  He can get it today even...

Who would you rather sell to?  Actually, who would you rather have a beer with?? 😉😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Lots of people hated those Darts and Valiants because they refused to die no matter how much they neglected and abused them. All they needed was an excuse to buy a new car but the old slant six kept chugging along until they grew to hate it.

...or discovered that someone already used the replacement ballast resistor in the glove box.  ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Another interesting turn this discussion could take is what level does emotion play in purchasing a collector car.  

I've been watching this thread hoping it would turn in the direction you touched on.

My most liked car for emotional reasons would be the 1970 GTX in Lime Light Green simply because of my older brother and his post Air Force days. I'm not into any 1970s vehicles but that car brings back so many positive memories it's hard not to have an emotional attachment to it. For that reason I think if I was in the market for a pre 1972 muscle car that would be at the top of my list for sentimental reasons followed by a triple black 1968 Cuda Fastback as a close 2nd.

On the other hand I don't really have a vehicle that I disliked for emotional reasons, but if I had to name one it would be the 1979-82 Chevette. I really don't think it needs an explanation... but then again, that POS has never fit into a fantastic category.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

On 3/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Akstraw said:

I usually find something to like in just about anything made for the road.  Having said that, I personally have never seen the attraction in “T-bucket” hot rods.  I also wonder why they are always listed as ‘23’s (not ‘22, not ‘24, etc.  Weren’t all the T’s pretty much the same for lots of years?).  Not trying to offend any T-bucket fans.  I respect that the car hobby has lots of facets, and encourage each and every hobbyist to pursue their own passion.

Most of the "T-Buckets" are not really Ford products, they ar 100% Fiberglass bodies.  No antique Cars were damaged in this project.  not mine

IMG_26281.JPG.4ce7e4dca324799e51524476e968f081.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Most of the "T-Buckets" are not really Ford products, they ar 100% Fiberglass bodies.  No antique Cars were damaged in this project.  not mine

IMG_26281.JPG.4ce7e4dca324799e51524476e968f081.JPG

Blasting around town with dad in this thing is something this kid won't likely forget! 😊👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Blasting around town with dad in this thing is something this kid won't likely forget! 😊👍

Sad part is, he has to be strapped like a prisoner in a straightjacket to the seat with all the safety laws these days; especially young ones like him.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:
On 3/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, DonMicheletti said:

I always heard that the comparison was between a Porcupine and BMW

I told that one to the guy across the street whose car goes missing (in a shop somewhere) regularly.

This is his second Beemer since I have known him. I guess some are just hooked and hope that they found the problem this time.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I told that one to the guy across the street whose car goes missing (in a shop somewhere) regularly.

This is his second Beemer since I have known him. I guess some are just hooked and hope that they found the problem this time.

I've found that people will put up with a whole lot more crap, aggravation, overpriced parts and service, and utter unreliability from a Beemer than they will from any other make of car.

There's a reason no one but a BMW dealer will offer a warranty on a used BMW, and even then only on a select few.

That goes past emotion and into S&M territory IMO.😬

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Lots of people hated those Darts and Valiants because they refused to die no matter how much they neglected and abused them. All they needed was an excuse to buy a new car but the old slant six kept chugging along until they grew to hate it.

I've been having that discussion with myself about my 2002 Altima SE.

It's been an amazingly trouble free car since new and now has 250k miles on it.

I really enjoy the car but I have been thinking about getting rid of it before I start to hate it.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Akstraw said:

I usually find something to like in just about anything made for the road.  Having said that, I personally have never seen the attraction in “T-bucket” hot rods.  I also wonder why they are always listed as ‘23’s (not ‘22, not ‘24, etc.  Weren’t all the T’s pretty much the same for lots of years?).  Not trying to offend any T-bucket fans.  I respect that the car hobby has lots of facets, and encourage each and every hobbyist to pursue their own passion.

P.S.   T o clarify, that is not the owners son, it's the previous owner's kid.   The new owner is a life long friend's son who watched me for 40 years

and decided he was going to do a total restoration on a 1970 GTO.    HE took the body off the chassis and sent it out to be done.  While it was

gone he rstored the chassis and running gear.  Meanwhile two body shops falled to finish the Body & Paint work.   He kept buying stuff to finish it

like trim and interior, wheels, tires, glass etc.   The engine was installed in the chassis and ran well.   He developed back back problems and lost

a lot of interest.   When to body finally came back, he mounted it on the chassis and discoverd poor body & Paint work and the guy who did it

went out of business.  A couple of back surgeries later, there was no interst left in the GTO.    A friend of his had this T Bucket and thought he

could finish the GTO.  Deal done and another sad story of a failed restoration ends.  I have yet to ride in it, but he's rewiring it all.IMG_26281.JPG.4ce7e4dca324799e51524476e968f081.JPG

20 hours ago, zepher said:

I've been having that discussion with myself about my 2002 Altima SE.

It's been an amazingly trouble free car since new and now has 250k miles on it.

I really enjoy the car but I have been thinking about getting rid of it before I start to hate it.

That L31 is an amazing car. 3.5 VQ has been on the list of the 10 best engines in the world for well over 10 years. I was pissed NISSAN dropped the V-6 and coupe in later model years. It probably had something to do with taking sales from Maxima.

I assume this is a 4-speed automatic. Still, 250K is 250K. Probably still a rocket ship!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 8:14 PM, JamesR said:

I think archduke Ferdinand was killed in a car, too, but I don't know what kind.

Graft und Stift...there is supposed to be an umlaut over the "a" in Graft. I would like to own one. Conversely, I wouldn't take a muscle car as a gift and I've never liked Cord's.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have two different thoughts…. First, style and color are very important to me!  While I may love the style of a particular car, if it is powder/baby blue, I quickly loose interest. Conversely, one of my favorite colors from the 50’s/early 60’s is sea foam green!  Not that different from powder blue!  Second, I commuted on a Harley from Alexandria to Washington DC for over ten years, full protective gear, loud pipes, but very alert and conservative.  The cars I had to be extra careful around were typically from Germany!  Audis and BMWs were the worst and Mercedes weren’t too far behind, so I have an emotional dislike for all of them!

On 3/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, alsancle said:

I was 50 years old before a buddy of mine who is  into some of the same musclecars as me explained that convertibles were for "chicks".   Since then I have heard it from more guys.   I typically leave the tops up on all my cars anyways and have gotten more in to close cars in my old age.   

When I was in HS I HAD to have a GTO Convertible.  If I had known then that I could have gotten away with a hardtop I could have saved a lot of money.

Just the opposite for me - and have always been that way, ever since 1959 in my Senior year of high school and my 1949 Pontiac convertible. Other than a few 4-door sedan commuters for my wife and myself. Convertible tops don't go up unless the rain is substantial - or when on tour, not garaged and parked overnight ! All my serious collectibles are open cars (the pair of 1995s are the exception - the Grand Marquis was my parents' last car, and the Fleetwood represents the last if its breed).

Edited by Marty Roth
additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

That L31 is an amazing car. 3.5 VQ has been on the list of the 10 best engines in the world for well over 10 years. I was pissed NISSAN dropped the V-6 and coupe in later model years. It probably had something to do with taking sales from Maxima.

I assume this is a 4-speed automatic. Still, 250K is 250K. Probably still a rocket ship!

The 2002 Altima SE was the fastest 4 door at the time, with a 0-60 time of 5.9.

I saw quite a few stock 3rd gen Altimas run low 14's in the 1/4 mile all day long.

With minor bolts-ons and some ECU work there were a few in the mid 13's.

My Altima has been extremely reliable and yes, it still gets up and runs, even with all those miles on it.

I still love to mash the throttle going up an onramp, it always amazes me how well it runs for a car with that many miles.

I believe you are correct in that the Altima had to cut into Maxima sales. When I bought my 2002 in late 2001, my mom had a 1998 Maxima and that same generation Maxima was still for sale when the new L31 Altima came out.

I wondered why anyone would buy the higher priced Maxima when the L31 was just as roomy and could be had with the exact same drivetrain.

Other than basic maintenance, all I have had to do in 250k miles is, one starter, one fuel injector, the fuel pressure regulator for the injector fuel rail and one fuel pump.

The fuel pump didn't fail but the plastic around the nipple for the fuel line connection started to crack and I could smell gas outside the car every now and then.

Even today, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it cross country if I had to.

There is little wonder as to why the VQ was on the 10 best list for well over a decade.

• Like 1