What other manufactures offered one speed electric wipers

junkyardjeff

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Oldsmobile (and I suspect most non-Cadillac GM)

True for Chevrolet.

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

GM stuck to vacuum wipers until 1959.

Our 58 Chevrolet had electric wipers. And it was a Biscayne, so I doubt it was an upsell option!😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Our 58 Chevrolet had electric wipers. And it was a Biscayne, so I doubt it was an upsell option!😉

Very interesting.  Cadillac and Buick were vacuum only in 1958.  My 1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser has factory electric wipers. 

Every 1964 Malibu I have owned, it's only been 3 of them, has had single speed wipers though I did jokingly refer to them as two speed wipers - Off and On.

I can only get my hands on a 1948 Beetle owner's manual, nothing before that, however the 48's have one speed 6-volt wiper motors. I think the 38-47 do too. 

1966 VW Beetle has a one speed 6Volt electric motor.

1967 VW Deluxe Beetle has a 12-volt 2 speed wiper motor,

1967 1200 "A" and 1200 "A" Custom have a one speed 6-volt electric motor that is non-self-parking. 

The last 6-volt beetle, a 1975 1200L has a 2 speed 6-volt   

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

My 52 Plymouth has one speed electric wipers(slow)

...Same for my 1951 Plymouth - one speed electric wipers.  If I recall correctly, 1950 Plymouth was the last of the vacuum wipers for Plymouth in the USA.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Oldsmobile (and I suspect most non-Cadillac GM) used single-speed wipers thru 1964 on lower and mid-line full-size cars and at least 1967 on intermediates. Two-speed with washer were extra-cost option.

Actually, Glenn, 1965 was the last model year that Olds offered single speed wipers. Two speed was RPO C14, an $18.48 option that year. By the 1966 model year, even the lowly F85 base model came with two speed wipers as standard equipment. From the 1966 SPECS booklet:

1966 wipers.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, 61polara said:

Very interesting.  Cadillac and Buick were vacuum only in 1958.

You'd think GM's two premium Divisions would have adopted electric wipers before then, especially after moving away from hydro-electric seats and windows to all-electric a few years earlier.

Could have been tied to generator output limitations? Yet Chrysler Corporation, Studebaker and possibly other independents had them, powered by generators?

On 10/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, junkyardjeff said:

My recent 65 Galaxie purchase is the third 60s Ford that had one speed wipers and was wondering was it just Ford or did others offer it too. 

Keep in mind that 4th generation Ford Thunderbirds had variable speed wipers, but they were hydraulic powered (from the power steering system). That started in '64. I'm not sure whether 3rd gen cars, which started in '61, had them too. Regardless, that setup may have been specific to Thunderbird, at least within the Ford division. All of this makes me think of that movie with Greg Kinear. What year did Ford start offering intermittent wipers? '67 or '68?

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

Keep in mind that 4th generation Ford Thunderbirds had variable speed wipers, but they were hydraulic powered (from the power steering system). That started in '64. I'm not sure whether 3rd gen cars, which started in '61, had them too. Regardless, that setup may have been specific to Thunderbird, at least within the Ford division. All of this makes me think of that movie with Greg Kinear. What year did Ford start offering intermittent wipers? '67 or '68?

Ford introduced the hydraulic wipers on the Lincoln in 1961.  Thunderbird may have received them at the same time, I'm not sure.   They are wonderful wipers with infinite speed control.  If they are adjusted right, they will even park for a short time at the end of each sweep.  Chrysler offered variable speed electric wipers for many years as an option.  My '61 Dodge and '70 Challenger both have them. 

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

From Hemmings,

GM vehicles used vacuum-operated wiper motors until 1957; however, the unreliability of the vacuum supply from the fuel pump, especially at idle, caused the wiper blades to creep across the windshield at a time when they were needed the most.

Electric wiper motors were first used in 1955 Corvette V-8 and full-size Pontiac models, and factory-option retrofit kits were available to convert from vacuum to electric on 1955-'57 Chevrolets that were based on these early electric motors and included new arms and wiper blades to complete the changeover kit.

Electric motors had replaced the vacuum units entirely for GM cars by 1958 and trucks by 1959. The Cam-O-Matic wiper system used cables that attached to the wiper arms to better hold the blades to a curved windshield. These systems were invented by Trico Products and used on many Buicks and Cadillacs for several years during the 1950s. These cars can be distinguished by the additional Cam-O-Matic dogleg that was part of the wiper arms.

• 1955-'56 Corvette

• 1955-'56 Pontiac

• 1956 Buick Special and Century, except Cam-O-Matic

• 1956 Buick Special and Century with Cam-O-Matic

• 1956 Oldsmobile

• 1957 Buick Special and Century, Roadmaster and Super with Cam-O-Matic

• 1957-'58 Buick Special and Century and Super without Cam-O-Matic

• 1957 Chevrolet

• 1957 Corvette

• 1957 Oldsmobile

• 1957-'58 Cadillac

• 1957 Pontiac

• 1958 Chevrolet

• 1958 all Buicks with Cam-O-Matic

• 1958 Oldsmobile

• 1958 Pontiac

• 1958-'62 Corvette

• 1959-'62 Buick; 1959-'62 Cadillac and 1963-'65 75 series, and commercial chassis; 1959-'60 Olds; 1961-'62 Pontiac two-speed

• 1959-'61 Buick, including 1961 Special; 1959-'61 Chevrolet, Pontiac; 1960-'61 Corvair; 1959-'62 Oldsmobile; 1961-'62 F-85 one-speed

• 1961 Special, Corvair; 1961-'62 F-85; 1963 Jetfire two-speed

• 1962 Buick, Chevrolet one-speed

• 1962 Chevy II, Corvair one-speed

• 1962 Chevy II, Corvair two-speed

• 1962 Special one-speed

• 1962 Special two-speed

• 1962 Pontiac one-speed

• 1962 Chevrolet; 1963-'66 Corvette; 1961-'62 Olds Delta 88; 1959-60 Pontiac two-speed

• 1963-'64 Buick one-speed

• 1963 Special one-speed

• 1963-'65 Chevy II, Corvair; 1964-'65 Special; 1964-65 Che-velle; 1965 F-85 one-speed

• 1963-'67 Chevy II; 1964-'69 Corvair; 1964-'67 Special; 1966-'67 F-85; 1963-'68 Jeep station wagon, Jeepster; 1969-'72 Blazer; 1966 Che-velle; 1967 Firebird, Tempest with rectangular motor two-speed

• 1963-'64 Buick; 1963 (late production)-'64 Olds; 1963-'64 Pontiac, Cadillac except 75 and commercial chassis two-speed

• 1963-'65 Chevrolet two-speed

• 1963-'64 Chevrolet; 1963 Olds (early production); 1964 Che-velle, F-85 two-speed

• 1963 Special, F-85 two-speed

• 1963-'64 Olds, Pontiac one-speed

• 1963 F-85 except Jetfire one-speed

• 1965 Buick, Olds one-speed

• 1965 Chevrolet; 1965 Chevelle; 1965 F-85 two-speed

• 1966 Chevrolet, Chevelle, F-85 with round motor

• 1965-'66 Buick; 1965 Olds, Cadillac, except 75 and commercial chassis two-speed

• 1965-'66 Cadillac, Olds, Buick, Riviera, and 1966 Toronado two-speed

• 1965 Pontiac one-speed

• 1965 early Pontiac two-speed

• 1965 late-'66 Pontiac

1964 and newer one-speed motors will interchange directly with their two-speed counterparts of the same body style as long as the wiring harness and dash switch are also changed. Some of the above listings are also truck compatible; GM truck wiper motors will be featured in next month's issue and will reference some of these listed passenger car motors.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what that above list is, as 1956 Buick Special and Century had vacuum wipers. At least all the ones I have seen.

Also, lots of vacuum at idle with the exception of high performance cam engines. It is at open throttle conditions, like climbing a hill, that vacuum wipers fail to perform well.

AND, what is Jeep doing on the GM list?😁

11 hours ago, Pfeil said:

1964 and newer one-speed motors will interchange directly with their two-speed counterparts of the same body style as long as the wiring harness and dash switch are also changed.

On my 1962 F85 wagon with one-speed wipers, the wiring includes the provision for the two speed. All I would need to change is the motor and switch. Same thing for the optional backup lights - the harness runs all the way to the back of the car, just the lamp housings themselves are not installed.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:32 AM, 1912Staver said:

Most British cars. The Lucas wiper motor the majority of British cars used was one speed. Millions of them.

Yup, and way back when most US cars were only vacuum wiper. My 33 Austin has a Lucas one-speed electric wiper.

Paul

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

On my 1962 F85 wagon with one-speed wipers, the wiring includes the provision for the two speed. All I would need to change is the motor and switch. Same thing for the optional backup lights - the harness runs all the way to the back of the car, just the lamp housings themselves are not installed.

I should write the articles author for Hemmings a note about that!

My 1961 full sized Mercury has factory original vacuum windshield wipers. They changed to electric mid year. That has to be one of the latest US applications of that wiper technology. Seems like FoMoCo was behind the curve compared to everyone else.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, 41 Su8 said:

Model A Fords offered both vacuum and electric wipers.

True but IIRC, electric was offered only in early production and maybe only on certain models.  I believe Ford ultimately went to all vacuum, probably because they were cheaper.  Also, some early commercials had hand-operated wipers.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

My 1961 full sized Mercury has factory original vacuum windshield wipers. They changed to electric mid year. That has to be one of the latest US applications of that wiper technology. Seems like FoMoCo was behind the curve compared to everyone else.

AMC used vacuum wipers on some models up until 72. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

AMC had vacuum, at least until the early 70s on some models.  College roomie bought a new no-option Hornet.  I can't recall the model year but given the time-frame, it would have been the first year or two of production.  It had vacuum standard, electric was optional.  Having previously experienced vacuum, I warned him to spring for electric.  After driving in a hard rain or two, he regretted not listening. :lol:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

AMC had vacuum, at least until the early 70s on some models.  College roomie bought a new no-option Hornet.  I can't recall the model year but given the time-frame, it would have been the first year or two of production.  It had vacuum standard, electric was optional.  Having previously experienced vacuum, I warned him to spring for electric.  After driving in a hard rain or two, he regretted not listening. :lol:

Amazing. I wonder how much a customer saved by getting vacuum instead of electric wipers back then? You'd think that most people buying a new car in the early '70's would've had enough prior negative experience with vacuum wipers to spring for the electric version. My '61 was one of the last cars that FoMoCo made with vacuum wipers, but it seems to me they weren't much better than the wipers in cars that had been made 15 years earlier.

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

My dad had a 61 Comet sedan work car. With the tired 144 it couldn't pull a wet noodle out of a cat's behind but it got twice the gas mileage of his 63 Chevy pickup. It had vacuum wipers which my mother hated. On level ground they worked well enough to see, but uphill or anytime that weenie little yellow engine was under load, forget it!

She finally flat refused to drive the Comet in the rain. Not that she'd leave the comfort of her big Impala that often!😁

The Comet was still around when I got my driver's license and I'd always thought it was a cool little car with its cat-eye taillights, so I figured I'd rebuild its engine in auto-tech school and buzz around in it. I got home from high school one afternoon and it was gone. Mama had called the junk dealer to come get it.

She never did understand me and cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Amazing. I wonder how much a customer saved by getting vacuum instead of electric wipers back then? You'd think that most people buying a new car in the early '70's would've had enough prior negative experience with vacuum wipers to spring for the electric version. My '61 was one of the last cars that FoMoCo made with vacuum wipers, but it seems to me they weren't much better than the wipers in cars that had been made 15 years earlier.

Dunno how much the cost difference was.  But we were poor college students so every penny counted, and roomie was kind of a tightwad anyway.  And he was anything but a gearhead - in fact IIRC, this was his first car.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, CHuDWah said:

Dunno how much the cost difference was.  But we were poor college students so every penny counted, and roomie was kind of a tightwad anyway.  And he was anything but a gearhead - in fact IIRC, this was his first car.

I guess I was not POOR enough to buy a new car!😁

Ben

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I guess I was not POOR enough to buy a new car!😁

Ben

Well, I guess "poor" is relative.  Roomie had a grad assitantship that paid enough to make the payment on a stripped-down Hornet that nobody else wanted, but not much else.

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

My 21 Ram has intermittent wipers that speed up when it rains harder. 

All the way to up full speed inn a deluge.

I wonder how it knows.

That's what I need!  I've had intermittent wipers on several vehicles over the years but they've all been manual.  In Florida it's not uncommon to go from sunny to sprinkles to deluge and back again within a 10-mile drive.  I'm constantly fiddling with the wiper adjustment.