What's wrong with this piston?

Dandy Dave

I had a Model A that the pistons looked somewhat like that, only the top looked fine. Parts of the rings were missing, no clue where they went! It ran also. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zipdang said:

Someone needed an air softener for the combustion air. Must have been in an industrial area...

Yup. The area was definitely industrial. The machine is a Track Master made by Fruehulf. I do believe she has been run hard and put away wet. 😬 😵🤪

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

2 1/2" bore and it lacked power?

It's a square engine Burnie. 3-1/4 X 3-1/4. X 2. Wisconsin model THD. 🙂 Like my ol buddie Rex would say,"Her gots power when her feels good." Here's old Rex. 🙂

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Is that the same company that made/makes trailers?  Right up the road from me. I had no idea.

Yes! They bought out Agricat that became Agritrac that finnished up as Trackmaster. The Track Master is 1/3rd larger than the Agricat Model F in the middle but the same design. Here's some in a line up. L to R, Model C Agricat, Model F Agricat, and Trackmaster. 

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

• Like 5

23 hours ago, oldford said:

Valve head???

I found this in the tool box Frank. Also, the original head would have been Aluminum like the parts engine I aquired yesterday. I think it was swaped for a cast iron head when the valve went south.  

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

Support your local salvage yard. I picked up this parts engine yesterday. Brought her home. Took a nap, ( The down side of Covid does that to ya.) then went to the shop and stripped her down. The cylinder jug and pistons look usable. Clean her up with new rings, gaskets, and a valve job and it should be good to go.

IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After tearing the parts engine completely down and salvaged the jug and needed pistons plus quite a few other parts needed to get this Wisconsin THD back together, here's the end result after doing a valve job, installing new rings, cleaning everything, installing a complete overhaul gasket set with new seals included, and tune up stuff, plus a carb kit for the carburetor that I still need to go through. Eventhough that one piston doesn't smile at me any longer, the engine should be a lot happier. These were a real popular engine in the old days. I wonder if any of these two cylinders versions were used in automobiles?  I did decide to leave the patina. No matter how much you put on, paint don't make em run. 😉 

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dandy Dave said:

Should work fine, Should it not? 🙃 Came out of an engine that ran. Just short on power.

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

Kind of like a christmas tree, just put the bad spot into the corner where it can't be seen and it works just fine!!

Someone changed the head on this engine and left that piston in it?

49 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

After tearing the parts engine completely down and salvaged the jug and needed pistons plus quite a few other parts needed to get this Wisconsin THD back together, here's the end result after doing a valve job, installing new rings, cleaning everything, installing a complete overhaul gasket set with new seals included, and tune up stuff, plus a carb kit for the carburetor that I still need to go through. Eventhough that one piston doesn't smile at me any longer, the engine should be a lot happier. These were a real popular engine in the old days. I wonder if any of these two cylinders versions were used in automobiles?  I did decide to leave the patina. No matter how much you put on, paint don't make em run. 😉 

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

Never saw one but we Wisconsinites are are some clever repurposers. Started out making engines that powered race cars ended up running hay balers.3CEEA17D-7374-435C-BC80-328AB166A47A.jpeg.3a3b414fa74f315f8b07a7724f251b9c.jpeg32E15B55-D1F5-4BA0-8954-E55F61EBE232.jpeg.d4b3e83158a8dc1335fde3bc49722a20.jpegAA6BD4A0-C814-488D-9620-E460A992D5AE.jpeg.05bf42732b14ff60f887ca8c1a607909.jpeg

• Like 3

Dandy Dave……..cool stuff! Love the lineup. Your collection of vehicles seems perfectly  normal to me………..like minds think alike. The rest of the world sure is strange, and I’m especially grateful you and I are both “normal people”!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, NewOldWood said:

Kind of like a christmas tree, just put the bad spot into the corner where it can't be seen and it works just fine!!

Someone changed the head on this engine and left that piston in it?

That is the way it looks. Replaced a valve on that side also. 

20 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Ran when parked,

I actually started it and drove it off the trailer. The choke was almost full on to keep it running. Good thing it was all down hill. After running a short time it acted like it was starting to seize. With that piston the way it was I can now see why.  

22 hours ago, George K said:

Never saw one but we Wisconsinites are are some clever repurposers. Started out making engines that powered race cars ended up running hay balers.3CEEA17D-7374-435C-BC80-328AB166A47A.jpeg.3a3b414fa74f315f8b07a7724f251b9c.jpeg32E15B55-D1F5-4BA0-8954-E55F61EBE232.jpeg.d4b3e83158a8dc1335fde3bc49722a20.jpegAA6BD4A0-C814-488D-9620-E460A992D5AE.jpeg.05bf42732b14ff60f887ca8c1a607909.jpeg

I've worked on these old balers years ago. Most of the farmers around here went to PTO drive from the tractor as soon as they could. Biggest problem with these is that they would vapor lock on a hot day if the engine stalled, or was shut off. Tony Laporta's early GJG racer had a Wisconsin engine.    

• Like 2

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dandy Dave……..cool stuff! Love the lineup. Your collection of vehicles seems perfectly  normal to me………..like minds think alike. The rest of the world sure is strange, and I’m especially grateful you and I are both “normal people”!

Yes sir Ed. Two more followed me home a few days ago. The orange one is reated to White. A 1935 Cletrac Thirty, serial number 2c-30. The other a 1956 Cat D-2 with factory direct electric start and glow plugs. Us normal folks know enough to just let this stuff follow us home. 😃 The rest just sit around and dream. 😉 Note the cutaway manifold. 🙃. You don't see them everyday. 😁

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Disneyland had an early style bus they built themselves, it used a 2 cylinder industrial engine but I don't know what brand.

It verywell could have been a Wisconsin model TH, or THD. Also there was a TJD. Interesting to note that the firing order was 360 degrees apart on the TH and THD as the pistons travel on the same throw. On the TJD model the pistons were on 180 degree throws so it fired on 180 and 180 and then had to do a 360 to get back to the power stroke. The TJD Sounds like an old John Deere two cylinder.