For Sale : 1958 Packard 58L Station Wagon - $6,950 (550 route 7 south milton vt)

Not Mine - more for the 'wagon' folks...

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ctd/d/milton-1958-packard-58l-station-wagon/7536959963.html

1958 Packard 58L Station Wagon Factory 289 V-8, Automatic, AM radio, Air-Cond, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Luggage Rack, New Tires, New Brake Lines, New Spark Plug Wires, New Spark Plugs, Rebuilt Carb, Wheels have been refinished, have all new side glass, Have New Tail Lenses, Have Air Cleaner, and all trim that is off car in pictures. it runs and drives, nice undercarriage and frame but needs body and paint work, Exhaust, and interior work. only 159 ever built 1 of only 4 known to exist. Will consider reasonable offers and classic car trades sorry no motorcycles. 802-343-29 six two   (more pics in ad)

bab0100j0j_5ILgormZmbHz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0200P0P_8O1jUiValEHz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0600M0M_7SXVo8A8rjtz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0700k0k_fGovYX61eypz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0800S0S_iJv7qh9m0y0z_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0900q0q_i6UZAuTIxFuz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0301313_80rRJeTlkayz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0401111_22djQJ08fQaz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

bab0500808_2nDiaadUObLz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, roysboystoys said:

My first thought was " no wonder they went of business"

What were they thinking, keep hanging stuff on it until we run out room?

it is a Studebaker with Packard script.

You might be surprised by the zeal of the wagon collectors.  I've never seen one of these before.

I wonder how easy it would be to find a new windshield?  Is the windshield unique to the wagon or would a windshield from another '58 Packard work?

WAS $19,950.00  ???

In what Universe ?

Another example of trying to make a clunker look like a bargain ?

I personally have no argument with the collectability of a "PackardBaker" Wagon-

and generally will not comment on supposed value of another guy's wheels-

(A gussied-up Stude?) 

The 1953 Loewy designed Studebaker was a breath of fresh air - a clean sheet exercise

but Here, she's all tarted up, knocked down, and struggling to survive !

Looking like a beat-up aging hooker ...

Not my cup of tea at any price

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

The rational for the 1957-'58 'South Bend' Packards was to present something to keep the Packard name on the market to not only satisfy dealer contracts but also to bridge to a time when an all-new Packard for its traditional segment might be developed.  Once a make name was withdrawn from the market, it was nearly impossible to revive it with any long-term success.

After the relative satisfactory response to the 1957 Clipper Town Sedan and Country Sedan, which met the sales projects of between 4K and 6K units, continuing with the existing platform was the only option available.  It was still felt that something more had to be presented for 1958 to separate the Packard image from the Studebakers on which they were obviously based.  Dominant styling trends of the tail fins and quad headlights were the two major features that management decided were an absolute must-have to be competitive.  Trouble was, Studebaker-Packard was financially broke, could only afford tacked-on tail fins and pods to accommodate the quad headlights, no major tooling was affordable.

The Joint Agreement with Curtice-Wright brought with it management 'advice' from C-W President Roy Hurley, who was primarily interested in the defense contracts and facilities which it could glean from S-P's carcass for enough money to survive through 1958 until the compact could be developed.  It was a touch-and-go situation all through that year.  But, in an effort to curry favor with their new boss, Styling developed a custom for him based on the Golden Hawk which included styling features Mr. Hurley had seen on a Ferrari while touring the European auto shows.  Affectionately called the "Hurley Hawk" with its wide, low, "Electrolux' vacuum grille treatment, fins and other styling gimmicks, it not only satisfied his ego to have a unique personal custom but inspired the idea that that grille treatment would be prefect for the other 1958 Packard models.  This station wagon display all of the unfortunate hallmarks of that final episode of Packard history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I feel like I should be the whipping boy for the forum😁  My first thought was 'what a great looking car!' Then after reading the comments I kinda had to hunch down behind my desk a bit. I think the styling is great, but in a kinda ugly way. To me the excessive wings, body lines, etc. dont look a lot different than a Chrysler product of the same era, yet everyone loves those cars! Im not going out of my way to buy something like this, but if it was a haul it away or its going to the crusher I'd be all over it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I feel like I should be the whipping boy for the forum😁  My first thought was 'what a great looking car!' Then after reading the comments I kinda had to hunch down behind my desk a bit. I think the styling is great, but in a kinda ugly way. To me the excessive wings, body lines, etc. dont look a lot different than a Chrysler product of the same era, yet everyone loves those cars! Im not going out of my way to buy something like this, but if it was a haul it away or its going to the crusher I'd be all over it.

TAKerry:

It takes an open minded to embrace the 1958 Packard styling.  They truly are an acquired taste, but then again, so are most 1958 model cars from all makers.  My dirty-little-pleasure I have to admit is I love the 1958 Lincoln and Continental styling!  But that taste was formed as a six-eight-year-old kid when the cars were new...the 1958 Packard taste came later when I finally became aware of them.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

I try to be kind and not caustic in my remarks about other members interest,  However , this takes me to the edge of my limits.   I will end with a Positive thought.   Think Spring, 

Don, 

Thank you for staying positive, even if it seems at the edge of limits - I agree !

Thanks again for lugging the Hudson Front axle to Hershey,

and yes, I was able to buy the book you suggested - I appreciate it.

When I comment on a car there are two points that I look at, the first is condition and the second is design. Now the condition of this car is as plain as the nose on your face, very weak. Now when you talk about design, it is a case of taste and preference. As far as taste and preference this car does not move me at all, but I understand why. I finished reading "Champion of the Lark" recently and the book explains that after Studebaker acquired the Packard brand in about  '56 the company was broke. Studebaker did not have the money to hire a new design team and re tool for the 1958 model year. They did subtle changes to help handling and improve the overall economy of the car, but to throw everything in the trash and design a new car was not in the budget. 

• Thanks 1