Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

37 minutes ago, Dan Cluley said:

Thank you to everyone who posted pictures.  That is a most impressive collection of automobiles.

I do have to ask, what is the one that appears to have a radial engine in the rear!

I did not see the picture but did see the 1925 Julian in one of the photos so I expect that is what you are talking about.  An amazing interior and I have been captivated by this car ever since seeing it in the Harrah's book.  Center steering as I recall.

• Like 2

Harrah's found the Julian in excellent condition stored in the town it was built in - Syracuse, NY. decades ago. They did the car cosmetically mostly with a tear down of mechanical bits to make sure all bearings etc were sound. A magnificent car indeed and as Steve M. comments and amazingly beautiful "original" interior. Yes, it is center steering. I recall talking to Paul Larios of Harrah's , a long time friend of mine, about the car . He said that there was nothing like it, only one was built.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Dan Cluley said:

Thank you to everyone who posted pictures.  That is a most impressive collection of automobiles.

I do have to ask, what is the one that appears to have a radial engine in the rear!

Here's a picture I took of the radial engine in the Julian.  Pretty wild stuff. 

IMG_3444.JPG.d35601494239b424be9bee540575483a.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highlander160 said:

Are there any more shots of this one? Excellent story, I'd love to see a nice profile pic.

I was told a special client in Terre Haute, IN had the car commissioned thru Packard and their Terra Haute dealer to come up with a speedster on a Twin Six chassis. Anyone?

There was a lot of discussion about this car.  I didn't get the full story -- from what I heard, the dealer, with Packard's okay, was trying out different features from different years -- but I found the overall result very pretty although a little bit weird.  For example, it was a Super Eight that had Twin Six hubcaps; even if it was factory authorized, it's a little confusing for my rigid Packard brain. 

Here are two more pictures, although I'm not sure they add much.

IMG_3383.JPG.6acba9d981d901a863a7a6fd0b314130.JPGIMG_3384.JPG.b0c9a0004b2b1dd02dad2a130c78537f.JPG 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

There was a lot of discussion about this car.  I didn't get the full story -- from what I heard, the dealer, with Packard's okay, was trying out different features from different years -- but I found the overall result very pretty although a little bit weird.  For example, it was a Super Eight that had Twin Six hubcaps; even if it was factory authorized, it's a little confusing for my rigid Packard brain. 

IMG_3383.JPG.6acba9d981d901a863a7a6fd0b314130.JPGIMG_3384.JPG.b0c9a0004b2b1dd02dad2a130c78537f.JPG 

Thanks for the photos, any rear views available?

The Julian has been a longtime favorite of mine. It was one of my brother's favorite cars of all time. By coincidence, I went to see the remains of Bill Harrah's collection in Reno at the National Automotive Museum just a few weeks ago. I was a bit bothered by the Julian's absence from display. Seeing its photos here now explains why it wasn't there for me to see it. 

I guess I will just have to go back to see the collection again? 🙂

THANK YOU so very much to all of you posting photos and comments about this year's Pebble! It truly has become the "Best of the Best" collector car Concourse in the world!

And a special remembrance to Lorin Tryon and Jack Passey. Two people I was blessed to know, among the hundreds of people that made Pebble Beach what it is today!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I remember seeing that Julian at Harrah's collection when I was a teenager. What a cool car.

It's still in Harrah's (National Automobile Museum), although it does go out 'on loan' once in a while:   

• Like 1

Lee is a true gentleman, who I have become friendly with over the last few years. Our rooms are next to each other at Amelia. He has a great bunch of cars. And I think I am feeling the need to see the boats! His wife is also very pleasant. I spent some time with both of them Sunday morning on the field. They are very gracious hosts.

84AB5755-AA2C-431F-A743-964FF1A89DAF.jpeg

CE426C78-8A9E-42EA-8F6F-DE732DB43E90.jpeg

• Like 2

Update: Grimy…….aka Uncle George and his better half stopped by the house Saturday night for a modest party that AJ and I tossed. Lots of car people showed up……….and someone consumed the bottle of Makers Mark while I wasn’t looking. Of course, it was a special acquisition just for George. I wiped out a bottle of Crown. We were feeling no pain by the time things wound down………Orin, post the photo of the running boards out front. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

The story of this car as told by my good friend and big time collector in Terre Haute, IN who had a great classic car collection in the former Packard dealership in Terre Haute.

He knew of this car in his town for years. Tried to buy it for years. If I recall what he told me he finally was able to get the widow to sell him this special Packard. This was right before Hershey. A Packard collector friend of his would stop by and visit and see his collection on his way to Hershey every year. 

My friend was so excited about this Packard he was buying  he ask his Packard friend visitor if he wanted to see this Packard still in the widow's garage, and made him promise not to tell anyone. The Packard man did promise he would not tell anyone of its location and they looked at this great car. After seeing the car they said goodbye and see you at Hershey. My friend went over with the money to buy the car the next day. Big Problem, his so called Packard friend circled back, told the widow that my friend in Terre Haute did not want the car after all and bought it out from under my friend and removed it the same day. 

When my friend who wanted this car for years confronted his ex friend on what he did the man just said he kept his word and "Didn't Tell Anyone" about the car.

The Packard collector that did this is long gone from this planet. I know my late friend who wanted the Packard so bad from Terre Haute is in heaven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re the Packard story above. In the mid-1950s there was a Duesenberg J roadster for sale here in Houston, for $2,500 or so. One of my father's friends went to look at it, and took along a fellow from the car club who was a professional mechanic. They looked it over, then left. Next morning the original guy called the seller to say he wanted the car. The seller responded that "Your mechanic called me last night and said that you didn't want it, but he had someone who did and brought him right over, and I sold the car to him." Of course, you can bet the mechanic pocketed some cash on that one.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Update: Grimy…….aka Uncle George and his better half stopped by the house Saturday night for a modest party that AJ and I tossed. Lots of car people showed up……….and someone consumed the bottle of Makers Mark while I wasn’t looking. Of course, it was a special acquisition just for George. I wiped out a bottle of Crown. We were feeling no pain by the time things wound down………Orin, post the photo of the running boards out front. 

Here it is.  I mean, no party is complete without the ceremonial transfer of the running boards that have been kept for 62 years. 

IMG_3357.JPG.c15a59ca5272b01ea17847c3393c9a84.JPG

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Here it is.  I mean, no party is complete without the ceremonial transfer of the running boards that have been kept for 62 years. 

IMG_3357.JPG.c15a59ca5272b01ea17847c3393c9a84.JPG

Actually, the 62 years applies to the 16 pushrods and the head bolts in the bag Ed is holding; I dismantled that engine about six years before Ed was born.  The running boards were removed from a different car in 1975, only 47 years ago, and I recently removed them from the garage rafters of a house I'd bought in 1974--which coincidentally was about 1/3 mile from the residence of @1935Packard.

@edinmass hope you keep them another 47 years--in good health for you, Phil, and your 1934 Buick 56C.  And thank you for inviting us to your delightful party!  I wasn't the only one nipping at the Maker's Mark, but Annie assured me that I did indeed have a sufficiency of that libation.

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

The BOS Duesenburg was spectacular and deserved to win.   My only minor gripe is I would have used European tires in black.    The counter to that is that period pictures shows whitewalls sadly.   The other picture below was taken after it got to the USA.

J-465.jpg

Duesenberg Figoni - COACHBUILD.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Did anybody comment on this?  There were two cars that had the conversion to run on wood or coal.   No idea how they actually work but it was pretty neat.   I'm assuming this was an early post war thing in Europe when there was little gas available.

46406E70-545E-4AC4-866A-417D1E2EAC22.jpeg.a7404d1e961dfc0493ba3b5390434ef4.jpeg

• Like 1

Some final comments:

1.  It was great to see so many guys from the forum.   I would list them all but I don't want to miss anyone.

2.  It was cold all week.   Drizzle in the morning but no rain.   You need to bring a jacket or sweater anytime you come to Monterey.

3.  We had a forum member displaying a car - jcrow - and I tried to find him but he was not with his car whenever I went by.

5.  The McFarland class was very cool.   You never see a single example,  let alone an entire class of them.

6.  The alternative fuel class was extremely neat.  

I think that car is a Citreon?  I dont know how many they made but I have seen that car someplace, not sure where at this point. I knew right away what it was. Def cool and has me thinking about a current conversion for my cars!! I think you also posted a pic of a Neracar that was pretty cool.

I believe the coal conversion to cars and commercial vehicles in England took place while WWII was going on due to the lack of petrol being available . Lots of photos of those cars in British collector car magazines back in the 1960s -1970s era. Thanks to all for the great photographs for those of us who did not attend to view due to time , distance away, and the $ required to get in to walk around!

Next annual experience of the "older wheels minded" is the Big H  in Pa. - to quote Jackie Gleason "how sweet it is" .

• Like 2