Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes, Lee owned the car from about 1960 to 1985. Then it went to Bill L of Palm Beach.

The Davenport car was a 1913 and had nickel trim, took this photo at the Ridgefield Meet in 1965. The car at Pebble Beach may be the one from New Jersey, same paint combination, it always looked larger than the one Lee and Ann had. 

DSCF9676.JPG

• Like 3

thanks for the photos. I love the 1935(?) P-A coupe and the gray Locomobile touring - they are not "over lamped" with bolt on lighting - spot lights at the windshield posts or running boards , fog/driving lights and no one named Ray has to be a pilot to lead the winding way............ the correct period colors on the cars do them justice as well and Mr. Barnum, and Mr. Bailey were not consulted to make them appear better by suggesting other brighter colors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JBP said:

This has to be the worst car show I've ever seen. 

How can these guys expect to stay in business? Not ONE Mustang or Camaro. Disgraceful. 

And a lot of the cars are so bad that the makers went out of business. 

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Davenport car was a 1913 and had nickel trim, took this photo at the Ridgefield Meet in 1965. The car at Pebble Beach may be the one from New Jersey, same paint combination, it always looked larger than the one Lee and Ann had. 

DSCF9676.JPG

It’s 100 percent the Davenport car. They put it back to the way it was delivered. No windshield, and painted radiator. They had actual photos of the car back in the 40’s. The nickel shell and windshield were 1950’s restoration add ons. I know all the above from first hand information.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

It’s 100 percent the Davenport car. They put it back to the way it was delivered. No windshield, and painted radiator. They had actual photos of the car back in the 40’s. The nickel shell and windshield were 1950’s restoration add ons. I know all the above from first hand information.

You are correct, took some internet research but I have things figured out. That photo I took in 1965 is NOT the Davenport Lozier, must be the one from New Jersey. Found this 1974 photo that Henry Austin Clark took that confirms the car at Pebble Beach is the old Davenport car, I like the new look, hope the car does well Sunday.

E1358C8E-AC2C-414B-AABD-B419CB2CCF2C.jpeg.42211741ae4c6d9288ecc49587fc8890.jpegil_1140xN.4009598651_8iry (1).webp

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't know about the rest of you but this page is instantly addictive.  I keep hankering for more. 

I am curious about the SWB Duesenberg chassis. Maybe it is not a public question but I don't think this is one of the two original SSJ chassis is it? I say that as I thought both of those were supercharged. This chassis clearly is not. I know of at least two others that were shortened after the facts I find myself wondering if the shassis a page or two back is one of the recreation chassis or is it an unknown new emergence? It's interesting either way. 

On 8/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, edinmass said:

Sitting at the FBO in Monterey………lots of attractive ladies here……….you know the type. The ones seen getting on & off private jet aircraft. Most seem to have modified and non authentic coachwork. Plastic and silicone seem to be the order of the day. 😎

Lots of custom coachbuilders here in sunny S. Florida.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ericmac said:

I don't know about the rest of you but this page is instantly addictive.  I keep hankering for more. 

I am curious about the SWB Duesenberg chassis. Maybe it is not a public question but I don't think this is one of the two original SSJ chassis is it? I say that as I thought both of those were supercharged. This chassis clearly is not. I know of at least two others that were shortened after the facts I find myself wondering if the shassis a page or two back is one of the recreation chassis or is it an unknown new emergence? It's interesting either way. 

It is a regular Model J Chassis. Being displayed by the RM restoration shop.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It is a regular Model J Chassis. Being displayed by the RM restoration shop.

AJ:

Looks to be their typical high-quality job.

Which wheelbase is it: 142.5"?  153.5"? 

Did they reveal what the coachwork is? 

Steve

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Yes Bob. I believe so.

I watched the auction last night, almost as good as being there. I thought the 1750 Alfa roadster sold under market value, then read its history, provenance is everything, and there were more than a few cars that were lacking it. That yellow coupe is really nice, back to the catalog to see how it did. 

I watched also and kept track of the first 30 cars to be sold. The two kids cars did the best as both went over estimate. I think two others went over estimate about 14 were within the estimate and the rest did not make the low end of the estimate. Some were close but still below the low end of what they thought they were worth. 
I just did it for the first 30. 
dave s 

First time in many years most of us here thought the estimates were high. None of us saw anything  that went for bargain  money. There were two cars that dumped their reserve by millions. I think one of the big collections were probably trying to liquidate to a certain dollar amount. Because once they hit that number, they kept their reserves. 

Also, there was a bunch of post sale transactions. So many cars are changing hands. Mecum on the other hand seemed dead. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)