Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

20 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Incredible dash on that Bentley. I'm sure the craftsmanship looks even better in person...

I've never seen a Bentley like this before, can anyone shed some light on it? Is it custom or factory and what year is it?

Thanks
Dave

Dave, I think that is a Bentley Continental, but the tapered roof looks longer than I remember seeing. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, George K said:

Is that Dieter Holterbosch car you are referring to?

Seems the car with the star went 💥 boom 💥 …………I didn’t see it, but was told it made a very bad noise. It was parked in a trailer, and did not attempt the tour.

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Incredible dash on that Bentley. I'm sure the craftsmanship looks even better in person...

I've never seen a Bentley like this before, can anyone shed some light on it? Is it custom or factory and what year is it?

Thanks
Dave

Dave:

That is one of the 1952-1955 Bentley Continental R-Type by H.J. Mulliner.  This Curbside Classic biography/history of John Blatchley and Rolls-Royce & Bentley design is as good a history on how these gorgeous cars came to be as you'll read.

CC Biography/Design: John Blatchley of Rolls-Royce | Curbside Classic

Specifically on the Bentley Continental R-Type design:

Automotive History: Who Actually Styled the 1952 Bentley Continental? | Curbside Classic

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
added link to history (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Seems the car with the star went 💥 boom 💥 …………I didn’t see it, but was told it made a very bad noise. It was parked in a trailer, and did not attempt the tour.

Like the British say “ The car retired making agricultural noises”.

• Haha 2

Yes…..the current owner bought three cars to unscramble the mix and match it has been for the last 60 years……..I expect it’s a BOS winner this year. Especially since the car with a star is not cooperating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sitting at the FBO in Monterey………lots of attractive ladies here……….you know the type. The ones seen getting on & off private jet aircraft. Most seem to have modified and non authentic coachwork. Plastic and silicone seem to be the order of the day. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

45 minutes ago, edinmass said:

More to see…….

0C11D5A0-5AB0-497F-8E84-B39D9E832018.jpeg

2657FCC4-E224-49E0-92BC-A42246EE364A.jpeg

F3707349-D6C0-4854-A9B3-95D8B4F258D1.jpeg

23B3F771-A895-41BD-A10B-C002E137F821.jpeg

16A83D92-D654-4888-9C32-41D9252EFA76.jpeg

8766F96C-3800-4220-A8A9-645617CBD5B6.jpeg

That 1933 Pierce-Arrow model 1242 (12-cylinders, 142" wb) belongs to the forum's own @Bob Jacobsen who has been busting his rear for months and thus not on the forum preparing for his #1 Bucket List experience, and now it's here!  Congratulations!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes…..the current owner bought three cars to unscramble the mix and match it has been for the last 60 years……..I expect it’s a BOS winner this year. Especially since the car with a star is not cooperating. 

I admire people that do that for the sake of history. Rick Carroll was into J boat tails back in the late 1970's.

• Like 1

Just now, 1937hd45 said:

I admire people that do that for the sake of history. Rick Carroll was into J boat tails back in the late 1970's.

Now it’s just good business……….I am in the process of doing similar as we speak……….taking a car back to 100 percent matching………

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Now it’s just good business……….I am in the process of doing similar as we speak……….taking a car back to 100 percent matching………

It must really matter and the history on all the top flight cars is known to those that need to know. My pick for a class winner last year never made it to the podium, I found out later is was a car with many fathers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

My pick for a class winner last year never made it to the podium, I found out later is was a car with many fathers. 

Counts me out...

I'm glad they have such rules for PB, and glad they explain it so well on their website. Afterall, it's the best of the best not "and those others".

The amazing thing to me is that anything with pure and authenticated provenance are allowed (and encouraged) to submit. Most won't make the cut but it's good to see they at least consider any make and model depending on class and needs they are trying to fill any given year. They make it equally fair to all parties but without that true historical data guys like me just wish we had a father lol. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

11 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I think that plane may be what is referred to as a DUCK. Jimmy Buffet has one he crashed and credits taking a US Navy survival crash course for saving his live. He restored it and it’s now on display at one of his bars. I will say blue is not a great color for a sea plane if it has to land in the ocean because of an engine failure. 
dave s 

Pretty sure that's a Grumman Albatross. Grumman Duck is an older, smaller airplane.

• Thanks 1

I didn’t attend the tour this year……just the lineup. Lots going on………and we don’t have a car here for the first time ever. They dropped the coffee stop in the Mariposa Woods, and the lunch was canceled from Covid…….only in Califunny………….so it wasn’t worth the time.