1938 Buick - $35,000 (Salinas CA) not mine

IMO, it’s downright ugly with all the extra doodads & crap added to it. I didn’t see the little bobbing head dog in the back window. Are points deducted for that being missing?

First they ruin the Impalas by making hoppers out of them, now they’re dressing up the older stuff like cheap whores on the street.

• Like 4

The brown paint job is a definite detraction!  I don't see how the seller can ask 38K for this 248ci Buick with 4 doors especially when we saw a '37 Century 4 door in blue struggling to get 20K.  That was a much desirable car.

• Like 1

There’s a lot wrong with it (paint instead of wood grain, wrong year hubcaps, fender skirts, wrong brown paint color, etc) and the seller is asking probably twice what it’s worth, but it’s easy to see where he/she is coming from. What was done was done pretty well, and it would be easy to subtract some of the doodads and have a good-looking 38-41. I wish I’d had that swamp cooler when we were living in Nevada!

• Like 1

My car is 2 years newer than this one, but it came from the factory Aztec Brown. I do not know if this was an option in 38, but I would think so. When choosing a color for my car, I went with Royal Maroon (factory color). I don't think this color is as ugly as I imagined it would be. 

Regarding the accessories, when I lived in Los Angeles County, this style of car is very common at car shows. Plenty of room for the whole family and the more accessories that you can add to the car, the better. These cars are referred to as a "bomb" and if it does not have air bags and the ability to drop it to the ground, it isn't finished yet. Not my cup of tea, but I understand the origin and it's popularity.

I used to attend the Chuck Barris car show in Culver City every year (very large show), you could see several cars of this vintage decked out very much like this one. 

I agree the price is way out of line. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The color may be an attempt to replicate Van Dyke Brown Metallic which is a correct 1938 Buick Color (Paint Code 523). It is not a color that I would choose for that car, and the photos don't look like the paint is actually metallic to me. The incorrect wheels, hubcaps, and sealed beam conversion detract from the car in my view. The added accessories are certainly a "California" thing, that also does not do much for me. The price seems to be something that would probably also appear only in California. For the right California based buyer, it might bring much more than I think it should, but I would be very surprised if it attracts anywhere near the asking price.   

• Like 2

In case the owner of this '38 BUICK is also a member of this forum, I'd like to mention to him that I do have the doggy with the bobbing head accessory available for purchase! Unfortunately, my hound is NOT the model with the eyes that light up, when you apply the brakes. Also, I can't tell from the photos if he has the required fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. If not, I also have a very nice, original set of those available.  Late 1950's vintage. They are white, with black dots. Perhaps these would not be snappy enough to appeal to this gentleman. But....as has been said, "to each his own". And, "amen" to that sentiment. John

JJ is right. to each his own.  Some guys love their cars so much they lavish every option they can find on them.  Not my thing, but definitely not just a California thing. It's a car love thing. I don't think the hobby is served by beating up on someone else's love affair. Unless I am missing some connection I see no reason to bring an Impala generalization into a subject that has none.  People gussy up their cars and always have, that is why that stuff was produced.   

When I was working as a 16 year old pumping gas west of Las Cruces, New Mexico in 1960 a few cars had air conditioning but there were a lot of swamp coolers came in on cars. Lots of 114 degree days in the summer. Canvas water bags abounded on the front bumper.  I also know Salinas can be a hot place and that Buick is no cooler to ride in today than it was the day it was made.. The swamp coolers made it a bit more bearable then and now, I would suppose.

I am in New Hampshire, go to any car show people will have their pride and joy there with at least as many gadgets as this guy has on his. Not for me, but I am happy for them, that they love their car enough to show it to people. I have never heard one of those guy rag on someone else's ride. They are in Maine, Florida, Washington and yes, California . ( California has more people and cars) And Alaska. I also don't see any gadget that I haven't seen on cars being used back in the day when they were doing their first duty. Dice included.

JJs last comment is the future of the hobby, and many other things as well.    Jim43   

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jim43 said:

JJ is right. to each his own.  Some guys love their cars so much they lavish every option they can find on them.  Not my thing, but definitely not just a California thing. It's a car love thing. I don't think the hobby is served by beating up on someone else's love affair.

This "NOT MINE" forum seems to be gravitating to more gripes and complaints than constructive criticism. 

IMHO, expressing what you like or don't like can be done effectively and with care instead of comparing a car to a low-rider, rat-rod or, worse, a "street whore", or a personal attack on its owner. Sure, there are unreasonable asking prices, unpopular modifications, strange paint jobs, etc, but trashing a car or its owner, again, in my opinion, serves no purpose. Personal and regional tastes will always vary and reproving comments will do nothing to bring this community together and help it survive.

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't know...

One can learn much from others opinions, whether they are flattering or critical.  

I see a freedom on the "Not Mine" forum to express opinions that are otherwise muzzled on the "For Sale by Owner" forums.  And honestly I've found some of the best belly laughs ever in this particular "Not Mine" section.  Of all the auto related forums I belong to, I start my mornings, every day,  right here with a cup of coffeee.  And among the legitimate listings,  I also look forward to my vintage car brother's witty and entertaining responses to some of the downright ridiculous ads that are shared here.

Cheers, Greg

I appreciate people pointing out incorrect things--

alerting potential buyers.  I learn from others' expertise.

It would be unkind to criticize if the owner were here,

but this "Not Mine" category discusses cars impersonally.

Still, it should be done respectfully.

If someone was about to embark on a cruise or vacation,

wouldn't he appreciate someone pointing out the good

sites and sites to avoid in the far-away location?  Surely!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

If someone was about to embark on a cruise or vacation,

wouldn't he appreciate someone pointing out the good

sites and sites to avoid in the far-away location?  Surely!

I don't disagree, but ridiculing him for taking the cruise and increasing his chance of catching the virus by comparing him to an animal or a fool is not constructive. I just feel that we have recently lost a level of respect for others, present or not, and are trending to be less caring, more judgmental and critical. I hope that I am not in the minority with this viewpoint.

P.S. Points of interest, along with wine, women and song, are very subjective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

P.S. Points of interest, along with wine, women and song, are very subjective. 

So are cars with so many doodads on them, you can't tell what the car looks like. This, I believe is a forum where opinions are expressed & if that is correct, then we can all express our opinions. I see a ton of the 31-54 GMs, usually Chevys that are all gussied up & they look like hell. That's my opinion & I'm stickin' to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don’t get the point of talking bad about someone’s else’s car, for any reason, in any situation.  I look for reasons to like a car, and I will always find a few.

Actually there might be one reason—if you are negotiating a purchase price and the seller is receptive to negotiation.

I guess it all goes back to what my father would tell someone at a car show that did that to him.  “Show me yours.”  Every car has flaws.  It’s no fun to point them out when there is so much to like.

• Like 2

Your right but I've learned a lot from the criticism expressed by the members here. Like don't put wide whitewalls on anything except a fence post. 

I agree some can get pretty persnickety but what the heck, they just might be right. Also it's kind of fun to go back and check the photos to see if they are right. 

How much fun is "if you don't have anything nice to say...................................." But you dang well better never say anything bad about my car or I'll hunt you down and let my dog pee on your wheels. 

• Like 1

Personally,  I don't see a lot on this car I don't like other than a couple bolt ons that could be addressedin under 20 minutes. I admit to being someone who doesn't mind brown on a car and that interior looks quite nice. Price? Well, that's always negotiable. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fossil said:

Your right but I've learned a lot from the criticism expressed by the members here. Like don't put wide whitewalls on anything except a fence post. 

I agree some can get pretty persnickety but what the heck, they just might be right. Also it's kind of fun to go back and check the photos to see if they are right. 

How much fun is "if you don't have anything nice to say...................................." But you dang well better never say anything bad about my car or I'll hunt you down and let my dog pee on your wheels. 

I saw one of them at a car show! LOL

• Like 1

I too am like GregLaR, I enjoy looking through this particular thread just because, BUT gee, I really feel bad about myself after looking at this one. At first glance I thought 'thats a pretty good looking car'. By the time I got to the bottom of the thread I felt like I had to get a shower.

(I still would not turn this car away from my garage)

• Like 3

There are some very nice looking brown colors out there. Both Chrysler and Cadillac have offered some beautiful browns. This brown really only approximates the color of something that belongs in a toilet. It's particularly awful. I like to think that it's the responsibility of some of us to share our cultured acquired tastes with others so that they may elevate their mundane and banal natures. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I was going to say that I was sure this wasn't a factory color, but the Auto Color Library shows a somewhat similar brown in their chip charts -- Van Dyke Brown Poly.

1938-buick-pg01.jpg?6315

Those chips have all darkened somewhat. The last editor of the 37-38 Buick club magazine (Torquetube) had a Van Dyck Brown 38-41 he used to bring to car shows in the SF Bay Area. Lighter than that, metallic, and not a good color, either, IMHO.

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yes, particularly artsy! It seems that they couldn't cite an artist for black though. I'll have to think about that.

Yes, it was Rembrandt Black. If you want to obsess about the paint colors and names, it is important to use the correct original Buick literature rather than an aftermarket paint company document. Buick used Duco paints from Dupont. This is the Buick 1938 Paint documentation.

IMG_20220107_201759422.jpg

IMG_20220107_201809995.jpg

IMG_20220107_201818539.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think Matt was the one that said (or Maybe John M.?) that a brown car is the hardest one to sell.    There are some decent browns out there, especially with metallic.    I don't hate this car,  although all the trinkets need to be thrown in the trash along with the tires.  

On 1/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

There are some very nice looking brown colors out there. Both Chrysler and Cadillac have offered some beautiful browns. This brown really only approximates the color of something that belongs in a toilet. It's particularly awful. I like to think that it's the responsibility of some of us to share our cultured acquired tastes with others so that they may elevate their mundane and banal natures. lol

As some of you know, I am a huge fan of browns and golds, "Desert Tan" and so on.  But Hudsy's right - this color brown does not commit to go one way or the other, it's just brown.  Now, on a 1974 Buick Electra with a padded vinyl top?  Maybe, but this car is all one big...brown.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1