HMN Classic Car Jumps the Shark

bryankazmer

A decade or so ago I subscribed to multiple car magazines, Hemmings Motor News/Muscle Car/Classic Car, Mopar Collectors Guide, Collectible Automobile, Automobile, Car and Driver, Road& Track, etc... covering both new and old cars. Hemmings Muscle Car/Classic Car I soon found rehashed articles appearing in Hemming Motor News or vice-versa. Mopar Collectors Guide separated the classified from the articles and wanted to charge more for what then would be like any normal run of the mill Mopar magazine. The new car magazines went out of existence and was consolidated into Motor Trend that although I have never subscribed, (and notices of "Last Issue!!") I still keep getting it. Now it is only Collectible Automobile and Hemmings Motor News that show up in my mailbox. 

I wholeheartedly agree with many of the previous posts about originality and stock looking cars as I prefer these over the restomods and customs. How ever I disagree with the argument about what is considered an old car and what is or isn't being featured. With the early baby boomers aging and passing away the "popular" cars have shifted in years. The "target" audience that now will generate the most magazine sales isn't the people born in the 1930's and 40s but those born the late 1950s and into the 1960s/70s who are interested in cars they remember from growing up/high school/young adulthood. The large majority of these people are not interested in a 1910s, 1920s, 1930s "Whatever". 1960s-1990s cars is the largest group of what the target audience is interested in as these are the cars they remember and are familiar with, including foreign cars like Toyotas and Hondas. The late baby boomers are now the empty nesters, retired, or near retirement with the money to spend on their memories. With the age I am at (mid 50s) I would enjoy reading an article about, or better yet on the restoration of a mid to late 1980s Chrysler Conquest, a car that I remember and wanted when I was a young adult. Many of the posters of this thread would go "Oh no!!!", "that's too new!!!", "a FORIEGN based car? I am cancelling my subscription!!!" Yet by every description it is an antique car, being somewhat rare and unique and would make good reading for the now target audience of the magazine. 

Living in Iowa I have notice a similar thing with old tractors, the Farmalls and "Johnny Poppers" that brought good money a few years ago are now selling cheap. The market for these (the people who remember using them) is now literally and figuratively dead.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

I just read the AACA mission statement (copied below). Unless I missed something, I did not find anything that encourages or discourages modified vehicles. There have been a number of administrative and member posts discouraging modifications, but unless the "official" rules have changed and are written elsewhere, I really can't find where modifications are prohibited.

(show judging,and other competitions excepted) I am not advocating modifications to collectible cars, Just seeking clarification.

Maybe this can be explained without the emotion that this and other threads have evoked.

• Home / 
  • About Us

ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE CLUB OF AMERICA

Our mission statement: America's premiere resource for the collectible vehicle community! 

Since its inception there has been something about the sight, sound, and feel of the automobile that stirs the imagination and the desire to experience the freedom of the open road. Whether it’s the clatter of the single cylinder brass era car or the heavy thumping of big block Detroit musclecars that fuels the addiction, we are all kindred spirits. Vintage cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles are our bond.

Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. From National Meets and Tours to Regional events, AACA is here to bring enthusiasts together through exciting National activities, friendship, and Antique Automobile… an award winning 100-page full color magazine.

We have something for everyone. You don’t have to own a vehicle or know how to turn a wrench. You can be involved at any level you wish. Whether it’s joining our judging teams, doing research in our vast library, or taking the family through the excitement of a National Meet or Tour, the possibilities are endless. Also make sure you visit the world class AACA Museum here in Hershey, PA the “sweetest city on earth.”

So, spend time with us and others sharing your passion. Join up. It's less than the price of a tank of gas and lasts all year. Then check out our Regions and Chapters to find one near you. Get behind the wheel of AACA. We know you’re going to love the ride.

Antique Automobile Club of America
800 W. Hersheypark Drive
Hershey, PA  17033
store@aaca.org
717-534-1910

Preservation does not mean modify.

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

If it was that long ago, you would be referring to Special Interest Autos magazine, its predecessor.  I also miss the content of that magazine, which highlighted the unusual.

Craig

I never subscribed to anything Hemmings except the “Bible” magazine.  Although I will admit I was in a few of their articles over the years.........I don’t remember exactly how or why, but people would send me copies of the stuff. Last time, I was driving a car on the green at Pebble and was in the color section.......back in the 80’s Old Cars Weekly was a favorite. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

@f.f.jones, Your points are likely a bit different topic.  

The point here, from my perspective anyway is not to disparage whatever auto related hobby pursuits one has.  It is why continue to subscribe if content is no longer relevant.  Makes no sense.  Also, if you've been a long timer, it might sting a bit since you might expect more loyalty even if logically  you know that is how it goes.  I think that is where the emotion is in this post.

Opening up a club like AACA to modifieds is a different issue I think.  Won't jump into that as it has been hashed out before. The non emotional comment here is if the club hits a crossroads the decision will be mission (widely accepted as dedicated to stock/originality) vs. Member growth.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ia-k said:

The "target" audience that now will generate the most magazine sales isn't the people born in the 1930's and 40s but those born the late 1950s and into the 1960s/70s who are interested in cars they remember from growing up/high school/young adulthood. The large majority of these people are not interested in a 1910s, 1920s, 1930s "Whatever". 1960s-1990s cars is the largest group of what the target audience is interested in as these are the cars they remember and are familiar with, including foreign cars like Toyotas and Hondas. The late baby boomers are now the empty nesters, retired, or near retirement with the money to spend on their memories. With the age I am at (mid 50s) I would enjoy reading an article about, or better yet on the restoration of a mid to late 1980s Chrysler Conquest, a car that I remember and wanted when I was a young adult. Many of the posters of this thread would go "Oh no!!!", "that's too new!!!", "a FORIEGN based car? I am cancelling my subscription!!!" Yet by every description it is an antique car, being somewhat rare and unique and would make good reading for the now target audience of the magazine.

The cycle will repeat itself.  I remember Hemmings received a LOT of 'hate mail' after the did a DriveReport in Special Interest Autos of a 1970 Datsun 240Z when they became collectible in the 1980's.  A lot of those 'old timer's (who perhaps fought in the second world war, and are maybe dead now) strongly voiced their opinion on that one.  

I do like Japanese cars, and I do have every issue of Hemming's sister publication, Sports & Exotic Cars.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

after the did a DriveReport in Special Interest Autos of a 1970 Datsun 240Z when they became collectible in the 1980's.  A lot of those 'old timer's (who perhaps fought in the second world war, and are maybe dead now) strongly voiced their opinion on that one.  

I do like Japanese cars, and I do have every issue of Hemming's sister publication, Sports & Exotic Cars.

Back in the 'eighties, a good friend of mine had a 240Z. I had a 1963 Morgan Super sport. His Z would suck the doors off my Morgan. Of course, when I found the proper road, it was (sometimes - I'd like to say often) a different story. The Z of that period was a very nice car.

29 minutes ago, pmhowe said:

Back in the 'eighties, a good friend of mine had a 240Z. I had a 1963 Morgan Super sport. His Z would suck the doors off my Morgan. Of course, when I found the proper road, it was (sometimes - I'd like to say often) a different story. The Z of that period was a very nice car.

I agree about the Z.  They were also known for their reliability (and decent heat in the winter in northern climates) over the British competition.  

One of the Letters to the Editor, and his reply below, from the October, 1991 issue of SIA.

Craig

SIA_10-91-pg10.jpg

SIA_10-91-pg12.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

" I cannot generate one iota of enthusiasm for a product built by the people who did their level best to kill me."

I wonder if he feels the same way about German cars!

If he is Jewish, or of Jewish descent, he could still have some animosity against that country.

I've lived long enough to have known many who had anti-Japanese sentiment who tried their best to avoid purchasing goods from there, and a younger group with anti-Soviet Union/communist sentiment.   Today, we see animosity with low-cost goods from the Far East. (I won't single out one particular nation as there are several.)   

Craig

• Like 2

A friend turned me on to Cars and Parts in the mid-90s and I found it to be the perfect magazine for me. At the time I'd never picked up an issue of Hemmings, and I've yet to subscribe to the "big book". When C&P "jumped the shark" it saddened me quite a bit; I was thrilled to later discover HCC. Like others, I once received 6 or 8 periodicals every month but in recent years HCC was the only one. What I loved was the variety: each month SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE. We're a big tent, in this hobby. Picture this forum as a meeting hall. Over in one corner are the brass guys. Nearby are a group of well-heeled folks with National Award winning full classics in their garage. Over by the door, lighting a Kool, is a guy with a restomod Chevelle, talking to a guy about to put a SBC in a Shoebox. Wandering around the room are guys like me, driving (never "showing") 100% stock drivers. I think a magazine like HCC can cover the spectrum, and do it properly each month. Part of my joy in reading it has been that, while I may not be interested in ever owning a malaise-era Oldsmobile or a Japanese car, I can learn from the articles. And...if I don't like the, there was plenty else. 

It seems lately there is less variety, with more concentration on themes, and the they happen to be themes that I'm not really that interested in. I was looking forward to reading about the Studebaker on the cover until I read the editors page last night and realized it was a modded car. If I saw it at a show, I'd keep walking. I'm not sure I'll both reading it. 

A while back I picked up a nice collection of C&P from the 80s/90s. I might just let the HCC subscription lapse next year, and start pulling one of those old issues out once a month. 

Final thought: I'm in my forties, for a just a little while longer. I'm just getting to the point where I can dump whatever money I want (within reason) into my automotive projects; this year I've spent some of it with HCC advertisers. How many folks younger than I are really browsing newsstands? How many folks are really out there, of any age, seeking articles about a tri-five Chev with disc brakes and an LS1, or a tri-five Ford with disc brakes and an LS1, or a Chevelle or Mustang or Packard or Duesenberg with disc brakes...oh, for an article on properly adjusting Lockheed brakes, or comparing the various straight 8's.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I agree about the Z.  They were also known for their reliability (and decent heat in the winter in northern climates) over the British competition.  

One of the Letters to the Editor, and his reply below, from the October, 1991 issue of SIA.

Craig

SIA_10-91-pg10.jpg

SIA_10-91-pg12.jpg

yet by the 1990s Japan was one of our closest allies. We helped them rebuild their country and we helped them with their industry. They learned from us and took it and ran with it. Meanwhile the American car industry went to hell. Producing by and large horrific quality for decades forcing everyone to look elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, MarkV said:

yet by the 1990s Japan was one of our closest allies. We helped them rebuild their country and we helped them with their industry. They learned from us and took it and ran with it. Meanwhile the American car industry went to hell. Producing by and large horrific quality for decades forcing everyone to look elsewhere. 

We helped them build their country, industrially and politically and helped them create a democracy which in itself was a feat of accomplishment. Before the war Japan was a very closed society and class orientated. Much more difficult to transform than Germany.

They learned from us and ran with it. Then when we tried to slow down their market share with tariffs and the threat of more tariffs, they responded to the U.S. threats by assembling in the U.S. and later into true manufacturing in the U.S. from foundry work to finished product and more. The more includes engineering, product planning, marketing, accessory development, and car and truck design. My NISSAN Frontier and Sentra were both designed and built here. There is more U.S. content in my car and truck than most if not all American makes.

The automotive industry is an international industry or world industry these days. Cultivating an interest in your country for companies provides economic benefit for people living there and the company itself plus its local suppliers. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MarkV said:

Another sidetrack to the forum but I was born in '64. As kids we still played 'army' with toy guns and the like. Some of us were American and the others were Germans or Japanese. WWII wasnt that far behind us. Made in Japan meant that the product was typically junk. As time moved on Made in Japan became synonymous with quality and Made in China meant junk. Now made in China isnt all that bad. Maybe things will take a full circle and Made in America will be good again!

• Like 2

Back in the 1970s one of my good friends was really wanting a 240Z.  I gave him that funny look like “really?”  I never thought the Japanese cars would ever be popular in the US.  Well I guess I was wrong (again).

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Another sidetrack to the forum but I was born in '64. As kids we still played 'army' with toy guns and the like. Some of us were American and the others were Germans or Japanese. WWII wasnt that far behind us. Made in Japan meant that the product was typically junk. As time moved on Made in Japan became synonymous with quality and Made in China meant junk. Now made in China isnt all that bad. Maybe things will take a full circle and Made in America will be good again!

Made in America is good again;

True manufacturing in the U.S. from foundry work to finished product and more. The more includes engineering, product planning, marketing, accessory development, and car and truck design. My NISSAN Frontier and Sentra were both designed and built here. There is more U.S. content in my car and truck than most if not all American makes.

6 hours ago, MarkV said:

I've said for years, General Motors could have learned a lot from the British Leyland fiasco fourteen years earlier.  In 2005 when GM was starting to lose gobs of cash, every GM executive should have been forced to do a case study of the BMC & Triumph Leyland merger in 1968 up to takeover by the British government in 1975, and how BMC alone had 40% of their domestic market in 1964 (plus a huge presence in world markets), to a paltry .02% of the market when MG-Rover declared 'insolvency' in 2005.   

An area where the Japanese really excelled was at labor relations.  The employer wanted an environment that was an enjoyable place to work, whether one was a sweeper in the storage yard to the Vice President.  All employees shared the same lunchroom, and any and all suggestions to improve work effort was addressed without fear of dismissal.

Craig

• Like 1

I am getting both HMN and Classic Car. I was ok with the addition of foreign cars in the Classic Car but not as interested in the modified stuff and miss the prewar and brass drive reports. I still like HMN for the auction coverage and articles. I also look at Hemmings.com all the time even finding my 1912 McLaughlin Buick on it 20 years ago. I like the parts section and I also like the their Auction site which has lot of neat mostly original stuff for sale with great descriptions that seems to be a great alternative to the auction companies. I kick myself for not bidding on a very nice 93 Jeep Cherokee with a manual that as I am looking for something to tow behind a Motorhome( yes an automatic in a Jeep works but like manual)that is AACA eligible, can use on camping trips including Off-road, has ac and be my daily driver when I retire next year and give up the company car. Still looking and see lots of nice cars that go for fair prices and I think a fair fee to sell. Also able to interact with the owner and maybe even see the car. Have plenty of time to bid and don’t have to go an auction place physically. 

I don’t mind the move to Digital magazines as long as they have the same content and feel. Probably welcome it vs the paper that takes up room till I pass on to someone. I think AACA has put the Antique Automobile out digitally too. While I still like the paper I could easily be talked into the digital as long as it still looks like paper magazine. I know I can get buy old issues on a disk and make my wife happy by getting rid of 40 years of paper copies I have plus my Dad’s 60 year collection. 

As far as this stuff about no interest in brass and prewar cars by younger people, that is not true in Ohio. I have turned two 50 somethings in the last few years into multiple pre 1915 car owners that both did Snappers tours and HCCA events  this year and last.  We have an another local AACA member( he is over 60) that has road along on a couple Model T tours and really caught the bug as a navigator on the Hershey Hangover Tour this year. He is actively looking for a brass T. We have several Model T Clubs in Ohio that have lots of families that come on the Ohio Model T Jamborees with 20 somethings driving them. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

Edited by tomcarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, Richard Lentinello said:

As the former editor-in-chief of Hemmings Motor News, when I started Hemmings Classic Car magazine in 2004 our goal was to feature a balanced selection of all types of American collector cars. Pre-war cars played a huge role in the success of HCC, which is why I always made it a point to feature a pre-war automobile in every issue. The current Hemmings management has different views than mine as to what the format of HCC should be. As a result of our different views, in 2019 I left Hemmings and started my own collector-car magazine; it's called Crankshaft. Unlike HCC, each issue of Crankshaft totals 144 pages and features a wide variety of interesting and historic automobiles, both American and foreign, pre-war and post-war. Crankshaft is a high-quality quarterly magazine unlike any other car magazine published before and features in-depth articles, engaging photography and creative layouts. The variety in each issue will amaze you. Best of all, it's written by some of the best writers in the business, including former Hemmings editors David LaChance, Walt Gosden, Milton Stern, Jim Richardson, Jim Donnelly and Pat Foster. Crankshaft Issue #3 is scheduled to be published in mid-January 2022; this issue has been delayed due to a paper shortage, and the time-consuming task of relocating our office to Knoxville, Tennessee. For more info, please visit our website: www.crankshaftmagazine.com.  Thank you!  Richard Lentinello, Publisher.  

I too miss your articles in Hemmings along the other writers. I do agree with others that print is on the way out. Do you offer online copy of Crankshaft at a reduced cost over paper. 

Tom Muth,

Cincinnati, Ohio

• Like 1

I suspect that the "death of print" is one of those ideas that gets repeated so often it's accepted as a fact. There is a great deal to be said for a printed hard copy of anything. I can remember people saying, 20 years ago, that "books were dead"...that can only come from someone that isn't much of a reader. I have more than 2000 books — about 98%of which are non-fiction and cannot be found on the internet even if I wanted to read a digital version. Its not all that easy to leave slips of paper on a digital copy to mark interesting passages...etc. I use the internet because it's become the preferred way to find long out of print titles.

It's somewhat the same for magazines although those are generally more disposable. The big, general circulation magazines like Time are gone but the smaller, special interest magazines have proliferated. Yes, there are challenges and things will change (as they always have) but I'm inclined to think that we're moving towards a two-tier "knowledge" base. A digital product that is shallow, ephemeral and readily disposable and a printed product that reflects real scholarship and is deserving of preservation.

• Like 4

I agree with Joe particularly his last sentence. Thank you my friend. Good observations.  It may be easy to take a stance on a print publication - but how many of you have actually had hands on involvement?  I have been from many different areas, in the early 1970s moved from long island to Sesser, Illinois to work for George Slankard at Cars & Parts . That magazine was printed by GS as well not given to someone to do for him ( he also produced a magazine of similar size on coon hounds , American Cooner". ) I traveled the USA to represent the magazine at flea markets and also contributed to its content. First hand , hands on knowledge in all aspects. David L. Lewis the Ford historian was the one who urged George and myself to connect. My connection to Richard Lentinello was when he called to say he wanted to pay me a visit and do a brief profile on me and my collection, also do a story on the 1931 Franklin Derham bodied victoria I restored. We immediately hit it off ( both of us were art majors in college) and remain great friends  until this very day.

Dave S. here on the forums knows what it is like to see subscriptions to publications work and succeed.

I ( and most of you as well) have a much better view of what it is like to : organize and run a club, deal with situations beyond your control, produce a "good read" , where to go to research accurately for information because of these wonderful forums. There are people here that I have yet to meet that I consider close friends because of the forums, and many many have my enthusiasm for the cars/trucks/and era which we can now share. As many of you are aware by recent statements - I still like the best the print edition of a publication , always will . Joe's comment as I mentioned at the start of my typing this hits the nail on the head for me.

WG

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Back to HCC. I’ve been in there twice, once in 2006 and again in 2008. I first bought a 2005 issue and became a subscriber soon after. 

ive enjoyed the magazine all these years and was so happy when they started looking at the 70s and 80s cars.

newsflash for all the boomers in denial out there- 70s and 80s cars are collectible and probably some of the hardest to restore due to the emerging computer tech, efi and plastic parts. Many of you were collecting 50s cars in the 80s. The newest 80s car is approaching 33 years old. 

they belong in hcc and elsewhere and I’ve been happy with clubs recognizing  this as well (looking at you Cadillac club!) 

as far as modified cars I’m all for stock and do my restorations that way. I will say I tried to put in my 48 Lincoln for an HCC story and they didn’t want it, even though it has a fascinating story (I tracked it down 17 years after my grandfather sold it). It still has paint from 60 years ago and is presentable. I have photos of it from 60 years ago. 

they weren’t interested the only reason is that it doesn’t have the original v12 and has a flathead 8 installed in the early 50s which was a common replacement for the seriously flawed v12 engines. I found that ridiculous. Their comment was that they only take stock cars. They were too rigid but I feel that with the cars coming up in HCC that have raided the jc whitney catalog they’ve now gone the complete other direction. 

the other huge issue is their lack of photographers and writers- they have none in California which is arguably the largest  classic car enclave west of the Mississippi. 

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I think one problem with magazines like Hemmings is the time lag between submitting an ad and the ad actually being on the newsstand in a printed copy. There are now so many other faster ways to buy or sell. That being said, I too have had the experience of trying to contact one of Hemmings editors. People should remember that they represent an organization and if my impression of the service they provide is negative, it affects my impression of their business . 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 11:15 PM, 8E45E said:

If he is Jewish, or of Jewish descent, he could still have some animosity against that country.

When I was in the 8th or 9th grade the father of one of my Jewish classmates bought a new Mercedes. His mother looked out the front door and told her husband that she absolutely refused to get into or go anywhere in that car. He had to trade it in with practically no miles on it. That reaction wasn't confined to Jews though...my closest "old car" friend, then an 18 year old army medic, was in the medical flying column sent into Dachau hours after it was liberated. He disliked the Germans for the rest of his life...

"The death of print" is happening before our eyes, like it or not. I have subscribed to HMN for at least 40 years and to SIA and HCC. I am struck by the number of long time advertisers that used to be in these publications that aren't there anymore. The Kanter brothers used to buy multiple pages in every issue. They are gone. Terrill Machine Company, Northwestern Auto parts, and a lot more that other people here could name have all disappeared from those pages. The classified sections are way smaller than they used to be. The editorial content has been using larger and larger pictures, which camouflages the problem by filling up space. The auction companies are the only steady volume advertisers that HMN seems to have anymore. They are even filling up the classified sections. 

If a hobbyist is looking to sell a car today, the internet allows him to send dozens of color digital pictures all over the world at nominal cost. Why would he want to pay more for a tiny, grainy b&w photo in a Hemmings classified? Hemmings has figured this out and is moving forward with their online auction business which, I suppose, is the future.

This is everywhere. My local daily newspaper is now publishing four days per week. Mass circulation magazines are disappearing. Libraries today are used more for their computer terminals than for books and periodicals. I find it sad, but that is the way things are going. My father used to say that "you can't ____ against the wind". HCC and HMN are changing their content in order to postpone the inevitable.

4 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

A magazine is basically like a three legged stool, good content, advertising and subscriber base. Take anyone of the three away and the stool falls over and is useless. 
Adapt or fail.

That philosophy appears to work for Kelsey Media in England, a publisher of several titles of vintage car and truck magazines (and several non-automotive).  https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/publications/classic-motoring

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/publications/transport

I buy a few of their publications each month because they are so well written with excellent photographs.

Craig

• Like 1

While I can't disagree with anything that has been said in this thread, I am not ready to end my subscription to HCC yet. The only change that really disappoints me is there is less coverage of pre war cars. The stories they do print on prewar cars seem to be less well researched than in the past. I am OK with foreign cars, I might learn something. I am OK with 70' and 80's cars, these are what I remember from my teen years. I like the backstory about cars from my lifetime. I am even OK with some stories on aftermarket parts. I have a car with the Ford 200 straight six. I was intrigued by the retrofit EFI fuel injection system available. JUST DON'T ABANDON PRE WAR CARS AND CARS THAT ARE FACTORY STOCK!!!!!

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 3:00 PM, f.f.jones said:

I just read the AACA mission statement (copied below). Unless I missed something, I did not find anything that encourages or discourages modified vehicles. There have been a number of administrative and member posts discouraging modifications, but unless the "official" rules have changed and are written elsewhere, I really can't find where modifications are prohibited.

(show judging,and other competitions excepted) I am not advocating modifications to collectible cars, Just seeking clarification.

Maybe this can be explained without the emotion that this and other threads have evoked.

• Home / 
  • About Us

ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE CLUB OF AMERICA

Our mission statement: America's premiere resource for the collectible vehicle community! 

Since its inception there has been something about the sight, sound, and feel of the automobile that stirs the imagination and the desire to experience the freedom of the open road. Whether it’s the clatter of the single cylinder brass era car or the heavy thumping of big block Detroit musclecars that fuels the addiction, we are all kindred spirits. Vintage cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles are our bond.

Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. From National Meets and Tours to Regional events, AACA is here to bring enthusiasts together through exciting National activities, friendship, and Antique Automobile… an award winning 100-page full color magazine.

We have something for everyone. You don’t have to own a vehicle or know how to turn a wrench. You can be involved at any level you wish. Whether it’s joining our judging teams, doing research in our vast library, or taking the family through the excitement of a National Meet or Tour, the possibilities are endless. Also make sure you visit the world class AACA Museum here in Hershey, PA the “sweetest city on earth.”

So, spend time with us and others sharing your passion. Join up. It's less than the price of a tank of gas and lasts all year. Then check out our Regions and Chapters to find one near you. Get behind the wheel of AACA. We know you’re going to love the ride.

Antique Automobile Club of America
800 W. Hersheypark Drive
Hershey, PA  17033
store@aaca.org
717-534-1910

I don't object to the mission statement.  I have restored for judging,  Then driving was more fun that being judged.   When I need a condenser for my Early Ford V8's

I am comfortable in modifying a 6 volt Chevrolet condenser to work in in my V8 Ford distributor.  A judge with a small mirror could detect that, and i don't care.

All show cars of any real age have something non stock and still get high scores,  I don't care about that either.  Now a Chevrolet big block V8 with a blower in a     

Model A Ford is not my cup of tea,  That's why my Model A Coupe had a small block Ford V8 (289) .  It didn't show as long as I kept the hood closed  (see picture     

above)   All that aside, I still do almost all our touring in real antiques.   

• Like 1

The discussions above remind me of my Uncle.  He started working for the local NBC affiliate in 1949, before the station even went on the air.  His Dad admonished him "Don't waste your time on that TV thing.  It will never amount to anything".  Heard the same thing re the internet.  He retired after 45 years with WGAL in Lancaster PA.  Tried to gift a book to my 17 year old Grandson.  Subject was classic fishing stories. He loves fishing.  He looked at me like I was crazy.  He's bright and a high school Junior but I doubt he has ever read a book cover to cover.  Times they are a changin'.

I'll admit I dont have the patience to read a book!  A magazine is about all I can get through before I get bored. I suppose its my un-diagnosed A.D.D. I look forward to the likes of Hemmings for a couple of hours of entertainment. Usually in the winter I will pick up reading a bit. If the book interests me I can easily get through it in one or two evenings. Usually something fiction and spy related. I like to read Dan Brown stuff. My wife gets irritated with me because she will spend 2 weeks reading a book. I tell her its not a speed contest, I just cant put something down after reading 1 or 2 chapters. 

• 3 weeks later...

The USPS limits the number of pages of advertising based on a percentage of total pages. Page count is set by printing press limits. This is all based on costs by weight for the USPS and efficiency of printing press cycle frames ( can’t remember the official term for them). The postal periodicals increases and then the inefficiency of delivery has caused a lot of publishers to switch entirely to digital as long as the advertisers continue to get results it works for a magazine. Most trade journals are seeing this as a good alternative. Most consumer mags are studying this very closely. I would expect them to offer a subscription price increase for print versions (and it won’t be a small one) and keep the current price for digital subs. No one ever discounts prices for a change. Your renewal dollars barely covers the cost of sending you all of the notices. They do it just to maintain there base advertisers guaranteed number of readers. If they fall below that guarantee they have to reduce the advertisers annual cost by the same percentage. It’s all a numbers game for the three legged stool of magazine publishers. If one leg messes up the stool falls over. If one leg falls short the others have to reduce their size accordingly or they  go out of business completely. Covid is the main driver of this as advertisers are hurting so it is pulling print ads to save dollars. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but have always been taught to give credit where credit is due. The latest issue seems pretty good to me. Nothing modified to extremes, not much with pre war stuff but they do have coverage of Pebble Beach.

I have to agree 

• 6 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, richasco said:

Hemmings as a whole has lost their way. 

I think the entire company culture needs to change.

Since the time Richard Lentinello left, the company

seems to have lost much of its rapport with the hobby.

Its new editor seems aloof and unresponsive.

To illustrate:  Over this long week-end, the Hemmings

website appeared to be working incorrectly.  I phoned

their office to tell them and give them specifics, but I

wasn't allowed to talk to their computer people.  A nice

advertising lady took down what I said, so the people

who need to know will get the information second-hand.

I followed up with a topic discussed here previously:  the

new editor McGean doesn't answer e-mails or take phone

calls.  To me, that gives the impression of aloofness and

unresponsiveness--just the opposite of what the

once-loved Hemmings used to be.  Arrogance never

endears a company to its customers!  The lady confirmed

that I couldn't talk to the editor directly.

Their entire culture needs to be changed.

• Thanks 1