Finally a dream fulfilled, my first Pierce

John Kelso

After many years in this hobby I finally found the proper tow vehicle. the fellow I bought it from assured me it had

the factory towing package, although on close examination I question that. I bought it sight unseen and the seller even offered free gas for 6 months. Unfortunately the engine is seized so I'll need to find a good 460 to install.

20211005_112223.jpg

20211005_111830 (1).jpg

• Like 17

Congratulations, John!  Be sure to join the Pierce-Arrow Society (don't wait till the first of the year--our memberships are now 12 months from whenever you first sign up), and spend a "few" hours searching more than 50 years of technical articles in our Service Bulletins that are online for free download by members.

As to towing, you'll have incredible low end torque, but STOPPING with a trailer may be a bit of a challenge for the 2-wheel brakes 🙂 .  My seat of the pants brake gauge tells me that the hand brake, which operates the external-contracting band, is about 3 times as powerful as the service (internal-expanding) brakes--except in the rain, of course!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great car. Someday soon you will be impressed at how peppy it is.

Check the spare tire bracket. The tow package had a pinned hinge that allowed the tire to swivel to horizontal.

Cowboy hat, dirty road, a guy in a mask; looks like a hold up. Just lacking an indigenous bowman.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Great find- Hope you get the engine running soon to use that free gas offer.

dave s  

That free gas is a terrific deal at 6 mpg on a good day--so hurry up with getting it running!

@60FlatTop no archer in those days....

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fantastic! Love it. Neat body.......a almost never awarded.....three thumbs up!   👍👍👍

And a bonus three, because you certainly deserve it. 👍👍👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Agree with all that has been stated. LOVE the oval glass at the rear quarter of the top and rear window - so evocative of the attitude and view of that era that was to disappear soon afterwards regarding styling. One can easily see the influence of carriage days in the styling of the top. MARVELOUS!   Made my day to see this.

Walt

Made my day too.............suffered a minor case of the Model J blues today. Got it fixed roadside in under an hour.........but...........I missed lunch! So I went to the bar........things are looking up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Agree with all that has been stated. LOVE the oval glass at the rear quarter of the top and rear window - so evocative of the attitude and view of that era that was to disappear soon afterwards regarding styling.

RIght-O!

Very common front door window to many houses of the same vintage!!

Craig

• Like 1

That car is too cool! I would be so tempted to get it right mechanically, and then drive it...at least for a while. 

Oh, I have an idea...get a professional photographer and a professional model to create a character like "Cruella DeVille, to pose with it. (I know she drove later cars in the films, but this just makes me think of stuff like that. 

Awesome find. Congratulations! 

Congrats on picking up such a wonderful Pierce!

I love the oval windows and landau bars, even though it appears they are mounted upside down!

My Rickenbacker has oval quarter windows and landau bars so I may be a little biased.  :P

Those early 6 cylinder engines are very stout and run very strong.

That car is gorgeous! A longtime friend has a 1915/'16 California top Pierce in very good mostly original condition. I have ridden in it a few times. Wonderful riding car! However his doesn't have the oval side windows like yours does. 

Is this a 38? Or 48?

34 minutes ago, zepher said:

I love the oval windows and landau bars, even though it appears they are mounted upside down!

My Rickenbacker has oval quarter windows and landau bars so I may be a little biased.  :P

I noticed that also, but wasn't going to mention it at first. While clearly they are not mounted in the traditional "right" way? It may be that they were in this case mounted that way originally?

Due to the placement of the oval window, and the long and short arms to curve around it, It is not really possible to flip the arms in a way that they would properly set off the window, and have the false "hinge pin" facing the "correct" direction. Because the dummy landau bars are purely ornamental, it really does not matter that the hinge pin faces the wrong direction.

This would not be the first car I have encountered with the dummy landau bars facing the wrong direction. I don't know if I can find it or not, but I believe somewhere in my 'not well enough organized' few thousand era photographs stored in my computer there are a couple original era photographs showing cars with the landau bars pointed the wrong way. I know that I have seen several original era photos showing that over the years. So I know it was done that way at least sometimes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lump said:

Oh, I have an idea...get a professional photographer and a professional model to create a character like "Cruella DeVille, to pose with it. 

My wife might be available....

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Pierce-Arrow is a magnificent, the 'California Top' with its charming oval windows and elegant landau irons is icing on the cake.

Yes, congratulations on the new acquisition, Alan!

Does this California top have, like others I've seen,

the Eisenglass windows that roll down from above?

Thanks for all the response. At this time the plan is to repair the engine so we can enjoy the car. I think I can salvage the rear leather except the cushion. Front seats need redone. All three cylinders are cracked and will need repaired, am in the process of removing the engine now. The side windows are glass and beveled as is the quarter window. I am not a fan of California tops but it is growing on me.

A curious thing to me is the right running board, under the pyramid aluminum at the front is the cast tire wells. Any thoughts? the spare holder on the rear is definitely to small to  hold the spare tires.

It has been many years since I've gotten an unmolested car and it is being well documented

Despite any issues it may have I feel very fortunate to have this Pierce 38

DSC06610.JPG

DSC06622.JPG

DSC06661 (1).JPG

DSC06645.JPG

DSC06647.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAK said:

A curious thing to me is the right running board, under the pyramid aluminum at the front is the cast tire wells. Any thoughts? the spare holder on the rear is definitely to small to  hold the spare tires.

My educated guess from the info and photos provided is that the rear spare mount is an add-on at some time.  The runningboards with spare wells would have been original equipment unless rear spares were specified; the boards would be plain if originally delivered with rear-mounted spares.  Rear-mounted spares on these cars mean no trunk possible (well, almost not possible, I suppose).  The right front door is useless with or without spares on the runningboard for anyone older than 25 due to the gear shift and handbrake in the way.

I believe I have at least one of the brackets to hold RB spares if you need any.

Edited by Grimy
clarified (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Grimy, I was trying to determine if the car had come with side mounted spares or rear mounted and you have answered this. I think the rear castings on each end and perhaps the bar are correct. the rest added later(had thoughts of the cover picture on the Jack Passey book) I would prefer to return the spares to the side and find a trunk rack or drawings

Just now, Bloo said:

Right hand drive still in 1917?

Through 1920, to preserve the basic chassis design with remote 4-speed transmission, concentric tubes for hand brake and shifter, etc.  For 1921, Pierce went to unit engine-trans, 3-speed transmission, left hand drive, and much deeper gear ratios to make shifting a crash box less onerous.

• Like 2

@JAKthat 5-passenger touring body is about the best looking open body on these cars--IF the California top (admittedly part of this car's charm) is jettisoned.  There are some people in the PAS who can make, or have, sets of top bows in case you choose to go that route.