RIP Charlie Watts

deaddds

He had a Type 57 SC.............but like 99 percent of the owners who do have drivers licenses, they don't drive them either. 

12 hours ago, deaddds said:

Interesting note in his obit is he had a nice car collection but didn’t drive. Just preferred sitting in them.

Maybe that was a good thing that he did not drive? Could you just imagine Keith Richards on the road in his prime? 

I had the pleasure of seeing them perform several times and they really are entertainers, I never heard anyone say that they saw them and were disappointed with the show. They were about to go on tour in a few weeks but I heard Charlie was going to sit this one out. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Could you just imagine Keith Richards on the road in his prime? 

😬

Charlie was probably the sanest and calmest Stane of all of them. A true English gentleman, in temperament and appearance. Whether he drove or not, it's good to know he appreciated cars.

I often think the only reason Keith is still alive is that he's literally pickled.

• Haha 1

I had Keith Richards and his girl friend Patty Hanson, (before marriage), on charter in 1983. Picked them up in St. Thomas and was told by my owner to get them

out of US waters as soon as possible. At midnight, Keith comes strutting down the dock in a green velvet jacket with ruffled stock, flared shirt, “Robin Hood” boots and a pair of jeans that was more skin then cloth! Patty Hansen was the nicest person that I’d ever had on the yacht. Keith was a blast but pretty F*<£^d up most of the time. From what was brought aboard, I’m truly impressed that he is still alive! If I’d known that I could’ve done that much and survived this long, I would’ve enjoyed my time with the Studio 54 group a bunch more!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I had never heard the name, so I had to 

look him up.  As the posters here obviously

know, he was the drummer for the Rolling

Stones--the rock band which formed 58 years ago.

Now someone is surely laughing at me.

But if you were around in 1963, did you know

all the members of the most popular bands that

started in 1905?!   😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

😬

Charlie was probably the sanest and calmest Stane of all of them. A true English gentleman, in temperament and appearance. Whether he drove or not, it's good to know he appreciated cars.

I often think the only reason Keith is still alive is that he's literally pickled.

Bill Wyman was pretty sane also, I think he was older then Charlie. I always read that the addition of Ron Wood to replace Mick Taylor had added a lot of stability. As much of Keith Richards persona of party animal on stage he is professional. There is never any footage of him falling down stumbling on stage, or even stories of it, off stage that's another story. They did fire Brian Jones because he partied too much, that is a statement in itself getting fired by The Rolling Stones because you partied too much, WOW!. unfortunately he passed away shortly afterwards 

A lot of musicians are car guys, Mark Knoffler of Dire Straights has some high end vintage race cars ( I believe Ferraris) Roger Waters from Pink Floyd races vintage cars, Jeff Beck builds street rods, and does his own work, Neil Young is collector, I am sure there are many more  

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

look him up.

🤣🤣 ME TOO!!  🤣🤣

While I do appreciate some of the music from that era, I was a strange kid! Before I was ten, I built a crystal radio, and found a classical station I listened to oh so many nights. I actually was a loyal listener of that station almost their entire time on the air. I later found out they went on the air only about a year before I built the crystal set. I listened to them clear up until the classical station lost their longtime lease for the station and license and were forced off the air in favor of just another talk show station willing to pay much more for the access to the airwaves.

I have very eclectic tastes in music. Classical, opera, country western (it ain't country if it don't yodel!), 1920s jazz era, folk music from many eras and parts of the world!

However, ten minutes before I saw your post above? I was listening to Puccini opera.

Regardless, RIP to what sounds like a fine man and stabilizing influence in a rough area of Rock n Roll!

With Virginia International Raceway here seeing rockers and movie folk is common. Met Neil Young when he had LincVolt over there for testing, his crowd was having dinner in a local steakhouse and when he saw the three of us and our car shirts, we had an enjoyable conversation about cars. I don't think anyone else in there knew who he was.

Now, if Roger Waters were to race at VIR, I'd go to watch that!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

look him up.  As the posters here obviously

know, he was the drummer for the Rolling

Stones--the rock band which formed 58 years ago.

Now someone is surely laughing at me.

But if you were around in 1963, did you know

all the members of the most popular bands that

started in 1905?!   😁

Exactly what makes the RS the greatest rock band ever.  At 57 I can relate to RS fans in their 70s or 20s, a fairly wide spread few other bands can claim.  

It has been said the R&R era is coming to a close so I suspect they keep that title.

Didn't know Charlie was a collector though, interesting...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

While I do appreciate some of the music from that era, I was a strange kid! Before I was ten, I built a crystal radio, and found a classical station I listened to oh so many nights....

True story:

When my cousin was a high school senior,

the class did a survey.  One of the questions was,

"What is your favorite rock group?"

His answer:  "Sedimentary."

I guess he didn't like igneous and metamorphic varieties.

Everyone's an individual, so there's no need to follow the

crowd.  He's a great computer whiz, but clearly not a 

follower of popular music!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Exactly what makes the RS the greatest rock band ever.  At 57 I can relate to RS fans in their 70s or 20s, a fairly wide spread few other bands can claim.  

It has been said the R&R era is coming to a close so I suspect they keep that title.

Didn't know Charlie was a collector though, interesting...

I don't know about coming to a close. Last Friday my youngest son purchased tickets for a Dead and Company Concert at Citi Field  for a Fathers Day gift (The latest morph of the Grateful Dead) The crowd consisted of 60-70 year old parents and their 30 something year old children. It was a great show, and good to see younger people carrying the torch

9973.jpeg

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

John that's great.  My son plans to attend the same show in Sept. here in CT. 

But that said, the market, and several prominent rock artists point to popular music genres all having a lifecycle of sorts as "the" genre of the time, driven by younger gen.  Kids today in general terms are not listening to rock as much.  I forget the %, but Rap and it's derivatives are outpacing rock by a large sales margin (I don't like it either, FWIW) We will continue to see it have a place, but the times they are a changin' as has been said... 😕

7 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Kids today in general terms are not listening to rock as much.  I forget the %, but Rap and it's derivatives are outpacing rock by a large sales margin (I don't like it either, FWIW) We will continue to see it have a place, but the times they are a changin' as has been said... 😕

Steve, sometimes it's frighteningly bad.

We generally bring in some great live acts at my club, at peak we run live music 5 days a week.  Mostly rock and country.  Many cover bands (what we used to call top 40 bands), tribute shows, similar to what John348 saw, which are very successful.  Indoor shows, outdoor shows, we do it all, (but NEVER karaoke!)  :lol:

I can tell you it is very important to keep control of the room and what noise the people are listening to.  I run sound many nights and always switch to comparable audio/video music to match the live show when they go on break.   Many's the time on a Saturday night when a great band is on stage, a group of young 20's come in, listen for a while and one will make his way to the sound booth and ask "When does the band go on break so we can play the jukebox?"  :huh:  I let it happen once, years ago, they went straight for the ghettoist rap you could imagine.  A real room killer.  I stopped the juke, gave them their $5 back and hit the house music, they pissed and moaned, shook their man-buns in fury and left but they remaining 99.9% stayed and enjoyed the rest of their night.

Trouble is, we all grew up with some type of real musician we all wanted to emulate.  Remember how many guys you'd see air guitaring (or air drumming) at every dance club?  The 20 somethings just don't have the array of live music artists we had to influence them.   So I'm afraid, as you said earlier, true R&R is in its death throes. 

I have a pretty broad appreciation for music, from punk rock to opera, however I am not a fan of rap.  Early stuff like Tone Loc or Bell Biv DeVoe is alright but it all went downhill from there.  I think the real problem I have with rap is that it seems so..... counterfeit.  There are no real musicians involved, most of the noise is computer generated and the only live "performer" is the guy rhyming into the mike.  Sort of like real bad karaoke. 

But this fits entirely with the "instant gratification" generation, so it makes total sense that very few are willing to put months or years into honing a craft like playing guitar, when a computer app can give 'em the noise they seek with no actual understanding of music, scales, chords, etc.

Jeez, ...I just re-read this before I post and realize I've turned into grumpy Mr. Wilson next door.  :lol:

48 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Jeez, ...I just re-read this before I post and realize I've turned into grumpy Mr. Wilson next door.  :lol:

Greg:  Wanting good music isn't grumpiness!

Good music is more than a fad clinging to someone's personality.

That's why some music is just as calming and

satisfying 400 years after it was written.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Amen brother.

The point being as the bad boys of rock and roll they could not have pulled off that many performances being high, drunk or both. They had a great saxophone player Bobby Keys, they fired for that reason. Known best for his solos on Brown Sugar and Can't You Hear Me Knock'n. MIck had no room for unprofessional actions on stage, when it was time to perform it was time to perform.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Many cover bands (what we used to call top 40 bands), tribute shows,

If you like cover bands you should try to get the Lexington Lab Band. My favorite cover band of all time. They cover a little bit of everything and the sound is awesome. Here is an example:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skynrd great, but is Green Grass & High Tides superior to Freebird?  Hmm., lets not go there.  😁😁😁

Greg, I get it.  This could be a dissertation but your seeing what I am talking about, and yes, rap basically sucks. 

Meanwhe, in CT Bob gets "Keefe" for a neighbor, I get 50 Cent here in CT.  Once again, Fairfield county wins.. 😡😉😁

19 hours ago, John348 said:

A lot of musicians are car guys, Mark Knoffler of Dire Straights has some high end vintage race cars ( I believe Ferraris) Roger Waters from Pink Floyd races vintage cars, Jeff Beck builds street rods, and does his own work, Neil Young is collector, I am sure there are many more  

Mike Ness of Social Distortion has (I'm told) a really unique collection of hot rods, etc., many of which he built himself. Elvis had a lot of cars. Liberace did. Wayne Newton has a pretty good collection. Money allows a lot of hobbies.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Meanwhe, in CT Bob gets "Keefe" for a neighbor, I get 50 Cent here in CT. 

Here in Palm Springs, I've got Barry Manilow.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If you like cover bands you should try to get the Lexington Lab Band. My favorite cover band of all time. They cover a little bit of everything and the sound is awesome. Here is an example:

Great band and excellent film editing too. Took me right back to high school.

1 hour ago, Golden73 said:

Mike Ness of Social Distortion has (I'm told) a really unique collection of hot rods, etc., many of which he built himself. Elvis had a lot of cars. Liberace did. Wayne Newton has a pretty good collection. Money allows a lot of hobbies.

I think some of Ness's cars have been featured in his and SD's videos.

Money also allows hiring someone to maintain them so all you have to do is get in and drive when the urge hits.

Wonder if Charlie Watts had someone to do that, and drive him around in them if he wanted?

On 8/25/2021 at 10:56 PM, 1937hd45 said:

He lives one town over, I'd give his wife most credit to him still being around. Bob 

I can also confirm. My former neighbor in Fairfield County had Keith adjacent to her on one side and a huge, known CEO, now passed on the other. She would tell a few stories of seeing Keith and Mick stumbling down the road. One day she came home and they were on her lawn....RIP Charlie!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John348 said:

The point being as the bad boys of rock and roll they could not have pulled off that many performances being high, drunk or both. They had a great saxophone player Bobby Keys, they fired for that reason. Known best for his solos on Brown Sugar and Can't You Hear Me Knock'n. MIck had no room for unprofessional actions on stage, when it was time to perform it was time to perform.  

Just watched a documentary on Kiss. Paul Stanley and gene Simmons didn’t use drugs or alcohol. Gene Simmons case out and said he just didn’t like either and when their drummer and guitarist got hooked, they tried to get them off of it as their friends but eventually, both were let go. Though no they he stones, they were their own R&R entity that continued through decades. You have to have the majority or the controlling people lick that crap in the bud or you’ll never last more than a few years no matter how good you are.

11 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Skynrd great, but is Green Grass & High Tides superior to Freebird?  Hmm., lets not go there.  😁😁😁

Greg, I get it.  This could be a dissertation but your seeing what I am talking about, and yes, rap basically sucks. 

Meanwhe, in CT Bob gets "Keefe" for a neighbor, I get 50 Cent here in CT.  Once again, Fairfield county wins.. 😡😉😁

The outlaws used more bluegrass style in their southern rock and if you like that, you might vote for the later. I was good friends with the late Charlie Daniels and was fortunate to hang out with him at many shows plus ride and rope with him. He was another top southern rock artist that many today in the business  still admire today. They just held a volunteer jam in TN last week in memorial of charlie gone now just over a year. He was also a great American and I’m happy I was able to know the man and not just the musician. Charlie had a few mustangs that he was going to restore one day that go hauled off the ranch a few months back. I had been thinking of asking him if he wanted me to restore one of them up for him but time never allowed for it. 

• Like 1

Yep, definately get the difference and as an Outlaws fan, I guess I am part of the "cult following", besides, I always figured maybe someday I could sneak into the guitar army.  Not quite the same after passing of Hughie Thommason but still touring.  Saw CDB as well back in the day, a great live band also.

Add Alice Cooper and the late J. Geils (vintage racer) to the list of collectors as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Steve, sometimes it's frighteningly bad.

We generally bring in some great live acts at my club, at peak we run live music 5 days a week.  Mostly rock and country.  Many cover bands (what we used to call top 40 bands), tribute shows, similar to what John348 saw, which are very successful.  Indoor shows, outdoor shows, we do it all, (but NEVER karaoke!)  :lol:

I can tell you it is very important to keep control of the room and what noise the people are listening to.  I run sound many nights and always switch to comparable audio/video music to match the live show when they go on break.   Many's the time on a Saturday night when a great band is on stage, a group of young 20's come in, listen for a while and one will make his way to the sound booth and ask "When does the band go on break so we can play the jukebox?"  :huh:  I let it happen once, years ago, they went straight for the ghettoist rap you could imagine.  A real room killer.  I stopped the juke, gave them their $5 back and hit the house music, they pissed and moaned, shook their man-buns in fury and left but they remaining 99.9% stayed and enjoyed the rest of their night.

Trouble is, we all grew up with some type of real musician we all wanted to emulate.  Remember how many guys you'd see air guitaring (or air drumming) at every dance club?  The 20 somethings just don't have the array of live music artists we had to influence them.   So I'm afraid, as you said earlier, true R&R is in its death throes. 

I have a pretty broad appreciation for music, from punk rock to opera, however I am not a fan of rap.  Early stuff like Tone Loc or Bell Biv DeVoe is alright but it all went downhill from there.  I think the real problem I have with rap is that it seems so..... counterfeit.  There are no real musicians involved, most of the noise is computer generated and the only live "performer" is the guy rhyming into the mike.  Sort of like real bad karaoke. 

But this fits entirely with the "instant gratification" generation, so it makes total sense that very few are willing to put months or years into honing a craft like playing guitar, when a computer app can give 'em the noise they seek with no actual understanding of music, scales, chords, etc.

I'm going to go "old geezer" on you too............  I remember years ago a certain Rap artist was named Musician of the year.  I knew who he was, couldn't stand his music, but read the article about his talent and performance.  It was apparent to me that he is a "produced" commodity.  I commented to my wife that "if he can't tell me how many flats are in the key of F, he can't be musician of the year.  If they want to call him entertainer of the year, I'm fine with it".  My family uses that line against me periodically to poke fun at the fact that I'm an old man.  My cousin has been in the music industry hard for 40 years, we grew up together.  He is immensely talented and did the LA rock scene for 10 year but has been in Nashville for 30 years now.  He has played with and knows everyone.  We had a conversation one time about Garth Brooks saying that he was lucky, that there are 10,000 guys in Nashville who can play the guitar and sing better than him.  My cousin agreed.  He told me that it is more important how he looks, than his music ability to be a star.  He is crazy talented but is in the gym 7 days a week staying in shape and doesn't party.  He is a pro.  A few years ago he told me his step daughter was in New York for some Mock up performances and image testing with a top recording agency.  I commented to him that I didn't know she was a musician and he told me "she isn't, but she has the look and personality" (tall leggy blonde with traffic stopping looks and an attitude).  He told me if they like her looks, they can make her a star, the talent will be dubbed in around her and social media will do the rest.  

Give me Leon Russell, The Dead, Steely Dan, Chet Baker, Bill Evans.......

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1