Have modern car marketing dept's finally jumped the shark ?

1912Staver

I was picking up a few grocery's this morning when I noticed a massive SUV / minivan { but nothing "mini " about it } sort of thing parked next to me. Not a square inch of it was anything but black in color except the Honda emblem on the tailgate and a second chrome emblem beside it proudly proclaiming " Black Edition ".

No **** Sherlock !

It was so big and black it seemed like I could feel it starting to pull me into a gravitational field as I got nearer to it.

CIA field vehicle ? Or just a middle age couple who hit the big time in the local property lottery ?

The world is a strange place these days.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1912Staver changed the title to Have modern car marketing dept's finally jumped the shark ?
1 minute ago, 1912Staver said:

I was picking up a few grocery's this morning when I noticed a massive SUV / minivan sort of thing parked next to me. Not a square inch of it was anything but black in color except the Honda emblem on the tailgate and a second chrome emblem beside it proudly proclaiming " Black Edition ".

Sounds like a Monty Python thing.  

Monty Python's Big Red Book - Books

Craig

At least Monty Python is wickedly funny. Vehicles like this Honda just seem to me to be so excessive as to border on obscene. Yes, we know you have a lot of money, are you really so insecure you have to jump up and down shouting it ? Sadly, it seems these days many are.

30 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

I think new car marketing jumped the shark when Mercedes declared that a coupe can have four doors.

That would be correct.

I agree that calling a sedan a coupe because it's not a box is a milestone, but the trail is an old one.

"Roadsters" for 2 seat convertible coupes (many guilty parties).

Mercedes and Mercury "phaeton" for a sedan and a 4dr hardtop, respectively.

GM's "all-weather phaetons" for convertible sedans.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I agree that calling a sedan a coupe because it's not a box is a milestone, but the trail is an old one.

"Roadsters" for 2 seat convertible coupes (many guilty parties).

Mercedes and Mercury "phaeton" for a sedan and a 4dr hardtop, respectively.

GM's "all-weather phaetons" for convertible sedans.

True. GM was also guilty of calling the colonnade cars "hardtops".

Cutlass--1024x453.png

When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." ...........Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A religious group here in Lancaster county always drove black cars and went to great lengths to remove or paint over chrome on their cars.  The factory all black should be a popular selection for them.

• Like 2

Somehow I get the impression the rationale behind the all black option is for reasons about 180 degrees from the reasons of the religious group. Through a long evolution starting with {possibly } "black leather jackets " these all black vehicles seem to be thought of by a segment of the public to be " bad ass ". And therefore in a complete twist of what were once mainstream values a new version of " cool " . I find it hard to believe that ANY vehicle that has at least one foot in the minivan mindset could ever be considered " cool ", but there are many aspects of current culture that leave me shaking my head.

The door handles on this porker were at about the top of my roof on my Hyundai. Itself no low slung sports model.

The one I saw even had what I expect is a factory accessory , pretty honking big in its own right, top mount luggage pod. A band on tour ?

2021 Honda CR-V Black Edition Looks Astonishing - Honda Car Models

Certainly mean no offense to anyone but I dont understand the general idea of this thread. Is it that black cars are ostentatious? Hondas are bad? Mini vans are uncool?  Im not sure how a Honda mini van can be considered excessive and obscene. How about a guy that drives an $80k F250 to his office job, just because its cool to drive a truck? I would surmise just about everyone on this forum has a 'toy' (antique car) that is excessive and obscene as considered by the general population. Honestly, who needs an old car to drive maybe a dozen times a year, that gets horrible gas mileage. Now thats excessive, and yes I am included and my car is BLACK!  

• Like 5

Point taken. Except mini vans are without question " uncool "

I personally like older British sports cars , usually with anything up to 100 whole,  mind bending H.P. I would be driving one today except they have become quite expensive to buy and operate compared to my now 11 year old, bottom of the line, econobox.  But I am fully aware they are not for everyone and every transport situation.

The only black car I have ever owned is my  1969 Lotus Europa . I bought it in 1977. White from the factory , the second owner re painted it black at the time JPS Europa's { 1973 I think } were introduced and deemed cool.  When I finally get it back on the road it will once again be white.

I guess driving a relatively small car tends to contrast just how big many vehicles have become. But to me , after a couple of decades of MG's , Triumph's, and the odd TVR and Lotus thrown in even my Accent seems to be a pretty big { tall for sure } car. 

If I need to haul something I do have a old truck and feel comfortable driving it and my car trailer. But it is strictly a temp. permit to get a specific job done situation. No way I would ever use it as a daily driver.

A Honda mini van that costs $65,000.00 might be just a bit over the top. Perhaps even a tad ostentatious. My Accent was all of $14,000.00 and to me at least pretty blasted expensive at that. But at 11 years , 280,000 KM. and still running flawlessly I suppose it was worth the splurge after all.

I cant say I disagree with any of the above statements. I have just been looking for a new to me truck to replace my 20 yr old ford, and I dont see anything for less than 30k and thats for something 6 and 7 yrs old. Ridiculous if you ask me. The average price for a truck seems to be 60k! I just dont get it!!!

• Like 2

Also my original point was the absurdity of having a very obviously, extremely black vehicle and still feeling the need to have an emblem stating that it was indeed a " Black Edition ". Sort of like a " Blue edition " sky.  But that did admittedly get lost in my more universal rant about bloated vehicles in general.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Certainly mean no offense to anyone but I dont understand the general idea of this thread.

I read the point of this thread as a comment on the ridiculousness of needing to put a badge that says "Black Edition" on a vehicle that was monochrome black.

captain-obvious-approves-this-message.jp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Point taken. Except mini vans are without question " uncool "

Not to the soccer mom or the couple with 4 or 5 kids.  What about the coolness of our hulking tow vehicles.  I don't think I ever considered the "cool" factor since I purchased my used 58 Impala in 1963.   I was looking at Palasades last week and the only color they had was black.  Black must sell.  Regarding the $65K Honda, we are in an inflation spiral and it has only begun.  I was at Kroger's yesterday and 3 Rib Eyes were $42.  That bothers me more than a "Black Edition" Honda and I am not a buyer of either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

3 Rib Eyes were $42.  That bothers me more than a "Black Edition" Honda and I am not a buyer of either

I'll take the Rib Eyes with a little salt sprinkled on them before they hit the grille!  I do no recommend adding salt to the Honda...

More in keeping with this thread, my wife teaches grade 2 and to introduce her students to ratios she sends them to the staff parking lot to count the number of black vehicles vs the number of white with the only other color being grey.  Maybe we've boring as a society in our none color choice and I'm just as guilty as the rest, I just ordered by third black truck in a row.  At least it will have chrome still.  I actually did look at other colors but decided that since I intend to keep the truck for a long time, black is the most timeless color. 

6 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I think new car marketing jumped the shark when Mercedes declared that a coupe can have four doors

That shark was jumped back when they called a car with a back seat a coupe!

If you call a car a coupe, it better have just a front seat!🤣

Three rib eyes for $42 would be an OK deal if they were over an inch thick! 

It's a product of marketing research, and appeals to the American psyche. Black is like Batman the Dark Knight, associated with tough outlaws.

1981 BMW 320i 5-Speed1981 BMW 320i 5-Speed

Black is a very popular color, and at auction black cars often sell for more. This one went for $23k, but what I found interesting is many potential bidders complained that the interior wasn't black too. They said if only the interior was black too it would be perfect. I thought wow, black over tan is perfect. Black with black would be gross.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’m biased as I think modern cars are overpriced plastic. User friendly but, flimsy appliances 

IDK bout that Bob. The user friendly part that is. I have tried "customizing" a few settings in me 08 F150's "driver info panel" and the truck won't have it. Lord knows what a 2021 with even more electronics would be like, because the default settings are often not what I would like.

I rented a 2019 Hyundai couple years back. Nice little car, 48mpg at 70mph with AC on, but I drove it nearly 50 miles before I figured out the cruise control.

I don't expect much from a daily vehicle other than it's reliable, comfortable and simple to operate. 2 out of 3 is about as good as I can expect in these days of computer-geek mental masturbation devices disguised as transportation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had to look up “jumped the shark”.  Never heard it that I can remember but see it’s taken from an episode from Happy Days.  Some sales gimmicks I just don’t understand, all black was one of them. I like color!

BA6C73E2-C4C4-488C-BBCA-3A96E2D3659F.jpeg

3328A048-493B-4386-A8B3-106878121E68.jpeg

17 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’m biased as I think modern cars are overpriced plastic. User friendly but, flimsy appliances 

User friendly to me is a vehicle with a radio I can turn on, adjust the volume and find the channel I like, heat and AC adjustments too. Think the last one I could do that with was built in 1985. Anything build after 1999 is to complicated and expensive for me. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ditto Terry.  California freeways are just an ocean of White, Black and Silver (Gray) cars.... blah.

I really miss the bright colors as well.  We went shopping for a new Cadillac for my wife a few weeks ago.  The ONLY stipulation we had was NO BLACK!  Of course when all the dust settled the best deal we found (and bought) was a black one, ugh!  My T-bird is also black (double ugh!) You just can't get away from it here!

freeway.jpg.efbdba2f02dcf4659d44b8ca5717bdd0.jpg

4 hours ago, TexasJohn55 said:

What do we do with the back seat in a Coupe deVille?

When I was in my twenties I would use it for something I won’t use it for now. In my seventies it would be for the two pups to ride in. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Doesn't your son work for Tesla?

Yes he does.  He can have a Tesla whenever he wants to drive one, including the Model S Plaid is (1020hp rating) that he’s had for the last few weeks. His personal preference is to have some fun with European cars with Porsche ownership as a goal.  With college debt a big part of his life right now, an affordable fun car is his present desire.  The photo is a Tesla S Plaid prototype he was testing recently.

9CBE25E9-0512-4798-8219-C503F029FAB6.jpeg

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like black cars for several reasons. I hate hood, door, and deck lid gaps. With black cars they disappear- they appear as one shape instead of segments. 

I like black cars because they are straighter than especially light colored cars - not so much these days but in the past the factories would have to spend more time on a black car before it went to paint - if not done right black will show any imperfection and some car companies would charge a little more for a black car, that's ok it's straighter.

Black cars show dirt easier, that's ok I like a clean car. That means I wash it more often and that's better for the car.

My wife and I both think black cars look richer than a equivalent white car.

As far as cars with color today, they are mostly if not all metallic so that reduces the choice to white or black however there are some black and white cars or trucks that have a metallic or a pearl in them. I wanted a new black truck, but the black they were using had a metallic gold flake in it so I went with white, why?, easier to color match if I ever had a accident. 

On 6/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, TexasJohn55 said:

What do we do with the back seat in a Coupe deVille?

Exactly my point. The shark was jumped in naming cars when the manufacturers named a car with a back seat a Coupe!👍

• Haha 1