Diehards at 80* ?

R Walling

4 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

Today I turned 81. I am deep in building an automotive  project. How many more 80*enthuses are deep into their project on a daily basis? 

👨‍🦳

This dude still goes out in the garage most days at 95 and was knee deep in restoration work until last year when he finally started to slow down a bit.

IMG_6951.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

👨‍🦳

40 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This dude still goes out in the garage most days at 95 and was knee deep in restoration work until last year when he finally started to slow down a bit.

IMG_6951.jpg

God luv ya.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roger Walling said:

Today I turned 81. I am deep in building an automotive  project. How many more 80*enthuses are deep into their project on a daily basis? 

👨‍🦳

You're 25 days my senior. While I'm done with major restorations the 5 I still have still require a bit of TLC to keep them road worthy. Between the cars, my machine shop, my wood shop and taking care of 100 acres with near a 1/2 mile of horse fence keeps me occupied. In warmer weather there's also camping and hang gliding with my flying friends. I almost always knock off at 1600 to spend time with my best friends, Martin and Beau, just sitting and enjoying a beer, a cigar, and their company.

Enclosed is a pix of my latest project. A Gerstner type cherry tool box to hold my finer machine and automotive tools. Every time I make one it ends up getting commandeered by family or friends. Usually as a jewelry or other such box............Bob

20201202_133710.jpg

20201202_133849.jpg

20201202_134001.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog
Changes 25 years to the correct 25 days. Sheesh. (see edit history)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

You guys are doing great.  I'm only 70 but was out in the shop today.  Pulled the carpet, floor boards and the top of the transmission on June Bug.  Linkage was sloppy on the hand break and it wouldn't stay set. Repaired that and changed the oil in the gearbox.  

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Any true car guy never gives up on the garage. AJ’s dad ......Big Al.........still is sharp. He drove from Boston to Palm Beach last year in two days if my memory is correct. I expect to see  Big Al and Sandy in a few weeks for their annual Florida trip. They always rate a ride in a Duesenberg to lunch at the Old Key Lime House. 

Want to know what the hobby was like back in the 50’s? Big Al calls EVERY sedan a parts car........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!  I’m about 5 months younger than you. Head out to the shop every day, but don’t seem to get much done. No health problems, just easily distracted by some little project while the big projects just sit there.

Oh well, maybe I’ll go take a little nap then get out there and get after it.

• Like 5

Happy Birthday! Congratulations, you are in rare company, for sure. In spite of the fact that there are not many people actively restoring cars, I do have two friends who are both are 82 yrs old and still restoring cars. One is a retired Boeing engineer, who lives on acreage, in a house he and his wife built themselves, during the 60's. The house is high up in the Cascade foothills. When they built there was little around them. Their property is now surrounded by multi million dollar homes, but they're not going anywhere. He gets out almost every day, helps his wife with the choirs. They take care of the animals and the property by themselves, without any help. After the choirs he turns his attention to the car he is restoring.

The second friend is a retired chemist, which was his first career. Today he is a one man contractor, who does building projects, remodeling etc. and also volunteers for projects for "Habitat for Humanity," helping people get back on there feet. He also built a nice shop/garage for his car collection. In his spare time, he is currently working on three cars. He gets his satisfaction out of bringing them back. He likes the challenge, but once he finishes he needs to move on to another project. He claims that he doesn't want to get old, and that the work keeps him young.

Health, a self reliant attitude, and an active, supportive, wife seems the be what allows both them to both keep going. There's also the fact that they have never taken a long break from what they love to do. 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

He likes the challenge, but once he finishes he needs to move on to another project. He claims that he doesn't want to get old, and that the work keeps him young.

Exactly my  philosophy, I slacked off about a year or so ago because I have to many cars and I felt miserable.

Now I get in about 5 hours of work daily, except Sat and Sunday.

Ps, 

I noticed that my neighbors garage door was open and there were no lights on, so I went in to check on him.

He was there and I told him why I was there, he replied that he was ok and and noted that he was 101 years old.

I offered to close the door for him and he replied, " No thanks, I can handle it!"

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My hope is to make it healthy to 95 just like AJ's dad, then get shot by a Model J Duesenberg owner stealing his car off the 18th green at Pebble. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So good to hear of so many of us doing well !

My Hershey group is 81, 82, 86 and 98, plus I am the baby- will turn 81  on the 28th.

Have 6 automobiles all need some sort of effort, from just take it out and drive it to complete restoration. 

Happy Birthday to all, of any age  !

57 consecutive years at HERSHEY, was there this year to meet a friend who came to meet me from NY. 

• Like 1