New car conundrum

Matt Harwood

So, yeah, I just heard from the dealer. It's not coming back before the holiday. Next week. Maybe.

I'm going to tie off this thread as we move into the litigation phase of our adventure, as I did with the CTS tailgate eating my hand. We'll see what happens. It will be interesting because GM already knows who I am and has already given me a pretty big pile of money. What will their reaction be this time? I'm curious to find out.

Sorry GM. No more of your cars for me. I really wanted to give you a chance to show me you could compete with the rest of the world and sadly, you just can't.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sorry GM. No more of your cars for me. I really wanted to give you a chance to show me you could compete with the rest of the world and sadly, you just can't.

Matt, please edit!  I hope you mean no more of your "new" cars!  I look forward to seeing the old GM cars that you own and that you sell. 

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

So, yeah, I just heard from the dealer. It's not coming back before the holiday. Next week. Maybe.

I'm going to tie off this thread as we move into the litigation phase of our adventure, as I did with the CTS tailgate eating my hand. We'll see what happens. It will be interesting because GM already knows who I am and has already given me a pretty big pile of money. What will their reaction be this time? I'm curious to find out.

Matt, idle thought. Not that it's any consolation but, could this be some sort of pre production model??

I too agree that, today dealerships want glorified parts changers as opposed to actual troubleshooting technicians.

My wife insisted on the 2020 Envision. It's the (excuse me while I swallow my vomit) Chinese model. Prior to that we had a 2017 Traverse. Both had many of those same bells and whistles (no nav, I'm my own nav). Both have been flawless in their operation. Nothing but gas, oil, tires. Many of those messages are probably because personal settings aren't to your liking.

But the "that's not how this is supposed to work" makes me wonder about a pre production

Best of luck and happy Thanksgiving, John

Edited by cooterbfd
add sentence (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Exactly.  I won't buy anything GM. I idolized the company for years as the best of America.  But no more.  I own a Toyota Tacoma.  By simply putting something out there, they will continue but they are way behind the electric car chase despite coming out with the Volt.  But they didn't support that product,  instead focusing on profitable trucks and SUVs.  Now they won't even introduce the all new Electric offroad vehicle as a Chevy-GMC. 

The only problem at GM is it’s run by people who have no clue what an automobile was, is, or should be. The CEO of a car company should have the skills to assemble an engine...........and that hasn’t happened for a LONG time.

• Like 4

On 11/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Mark Shaw said:

My only complaint is that GM charges for navigation updates.  Evidently, GM is ignoring the fact that most of their customers can and do get free navigation on their cell phones.....  

OE Navigation systems developers seem very determined to not let their baby die, across all manufacturers.  Heck, owners of some 2015 Lexus models can’t update their navigation systems, at all. Lexus no longer offers their (also paid) updates on them.

My old car hobby always over reached into my daily transportation. There were always so many nicely maintained, quality cars available in the 15 to 30 year old range. They were my choice for many years. It was great to stop in and show my Dad my latest purchase. He would drive them and marvel at how tight and quiet they were. His approval and that of my Uncle's made me feel real good. I remember pulling into my Uncle Frank's driveway with a '66 Toronado into the early 1990's. He said "You always have such nice "road cars". Usually they got a little shabby from year round use and I sold them to a collector who planned to restore them. I had one friend who would ask when I was going to get another car because he needed my old one.

Around the turn of the century my daughter became socially sensitive about her image. Picking her and her friends in front of the movie theater in my block long '67 Sedan DeVille really got to her once. Of course, me in the cowboy hat and boots didn't help the image any. Shortly after that, maybe a week or so, I bought a nice car that was a couple of years old. Followed by a couple of new trucks and newer cars. That changed my buying habits, but I am sinking back to my old ways. My wife has a bad back and I am thinking the seat in a 1949 to 1956 Packard, Olds, or Caddy would be just as good as a crossover. And overall a much better car. I still have my truck.

OBD2 has not been a big issue with me, but the intended OBD3 goes beyond my belief in the 1984 Syndrome. I may not participate. At least try not to.

To the topic and Matt's car, I have a business that is not car related, but I maintain a special account for customer satisfaction and he would have had a thoroughly vetted replacement by now. The only reason GM is still in business is from deleting all value of the original company stock and selling the new company's ill gotten gain, claiming it profit.

In the corporate boardroom two MBA's and a doctorate will beat a pragmatist any day.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

The only problem at GM is it’s run by people who have no clue what an automobile was, is, or should be. The CEO of a car company should have the skills to assemble an engine...........and that hasn’t happened for a LONG time.

I agree, she is clueless.

Ben

• Like 2

Beyond clueless...

I gave up on GM in 2004 when they decided to void my warranty because I installed (quite neatly, I might add) a amateur radio.  I asked if they honored a warranty for police vehicles and the answer was to the affirmative so why are you voiding my warranty?  No answer.  EVER. 

I now own a 2019 (with several in between) Ford Explorer.  Zero issues and THEY DIDN'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID and take the government bailout.  Wife owns a 2016 Lincoln and says she will never sell it as she loves it too much.  Lost a loyal (like 50 years loyal) GM family, GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Wasn't it about 1984 that Procter & Gamble people replaced "car people" on GM's BOD?

YEP, but it's gotten worse since then, glad I made it 30 yrs and 4 months as an employee(two e's now), (they paid somebody Max suggestion award to eliminate the extra e on employe back before I started working.) LOL!!!! 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

I went to high school with Rick Wagoner. Definitely NOT a car nut! 🥵 Didn't we loose Oldsmobile and Pontiac under his leadership (and I use the term loosely)?

I think his sister Martha was more car/science person!😁

Of course I doubt Sloan or Durant could assemble an engine either!🤣

17 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I agree, she is clueless.

Ben

Not too sure I agree about Mary. She's the daughter of a GM lifer, a toolmaker, and got her degree from the GM Institute (now Kettering University). When Bob Lutz got there, things started to change with the product. The cheap, shiny, plastics are gone. The 5 products I have leased or purchased have been reliable. The only nagging trouble I've is with the Blue Def system in my Chevy Cruze diesel, and according to my wife's uncle, who owned a medium/heavy truck repair shop, they are troublesome industry wide. I'll take that issue all day as opposed to what VW did to their customers with their diesels.

I don't think she's made a mistake with electrics, either. Outside of Tesla, nobody has done much. She's investing $27 billion in the vehicles and battery technology. It'll take about 5 years to see how the ramp-up fares against Tesla. And then there is the Cruise division. Not liking the idea of self driving cars, but from a business perspective, that could be a big winner. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Of course I doubt Sloan or Durant could assemble an engine either!🤣

They had a good understanding of the flywheel effect. It's still spinning today.

GM, as others, appear to be building for the lease market. A growing percentage are meeting the product prices through leasing while the real buyers spend real cash on the low mileage lease turn in that sells for about 55 to 60% of the original price. There is a strong message when you think about that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 7:42 AM, edinmass said:

I couldn't of said it better !  That seems to be a trend in all aspects of life now. sad.

The TourX returned from the dealership at about 2:00 this afternoon. Not quite two months at the dealer. It came on a flatbed, so there's no tech or service guy I was able ask about details, but Melanie (my tech expert) sat in it for about 20 minutes playing with various features and proclaimed that they all appeared to be working correctly. There's no paperwork with it and since it was a warranty claim, no receipt. I'd like to know what they did to fix it so I'll call tomorrow and request some invoices or something to see what was done. 

I'm back to driving the Cadillac CTS and I installed the snow tires over the weekend. Melanie drove the TourX home and I think I'll just let her keep it. It's better in the winter than her Focus ST even with snow tires on it. We do have too many daily drivers now, so something has to go. The Cadillac is the logical choice since it's the oldest and has done all the depreciating it's going to do, but it doesn't piss me off. I may put the Ute up for sale just to see if I can find someone who wants it more than I do. 

We'll see what happens. Melanie using the Buick daily will prove that it is or isn't operational. Melanie loves technology as much as I hate it, so that might be a better match anyway. 

Anyone here want a Cadillac CTS 3.6 AWD wagon?

• Like 1

They fixed it...........only one month.......ask them for a written 90 day warranty extension added on to the delivered date.......shouldn’t be a problem. I would also ask them for a lost equity adjustment for not having a new car for 30 days, and no replacement car and no adjustment for insurance. Maybe a lifetime oil change option? There are monetary damages........your entitled to something. 

Imagine what was being said in the shop as they loaded the car on a roll back.........everything from “I’m glad that this guy is out of here”, to “wonder how long before it’s back”.............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I'm actually a delightful customer. I didn't call and pester them all the time, I didn't yell or make threats, I just let them work on it at their own pace. When they said it was done, I went to get it. It was still broken, so I left again. The only thing I said when I dropped it off the first time was that it was a gift from my wife, it was important for the car to not piss me off constantly, and it was their job to make it not do that. Hopefully they've succeeded. 

I'm not sure I want to ask GM for a lot of favors at this point. They gave me a pretty big pile of money a few months ago, I think we'll call it even if the Buick doesn't shiat the bed again. I don't have the energy to extract more payback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Melanie has been driving the TourX while I split my time between the Audi Ute and the Suburban (I'm working on a basement remodel so I've been running for supplies every night after work). Nevertheless, the Buick hits just keep coming. Apparently the rear differential is a known issue in these cars and--yep, you guessed it--mine is failing. A fairly audible howl is emanating from the rear of the car at speed, the usual failed rear end soundtrack.

Going back to the dealership next Tuesday, which is the soonest they could get it in. Differentials are backordered and come from Europe, and the Brexit thing is making them difficult to get. Isn't that lovely?

Hey, at least we've got almost 2800 miles on it now. Such a strong performance, Buick. Really, really impressive. I'll definitely buy from GM again (not). 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie has been driving the TourX while I split my time between the Audi Ute and the Suburban (I'm working on a basement remodel so I've been running for supplies every night after work). Nevertheless, the Buick hits just keep coming. Apparently the rear differential is a known issue in these cars and--yep, you guessed it--mine is failing. A fairly audible howl is emanating from the rear of the car at speed, the usual failed rear end soundtrack.

Going back to the dealership next Tuesday, which is the soonest they could get it in. Differentials are backordered and come from Europe, and the Brexit thing is making them difficult to get. Isn't that lovely?

Hey, at least we've got almost 2800 miles on it now. Such a strong performance, Buick. Really, really impressive. I'll definitely buy from GM again (not). 

Can you Lemon Law the car?

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt.......everybody knows the rear differential has never been perfected...........one must expect these types of issues on modern manufactured automobiles........hell they probably have only manufactured two billions of the things over the years. They only need another billion of them out the door to get it figured out. 

I actually find it astounding they have any issue, and they are made in Europe.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:34 AM, Car-Nicopia said:

Can you Lemon Law the car?

I investigated that option, but Ohio's lemon law seems to only apply in the first year or 18,000 miles (whichever occurs first), and we're obviously beyond the first year since we technically bought it second-hand (even though it was unused). We're kind of boned there.

I guess I'll just let them keep fixing it under warranty, which, at this point, should cover the car until it (or I) dies. This time, however, I'm going to insist on a loaner car.

If you got the car on a MSO - Manufactures Statement of Origin, IT WAS A NEW CAR. Title and registration paperwork should indicate it if you didn't copy it. 

PS- I deal in a lot of cars......NEVER EVER give anything to the registry or tax office unless you have a copy of it in the event things go sideways. It has saved me multiple. times over the years. 

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I investigated that option, but Ohio's lemon law seems to only apply in the first year or 18,000 miles (whichever occurs first), and we're obviously beyond the first year since we technically bought it second-hand (even though it was unused). We're kind of boned there.

I guess I'll just let them keep fixing it under warranty, which, at this point, should cover the car until it (or I) dies. This time, however, I'm going to insist on a loaner car.

Bummer. I grew up in a GM house (not that anyone worked for GM, we just only bought GM cars). Having a Chevy or a Pontiac was like rooting for the home team. But, your experience is consistent with my expectations of their current quality. ☹️

On 1/5/2021 at 2:44 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Going back to the dealership next Tuesday, which is the soonest they could get it in. Differentials are back ordered and come from Europe, and the Brexit thing is making them difficult to get. Isn't that lovely?

UK leaving the EU (Brexit) should have no effect on getting a part from mainland Europe (not UK). It may be manufactured by/for Opel (ex GM).  C19 is delaying manufactured goods and shipping world wide.

10 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

UK leaving the EU (Brexit) should have no effect on getting a part from mainland Europe (not UK). It may be manufactured by/for Opel (ex GM).  C19 is delaying manufactured goods and shipping world wide.

The TourX uses the GKN Twinster rear differential, same as a few other cars like the Ford Focus RS, Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover Evoq. Sadly, GKN is headquartered in England and right now, getting things shipped out of England is apparently very problematic. The dealership is hoping that maybe they can service the differential and change some bearings and seals to save it, but everything I've read about these failures say that it's either just a leak at the pinion shaft or a total failure. The leaks are just leaks and can be fixed with new seals and slingers, but the pronounced moaning that I'm hearing when coasting is pure worn gear sound. It's probably cooked. 

Sorry to hear about all the issues with your new car.  It saddens me to see how far GM has fallen because I have been a GM fan my entire life.

My Dad was a Ford fan so ribbing each other about our rivalry is one of many things I miss since he's been gone.

New cars are only going to keep adding more and more 'features' to their electronics as time goes on.

Things like backup cameras and TPMS are Federally mandated and it won't be long before all sorts of other 'features' are mandated by law.

35 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

The TourX uses the GKN Twinster rear differential, same as a few other cars like the Ford Focus RS, Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover Evoq. Sadly, GKN is headquartered in England and right now, getting things shipped out of England is apparently very problematic.

Brexit should not effect UK to USA trade.  Brexit is having an effect UK to EU trade/shipping

C19 is effecting trade with places closed and transport links compromised.  UK in lock-down so GKN will not be manufacturing - distributing goods.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Matt

Try Lemoning it.  Worst case, it won't work.  Best case, Dealer will go to bat with GM and they will pull it, write it off and destroy it.  

Cheaper to write you a check for it than to repair it.  Option 2--go online and put the longest, highest mileage factory warranty on it you can so THEY have to fix it for the next six or seven years or so.  Then drive it, let the kids drive it to school when they get their licenses, and every time it needs service show up at the Buick dealer with your extended warranty, pay the $50 or $100 deductible and let them fix it.   And fix it.   And fix it.  And fix it.  If it dies on the road and GM has road side service--call them, not AAA.

Oh--and when Melanie Drops it off at the dealership and you don't get a rental car, show up in the 41 or other REAL BUICK to pick her up.  Maybe with some creative signage on the old Buick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Brexit should not effect UK to USA trade.  Brexit is having an effect UK to EU trade/shipping

C19 is effecting trade with places closed and transport links compromised.  UK in lock-down so GKN will not be manufacturing - distributing goods.

Well, either way the dealer says that the differentials have been out of stock for a few months and they don't know when they will be available again. Weeks? Months? Nobody knows. 

I was unhappy with the car just because it was pesky. Now I positively hate it. I never want to see the motherf*cker again.

That makes me incredibly sad. What a rotten end to such a generous, kind gesture by a wonderful woman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think every new car has the same problems. We bought a new Subaru in 2016 and it has a 4" thick manual just on how to operate the on star, whatever that is,along with the phone which I never use.And what's with all those buttons on the steering wheel?I don't know how many times I've accidentally turned something on or off. Last week I thought my power window was going bad until I figured out how to reprogram it. I tried to order it with manual windows but they just laughed at me.At least it dose have a CD player and regular ignition key. Why can't we get what we want in New cars? Ludites Unite! 

On 2/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, Buick35 said:

I think every new car has the same problems. We bought a new Subaru in 2016 and it has a 4" thick manual just on how to operate the on star, whatever that is,along with the phone which I never use.And what's with all those buttons on the steering wheel?I don't know how many times I've accidentally turned something on or off. Last week I thought my power window was going bad until I figured out how to reprogram it. I tried to order it with manual windows but they just laughed at me.At least it dose have a CD player and regular ignition key. Why can't we get what we want in New cars? Ludites Unite! 

I want every bit of new tech possible squeezed into my daily drivers - mine does everything for me except go to that bathroom lol 

• Haha 1

Why do we still say "roll down the windows" and "don't touch the dial on the t.v?" I remember going to the dime store, now they're dollar stores and getting something out of the ice box.I might go back to using rabbit ears on my t.v.  those cable bills are ridiculous!Maybe I'll get a color set when the prices go down,just kidding.

Edited by Buick35
Add more text (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

LONG UPDATE: Dealer says they have a replacement rear axle coming and it should be here in late February. Rear end howl getting worse, but car is apparently still driveable--at least, we're going to keep driving it until it's fixed or fails entirely. Who cares? If it fails and the car careens into the ditch, maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise and I can sue GM for another big pile of money.

I continue to be completely frustrated by the electronics. I know this complaint may seem stupid and over-blown to some of you but it's nevertheless an almost constant irritant. A big part of it is that everything operates differently from how cars have operated for more than 100 years. This car demands frequent interaction with the computer to be fully functional. It is also glitchy as hell. For instance, my wife is Driver #2 and has the #2 key fob. She's been driving the car pretty much daily since we got it back from the dealer. For her, it flashes warnings about being Driver #2 and that it's cold out and there might be ice on the roads, but the warnings always go away on their own within a few seconds and without any drama. Great! Perfect! That's exactly what I want! I can totally live with that.

But sadly, when I drove it the other day to Home Depot using my Driver #1 key fob, the warnings DID NOT clear themselves. It was constantly switching between telling me I'm Driver #1 and that there might be ice on the road. I ignored it, expecting it to clear itself, but after about five minutes of driving, it started dinging at me, FORCING me to interact with it. I had to clear the messages manually, which, of course, involves taking my eyes off the road to figure out what terrifying emergency is going on that needs my immediate attention so desperately that there's a warning sound. Flat tire? Out of gas? Overheating? Child trapped under the car? Oh, I see. I'm Driver #1. Good to know. That was definitely an important message. Thanks, Buick!

What's worse, every time I use fob #1 it screws up the warnings for Melanie with fob #2 for a few days, and they stop self-canceling. It eventually gets its act together and goes back to self-cancelling for fob #2. Never for fob #1, though. Dealer doesn't know why and can't fix it. All the computers are new, so shoulder shrug. Our time and the dealer's time with the car is at about a 60:40 ratio at this point.

Yes, I get it, pushing a button a few times to clear a few warning messages is not a hardship. Nevertheless, WHY THE HELL do I have to do it every single time I start the car? Why is there such a manic necessity to tell me that I'm Driver #1? It's like if you had to clap your hands twice every time you wanted to flush the toilet. Yeah, no big deal, not really a hardship, but annoying and just why the hell did some engineer decide it's necessary? You'd get sick of it pretty fast, especially if you were used to a lifetime of toilets just simply flushing when you pressed the handle without the hand clap.

Then there's the serious lag between hitting virtually any switch or button and having something happen. The radio takes a second or two to change stations. Again, not a big deal except after 80 years of having radios in cars, that's not how they've traditionally worked. Press the button, the station changes. When I press the change station button in this car, however, a few things happen. First, nothing happens. In most cases, I assume it didn't get the message and hit the button again, resulting in a longer delay and the change of TWO stations, so I don't get the station I want anyway. Alternatively, sometimes I take my eyes off the road and look at the radio to make sure it got the message. How, exactly, is that better? This is some engineer programming that into the system because obviously GM can design radios that change the station instantly. I know because I own several of them. Someone made the conscious decision for it to operate this way. There's a little animation the radio screen does every time you change stations, so I guess the delay is so the animation can do its thing. I guess I'm supposed to watch and enjoy the animation as a value-added feature. Wow. Neat. That's EXACTLY what was missing from all my other car radios all these years. Thank God I finally have that feature in my life.

I seem to have a serious problem with these automatic tailgates. I sued GM when the CTS injured my hand by closing on it without warning. This Buick has a similar system, plus this hands-free mode where you just wave your foot under the bumper and it opens the tailgate. Useful for when your hands are full. So one night after work, with my hands full of Buick parts, I tried it. I waved my foot under the bumper and nothing happened. I waited a few seconds and did it again and still nothing. Then I bent down to put my stuff on the ground so I could open it manually and THEN it decides to open, whacking me in the forehead. COME ON! The delay was literally long enough for me to stand there, think that something went wrong, try again, and ultimately bend down to put my things on the ground. Maybe five or seven seconds. WHY?!? WHY!?! Why such a long delay between action and reaction? I feel like I should just keep a lawyer on retainer just to keep suing GM for being this stupid.

There's also a coating on the windshield to help with solar gain or something. Unfortunately, that coating interferes with the operation of EZ-Pass transmitters for toll roads. I took the car on the turnpike the other day and my transmitter didn't work they way it usually does. I had to back up in the toll gate, open the driver's window, and wave it around in the air to get it to activate the gate. Meanwhile traffic is stacking up behind me and I look like the a$$hole. I decided that if it happened again, I'd just ram through the gate--screw the car, maybe it'll be fatally wounded or impounded after a high-speed chase. Fords have a little square in the windshield where these transmitters can live where there is no coating to interfere. Someone was thinking at Ford, at least.

Unfortunately, none of this (except the failed rear axle) might be covered under the lemon law because it is, apparently, operating exactly as intended.

I told Melanie that I'm sorry, but I hate the stupid thing. She's OK with it now. She's driving it daily and we're deciding whether to sell the CTS or if I'll just keep driving that car until it turns back into its elemental components. Maybe we'll sell her Focus, which she loves dearly, or just dump this Buick at a fairly substantial loss and be done with it. Unfortunately, pretty much any other new car I buy instead of this Buick will probably be loaded up with equal amounts of tech, but at least I can test drive a few to see which one has the least stupid tech. I really want to like this car--obviously--but it's so frustrating to be irritated by a device every time you try to use it. I liken it to a really nice pair of shoes that hurt your feet when you wear them. Beautiful, you want to like them, you try wearing them over and over, maybe eventually you'll get used to it, but when they're hurting your feet, well, it just doesn't seem worth it. And everyone else is just so quick to point out how lucky I am just to have shoes because of all the people who don't have shoes and would love to have shoes, even shoes that hurt their feet, and by the way, all shoes hurt until you get used to them so suck it up and just deal with the pain.

So call me a whiner or a crybaby or a luddite or a fool, but when things don't work the way they have worked for decades because some engineer or marketing dipshiat decided it would be more interesting to do it differently, there is no functionality improvement and it is not better for the end user. It is less functional, not more. It's like Jaguar turning the shifter into a rotating knob that magically levitates out of the console or BMW putting all their controls on a joystick. Why? That's not helping. At all. Nobody asked for that. Nobody wants it, but since people still buy the cars, the automakers take it as confirmation that their decision was the right one.

It just sucks.

• Like 4

Thankfully for Buick, the TourX has overall excellent ratings and reviews and are totally opposite of your experience, you obviously got a lemon as far as issues and not sure why you have put off Lemon Law activity, as far as not being able to figure things out, well, that's just on the operator and suggest you buy an older car that you can handle