End of an era Lincoln Continental will cease production after 82 years

End of an era: Ford Motor Company says it is killing off 82-year-old historic Lincoln Continental, preferred four-door sedan of US presidents, due to lagging sales

• Ford Motor Company confirmed on Thursday that it will cease producing Lincoln Continental by end of 2020 
  • Dearborn, Michigan-based firm will continue offering 2021 version to its China market before discontinuing  
  • Once made famous by presidents and celebrities, only 7,000 Continentals were sold last year 
  •  The likes of Clarke Gable, Elvis Presley, Rita Hayworth and Jacqueline Kennedy owned Continentals
  • Ford will focus on its far more profitable fleets of crossovers and SUVs like F-Series and Ford Explorer
  • Continental was started by the Ford Motor Company in 1938 by Henry Ford's son, Edsel
  • But in recent years, foreign-made luxury sedans have outsold Continental while domestic firms made SUVs
  • Lincoln went on a 13-year hiatus in 2003 before reintroducing the Continental in 2015 

Rita Hayworth is photographed leaning against her new Continental in front of her bungalow, which she occupied while appearing in Columbia Pictures' You'll Never Get Rich in 1941 

Rita Hayworth is photographed leaning against her new Continental in front of her bungalow, which she occupied while appearing in Columbia Pictures' You'll Never Get Rich in 1941 

Mid-century: The 1956 Lincoln Continental Mk II is seen here. That same year, Warner Brothers gave Elizabeth Taylor a 1956 Continental with a custom paint color to match her eyes

Mid-century: The 1956 Lincoln Continental Mk II is seen here. That same year, Warner Brothers gave Elizabeth Taylor a 1956 Continental with a custom paint color to match her eyes

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

NOT a Lincoln. This Continental was from a separate division, the Continental division.

Good point, Keiser:  That was true for a while.

But then, the Continental Division was discontinued.

From the book, The Lincoln Motorcar, by Thomas Bonsall:

"When the 1957 models were announced on October 16, 1956,

however, a surprising number of modifications were in evidence

[to the Lincoln and the Continental].  One of the most interesting

was that the Continental Division had been abolished and the 

Mark II was now officially a product of the Lincoln Division, 

i.e. a Lincoln in name as well as in fact."

Later on, as subsequent Marks were brought out, Lincoln

always pictured the Mark II along with its descendants, proudly

considering the Mark II an esteemed part of the Lincoln family.

10 hours ago, 4Hud said:

Now these are added to our collection of orphan cars I guess.

Lincoln as a brand isn't going away;  they are concentrating

on utility vehicles and, I suppose, on their other car model.

Originally, an "orphan" car was one whose parent (parent company)

was dead, so that spare parts were hard to find.  That reduced the

desirability of owning such a car.  In more recent times, some 

collectors have expanded the title to a car merely no longer 

produced, such as Mercury.  But since Mercury's parent (Ford Motor Co.)

is still around, it's only an orphan in the broader sense.

Lincoln isn't an orphan in any sense--thankfully for now.

The late 1970's Lincolns were very popular, and they still are.

• Like 1

The current Continental seemed to get an above-average amount of care in design and launch by Ford. Build quality and care higher than typical. I thought that the design was rather conservative, too much "old man car," but that had been the car's demographic before.  Will Lincoln have any exclusive platforms after this, or only gussied up Fords?

Growing up in the used car business in Rochester, NY I saw the connection between mob status and brand ownership quite quickly. That always attached a "less than" stigma when I compared Lincoln to Cadillac. I wasn't connected but always chose the Buick or Cadillac.

When the MKZ hit the streets with a Mazda 6 platform I really took a dim view. Should have been the MKR for rhetorical (That's a Lincoln). That was 2005 and a lot of homogenization has happened at Buick and Cadillac since then as well. I keep trying out the new ones but after the drive I get back into my Silverado. The truck seems to ride better and out perform what is considered today's luxury car if you grew up with Boulevard Ride.

Bernie

• Like 1

The current gen MKZ is on the Fusion platform, but I think has the same weakness.  A dealer lent me one for a weekend - i thought the interior was excellent, the exterior good, but it drove like a Fusion.  Not badly, but like a Fusion  It seemed to me a car like the Camry-derived Lexus 350.  Pleasant and plush, but dynamics of a lower price point.

Meaning no offense here, but to your point on a truck vs modern luxury car:  true, but partly because old boulevard ride came at the expense of handling.  cushy on the highway, float and lean in corners.

The latest Continental was a very good looking car,

but it would have been more interesting if it came in

a variety of body styles, such as a coupe and convertible too.

If Lincoln still made a car like the Mark V, or maybe its smaller

successor the Mark VI, I would still aspire to the marque:

Great styling; 20 or more paint colors; vinyl roofs in a few

different configurations to match or contrast;  around 8

different velour interiors and at least the same number of

leather colors, to individualize your car;  designer editions;

coupled with a sumptuously comfortable ride.

The public agreed at the time, because after years of 

being far short of Cadillac sales, Lincoln's Mark V surpassed

the Eldorado.

It's not really 82 years, when there's been long breaks in the run. It'll probably be back at some point. 

I'm not particularly surprised. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. I think it's likely been several years. Navigators are common. The other model that doesn't have a real name is fairly common. But not the Continental.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Meaning no offense here, but to your point on a truck vs modern luxury car:  true, but partly because old boulevard ride came at the expense of handling.  cushy on the highway, float and lean in corners.

Correct, I have a BMW 760li and I find myself pushing it ever so slightly on a curve just to feel the motorized sway bars power up. But most of my driving is at 3,000 RPM or less. That car weighs 4900 pounds, has 440 HP, and a transmission that feels like a Dynaflow. It's the mass. You need mass and it's hard to find.

Somewhere in the early 1960's I read an article about chauffeurs. It stated a good one could drive with a full glass of water on the dash without spilling a drop. That stuck with me and I drive like that now, except rare occasions when I get a little nutsy. Some years back my wife and I went to dinner with a friend in his modern Rolls-Royce. He drives pretty heavy on both pedals. We got home and my wife told me my Buicks seemed to ride nicer than the Rolls. It was the driver.

I gave a thorough look at the latest Continental when it was introduced at the Rochester Auto Show. I liked a lot of the features. If the car was anywhere near as desirable as the model displaying it they would still be making them. And that's the opinion of a 72 year old luxury car fan.

• Like 1

I had a Mark III for some time, about thirty five years ago. I loved the look, but as indicated, there was absolutely no road feel. Now that I'm older I sometimes think that it would be nice to try one again. I have a friend who has quite a collection of 70's Continentals. That might be a way to get my feet wet again. But then there is garage space. Giving up a foot and a half of garage space would be hard to overcome.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, Mark Gregory said:

As others have noted - not a Lincoln. Lincoln is making a mistake.  What’s wrong with 7000 cars?   How many of the flagship Mercedes or BMW etc are sold ?  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ford is no longer a real player in the car production realm. Domestically, they sell trucks and SUV's. I'm sure shuttering plants, or reallocating resources is the consideration. Ford's mantra has become trucks. When Ford gave up on the full frame Crown Victoria based cars, including the Continental there was nothing left that satisfactorily took it's place. The mistake had already been made when the Crown Vic was dropped.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

For some reason, they are very common on the

market today--much unlike the regular 1969 Lincoln--

and you practically have your choice of colors!

1968-1971 Continental Mark III: 79,381 produced.  If only 1-2% still exist in all states of condition, that's still a lot of cars to choose from that are good to excellent.

Yes, the Mark III cars sold well, and many were produced.

Yet, the production of the other Lincolns exceeded them:

1969:  38,290 produced

1970:  37,695

1971:  35,551.

One would never know today that the other Lincolns were

more common.  On the Hemmings website, there are currently

SEVENTEEN Mark III's for sale, and only ONE of the regular

Lincoln in the 1969-71 range.  If the original production ratio

had held up, there would be TWENTY-FOUR of the regular

Lincolns for sale currently--not merely one.

I wrote an article for our regional newsletter:  Collectors'

preferences often distort the number of survivors.  Some rare cars

become common, and some common cars become rare.

Some models practically disappear without people noticing.

The Mark III, once an expensive and rather elite car,

has become a dime a dozen, though of course still a nice car.

The sad part is the fact that before they reintroduced the new model Lincoln had toyed with a model that paid homage to the Lincoln's of the 1960's. They would have probably done better. I looked at the new model and really wanted to say yes, but it was too small and very bland. It looked like any other car. Nothing special. Too bad. The entire Lincoln marque could follow soon as well.

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)

It's a little confusing to say Lincoln Continentals are stopping production after 82 years when Lincoln goes back to 1920. I don't keep track of the current Lincoln models so the original article needed a display of just what Lincolns are being made...not living in a town with new Lincolns in a showroom. A websearch gives us these Lincolns for 2020 :

• Navigator
  • Aviator
  • Nautilus
  • Corsair
  • Continental
  • MKZ

Who knew so many models! It looks like 4- and 6-cylinder engines, mostly in the 2.0-3.0 liter class. Back in 2005 -- a 5.4-liter SOHC Triton V-8 was in the Navigators. New prices are a little lower than I thought, and miles per gallon are a little higher than my current vehicle. So, they had six models and dropped one.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I was pretty thrilled to see the Corsair name come out last year...that's an Edsel name. Got to sit in one of the medium sized SUVs last year at the NY Auto show, not sure which model it was but it's the one that's based on the Ford Edge. Nautilus maybe? It felt just like our family Edge, only the seats were soft leather instead of the hard not-sure-if-leather-or-vinyl seats we have. I actually found ours more comfortable, actually. It was the second time I had ever been in a Lincoln. 

Edit: I checked my photos, it was the Nautilus. 

I think this model Continental from last year is going to be a rarity in the future. It's a rarity now, with only 80 produced. 24 years from now I expect to see these at AACA shows. 

2019 (8187)2019 (8188)

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I was pretty thrilled to see the Corsair name come out last year...that's an Edsel name.

The Corsair name was also used in the UK from 1964-70 on a model priced between the Cortina and the Zodiac.

Craig

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Edit: I checked my photos, it was the Nautilus. 

Ours is a Nautilus and we really like it, especially the ride. I recently heard they are going to be made in China. I hope I'm wrong but if that's the case it's going to take a sweet talking salesman to get me to consider another one. 

I had a 2013 MKX (Nautilus). It was a great car. I loved the luxury treatment I got at the dealership when I brought it in for service. I traded it in on my 2019 Challenger R/T. While it isn’t likely for me to buy another car, I would not consider one made in China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 2008 as a result of the economic downturn Ford chose to sell it's English luxury brands, Jaguar and land Rover, for $1.7B or about one third of what it paid for them. Mulally, president of the company at the time, indicated that it was imprudent to have a competing luxury brands to it's own domestic Lincoln/Continental brands. The sale also provided much needed capital, that helped Ford weather the recession. 

The problem with the refocusing idea was that while the British brands had an international recognition, and following, the Lincoln/Continental had none. The sale to Tata of the British brands paid dividends immediately. Tata of India made it clear that they were not a car company and knew nothing about production, and would return oversight to Coventry. Within the decade, using the Ford financed plant improvements, coupled with British management, Tata was able to completely repay the debt that it had incurred from the purchase. Sadly the Lincoln/Continental model never caught on internationally, and Continental became an asterisk in competition against the German and Japanese luxury models domestically.

Just an opinion, but I believe that moving production to China would enhance name recognition, in a huge Asian market, where it has not been before. My guess is that in a Chinese market, in which Buick and Tesla are already huge players, Ford is saying why not us? 

• Like 1

I'm just thinking here but it would seem the world is large enough for two production facilities. That and helping our communist friends who seem intent on destroying us economically wouldn't be in our best interest. Especially when they are the source of a major pandemic and then want to cut our supplies of medications. Is this really someone you want to enter into a business relation with????

I'm thinking not. As much as I like Ford products this is a hard pill for me to swallow.🤢

• Like 1

Tata is a holding company which owns, but has nothing to do with the day to day operations of any of it manufacturing concerns. 

Each Tata company or enterprise operates independently under the guidance and supervision of its own board of directors. There are 28 publicly-listed Tata enterprises with a combined market capitalisation of over $160 billion (INR 11,10,308 crore) as on March 31, 2019.