Old wives tales for cars

Buick35

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

In a related vein:   "Such and Such has a Duesenberg in the Barn".

Spoiler:  It is ALWAYS a Buick,  and once in a century a guy like me gets lucky and its a Stutz.

Mike West went to see a Nash Metro once ...and the barn had 3 Peerlesses in it...a 1927, & 2 1932s...and a Metro. 

• Like 1

AMBATR - I think the bit about the battery and the concrete floor depends on whether it is damp (dew will form in a cool basement) And damp+impurities = conduction. Just parking in a garage after snow/rain/carwash is liable to drop water. Concrete also holds moisture unless epoxied or has a similar coating. Mine is probably safe since dry/polished but not about to test. After all if it absorbs oil, why not water ? Just won't leave a stain.

Wives, huh. How about the 1949 Ford parked in a home garage with only six miles on the odometer. After following up and doing the detective work, there you are standing in the garage with the old man. He says "Yep. I bought it just for my wife and drove it from the dealer to here. If you look close you can still see her lipstick on the tailpipe."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RansomEli said:

I heard this from several people in the late-sixties early-seventies:

"If you take your Model A to the Ford dealer, he will swap it for a new car."

Last week i saw a Model A on the Chevrolet dealers used car lot.  A good $8,000 car for $15,000.   A stucco finish paint job,

yellow wall tires.  They said they allowed $13,000 on trade in for a new Chevy.   I think it will be there for awhile.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I take that statement with a grain of salt

Did you hear the one about the guy with brown eyes talking with a guy with gains of salt all over his chest.

I saved this picture because everyone sitting there lied to me in my formative years.

Crackerbarrel.thumb.jpg.9a795af8029aeb4ad0b5cb72f8ce044f.jpg

They heard them third or fourth hand but had told them so many times they believed they had done it themselves.

46 minutes ago, padgett said:

AMBATR - I think the bit about the battery and the concrete floor depends on whether it is damp (dew will form in a cool basement) And damp+impurities = conduction. Just parking in a garage after snow/rain/carwash is liable to drop water. Concrete also holds moisture unless epoxied or has a similar coating. Mine is probably safe since dry/polished but not about to test. After all if it absorbs oil, why not water ? Just won't leave a stain.

How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case?

• Thanks 1

There was a small outfit, somewhere in the midwest as I recall, that was building and selling exact replicas of 57 Chevys. They couldn't be  told from the real deal except for one very minor difference. They had small block MoPar engines. I believe GM had them shut down for various copyright and patent infringements. I think all of the cars were supposed to be recalled and crushed but they still show up at shows all the time

GM lawyers are not to be messed with. For years we had permission to post Reatta service and parts manuals that members had scanned. Then after the reorg, someone smelled a few pennies (Helm ?) and permission was revoked. Individuals can still post individual pages (for teaching purposes...). Today Helm only has the 89 Shop Manual available ($205) and none of the others or CDs.  90 is most needed. Fast lawyer could make a case that having been online for over a decade, had passed into public domain but Tom (web site owner) being a real person had no choice but to comply with the demand.

And then there was the "Custom Cloud" that RR took exception to.

Don't get me started on the evil uses of patents.

"How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case? " It doesn't but any used wet cell battery gets covered by acidic detritus particularly when being charged (why modern cars have vent tubes) that provides some conductivity. It only takes a few microamps to discharge over months. This surface charge/acid mist is also what causes white sulphate to form on terminals.

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Wives, huh. How about the 1949 Ford parked in a home garage with only six miles on the odometer. After following up and doing the detective work, there you are standing in the garage with the old man. He says "Yep. I bought it just for my wife and drove it from the dealer to here. If you look close you can still see her lipstick on the tailpipe."

Speaking of wives,mine wanted to join an exercise group to loose some weight. I told her not to because " Fat Wives Matter".

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

"How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case? " It doesn't but any used wet cell battery gets covered by acidic detritus particularly when being charged (why modern cars have vent tubes) that provides some conductivity. It only takes a few microamps to discharge over months. This surface charge/acid mist is also what causes white sulphate to form on terminals.

And yet, the path from the positive terminal on the battery case to the negative terminal is still shorter than the path to the concrete and results in a MUCH faster discharge...

Why does this magic conductive detritus (especially on sealed batteries) only work downward and not across the case? Does gravity pull the electrons harder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, padgett said:

I'd believe anything about a Ford, will never buy one. Though I think Jim Wangers was the first to drop a "special" engine in a magazine car.

He didn't, Royal Pontiac did the prepping and the dropping. Talk about deceiving the public  C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.1 sec @ 115 mph   ON STREET TIRES!

a) Link is not there. Were you referring to this one ?

b) Jim and Ace had a long standing relationship ever since Jim raced (and won) with one of Ace's Cats in 1960. (Catalina)

c) AFAIR there were two '64 GTOs, a red one and a blue one. Both started out as "body in the aisle" and were delivered to Royal with 421s already in place (Jim could get anything he wanted. Times were different then and Pontiac was already a maverick). Can probably get the serial numbers/build sheets if anyone cares.

d) Know Milt was asked Ace then, he knew of the 421 cars but do not recall if he worked on them.

e) Am undecided whether to replace the QJ on my Judge with a tripower or dual quads. Have both. Playing with the new-to-me 89 Allante now. Decided against the XLR.

re positive vs negative: english cars have the fuses on the ground (positive) side so the device will protect the fuse.

Are probably enough Lucas jokes for a book. My favorite is English beer is not served cold, it is served at room temperature (Lucas refrigerators). Of course room temperature is 38F (Lucas heaters)

Fred was young and newly married. He was putting all his money into building a new house so he was stuck driving a very worn 1928 Model A Ford. One day the radiator sprung a leak too big to repair. The only thing available at the junkyard where he bought his parts was a good 1931 radiator. Fred managed to cobble it in place but the '28 hood had a high rising slant up to the radiator.

On the following Saturday Fred bought some lumber for the house construction. He put the 2X4 16 footers across the roof and tied them securely to the front and rear bumpers.

On the way home he was stopped by a local cop who gave him the eye and proceeded to thoroughly inspect the car all around and under.

Upon completion the cop told Fred he was OK and could continue on. Fred asked what was wrong. "Well" the cop said, "your car looked like it had broken in half and you were using the 2X4's for a splint.

Told to me many years ago by....... Fred.

Bernie

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, padgett said:

a) Link is not there. Were you referring to this one ?

b) Jim and Ace had a long standing relationship ever since Jim raced (and won) with one of Ace's Cats in 1960. (Catalina)

c) AFAIR there were two '64 GTOs, a red one and a blue one. Both started out as "body in the aisle" and were delivered to Royal with 421s already in place (Jim could get anything he wanted. Times were different then and Pontiac was already a maverick). Can probably get the serial numbers/build sheets if anyone cares.

d) Know Milt was asked Ace then, he knew of the 421 cars but do not recall if he worked on them.

e) Am undecided whether to replace the QJ on my Judge with a tripower or dual quads. Have both. Playing with the new-to-me 89 Allante now. Decided against the XLR.

I don't think Jim did anything physical except rowing a shifter and depressing the throttle/brake and clutch. You made it sound like he actually got his hands dirty, that's all. I'll bet De Lorean had more to do with it than you think.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

re positive vs negative: english cars have the fuses on the ground (positive) side so the device will protect the fuse.

Are probably enough Lucas jokes for a book. My favorite is English beer is not served cold, it is served at room temperature (Lucas refrigerators). Of course room temperature is 38F (Lucas heaters)

Not all. Some English cars changed polarity.

In '32, Austins were positive ground. My '33 Austin 10 is the first year they changed to negative ground. 

Paul

What beer would that be??

How many times have you heard the story about the guy who bought a new ?????? and it got 50 miles to the gallon. One day he got a letter in the mail that said if he brought it back they would service his car for a super good price. When he got it back it would only get 12 miles to the gallon. Turns out the car was accidentally shipped with an experimental carburetor and manufacturer took it back.  

• Like 1

I hate to think of how many places I've been in where the batteries are stored in metal racks on concrete floors.  Some of those racks are bolted to the floor.  Interesting reading. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/02/storing-car-battery-concrete-floor-drain/

The distance between the negative and positive posts on some plastic cased batteries is only a couple inches and they don't go dead. 

12V 1.2AH Gel Cell Battery

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, padgett said:

and your point is ?

About what? 

Batteries don't go dead because they sat on concrete.  Store my batteries in a warm room on a dry  concrete floor every winter and no problems so far. 

The story about the super carburetor is a big farce. Been around since the 50's or earlier. 

Nothing is better than a toilet paper oil filter. Maybe and I might try one on the DeSoto just to make the Covid hoarders fume.  

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

7 hours ago, padgett said:

ACIDUC dETRITUS, didn't they open for THE SEX PISTOLS at Madison Square Garden??

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I saved this picture because everyone sitting there lied to me in my formative years.

Crackerbarrel.thumb.jpg.9a795af8029aeb4ad0b5cb72f8ce044f.jpg

Hocus-Pocus and Frisby!

A great Twilight Zone episode!👍

12 hours ago, Fossil said:

How many times have you heard the story about the guy who bought a new ?????? and it got 50 miles to the gallon. One day he got a letter in the mail that said if he brought it back they would service his car for a super good price. When he got it back it would only get 12 miles to the gallon. Turns out the car was accidentally shipped with an experimental carburetor and manufacturer took it back.  

There is actually some truth in this quote, just not about the mileage.

In 1932, Ford introduced the V-8, with the Detroit Lubricator carburetor.

Ford mechanics HATED the Detroit Lubricator carburetor (Cadillac, Graham, and Packard mechanics had no issues?????).

Most know the various stories of the relationship of Ford and Holley carburetor.

Late in the model year of 1933, 1000 Ford V-8's were delivered with a Bracke (division of Holley) experimental carburetor. Ford dealers were told to talk to the customers, and replace the Bracke with the Detroit carb at the first service.

Bracke Ford carburetor

Of course, in 1934, Ford switched to the Stromberg type EE-1 (2-barrel) on the V-8. However, Bracke did supply a two barrel carb for testing.

Bracke Ford two-barrel

I have yet to speak with anyone who has run a Bracke, or known anyone who has run a Bracke; thus I have no comment concerning its quality. It was a really unusual air-valve design.

And later Ford enthusiasts are aware that as soon as Holley came out with a conventional two-barrel (the AA-1 designed by Chandler-Groves, also a division of Holley), Ford switched to the Holley in 1939, thus continuing the relationship.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, padgett said:

My favorite is "Lucas - inventor of the three-position light switch - off, on, flicker".

Jon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On this creeping battery voltage, I bought an AGM battery at Pep Boys a while back. As I was checking out the salesman reached behind him and produced a bubble pack of these:

01b430dc-661e-458c-bef8-61064b77871b_1.dfb307f7de276b534d4f8fd82dcef483.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

He said "Many of our customers also buy these". I gave him one of those withering looks my daughter does so well and said "It's an AGM". With a sheepish smile he told me the boss made him do it. I

guess old guys aren't supposed to know about that moderin stuff.

I have always kept my batteries off the concrete floors. It isn't hard and I had other things to be concerned about. In fact there is a lead acid battery sitting in a plastic milk crate on my garage floor right now. I had to put it in parallel with that AGM I killed over the winter so my "smart" charger could figure out it had a dead battery to charge. The rescue was a success!

Life is never easy among the DC power users.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 8:56 AM, PFitz said:

Customer with a 90+ year old car.

Customer. "I have an all original car".

Me. "How do you know all the parts are original?"

Customer. "They were on it when I bought it."

Well, I know a guy that's getting close!  He will have

85 years of ownership in December.  He got a new

1936 Oldsmobile in Dec. 1935 and still owns and drives it.

• Haha 1