Two Week Shop Challenge

3macboys

I'm throwing this out there since to quote Red Green - We're all in this together - I challenge everyone to get out into the shop and tackle at least one project that you have been putting off for way too long.  We may as well take advantage of an apparent North American wide virtual quarantine and accomplish something!  For me I have a fuel supply issue to finally solve on a 1964 Dodge D300 Stake Truck - the last trip out resulted in a flatbed ride home.  Hoping that you will post your successes, or setbacks as we all get through the next few days and weeks. 

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Don 

• Like 4

I'm in! I am currently tackling many projects with my 38 Plymouth. I'm not really delaying anything except try to save as much money as possible wherever I can. I will plow ahead.  Have fun out there in your shops folks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Can you please post a photo of that Dodge stake truck? I'm not sure I've ever seen one from Dodge from that era.

Here you go Billy - it's a 20 footer but is always the only one where I go with it.  We actually use it as a shop truck as well, load it up with scrap or yard waste.  I can get about 5 yards of mulch for the gardens on it in the spring.  It was a $500 Ebay purchase that actually worked out.  It came out of Wyoming and near as we can tell it was a service truck in the oil industry out there.  It has aftermarket air along with a second air compressor to power tools.  It's still a work in progress and as you'll see in the next couple of pictures there's a birds nest of wiring that I'm still cutting out the extra bits that go no where.  

20191109_191854.jpg

20200313_130914.jpg

20200313_130940.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Back to my task at hand, before we got it an electric fuel pump had been added to the truck and the fuel tank is the side saddle tank/steps on the driver side.  The passenger side is just a dummy one at this point.  I don't think I'll ever add that to the mix, they hold probably around 30 gallons each.  It has for a lack of a better description rubber fuel lines (I know it's not really rubber but you all understand what I mean)  from the tank to the fuel pump and then from there up to the carb with a fuel filter inline just before the carb.  The line has gone hard between the pump and the tank and when I tried to pull it off the outflow side of the pump I actually pulled a fitting out of the pump (plastic housing so it pushed right back in).  I've replace the fuel filter already and that worked for about a 2 mile trip before it died and resulted in the flatbed ride home.  I'm working my way backwards to the pump which I'm now thinking was the wrong end to start on, but it was easier leaning over the front end then crawling on the ground underneath it.  Definitely time to replace the lines and then possibly the pump itself.  

20200313_104929.jpg

20200313_104940.jpg

49 minutes ago, padgett said:

I do not understand the run on TP. Can anyone explain ?

i suspect it's because most stores don't carry much spare because it's so bulky, so it only took a few people to start hoarding it to cause problems

21 hours ago, 3macboys said:

I'm throwing this out there since to quote Red Green - We're all in this together - I challenge everyone to get out into the shop and tackle at least one project that you have been putting off for way too long.  We may as well take advantage of an apparent North American wide virtual quarantine and accomplish something!  For me I have a fuel supply issue to finally solve on a 1964 Dodge D300 Stake Truck - the last trip out resulted in a flatbed ride home.  Hoping that you will post your successes, or setbacks as we all get through the next few days and weeks. 

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Don 

I love Red Green. I'm still waiting for "I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken" restaurants to show up in my town!

I've been refurbishing my '65 Thunderbird with new purpose now that everything's shut down. Only problem is, when I put on a mask to apply some paint, the neighbors thought I had the coronavirus!😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that it's been "on the shelf" but finally today reached that almost impossible 4th nut under the dash to get the speedometer head out.

IMG_6685.thumb.JPG.8f1efcd6885cdc6b7dbc35f6a0cbaa0e.JPG

Not much room with my big hand for access...

Should be fun to put in that good unit (on the left)!

IMG_6689.thumb.JPG.af481312619664b3ea2f7f14210c72cf.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, padgett said:

How do you plan to get the rolls on the spokes ?

Glad you asked, I'd start with an empty inner roll, cut it and slip it over the spoke, with all the free time unrolling a full roll on to the tube should give me something to do. 

• Haha 3

Finish putting the 66 fury back together after paint job . Love the dodge , my first truck was a 1969 camper special . Couldn't kill that truck wish I had it back . Kings32

• Like 1

Well...... It has finally warmed up here in southern New Mexico, (71 degrees), enough to paint my 1930 Franklin Sedan...... earlier in the fall I was able to sand it down to bare metal and paint a few coats of self etching primer on it.... then winter hit..... and we have had a lot of rain this winter for the southwest.  So now, I will be able to move it out into the open air and spray some matte finish, top coats on it..... Black fenders, Dark forest Green body...... Recently, I have been upholstering the seats and door panels, with Real upholstery Leather...... insulating the floor, inner cowl, inner door skins, inner firewall... with adhesive backed sound proofing material..... this winter I, R&R the steering column/box... and had it rebuilt..... bought and installed a complete, new exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe.... re-plumbing the brakes and did some re-wiring as well.

Getting 'her' ready to start using as my weekly driver into town.... Staying Home and working on projects...... is a way of life for me...... and with this New Virus, spreading..... I will be having very little contact with the 'outside' world......... just the wind, sun, trees, goats, garden, wife and myself...... in our own little, peaceful world.........   🙂   You know, I have never met a Terrorist ....... they don't exist in my world....  😏

• Like 1

In the next 2 weeks I'm going to be getting my latest car, 1981 Corvette that has been in a nice dry garage for 20 years back on the road. Needs the usual, gas drained, brakes, battery, etc. Doing a lot outside, so it's weather dependant.

At the same time I'm working on a 1968 Chev Impala 4 door that really needs a lot of attention. Any worse it would be a parts car.

chevparts 001.jpg

81vet.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DJK54 said:

11 days left of hernia surgery recovery. I then plan to remove transmission and engine from my 52 Plymouth and also go through the brake system. Been a long 6 weeks.

Good luck with the remainder of your recovery!  

• Like 1

We got the interior removed from the 68 Impala. Time to order floor pans. Corvette went for it's 1st spin  in 20 years today. Bad half shaft U-joint and another leaky caliper. Ordering parts. Have to get a starter and points for the Impala. It's a no start on the 307/ Powerglide ride!

81vet 001.jpg

chevparts 003.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:40 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Glad you asked, I'd start with an empty inner roll, cut it and slip it over the spoke, with all the free time unrolling a full roll on to the tube should give me something to do. 

You definitely have way too much free time on your hands...LOL..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a pair of side screens off eBay for my Mga , arrived last Friday , ordered new seal kit from Moss , Thursday came Saturday.

started today , extracted old seals and had my first bash at restoring aluminium frames . Pleased so far , second bash tomorrow or next week , so much time like to space jobs out .😀

image.jpg

Edited by Pilgrim65
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1