Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

There was an independent truck manufacturer in London ,Ontario in the early 1920's called the Barton and Rumble. I was  fortunate enough to meet Ross Barton,one of the co-founders of the company. He was an experienced machinist and lived nearby. He allowed me to copy a number of photos of these trucks.The factory is still standing,the front of which is now a beauty salon.

I can post some more of the photos here if anyone is interested.

Barton & Rumble Motor Truck Co. 1.jpg

Barton & Rumble 8.jpg

Barton & Rumble 6.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

There was an independent truck manufacturer in London ,Ontario in the early 1920's called the Barton and Rumble. I was  fortunate enough to meet Ross Barton,one of the co-founders of the company. He was an experienced machinist and lived nearby. He allowed me to copy a number of photos of these trucks.The factory is still standing,the front of which is now a beauty salon.

I can post some more of the photos here if anyone is interested.

Barton & Rumble 8.jpg

What is this demonstrating? That a fully loaded truck can crush beer kegs?

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, Matt Harwood said:

What is this demonstrating? That a fully loaded truck can crush beer kegs?

The truck was demonstrating the structural integrity of McClary's milk cans. The factory in London,Ontario built kitchen stoves,cans as in the photos, 1911 Ontario porcelain licence plates, and helmets for the Canadian army in both world wars. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, J.H.Boland said:

The truck was demonstrating the structural integrity of McClary's milk cans. The factory in London, Ontario, built kitchen stoves, cans as in the photos, 1911 Ontario porcelain licence plates, and helmets for the Canadian army in both world wars. 

Thank you for the answer! I assumed it was demonstrating something for the truck manufacturer, not the cans. That makes much more sense.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:43 AM, 1937hd45 said:

3.jpg

Probably a Ford plant other than Highland Park and later than 1915 but the setup is very similar. Taken from a caption in, Ford Methods and the Ford Shops:

"Two of the Centrifugal Wheel-Painting Machines:  the paint vats are mounted so that they can be raised and lowered for submerging the wheel."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

You order something, it finally arrives, you unpack it and find out they built it with the steering wheel is on the wrong side.🙄 Bob 

4fa364eb508568628af97feca2386a57.jpg

The location of this photo is the G A Hayton Ford agency in central Auckland, New Zealand. Date possibly 1916.

• Thanks 1

Any Packard Auto Show Car Pics Doozer??? During the teens, 1920's and 1930's in St.Paul Minnesota the auto show was held at times at the Willy's Overland Building. The building still stands on the border between St.Paul & Minneapolis Minnesota on University Ave. It was taken over in later years by International Harvester and is now office/warehouse space I believe.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just found these photos on a Google search, I'd never seen Model T Ford factory photos of the body assembly area. Bob 

668481.jpg

plant-Ford-Motor-Company-River-Rouge-Detroit-1925.jpg

Model T bodies were not made by Ford  There were several suppliers of the same body style, as no one company could produce what was required. There were small differences between them. Some of the companies have been identified, many others have not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Any Packard Auto Show Car Pics Doozer???

Just the chassis on swing pic, maybe a few more passive partials. I’ll look. In the meantime I have some Harley-Davidson side box pics if any interest.  1937hd45 ?

Edited by Doozer (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Think this is a '40 Packard

Caption reads "Opening of new Y.M.C.A. hostel by Gen. Wilson in old post office. Arrival of Gen. Sir Henry M. Wilson, just after alighting from car"

#155.jpg

Photo info

• Title: Opening of new Y.M.C.A. hostel by Gen. Wilson in old post office. Arrival of Gen. Sir Henry M. Wilson, just after alighting from car
  • Creator(s): Matson Photo Service, photographer
  • Date Created/Published: 1941 October 26.
  • Medium: 1 negative : nitrate ; 4 x 5 in.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-matpc-21110 (digital file from original)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication. For information see: "G. Eric and Edith Matson Photograph Collection," https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/res.258.mats
  • Call Number: LC-M33- 12354 [P&P]
  • Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
  • Notes:
Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

2 hours ago, coachJC said:

Winter time driving in the early days does not look like a lot of fun.

T in snow.jpg

Not to detract from this thread, but I thought it was relevant. Here's the editorial my 11-year-old son wrote for a recent issue of our club magazine. He also selected the photos.

1632273751_BackSeatDriver.thumb.jpg.f2daef90856f51603bec40fb0f36643c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Here are a couple of pics of what people believe are of the first or second Model Ts ever made. Henry Ford used it to test out some of his designs and make improvement where he thought necessary. These pics are supposedly after one of his camping trips with Edison and Firestone among others, that is why it is covered in mud.

prototype Model T 1.jpg

Ptrototype Model T 2.jpg

1919 Ford Model T with a Knickerbocker Unit.  I came across this photo recently and realized that a friend has a set of these Knickerbocker tractor wheels lying outside his house for "yard art".  He is a Model T guy and I am pretty sure he doesn't know what his yard art actually is.

19 Ford T tractor Clymer Scrapbook Ford T p81.JPG