Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

26 minutes ago, Doozer said:

The photos are silver gelatin. Some have pretty good detail using a magnifying glass. These shows were all in Missouri at the Willys-Overland building. I’m finding this morning with a magnifying glass that There are some overview type shots that show some luxury cars. I’ll keep posting or send the books to a friend to do it correctly. I’m just taking pics with my IPad. Thanks for the interest. I’m so pleased that you all seem to be enjoying them.  Rick

Here are few more:

B1249000-C098-40C5-B86B-0BD375826175.jpeg

Glad you are using the magifying glass - turns out there are cars out there in which no photo can be found of them and it turns out that you nee to look "in the background" - and that may be all that may ever be found.  

This Locomobile was literally close to a dot on a photo:  image.thumb.png.ea2539c63ee38109266956f938a0dc31.png

We were hunting pictures of the 1929 Stearns knight - the light colored car with the tan convertible top in middle of photo

image.thumb.png.48724eeb49f1715dde2cc2b31964b922.png

And, we found the Stearns Knight in this photo, but turns out both cars behind it are equally significant (a town car that is some odd duck on left and the landaulette on the right) and would be "dreamy' to find better photos of those too (actually most everything in this room is incredible).

image.thumb.png.66584b66b4a768c094af161099997732.png

14 minutes ago, Doozer said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Doozer said:

B1249000-C098-40C5-B86B-0BD375826175.jpeg

25458C4A-CBF1-4A09-B0AE-B6E51EF24345.jpeg

I believe the Lincoln Convertible Victoria in the upper photo is by Dietrich.

Notice the display chassis just visible in the center.

Also in the rear of the upper photo there is a body on chassis to display Lincoln's use of aluminum sheet metal.

In the lower photo there is a display board with the "guts" of an engine - I assume to show their machine tool work and quality.

Notice ALL the Lincoln's sport CHROME spare tire covers.

On the right of the upper photo is the Cadillac Display - the car next to the Lincoln is a Cadillac All Weather Phaeton (Convertible Sedan) sporting the earlier "boxy" metal spare tire covers and a Pilot Ray Driving lamp.

KEEP UP THE iPAD WORK - YOU ARE DOING GREAT !!!

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow you have the eye. I was PM’ing with A.J. Last night and told him that I really didn’t think there was anything good in the albums. I hope I was wrong in that assessment. Could you please tell me what this car is. Please keep your observations coming, much appreciated. Thanks Rick

FBD3F66A-E2F4-4E34-AD03-650629E093CF.jpeg

Edited by Doozer
Typo (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Wow you have the eye. I was PM’ing with A.J. Last night and told him that I really didn’t think there wasn’t anything good in the albums. I hope I was wrong in that assessment. Could you please tell me what this car is. Please keep your observations coming, much appreciated. Thanks Rick

FBD3F66A-E2F4-4E34-AD03-650629E093CF.jpeg

1929 Buick (rare body style in a Club Sedan)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On page 87 of this thread 1937hd45 posted a photo of a suspected Grout in service with the Whitman Grocery Company.  Taking a look in my musty dusty digital files I found a photo of a 1900 Grout in the service of Weston Motors.  The photo I have was gleaned from an online Google book.

Grout.jpg

1900 Grout Weston Steamer Delivery Van.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1906 Haynes Tonneau -- $2,550.  According to an online inflation calculator $2,550 in 1906 inflates to $73,453.87 in 2019.  The 2020 inflation calculation is not yet available.

I often think about the real world relative cost of these old automobiles.  $2,550 was a whopping lot of money back in 1906.  Little wonder that Henry Ford went for low cost and high quantity sales rather than high cost and low quantity sales.

06 Haynes Clymer Scrapbook Nr8 p57.JPG

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

1929 Buick (rare body style in a Club Sedan)

Looks like a 29-51 with the long  (129 inch) wheelbase. They were offered with four wheel options, standard wood spoke,artillery wood spoke,wire,and disc. Mine's a 29-41 (121" wheelbase) The front doors are a little narrower.

Nice original photo !

IMG_1463 (2).JPG

• Like 1

A little change of pace, have a book simply titled "Porsche" written by Herbert A. Quint, published in 1951 before his namesake cars were very well known. Book is written in German, so I'm limited to being able to show some early photos, perhaps someone can choose to translate the captions. The first is a line-up of VW-30 series Volkswagens dated January 1936, (for those curious, the original design drawings are in book, dated 1931 and 1932). Second photo is a field full of Porsche 356's dated 1950, so pretty early in their run. Finally a nice Porsche 356 touring in 1950 through the mountains, a wonderfully timeless beauty. it is interesting that both these timeless design idioms/concepts have had very very long lives, 90 years for the VW, and about 70 for Porsche.

Volkswagen 1936.jpeg

Porsche's in Field 1950.jpeg

Porsche 356  in Mountains 1950 (2).jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Model T Ford Ontario 1916.jpg

Didn't know that working drivers door on the Canadian bult T's was offered that early. Bob 

I believe all Ts built in Canada had working drivers door as some were for overseas sales with right hand drive. My 12 Canadian T has 4 doors that work.

Front doors are extremely hard to find for a 12 T being only made in Canada with many being  removed and lost way back when. Plus with many being shipped overseas. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Check out what was lurking in the background beyond the Lincoln exhibit: a Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood 'Madam X' Style 4175 seven passenger sedan/limousine!

'31 Lincoln K exhibit & Cadilac V16 Madame X - cropped.jpg

Lots of cool shots. Look at the 31 Caddy with the single Pilot Ray.............I have a photo of that car (I think it’s the same one) from another show.............can’t remember where it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I believe the Lincoln Convertible Victoria in the upper photo is by Dietrich.

Notice the display chassis just visible in the center.

Also in the rear of the upper photo there is a body on chassis to display Lincoln's use of aluminum sheet metal.

In the lower photo there is a display board with the "guts" of an engine - I assume to show their machine tool work and quality.

Notice ALL the Lincoln's sport CHROME spare tire covers.

On the right of the upper photo is the Cadillac Display - the car next to the Lincoln is a Cadillac All Weather Phaeton (Convertible Sedan) sporting the earlier "boxy" metal spare tire covers and a Pilot Ray Driving lamp.

KEEP UP THE iPAD WORK - YOU ARE DOING GREAT !!!

The open Lincoln could also possibly be Brunn. Either way, very neat car.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

F07877D3-78B6-4ACE-891B-DB3649EC40B6.jpeg

A friend found and sold one of those show models a few years ago. Story was they didn't get the floor space for more cars so models were built of other body styles. Bob 

I have actually seen a Marmon model car in person. Well done, and they were asking 15k about five to seven years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1