Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Thanks again to all of you who are keeping the photos "period images" or are trying to > I know the urge to share your thoughts , comments, and what you may find of interest is there but can we please keep this 'of the era' ? thank you .

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

autos4550.jpg

That little steam van is the cutest thing since sliced bread, or something!  It appears to be a Grout, manufactured in the same city as Whitman's grocery.  I'm a little mystified about how they managed to operate that control lever along the entire quadrant.

A little digging shows that Grout built a dozen of these for Whitman.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I would rather have the Plymouth than this running 100% original California truck.

IMG_3511.jpg

Are you sure it's from California? If so, what part? It looks more like some I've seen in the Chicago area over the years.... :D

• Like 1

Just now, StanleyRegister said:

That little steam van is the cutest thing since sliced bread, or something!  It appears to be a Grout, manufactured in the same city as Whitman's grocery.  I'm a little mystified about how they managed to operate that control lever along the entire quadrant.

A little digging shows that Grout built a dozen of these for Whitman.

With my limited knowledge of running a steam car if they bought 12 at least 2 were drivable  most days. 😊

Bob 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Are you sure it's from California? If so, what part? It looks more like some I've seen in the Chicago area over the years.... :D

Looks like it was pulled up from the Salton Sea!!

Craig

• Like 1

Here’s one for my Dodge Brothers brother, John Kieser. John my friend, long time no talk. Hope you are doing great. Love to see your garage all straightened out. This photo from 1931 car show is not so great but maybe you’ll be able to pic out some details that interest you. Rick in Charlotte  DH6

6AB06B0F-594D-49F2-9F6E-488DA81E3354.jpeg

57CA0F2D-2CC4-4FD7-AD86-9CD88EA4BE51.jpeg

Edited by Doozer (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Doozer said:

Wow! Glad some of you are enjoying my photos. I have read just about every post here for the last 15 years. I was, am , R_ajax peterson.

I no longer have the email I registered with and my last passcode won’t let me in. Last year I was speaking with Matt Harwood on the phone and he encouraged me to just get back on someway, glad I did.The photos I have posted came from three photo albums of car shows in Missouri. I purchased them in Ct back in 1982 at a yard sale. Many pics are not cars but car related. Also tiny racing boats, some small airplanes and trucks. 

For me to be OK in Ed Minnies book is the “Bees Knees”. Have seven more photos of that pierce.

ADC8615D-79C1-48E1-B3D4-37A2D4AFCE62.jpeg

With seven more, you get to choose two rides! 👍👍👍

• Like 2

I own an identical car... without the jewelry. 1931 Pierce-Arrow Model 42 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Smarter money would have bought this, and kept $80,000 in the bank.  Bob 

CCC-neferteri-part-3-20000-duesenberg.jpg

I would have taken the Pierce............ALWAYS go for the money!

And one last note, the 20 Grand or Arlington was top of the line for Duesenberg, But you could order a PII out of the catalog for 28,000 and change.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Did he say either "high end" or "pre war"?    Eddy may be alluding to his Tercel.

Oh, I've has some rides in 'high end' cars back in the 1960's, where you could count the number of bolts on the rear differential while standing up a few feet behind it.   They all handled like a grocery cart on corners.

Craig

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Doozer said:

Here’s one for my Dodge Brothers brother, John Kieser. John my friend, long time no talk. Hope you are doing great. Love to see your garage all straightened out. This photo from 1931 car show is not so great but maybe you’ll be able to pic out some details that interest you. Rick in Charlotte  DH6

6AB06B0F-594D-49F2-9F6E-488DA81E3354.jpeg

57CA0F2D-2CC4-4FD7-AD86-9CD88EA4BE51.jpeg

Auburns to the left.

• Like 1

The photos are silver gelatin. Some have pretty good detail using a magnifying glass. These shows were all in Missouri at the Willys-Overland building. I’m finding this morning with a magnifying glass that There are some overview type shots that show some luxury cars. I’ll keep posting or send the books to a friend to do it correctly. I’m just taking pics with my IPad. Thanks for the interest. I’m so pleased that you all seem to be enjoying them.  Rick

Here are few more:

B1249000-C098-40C5-B86B-0BD375826175.jpeg

25458C4A-CBF1-4A09-B0AE-B6E51EF24345.jpeg

AE4B6052-EFCF-434B-A8B5-4C251FB85F4A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1